• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam worth watching? I'm on episode 5 of Turn A Gundam and I hate Sochie already. Other than that, shit got real right after the second episode. I like.

It's a shame you don't like Sochie. I personally thought she was awesome. One of my favorite characters in the franchise, even.

As for Victory, I thought it was pretty cool. Both it and Turn A have the same sort of dream-like mellow tone, though Victory is known for its high death count.

Victory has an amazing soundtrack. And Uso is a pretty awesome protagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVO5tQgjnJw

I like her character, but she adds unnecessary drama to the story. I don't like how both sides are making really dumb decisions in regards to the entire conflict.

That's the whole point of the story though. How both sides don't know how to communicate with each other, which leads to breakdowns in negotiations which escalate into conflict. I especailly love the first 10 episodes of Turn A. The scenes with Kihel and Dianna are so damn charming

I don't like how both sides are making really dumb decisions in regards to the entire conflict.
There are clear reasons for why all the sides behave the way they do. Even ignoring that dumb people doing dumb things and fighting for dumb reasons is pretty much a give in any Tomino show. In the case of Turn A it's far less blatant than his other shows, including several gundam series.

Has anyone else seen Mobile Suit SD Gundam? I'm not talking about SD Gundam Force and the later series but Mobile Suit SD Gundam Mk I to Mk V. These were made in the late 80s and featured characters from the main UC series, original, Z, and ZZ. As the name suggests they are animated in SD form and appear in various humorous shorts. As far as I can tell there is no persistent world or overall plot. It's funny to watch such normally serious characters appear in a parody of sorts.

There is no Western release for this so you will have to watch them as fansubs. The DVD boxset was released in Japan a few years back but has since gone out of print.

http://dimensionalarea.net/SDGF/bbmedia/2007-sdgcollectionbox.htm

There are toilet jokes, Gundam in-jokes, nudity and jokes about colony drops (too soon). One of their best episodes has them parodying the classic Wacky Races show from Hanna-Barbera. In it Yazan Gable appears as Dick Dastardly and Gemon Bajack as Muttley.

iS510SB.gif

And my favorite racer Nise Gundam. How can you not fall in love with the little guy? He's just looking for friends.

Ttc3jIC.png

Some of the humor is Japanese in flavor.

bEM6y9p.png

Some of the episodes are on Youtube. There's the Gundam Olympics, Zeon Hotel, an RPG parody and a cabaret-style show featuring the Gundam girls.

SD Gundam Mk I - 01
SD Gundam Mk I - 02
SD Gundam Mk I - 03
SD Gundam Mk II - 01
SD Gundam Mk II - 02

SD Gundam Mk V crazy race part 1
SD Gundam Mk V crazy race part 2

My favorite is the JRPG episode and the SD Gundam Counterattack. Christina was especially awesome. "DON'T YOU WANT GIRLFRIENDS!?!?!?!?!"

Haha, was going to post a GIF of that scene but decided against it. The character design is hilarious especially Lalah and Kamille.

Fj6fszp.gif

In the "Rolling Colony Affair" episode all the girls dancing were animated to look like ghosts. Then I realized that most of them are dead. :/

Sojgat

Please help me GAF.

I've always wanted to get into the UC stuff, so today I bought everything available on dvd, except for 0079.

Which is better, the original series or the compilation movies?

I prefer the TV series. A lot of great moments in there didn't make it into the movie trilogy. That said, the third movie IS good, and the new scenes added are pretty decent.

I particularly like the scenes with Degwin and the Prime Minister of Zeon
. Meguriai is a wonderful song.

Whoa a lot of crazy people suddenly just started talking in here. Well not a lot, just two. Don't listen to them.

Watch the compilation movies, they are clearly better in every way. Improved animation, better plot and pacing, several half hour toy commercials cut. If you really liked that then maybe sometime later you can the television series, Japan is getting a bluray release at some point in time.

Either's fine, but I prefer the show. Gives more breathing room to the characters and story, even though it's not often used to as well as it could be.

It's not an SDF Macross/DYRL situation where one is clearly superior to the other (the show, in that case). Maybe it's best to watch the compilation movies to see if 0079 is for you, then watch the series if you feel like fleshing out the experience. I simply went straight to the show and enjoyed that, warts and all, though.

It also depends on if you're a sub vs dub guy. If you're subs, then watching the movies is perfectly fine. If you're a dub guy AVOID the movie. The show has a pretty good dub though.

It's not an SDF Macross/DYRL situation where one is clearly superior to the other (the show, in that case). Maybe it's best to watch the compilation movies to see if 0079 is for you, then watch the series if you feel like fleshing out the experience. I simply went straight to the show and enjoyed that, warts and all, though.

But DYRL is a cinematic masterpiece for its time. The animation is especially top notch, the MMM (Macross Missle Massacre) effects are just sublime, although admittedly the plot and pacing suffers due to the compression of the entire series. Having watched it after the series, I found all the eye candy to be the biggest improvement over the original series. It suffers in the other aspects though.

I rewatched my Blu-ray of DYRL a few weeks ago and still find that movie to be incredibly impressive. The series makes more sense, but DYRL is no slouch.

CorvoSol

Can someone explain to me why everyone in Zeta wants Char to take over the world? Why would Amuro want that? I can get forgiving the guy for all the evil he's done, but its one thing to forgive and another to want that guy to run the world.

frye

Can someone explain to me why everyone in Zeta wants Char to take over the world? Why would Amuro want that? I can get forgiving the guy for all the evil he's done, but its one thing to forgive and another to want that guy to run the world.

He has 1) the proper ideals and 2) legitimacy that comes from being a hero of the Principality and 3) legitimacy that comes from being the proper son of Zeon.

tbh, the "worst" thing he's done was setting up Garma but no one really knew that for sure, unless I'm missing your point about his evils. It's not like he was gassing colonies or dropping asteroids yet.

e: and of course, it's not really "taking over the world" or whatever -- they just want him to lead the AEUG and, by extension, the movement toward space sovereignty.

Shizuoka Hobby Fair is next week in Japan and rumor has it that they're going to unveil Master Grade 3.0 there.

Kind of odd. There aren't even that many 2.0s yet.

Beth Cyra

Shizuoka Hobby Fair is next week in Japan and rumor has it that they're going to unveil Master Grade 3.0 there.

I never complain about RX-78-2, because I know what it means to Gundam. However, if this really is just a RX-78-2 3.0, I will be offically done with Gunpla. The majority of releases are not as good as RX or Zaku 2.0, and they don't need 3.0's.

Fuck the RG RX-78-2 needs a 2.0 far more then the fucking MG 2.0 needs a 3.0.

The only thing I can think of that would cause them to go to 3.0 so quickly is a new design technology that can be utilized in the frames

Beth Cyra

The only thing I can think of that would cause them to go to 3.0 so quickly is a new design technology that can be utilized in the frames

Then introduce this shit with Sazabi Ver Ka or something that actually needs an update from the UC. RX-78-2 doesn't need this shit right now.

Or at least give me a god damn fucking Alex 2.0 for fuck sake Bandai.

Wubby

I'll be going there next Sunday. I'll take pictures but by Sunday there will already be tons of shots all over the web. Wish I could go Saturday but have to work.

CorvoSol

He has 1) the proper ideals and 2) legitimacy that comes from being a hero of the Principality and 3) legitimacy that comes from being the proper son of Zeon.

tbh, the "worst" thing he's done was setting up Garma but no one really knew that for sure, unless I'm missing your point about his evils. It's not like he was gassing colonies or dropping asteroids yet.

e: and of course, it's not really "taking over the world" or whatever -- they just want him to lead the AEUG and, by extension, the movement toward space sovereignty.

His ideology is that gravity shackles people's souls to the planet. That's crazy.

He killed his best friend. More to the point he spent an entire year trying to kill Amuro and company. Why are they sucking him off suddenly?

Zeon are the defeated party in a war that left a lot of people dead or angry, why would anyone give two damns about the fact that Char Aznable was actually the son of Zeon? It doesn't even matter that the Zabis were different from Char's family, because the word is synonymous with them, now.

1 - "His ideology is that gravity shackles a person's soul"

I wouldn't look too much into that term. It's more of a buzz-phrase than anything. His true ideology is that people need to leave Earth so that a)It can recover from the pollution humanity has done to it and b) by completing its migration into space, humanity will further its evolution into space (Newtypes)

2 - "He killed his best friend"

Most people don't know that.

3 - "More to the point, he spent a year (actually only like 3 months) trying to kill Amuro and company. Why are they sucking him off all of a sudden."
Obviously Kai has his misgivings about trusting Char, and Amuro is initially suspicious of him. But Amuro has a very complicated relationship with Char, and I think the others just write it off as nothing personal, that they had just been on the wrong sides of the war

4- " why would anyone give two damns about the fact that Char Aznable was actually the son of Zeon? It doesn't even matter that the Zabis were different from Char's family, because the word is synonymous with them, now."

No, the Deikun family and the Zabi are most definitely not viewed as synonymous by people in UC . Zeon Deikun was literally the most beloved person in the Earth Sphere prior to his assassination. He was a viewed as a guiding light, a true leader and visionary and his philosophies (contolism and ereism, not to mention Newtypism) changed the way people thought. With Char resurfacing and revealing himself to be Casval Deikun, people believed he would take after his father and stand as a man of integrity.

CorvoSol

1 - "His ideology is that gravity shackles a person's soul"

I wouldn't look too much into that term. It's more of a buzz-phrase than anything. His true ideology is that people need to leave Earth so that a)It can recover from the pollution humanity has done to it and b) by completing its migration into space, humanity will further its evolution into space (Newtypes)

2 - "He killed his best friend"

Most people don't know that.

3 - "More to the point, he spent a YEAR trying to kill Amuro and company. Why are they sucking him off all of a sudden."
Obviously Kai has his misgivings about trusting Char, and Amuro is initially suspicious of him. But Amuro has a very complicated relationship with Char, and I think the others just write it off as nothing personal, that they had just been on the wrong sides of the war

4- " why would anyone give two damns about the fact that Char Aznable was actually the son of Zeon? It doesn't even matter that the Zabis were different from Char's family, because the word is synonymous with them, now."

No, the Deikun family and the Zabi are most definitely not viewed as synonymous by people in UC . Zeon Deikun was literally the most beloved person in the Earth Sphere prior to his assassination. He was a viewed as a guiding light, a true leader and visionary and his philosophies (contolism and ereism, not to mention Newtypism) changed the way people thought. With Char resurfacing and revealing himself to be Casval Deikun, people believed he would take after his father and stand as a man of integrity.

I'm not talking about the two families. I'm talking about the word "Zeon" which, unless there's some serious stuff to explain away all I've seen on screen so far, most certainly has been associated with the Principality of Zeon. When they say "The Ghost of Zeon!" they're not referring to a Deikun. When they say "Zeon remnants" they're not talking about supporters of Zeon Deikun. And so on and so on and so on. Zeon means the Principality of Zeon in Zeta Gundam, and Zeon Deikun is a name rarely ever mentioned by ANYONE. As in, he was barely even discussed in MSG, and aside from Char saying he's his son, nobody has ever spoken about this guy in Zeta.

But any way you slice it, Char being built up as the successor to his father makes no sense. No one has good reason to believe that the Red Comet and feared Zeon soldier will for some reason be a guiding light and benevolent leader. Hell, nothing Char has done for the past 40 episodes suggests he would be. He spends most of his time moping and half his inner thoughts reveals he's too busy obsessing over Amuro and Lalah to care about the world. The only thing I can think of, really, is that the AEUG is desperate for a figurehead who can be charismatic enough to lead people away from the Titans.

frye

My point is, Char is in a unique position in which he is appealing to BOTH factions. He's got cred from being a soldier of the Zabi-led Principality with as well as cred from being the son of Deikun with more moderate cats.

The fact he hasn't shown his abilities as a leader is part of the idea - it's why Kamille is pissed at him later in the series.

Have you reached his speech in Dakar yet?

CorvoSol

My point is, Char is in a unique position in which he is appealing to BOTH factions. He's got cred from being a soldier of the Zabi-led Principality with as well as cred from being the son of Deikun with more moderate cats.

The fact he hasn't shown his abilities as a leader is part of the idea - it's why Kamille is pissed at him later in the series.

Have you reached his speech in Dakar yet?

Yeah, his speech is why I'm confused. Char starts out pointing out that the Titans are evil, then rambles about needing to evacuate the Earth because of desertification and gravity being the root of all evil. And it was just kinda the end of a long and confusing stretch of people inexplicably wanting Char to rule the world.

But any way you slice it, Char being built up as the successor to his father makes no sense. No one has good reason to believe that the Red Comet and feared Zeon soldier will for some reason be a guiding light and benevolent leader. Hell, nothing Char has done for the past 40 episodes suggests he would be. He spends most of his time moping and half his inner thoughts reveals he's too busy obsessing over Amuro and Lalah to care about the world.

Think of it this way. Most people in Gundam hate the Principality of Zeon (except those who don't >_>). Even the Federation Puppet government the Republic of Zeon (which is led by the former Prime Minister of the Principality, Darcia Bakharov btw) fought against Axis Zeon. There are plenty of former Principality of Zeon soldiers who hate Zeon after the war, when they realized they had been brainwashed by the Zabis. The post-OYW movements are actually pretty small, since only the hardest of the hardcore are still carrying the banner. Axis, for example, is mostly made up of former Principality nobility who knew that they would probably be charged with war crimes after the war and thus fled to the asteroid belt. But most Zeon soldiers returned home to Side 3.

Like you said, there is probably no reason to assume Char would take on his father's mantle. He clearly doesn't want that himself. He spent so much of his time wearing the mask of Char and after the One Year War, that mask was no longer necessary. His singular goal up to that point was complete. The Zabis (with the exception of Mineva, whom he hold guiltless) are all dead. And thus he has no goal anymore. Furthermore, the only person he cared about, his protege, was dead. And so he took on a new mask, that of Quattro Bajeena. Obviously those close to him could guess his identity, such as Blex. And the reason why Blex was pushing so hard for Quattro to come out and become the leader of the AEUG and declare himself openly is because it gives the AEUG legitimacy. First and foremost, the AEUG is a Spacenoid movement. The show makes it a point to separate the AEUG from Karaba. With the son of Zeon Deikun in charge, it makes things look a lot better.

At the end of the day, they aren't sucking Char Aznable, Zeon's Red Comet's cock. They aren't even sucking Casval Deikun's cock. They're sucking Zeon Deikun's son's cock. Because really, that's all he is to the world and he knows it. He even acknowledges it in Char's Counterattack

frye

people inexplicably wanting Char to rule the world.

Yeah, I think this might be the part where we disagree?

They want Char to be a representative for Spacenoids in some way, to advocate things on their behalf. In other words, they want a politician, not a king. As for why they chose him in particular: why not? Like I said, he's in a position where he can unite most spacenoids under one banner. He's distinguished himself on the battlefield and he's got an important name (whether this is actually a good judge of leadership is up for debate obvs, but that shit is appealing). He's got the right ideas (Get People The Fuck Off Earth). He's good looking and smart and charismatic. He's basically everything they could want in one dude.

Beth Cyra

Hey there Gundam Gaf, I'm on still on my selling rampage and completely destroying my collection.

I will try else where later, but I decided I much rather help out my fellow Gaffers if any of them are interested.

I decided I'm just going to sell off my Gundam Unicorn collection. Vol 1 is opened and viewed, but the other 5 are completely brand new and sealed.

Going by Amazon they tend to be between 50-60 a pop (aside from Vol 1 which is generally 40) so I was thinking of asking 235 for all 6 Blu Rays. Given Vol 1 is open and I want to sell them in bulk I think 235 Shipped is fair since if you averaged it out the total would be nearly 300.

Granted this is only really for someone who really wants to get into Unicorn, but I figured I would give someone here a shot for a bit of a reduced price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom