• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I heard the original MSG OP, I actually cringed. Not because it was bad but I suppose it's nothing like the OPs from the newer series. It's like from a totally different era.

That's because it is lol. Its contemporaries like Mazinger and Getter Robo had similar sounding OPs tailored to the 70s too.

It was aired before most of Gundam GAF even existed, myself included. It was an era with different musical sensibilities. Funnily enough, you can accurately gauge musical trends that were popular in Japan at the time of production by watching each series' OPs and EDs.

How many members of Japan GundamGAF can even claim to have watched the first airing of Gundam 0079 on television?

Probably nil.

Beth Cyra

lol

This made me also go back and listen to the Gundam Wing OPs

So much nostalgia. I can't take it ;_;

The best thing to come out of Wing aside from Treize was it's music. It had great OP's and even then alot of music used in the show wasn't just unique for Gundam but had a really unique feel compared to any anime.

Probably still my favorite Gundam Soundtrack with only SEED giving it a run for it's money.

Dead

well not really...yet
Destiny had a pretty great OST too.

The music for the finale was amazing. I bought the Symphony album for it and they made like a long suite of the final episode music and it was pretty incredible.

Listening to it, you'd think that final episode was something special.

lol

edit: found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJGpblzYhU

CorvoSol

If I recall, she didn't like all the special treatment Cecily was getting.

But...

I like pretty much every Gundam OP from the beginning up until Turn A. I passionately hate Seed's OPs. 00's are better, but not my cup of tea ultimately. I AM rather fond of Age's first three OPs. The show is poorly constructed, but it had some good theme music. Especially the third one

I hated AGE's OPs, but I did like 00's. Just about the only likeable thing in the series. And SEED had one I liked. Destiny's were my jam for awhile.

While we're on the subject of OPs and EDs, Gundam X's OPs are often lauded, but I feel its EDs are often unappreciated.

Especially the 1st ED, Human Touch.

Love this one a lot, that musical style was really quite prominent in the 90s. Seems to have died out in the 21st century.

Beth Cyra

I guess I will post this here.

I'm buying a new place and have had to sell off a few figures (like my Figma Zero Suit Samus) and was wondering if anyone in Gundam Gaf would be interested in a Master Grade MSZ 006-3 White Unicorn.

It's all mostly new and the box is in good condition. All runners are still intact with all of them still being sealed with the exception of one which was how I received it. All marking Seals and decals are also sealed.

I've had a few private offers but I hadn't decided yet and figured I would throw it out here incase anyone has had a tough time getting their hands on him and would like to make me an offer.

Beth Cyra

Yeah it's an LM Master Grade they released a few years back. Can be a total pain (sometimes) to find new, sealed bag versions in NA if you don't want or refuse to use things like Yahoo Japan or other second hand import shops.

Thing is I just recently picked up the Online Exclusive Zeta White Unicorn Real Grade and that really is good enough so I don't need two huge Zeta Master Grades.

Yeah it's an LM Master Grade they released a few years back. Can be a total pain (sometimes) to find new, sealed bag versions in NA if you don't want or refuse to use things like Yahoo Japan or other second hand import shops.

Thing is I just recently picked up the Online Exclusive Zeta White Unicorn Real Grade and that really is good enough so I don't need two huge Zeta Master Grades.

I had a Delta Plus Master Grade. Let us just say I don't trust that frame. Shit is too fragile for my hand size/dexterity/patience level. Sounds like you will move it no problem, just a question of how much, so good luck.

That is a nice looking real grade. But I don't want to imagine trying to transform it into waverider mode.

Trust You Forever clean OP. Zeta and 0083 OPs are great as well.

Thanks, lots of nice quality versions on that channel.

Man, I really need to pay attention to con/online exclusives. Apparently there are some pretty nice limited edition color variations and what not that I had no idea existed.

Beth Cyra

I had a Delta Plus Master Grade. Let us just say I don't trust that frame. Shit is too fragile for my hand size/dexterity/patience level. Sounds like you will move it no problem, just a question of how much, so good luck.

That is a nice looking real grade. But I don't want to imagine trying to transform it into waverider mode.

Thanks, lots of nice quality versions on that channel.
The Master Grade Zeta 2.0 and Delta Plus are very different. They share a few similarities like the head elevator but overall vastly different feels. The 2.0 is much bulkier and more Stable, just has a problem with standing but the reason is very much different then DP's flat foot issue.

Man, I really need to pay attention to con/online exclusives. Apparently there are some pretty nice limited edition color variations and what not that I had no idea existed.
We do get some good stuff, though a lot of its moving online.

Just waiting on the Hein Destiny Recolor. The RG line get recolors and rereleases at a pretty decent tick so with Hien or Blue Destiny should becoming in the near future.

The Master Grade Zeta 2.0 and Delta Plus are very different. They share a few similarities like the head elevator but overall vastly different feels. The 2.0 is much bulkier and more Stable, just has a problem with standing but the reason is very much different then DP's flat foot issue.

Ah, I see. I did hear that the Delta Plus was one of the more difficult to do the transformation as well, maybe I'll give the 2.0 a shot if the price is right down the road.

Also, con/online exclusives suck, especially if they are Japan only. I say this as an unbiased person who needs google translate to even figure out what the hell I'm reading before submitting it to a middle man.

I still love the hell out of this badboy, though, totally worth the hassle:

edit: Just noticed hand. Not my picture, I promise!

Just waiting on the Hein Destiny Recolor. The RG line get recolors and rereleases at a pretty decent tick so with Hien or Blue Destiny should becoming in the near future.

Custom I just looked up online looks cool in those colors. I wish there was a variation on the show where he got the Destiny.

Beth Cyra

Ah, I see. I did hear that the Delta Plus was one of the more difficult to do the transformation as well, maybe I'll give the 2.0 a shot if the price is right down the road.

Also, con/online exclusives suck, especially if they are Japan only. I say this as an unbiased person who needs google translate to even figure out what the hell I'm reading before submitting it to a middle man.

I still love the hell out of this badboy, though, totally worth the hassle:

They can be.

For me Tallgeese 2 is my pride and joy even though he's not rare, still I wish they had given Trieze a full release.

Also definitely check out the regular 2.0 if you either a fan of Zeta or just good models. I don't care for it as much, but that is only because of my dislike of the Gundam's design and its pilot. Outside of the feet though, the model is great.

The Hien Destiny actually got a release by Bandai, it was a MG show exclusive. Thing is I hate Destiny so I ain't paying those kinda prices, but 60/70 for an RG online exclusive I will be able to manage.

As a rule, HGs aren't very hard to put together. You just have to concentrate and follow the diagrams, and in 4-8 hours, you have a constructed mobile suit.

My first kit was an RG and even that wasn't too hard. A lot more smaller pieces to work with, yes, and much more time consuming. But overall in terms of modelling, I think Gunpla is on the lower end of the difficulty curve. My old man did a model of a ship when I was a kid. Now THAT is some serious business. Especially the line rigging.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 37 (bd)

As your name suggests, break through to freedom Gundam!. A bit heavy on the flashback clips and three Strike Daggers(?) are pretty atrocious in terms of design, though at the last the pilots look nice.
Kira Athrun scene was the best scene yet and so good, smiling, making up, sharing ideals, and working side by side, Gundam Seed got really good
. Dearka must stick around.

Bombless

As a rule, HGs aren't very hard to put together. You just have to concentrate and follow the diagrams, and in 4-8 hours, you have a constructed mobile suit.

My first kit was an RG and even that wasn't too hard. A lot more smaller pieces to work with, yes, and much more time consuming. But overall in terms of modelling, I think Gunpla is on the lower end of the difficulty curve. My old man did a model of a ship when I was a kid. Now THAT is some serious business. Especially the line rigging.

Well, I survived the Strike Freedom Lightning Edition so I should be okay then. I still need to apply his transfers but I'm really not good with those and I don't want to mess with it :S (also I never had the courage to put batteries in it, after all the trouble I went through to pass the damn cables through the structure i'd break my heart to find out it doesn't work).

stickers and seals are my biggest problem too. I am not the most dexterous person in the world. In fact I'm pretty clumsy. So it's hard putting those little stickers on for me.

I'm utterly terrified of wet transfers

For the last month, I've been playing Mobile Suit Gundam Online, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

. It's a Free 2 Play game as many of you know, that takes place during the One Year War. It's a fun, albeit simple game. The battles are 50v50, Earth Federation vs Principality of Zeon. Each side have 1-3 starting bases, each with their own health bar. If the enemy destroys the other team's bases, that team loses. Each time a mobile suit on either team is destroyed, some of the health from that meter is depleted.

There are capture points on the map. Captured points can be used as spawn locations.

Furthermore, a 51st player on each team can play as a commander. They can issue orders such as prioritizing attack routes, capture point sequences as well as call in air strikes or deploy Minovsky fields, such jam players radar. They can also call in "Aces", NPC controlled pilots which are based on characters from the show.

Things I like about the Game:

The variety of mobile suits: No, you cannot be Char's custom Zaku, or Amuro's Gundam. Instead, you can pick from a wide variety of grunt suits. There are a ton of suits available, though many of them are GM or Zaku II variants. Still, it's nice seeing a bunch of MSV suits that aren't normally playable in games such as a Zaku I Sniper Type (A personal favorite of mine). They are still adding suits as well. Recently they added Gelgoogs and Balls. I'm waiting for Rick Doms, personally

Customization: There is a decent amount of customization options. You can upgrade basic stats for the suits, weapons (each suit has 3 weapons), colors and emblems. Suits can be upgraded 20 times if they're made from a silver blue print or 30 times if they're made from a gold blue print

the maps: The maps are very well done. They're quite large, to accommodate the 100 players in each battle, but never so large that you get bored traversing terrain, since there is always a spawn point close to the action. I'm not entirely sure how many maps there are, since maps are brought in and out of the rotation, which changes either daily or weekly, but there is at least 10 I think so far, with new ones still being added. Maps are based on locations from Mobile Suit Gundam, 0080 and 08th MS Team. There are a few "unique" maps that aren't based on locations from the shows as well

50vs50 battles: These are awesome. Battles can be super chaotic. Explosions everywhere. It gets to be pretty intense. Nothing beats participating in a 50 man Zaku rush

Things I don't like:

Microtransactions: It's a "Free to Play" game so it has a lot of the quirks that come with this model. There is a "real money" store, which unfortunately requires a japanese credit card to buy credits for. If you want the best stuff, you're gonna have to pay real money for them. Furthermore, you can use real money to buy in game points which are used for upgrading your suits, making this game very much a "pay to win" game. However, there IS a lot of free content still, and stuff like new suits that started off as Real Money purchases eventually become stuff you can get for free. You'll never be a top 10 player without paying real money I don't think, but you can easily be in the top twenty.

Gashapon: The thing I hate most about the game. Gashapon is basically a sort of gambling you are required to do in the game. There are three types of Gashapon. Normal Gasha, DX Gasha and EX Gasha. Normal Gasha uses points you earn in game, while DX Gasha uses real money (it also has the best and newest stuff). EX Gasha uses vouchers you get from post battle drops.

Unfortunately blue prints aren't sold in the game's shop. If you want new mobile suits, you either have to hope you get the blue prints post-battle, or chance gashapon. Good luck with that. Blue Prints are usually the rarest item, especially the superior gold prints.

Balance: Earth Federation is overpowered. That isn't just me whining as a Zeon player. Most Federation suits have a functioning shield, something only the Gelgoog has for Zeon. This shield is amazing. It can tank bazooka rounds and rockets. Furthermore, Federation suits have beam rifles, which reload quickly, fire quickly and do a hell of a lot of damage, while Zeon suits only have machine guns (and sometimes shot guns). Severally outclassed there. Still, I have won as Zeon multiple times, but the Zekes certainly have to work harder for their kills.

Hassle to set up: The game has an IP block. You can get around this with a VPN, but that means you're gonna have to put up with some lag if you get stuck with a bad relay.

Things that I'm neutral towards: Waiting for matches. If you're playing the game when it's the weekend afternoon in japan, you're going to wait 9 minutes for a match. it sucks, but oh well. On the bright side, the developers made accomodations for this. The longer you wait for a match, the bonuses you get. You can get increases in post-match drops, and increased experience and credit bonuses. Plus, if you want, you can practice while you wait. So it works out.

So overall, MSGO is a pretty fun game

Balance: Earth Federation is overpowered.

Just like in the show, once the Feds get off their asses and started to mass produce their GMs and other grunt units. They're staying true to the spirit of MSG, basic Zaku grunt units don't ever get to have beam weapons or shields lol. No complaints from me there!

One to one, a basic GM packs way more firepower and has a better defence and operating range than a basic Zaku II. (We're not talking custom units here).

Those are the facts. Deal with it, and join the winning side Megalosaro. :D

Dammit. Now I'm caught up. What now. Turn a Gundam worth watching? Or I might as well just finish off 0083. Finished 008th MS, 0080 and 1/4 through Fang of the Sun Dougram.

squall23

Dammit. Now I'm caught up. What now. Turn a Gundam worth watching? Or I might as well just finish off 0083. Finished 008th MS, 0080 and 1/4 through Fang of the Sun Dougram.
Yes, Turn A is very much worth watching. Although, if you do plan on watching all of UC, I suggest you watch Turn A last.

One to one, a basic GM packs way more firepower and has a better defence and operating range than a basic Zaku II. (We're not talking custom units here).

Those are the facts. Deal with it, and join the winning side Megalosaro. :D
Fact: Ideon is the final evolution of the GM. Thus GMs are superior.

FWTYbow.jpg

Gundam Online IS the PC Game. Battle Operations is the PS3 Game you're thinking of.

The beta is an open beta, so pretty much anyone can play it if you're willing to jump through the hoops of bypassing an IP Block

http://msgo.bandaina...ol.jp/register/
If you don't have a Bandai Namco account, click the red link first. When registering MAKE SURE YOU SET YOUR REGION TO JAPAN. After that, click the blue link to download the client.

Whenever the game needs to update, make sure you set your timezone on your computer clock to Japan time. It will go into an endless loop otherwise.

squall23

Gundam Online looks a lot like Border Break to me, which is a good thing. I'm thinking about attempting to play Gundam Online only BECAUSE there's no Border Break for PC.

CorvoSol

Okay but what I still don't get is how the Earth and Zeon teamed up in Zeta. I get that Sriracha has magical make everyone fall in love with him despite better judgment business, but this is ZEON. Even if the anger of the one year war had at last subsided (which it hasn't for the Zeon, since you know, they fled to the goddamn asteroid belt to get away from these guys) there's still that whole Stardust Memory thing where these crazy Zeon guys pointed a goddamn COLONY AT EARTH.

Then again, considering how quickly Nina Purpleton was over that, I guess Earth folk are just super stupid and or forgiving in the future.

If you're referring to the Titans trying to form an alliance with Axis/Haman, I think it's described best as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I don't think the Titans ever wanted to stay in an alliance with Axis, but they definitely wanted to hold off dealing with them until the AEUG was dealt with and above all else, prevent the AEUG from striking an alliance with Axis.

Obviously the deal didn't really work out anyway though. And in terms of colony drops, I don't think the people of earth remember Operation Stardust as much as they remember the Sydney drop.

And I don't really think the Earth Federation really gives a fuck anymore period after the One Year War anyway, if ZZ is anything to go by.
Like how they let Axis drop a colony on Ireland
. Or how only Londo Bell reacted during Char's Counterattack. Or how the Federation is like "we're going to let Frontier Side deal with Cosmos Babylonia themselves, because we're on vacation" in F91. Or how the Earth Federation is completely non-existent in Victory Gundam

And I don't really think the Earth Federation really gives a fuck anymore period after the One Year War anyway, if ZZ is anything to go by.
Like how they let Axis drop a colony on Ireland
. Or how only Londo Bell reacted during Char's Counterattack. Or how the Federation is like "we're going to let Frontier Side deal with Cosmos Babylonia themselves, because we're on vacation" in F91. Or how the Earth Federation is completely non-existent in Victory Gundam

In CCA, Char paid off a corrupt segment of the EFSF during a meeting which also involved Quess Paraya's father, Adenuer(sp) Paraya who was a high ranking Feddie official, to stay out of his business under the guise of a mutual peace lol. With gold in suitcases, if I remember correctly. Which is why they didn't give two shits about what Char did until it was too late. As usual only Amuro and Bright knew what he was up to, and were the only ones who could rapidly mount a response with the semi autonomous Londo Bell strike force.

As far as I can recall, by the time of Victory Gundam (UC 0149 - 0153), the Feddies influence in matters concerning the Earth Sphere had pretty much waned. Which was why the Zanscare Empire based in Side 2 and had ties with the Jupiter Fleet took advantage of the situation in the first place; it's not like the EFSF were welcoming their invaders with open arms.

In CCA, Char paid off a corrupt segment of the EFSF during a meeting which also involved Quess Paraya's father, Adenuer(sp) Paraya who was a high ranking Feddie official, to stay out of his business under the guise of a mutual peace lol. With gold in suitcases, if I remember correctly.

Nope, that was a business transaction. He was buying Axis from them in that scene, not bribing them to stay out of his business

frye

Nope, that was a business transaction. He was buying Axis from them in that scene, not bribing them to stay out of his business

Yeah, but he's still dealing with corrupt politicians. They have one demand in the beginning: for Char to surrender his fleet in exchange for Axis. That goes away with some sweet-talking and suitcases full of gold bars. It's a great scene, where Char can barely contain himself as all this is going down. Those guys are putting their own pockets over the safety of their people.

That's a great character moment for Char too, because if you think about it, the asteroid/colony being dropped didn't necessarily have to be Axis. But he chooses that one because it implicates the fat cats in charge of the EF in his crime.

Yeah, but he's still dealing with corrupt politicians. They have one demand in the beginning: for Char to surrender his fleet in exchange for Axis. That goes away with some sweet-talking and suitcases full of gold bars. It's a great scene, where Char can barely contain himself as all this is going down. Those guys are putting their own pockets over the safety of their people.

That's a great character moment for Char too, because if you think about it, the asteroid/colony being dropped didn't necessarily have to be Axis. But he chooses that one because it implicates the fat cats in charge of the EF in his crime.

That didn't go away at all. He still had to give up his fleet as part of the transaction. He didn't though. He used dummy ships as an a decoy so he could sneak attack Luna II and steal all of its nucelar war heads.

And they weren't acting corrupt either. They were going to use the gold bars to fund new welfare programs they were planning on implimenting

Droog

I thought I'd add my 2 cents on MSGO to Megalosaro's post as I've been playing this game quite a lot recently too.

If we're discussing this game too much, let us know! :p Maybe we could (or should?) take this to the Gaming side...

a 51st player on each team can play as a commander. They can issue orders such as prioritizing attack routes, capture point sequences as well as call in air strikes or deploy Minovsky fields, such jam players radar. They can also call in "Aces", NPC controlled pilots which are based on characters from the show.

Battleships (Albion-type cruiser for the EFSF, Zanzibar type for Zeon) can be summoned but these seem to be rare and are also map dependant. I've seen this maybe 2 or 3 times ever during my playtime. The other special ability commanders have is a bomb which can be dropped at an enemy HQ for a instant kill but this requires careful planning as the bomb carrier will need to be protected as he can't fight whilst carrying. These abilities all have timers so that Commanders can't keep spamming and the better the ability, the more expensive it costs. To help Commanders keep their gauges up, players can pick up cannisters on the battlefields (they constantly respawn but only after a set time) and bring them to a friendly spawn point. You'll often see repair suits doing this when nobody needs healing. I've seen unhappy Japanese players vote to kick a few Commanders as they weren't being as efficient as they could be so be careful!

The variety of mobile suits: No, you cannot be Char's custom Zaku, or Amuro's Gundam. Instead, you can pick from a wide variety of grunt suits. There are a ton of suits available, though many of them are GM or Zaku II variants. Still, it's nice seeing a bunch of MSV suits that aren't normally playable in games such as a Zaku I Sniper Type (A personal favorite of mine). They are still adding suits as well. Recently they added Gelgoogs and Balls. I'm waiting for Rick Doms, personally

All true although weirdly enough, Garma's custom Zaku II FS (it looks the same anyway) can be won in the DX Gashapon set.

Customization: There is a decent amount of customization options. You can upgrade basic stats for the suits, weapons (each suit has 3 weapons), colors and emblems. Suits can be upgraded 20 times if they're made from a silver blue print or 30 times if they're made from a gold blue print

You can also pay to remove all customizations from an MS and set it back to its default state. This is probably only worth doing if you're unhappy with the changes you've made to a gold blueprint suit. I've no idea if you get any of the materials you've spent back - since this is F2P I'm guessing not.

50vs50 battles: These are awesome. Battles can be super chaotic. Explosions everywhere. It gets to be pretty intense. Nothing beats participating in a 50 man Zaku rush

I've been in quite a few Dom rushes but I usually get stuck at the back of the pack as my thrusters haven't been upgraded too much yet. Seeing a game end in less than 5 mins as a pack of Doms rush the enemy HQ and fill it with Giant Baz shots is a beautiful thing to behold.

Microtransactions: It's a "Free to Play" game so it has a lot of the quirks that come with this model. There is a "real money" store, which unfortunately requires a japanese credit card to buy credits for. If you want the best stuff, you're gonna have to pay real money for them. Furthermore, you can use real money to buy in game points which are used for upgrading your suits, making this game very much a "pay to win" game. However, there IS a lot of free content still, and stuff like new suits that started off as Real Money purchases eventually become stuff you can get for free. You'll never be a top 10 player without paying real money I don't think, but you can easily be in the top twenty.

It's true that you'll probably be schooled by players who are willing to pay when you're not. This is mostly unavoidable. The thing I hate is that is there are exclusive items that can only be bought by using the "real money" store such as the original MSG BGM. I'd happily save up in-game cash to buy stuff like that but nope, real money or forget it.

Gashapon: The thing I hate most about the game. Gashapon is basically a sort of gambling you are required to do in the game. There are three types of Gashapon. Normal Gasha, DX Gasha and EX Gasha. Normal Gasha uses points you earn in game, while DX Gasha uses real money (it also has the best and newest stuff). EX Gasha uses vouchers you get from post battle drops.

I don't mind the Gashapon system too much as when you know what to expect, you'll be reasonably well off in in-game money. No, it's not ideal by any stretch but I've seen far worse in F2P MMOs. Complete all the tutorial missions as this nets you a nice chunk of cash via Challenge rewards. Server maintenance nets you 10000GP whether you tried to login when the game was down or not which ends up being like a weekly stipend. Keep track of your daily challenges too, you can get some nice rewards for completing these and doing 7 will get a cash bonus. Some of them are as easy as just bringing a single cannister back to your teams spawn point too.

The Golden Week event has been great for EX Gashapon tickets and by selling all the junk items I got from spending them, I bought quite a few upgrades. I liked the fact that the shop remembers what you won in EX Gashapon previously and won't let you win duplicate items. I think this how I was able to win my Zaku F2 - there was basically nothing of high value left for me to win!

Unfortunately blue prints aren't sold in the game's shop. If you want new mobile suits, you either have to hope you get the blue prints post-battle, or chance gashapon. Good luck with that. Blue Prints are usually the rarest item, especially the superior gold prints.

The game has been designed around using the gashapon system and it shows. The best advice I have for using it is to save up and buy 10 at once since the shop gives you 11 for the price of 10. It might seem like a lot of in-game money but you can get enough for 10 gashapon after about 3 games, winning or not. I usually sell every single item that I win post-battle netting me between 10000-20000GP. Any junk items you get from buying gashapon, sell them immediately too and start saving to buy the next set! Concentrate on saving up for a specific upgrade or winning a new blueprint and it's reasonably manageable.

If you want to try out a new MS without getting blueprints, you can also rent a pre-made high level MS. These are pretty costly for what they are and generally aren't worth it unless you want to see how a specific MS operates in practice. If you don't like it, you can even sell the rental MS for cash. (I tried an Acguy this way, sadly it's not for me...)

Balance: Earth Federation is overpowered. That isn't just me whining as a Zeon player. Most Federation suits have a functioning shield, something only the Gelgoog has for Zeon. This shield is amazing. It can tank bazooka rounds and rockets. Furthermore, Federation suits have beam rifles, which reload quickly, fire quickly and do a hell of a lot of damage, while Zeon suits only have machine guns (and sometimes shot guns). Severally outclassed there. Still, I have won as Zeon multiple times, but the Zekes certainly have to work harder for their kills.

The stock Zaku I and Zaku II F have spike shields... which unfortunately are destroyed after blocking once. :-/ It's a shame the Zaku II shoulder shields don't actually seem to add any obvious armour bonus. The weapon choices for the Feds can be frustrating to see at times. The GM Repair mech outclasses the Zaku I equivalent by being able to wield a Bullpup machine gun! If you're forced to use an MS which can use Zaku machine guns, I'd recommend upgrading to the 3 shot burst fire one as this is pretty powerful even at a distance if you can get a headshot.

On this note, why is Namco-Bandai so insistent on making headshots so damaging when the head only contains the main camera? The pilot (and reactor!) is in the torso. It annoyed me in the Spirits of Zeon arcade game and it annoys me here.

Hassle to set up: The game has an IP block. You can get around this with a VPN, but that means you're gonna have to put up with some lag if you get stuck with a bad relay.

Yep. It's annoying and I'm not sure why Bamco IP locked this game.

Things that I'm neutral towards: Waiting for matches. If you're playing the game when it's the weekend afternoon in japan, you're going to wait 9 minutes for a match. it sucks, but oh well. On the bright side, the developers made accomodations for this. The longer you wait for a match, the bonuses you get. You can get increases in post-match drops, and increased experience and credit bonuses. Plus, if you want, you can practice while you wait. So it works out.

I'd recommend finding a squad to join rather than going in solo. There are lots of public squads you can just jump into and most players seems friendly enough. You'll earn lots more ribbons in-game due to being in a squad especially if you try and work together. That means more rewards, more challenges completed and more cash! If you can't speak (or type) much Japanese you can at least type "46" which seems to be a pretty common shorthand for "yoroshiku".

So overall, MSGO is a pretty fun game

Agreed, especially for free.

EDIT: Wow, that was a really long post! Sorry guys! :-/

Droog

That reminds me. Do you know what the 230k GP was for last week? It was certainly a nice surprise

I *think* it was due to a recent update. They rebalanced a bunch of things and felt the changes were so drastic that it warranted giving everyone 200K or so. I guess to lessen the blow of having to re-customise all your MS' since that's so expensive. I'll have to see if there's a changelog somewhere and see what they did...

One thing I forgot in my wall of text above - this game has no player trade facility surprisingly. I was going to offer you some of my spare blueprints but you can't give stuff away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom