• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wubby

Just got back from the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Hoooollly moly was it packed. Felt way more crowded than the last few years.

3.0 looks great. Was a challenge getting close enough to get some pics. I'll buy one to go with the eventual Zaku 3.0 kit.

I'll edit in some pics once I download them from my camera. [edit: done]

Just got back from the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Hoooollly moly was it packed. Felt way more crowded than the last few years.

3.0 looks great. Was a challenge getting close enough to get some pics. I'll buy one to go with the eventual Zaku 3.0 kit.

I'll edit in some pics once I download them from my camera.

You're living the dream of Gundam GAF right now. I don't even have such shows/conventions where I live :(

Gundam Seed HD Remaster bd 38

Good fighting this episode but that whole ending moments
WHy would ORB self destruct themselves, didnt really seem wise but bigger than that, mind blown. The photo... Cagalli is related to Kira, what even? I thought it would be Athrun and Kira.

isny

napkin dispenser

WHy would ORB self destruct themselves, didnt really seem wise but bigger than that, mind blown. The photo... Cagalli is related to Kira, what even? I thought it would be Athrun and Kira.

I wish I could be you watching this for the first time. It's such a special show for me, one of the first shows I downloaded and watched dubbed way back over a decade ago.

Bombless

Orb didn't want for it's arsenal and mass driver to be used to harm others, be they PLANT or Earth Fed. They managed to save some stuff (the ship that took off) but couldn't evacuate everything. So they blew it up. And Cagalli's father isn't one to shy away from his responsibilities : if he must raze a place he must be the one to do it. Same for his council.

The end of that episode was fantastic. I hope they kept Akatsuki no Kuruma for that scene!

Orb didn't want for it's arsenal and mass driver to be used to harm others, be they PLANT or Earth Fed. They managed to save some stuff (the ship that took off) but couldn't evacuate everything. So they blew it up. And Cagalli's father isn't one to shy away from his responsibilities : if he must raze a place he must be the one to do it. Same for his council.

The end of that episode was fantastic. I hope they kept Akatsuki no Kuruma for that scene!

Well it just seemed odd to do considering in Alaska, the group there did that whole system that microwaved the whole place just a few episodes ago that shocked everyone in the world, so to see Orb then use a similar destruction tactic seemed strange.

Bombless

Well it just seemed odd to do considering in Alaska, the group there did that whole system that microwaved the whole place just a few episodes ago that shocked everyone in the world, so to see Orb then use a similar destruction tactic seemed strange.

The Earth Fed. used JOSH-A to blow up a whole lot of ennemies and some troops they considered expendable/unwanted while they ran away in subs. Orb blew up Morgenraete and their own HQ with just them inside. They used the same means but to opposite ends.

Jubern

IIRC, they used the Special Edition II ending for the HD Remaster. You get AnK and it doesn't stop when
the base blow up
. It continues all the way through the (episode specific!) ending sequence. It's really nice.

About the events themselves:
Cagalli's father is actually called on this bullshit by quite a few people in the early parts of Destiny. It's an interesting standpoint that can totally switch your perspective on these events (I was 16 and didn't thought about how stupid it was before, I only thought he went out like a boss). Unfortunately this plot is, like a lot of other things, handled absolutely terribly in Destiny.

fertygo

Just notice Natarle and Flay share same seiyuu, mind blown.. they have nice moment together too at the end.

I'm on last episode of SEED Remaster, man this last arc are good.. forget how entertaining it was, never really watch it completely as whole too.

Beth Cyra

So . . . every Gundam that came out after Wing? Cuz I mean, Destiny, 00, and AGE in particular are all way stupider and more ridiculous than Wing.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can say the handling of Shinn, Space Cancer cures, and Space Hilter being made the good guy are somehow better then Wing even with the issues Wing has.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh shit, I'd pay waaaay too much money for one of those Wooden statues. Actually, I'd want two so they can guard a door or something.

John Blade

Just finish watching 08th Team in eng dub ova and movie and have to say, it's one of the better Gundam anime I just watch for a while. Kinda wish the ova last a bit longer than 13 episodes (somewhere 20- 25 episodes should be fine). Even so, it's still a good show to watch. Now, off to Zeta Gundam

Jubern

00 hate still going strong here I see!

I'd argue that it's definitely less stupid and way, WAY less boring than Wing. I had to force myself to crawl through that series.

Just finish watching 08th Team in eng dub ova and movie and have to say, it's one of the better Gundam anime I just watch for a while. Kinda wish the ova last a bit longer than 13 episodes (somewhere 20- 25 episodes should be fine). Even so, it's still a good show to watch. Now, off to Zeta Gundam

Enjoy. I'm halfway through an 8th rewatch in 15 years.

I'd argue that it's definitely less stupid and way, WAY less boring than Wing. I had to force myself to crawl through that series.

Brofist man!

Cannot understand the hate 00 gets. I did like Wing but not as much as the other Gundams.

CorvoSol

Wing doesn't kill Zechs and then replace him with Zex. Nor does it end with an epileptic space flower that was part of a plan made 300 years ago. Wing may not be the best Gundam ever, but its so much better than 00 it isn't even funny.

Enjoy. I'm halfway through an 8th rewatch in 15 years.

I'm gonna put myself out there and say I did not enjoy Zeta Gundam. The first half was good, and Kamille is one of my favorite characters ever, but the second half of that show was so bad it literally drove Tomino to kill the cast and wipe the slate clean/go insane and make ZZ Gundam.

Zeta's a good show, but man was I let down by it. It's funny, because as I watch ZZ part of me longs for Zeta, but the other part knows only too well how disappointing that second half was.

Watching Ensign Rekkua's character fall apart was terrible.

Brofist man!

Cannot understand the hate 00 gets. I did like Wing but not as much as the other Gundams.

Relena never tried to use a psychically transmitted song to force people to be peaceful. That should be reason enough to understand the hate.

I'm gonna put myself out there and say I did not enjoy Zeta Gundam. The first half was good, and Kamille is one of my favorite characters ever, but the second half of that show was so bad it literally drove Tomino to kill the cast and wipe the slate clean/go insane and make ZZ Gundam.

Zeta's a good show, but man was I let down by it. It's funny, because as I watch ZZ part of me longs for Zeta, but the other part knows only too well how disappointing that second half was.

You got a point there. I never fully bought her face heel turn as the result of Paptimus Scirrocco's NT magnetism lol. I enjoyed the cast killing in the second half though, so we differ on that point. Imho, depression brings the best out of Tomino. The best part about it how he portrays it is, is that it could happen to anyone, anytime and when it does happen, it happens without fanfare. It's just a consequence of war and each participant is just a small cog in the war, fully expendable. Permanent. Irreversible. Unlike other shows that make such a big deal of it and glorify it. Chracters aren't affected by plot armor for the most part. Awesome.

(Zeta and Victory testify to that)

Tomino's work is less stellar when he tries to infuse his upbeat self into them. (Gundam ZZ etc.)

Relena never tried to use a psychically transmitted song to force people to be peaceful. That should be reason enough to understand the hate.

Sounds suspiciously a lot like what Lacus Clyne did before she was elevated into sainthood and grand commander of the third faction in SEED. Some allusions to the songstresses of Macross too.

Wing doesn't kill Zechs and then replace him with Zex. Nor does it end with an epileptic space flower that was part of a plan made 300 years ago. Wing may not be the best Gundam ever, but its so much better than 00 it isn't even funny.

Da fuck?

That is like the worst reason to dislike a Gundam series. I can understand the Gundams not being well done or not liking the cast/plot. But that out of all things?

BTW where the hell did the force people to be peaceful come into effect in 00?

Marina singing didn't stop anybody important from still fighting let alone peaceful.

Theres no way that Age is worse than 00 right?

>.> I have never seen a more wrong statement in my life. #"opinions/rant"

AGE was frankly so terrible after Asemu that I dropped it and had to come back and finish it off by sheer force of will.

It got canned by Sunrise from the looks of thing because the ending was rushed. Not to mention it was tearfully boring for a ending to a Gundam series. Kio is still the worst Gundam pilot ever even though he had an amazing Gundam in the AGE-3.

CorvoSol

Sounds suspiciously a lot like what Lacus Clyne did before she was elevated into sainthood and grand commander of the third faction in SEED. Some allusions to the songstresses of Macross too.

Yeah, but the possibility that Lacus is actually a sneaky politician who uses the sweet girl facade to get her way is her redeeming quality.

Da fuck?

That is like the worst reason to dislike a Gundam series. I can understand the Gundams not being well done or not liking the cast/plot. But that out of all things?

BTW where the hell did the force people to be peaceful come into effect in 00?

Marina singing didn't stop anybody important from still fighting let alone peaceful.

Marina singing stopped Setsuna from fighting, but you're right, he's not exactly important anyway. And my hatred for 00 has a lot more to it than that, that was just an example of how Wing, for all its faults, isn't the kind of shit show that 00 is.

00 is awful for at least the following reasons:

-Its cast is never really developed, largely because the show chooses to introduce a million other characters instead. Setsuna in particular is a horrible, lifeless rip-off of Sousuke Sagara, but we have such other horrid characters as Nena Trinity and Saji Crossroads, too. Many cast members seem to have some ridiculous contrivance to them, too, instead of actual development.
-Things happen without any actual reason to them in the show. Louise Hallevy suddenly being able to pilot a mobile suit at an elite level without the slightest hint of having known how to do so in S1. Even the time skip isn't enough to explain that. For a show that's all about being just according to keikaku, nothing ever has any real rhyme or reason to it. Things happen and get attributed to Schenberg and that's that.
-The writers themselves lost track of what was going on. As in, characters who had previously met acting as if they didn't know each other, the sudden, barely explained difference between an Innovade and an Innovator.
-Giant fucking space flower. I mean, I could just say "THE MOVIE" but really, the flower or the movie, take your pick. It was all terrible.
-Names. Go from at least plausibly made up names like Yazan Gable to "REVIVE REVIVAL" and you're just like, uh, what?
-Characters dying and being replaced with identical characters, who, on at least one occasion, had the exact same name, begging the question of "why kill them in the first place?" and cheapening the value of death in the show overall.
-Setsuna acquired power ups whenever it was convenient to the plot. Trans Am is the biggest, but the teleporting is the worst offender.
-Action sequences degenerate over the course of the series from good fights to what most resembles a connect the dots sequence of lines and circles which one assumes are lasers and explosions but with the way the camera's spinning who even knows?
-The main villain's goal is as ambiguous as the hero's, mostly because its still based around the nebulous plan of Schenberg.
-Magical bullshit song of the worst variety magically ending a fight.
-When they're not replaced by a doppleganger, people still come back from the dead for no damn reason without a scratch on them.

The list goes on, but the point is that 00 is the worst Gundam ever made.

Theres no way that Age is worse than 00 right?

AGE is terrible, but no, it's not as horrible as 00.

Averon

The first generation of Age was boring. The second generation of Age was actually not that bad. However, the third generation of Age was so bad that it taints the entire series for me. Kio is one of the worst Gundam protags I've seen. He puts Kira's non-kill pacifism to shame.

The first generation of Age was boring. The second generation of Age was actually not that bad. However, the third generation of Age was so bad that it taints the entire series for me. Kio is one of the worst Gundam protags I've seen. He puts Kira's non-kill pacifism to shame.

That. That right there. I should've stopped at Asemu's arc. Damn you CorvoSol for making me watch the whole thing until the bitter end lol. Flit acting like a Hitler wannabe only made it slightly more tolerable.

Imo about 00 VS AGE, I reckon if 00 ended at the 1st arc, it'd be superior to AGE.

Loved how the 1st arc ended, with those sanctimonious Celestial Being pricks being pwned by the other nations of the earth. That's how it should've concluded, with the mass proliferation of GN Drives and the pwnage of Celestial Being.

2nd arc (why the time skip? WHY? It just made things more detached after the awesome ending of the 1st arc!) + movie drags it down to the same level, if not worse than AGE.

Jubern

Don't listen to these madmen, AGE only has the very end of Flit's arc (last two eps?) and the Asemu arc (the shortest one) for itself. And I say that, I don't mean they're incredible or anything, just pleasant. And then it all went to shit with Gen 3... Which is almost half the series.

I can't believe there are people who'd put AGE before 00. I can't believe how much some of you guys seem to hate hate hate 00. It's like you have a personal beef against the staff or something. Sure it had some bullshit (the twins, the song, the flower) but at least it tried to do *something* and had a clear direction and vision. Which is more than you can say for AGE and some other series.

I hate internet debates, I'll probably give up after one or two other long posts against 00 >_>

Still love you guys, but geezus.

CorvoSol

That. That right there. I should've stopped at Asemu's arc. Damn you CorvoSol for making me watch the whole thing until the bitter end lol. Flit acting like a Hitler wannabe only made it slightly more tolerable.

Imo about 00 VS AGE, I reckon if 00 ended at the 1st arc, it'd be superior to AGE.

Loved how the 1st arc ended, with those sanctimonious Celestial Being pricks being pwned by the other nations of the earth. That's how it should've concluded, with the mass proliferation of GN Drives and the pwnage of Celestial Being.

2nd arc (why the time skip? WHY? It just made things more detached after the awesome ending of the 1st arc!) + movie drags it down to the same level, if not worse than AGE.

If 00 had ended after S1 it would've been a perfectly fine show. It ended after A Wakening of the Trailblazer, and it is not a perfectly fine show.

And I actually liked Kio more than Flit, because Kio was the first person in 40 episodes to tell Flit "No" and "You're Wrong."

Don't listen to these madmen, AGE only has the very end of Flit's arc (last two eps?) and the Asemu arc (the shortest one) for itself. And I say that, I don't mean they're incredible or anything, just pleasant. And then it all went to shit with Gen 3... Which is almost half the series.

I can't believe there are people who'd put AGE before 00. I can't believe how much some of you guys seem to hate hate hate 00. It's like you have a personal beef against the staff or something. Sure it had some bullshit (the twins, the song, the flower) but at least it tried to do *something* and had a clear direction and vision. Which is more than you can say for AGE and some other series.

I hate internet debates, I'll probably give up after one or two other long posts against 00 >_>

I don't have anything against the 00 staff. I would say it was just the opposite here, though. AGE had the clear direction, and 00 did not. AGE was about following Flit's genocidal war against the Vegan the entire time, and each arc was an extension and escalation of that war. 00 was supposed to be about one man's plan but had like, three coup d'etats and a giant space flower after alien rocks. It killed cast members and then repented of those decisions repeatedly. 00 felt aimless, AGE had a plan, its just that that plan was hindered by Hino's ability to accept that his perfect angel Flit was the villain of the story.

frye

Yuppp

I already wrote a few dozen dumb words about the merits of 00 vs. Seed and Age's faults are like Seed's. Maybe even worse though because the gimmick/premise of the generations is perfect for tackling the heart of Gundam (which at its purest is a story about kids vs. adults/children vs. their parents) but it proceeds to sit around with its thumb up its ass for 50 episodes.

I don't have anything against the 00 staff. I would say it was just the opposite here, though. AGE had the clear direction, and 00 did not. AGE was about following Flit's genocidal war against the Vegan the entire time, and each arc was an extension and escalation of that war. 00 was supposed to be about one man's plan but had like, three coup d'etats and a giant space flower after alien rocks. It killed cast members and then repented of those decisions repeatedly. 00 felt aimless, AGE had a plan, its just that that plan was hindered by Hino's ability to accept that his perfect angel Flit was the villain of the story.

I think what Jubern is saying is that 00 does have some themes it wants to get across. They do get lost, especially in the second season, but they're there underneath the bullshit? AGE has a gimmick but it's not really interested in doing anything with it beyond "how can we make this war last for 100 years??" [dumb metaphor time]It's the difference between taking a wrong turn and not reaching your destination and just driving to run out of gas.

CorvoSol

00 has Neil though, and he was pretty cool.

Wait, which one is Neil?
Lockon 1 or 2?
Because my agreement depends on that.

Zeheart is the worst Char ripoff/clone.

Still stupid how he ended up becoming a madman and dying like he did.

While I don't disagree that Zeheart was terrible and awful and he wasn't even the same character in arc 3, he was better than the tantrum throwing Mr. Bushido, who only managed to be a Char clone for like, the second half of the last season of 00, and spent most of the show pouting because Young Man wouldn't return his affections.

frye

dog was hilarious

*ezalcaant divulges his plan*
Zeheart: that's fuckin' retarded, yo!
Ezalcant: but you're gonna be my succesor
Zeheart: fuckk yessss best plan ever

Still stupid how he ended up becoming a madman and dying like he did

He had to. Along with the Vegan leader's sudden descent into madness at the end. They had to abandon rationality so that Flit wouldn't look so bad in comparison.

It was part of the part to deify Flit by the creators lol. They sacrificed 2 characters who had appropriate motives and development for their actions so that Flit wouldn't have to cross the threshold and be the villian in the end.

CorvoSol

Eh, I still think Le Crueset,
Mwu
and Mr. Bushido were all worse Char clones

Do you mean
Mu during SEED, or Mu as Neo? Cuz I'll give you that Neo was kinda lame, but Mu in SEED was ace.
and I liked Rau.

dog was hilarious

*ezalcaant divulges his plan*
Zeheart: that's fuckin' retarded, yo!
Ezalcant: but you're gonna be my succesor
Zeheart: fuckk yessss best plan ever

Hey man this guy just gave you absolute control and all you have to do is beat your friend. Sounds like a sweet deal, right?

He had to. Along with the Vegan leader's sudden descent into madness at the end. They had to abandon rationality so that Flit wouldn't look so bad in comparison.

It was part of the part to deify Flit by the creators lol.

I still contend that everything that happened was planned by Flit's mom to make him be perfect and special and loved by all.

Averon

One of Age's worst offenses was that Asemu and Zeheart never really had a proper, final dual. Their last fight was so rushed due to time that Zeheart was taken out like he was some no-name fodder.

I primarily blame the fact that the staff had the wise idea to throw in a random Feddie, Girard Spriggan, near the end and wasted episodes on her.

Dead

well not really...yet
I haven't watched AGE, but was considering it, simply because Ive seen every Gundam TV show so far...

I mean, I personally think 00 is the worst Gundam series made, by a long shot, far worse than even Destiny, and I can't really imagine Age being worse...but modern sunrise...lol

CorvoSol

One of Age's worst offenses was that Asemu and Zeheart never really had a proper, final dual. Their last fight was so rushed due to time that Zeheart was taken out like he was some no-name fodder.

I primarily blame the fact that the staff had the wise idea to throw in a random Feddie, Girard Spriggan, near the end and wasted episodes on her.

Oh man, Girard Spriggan, that stuff was so unnecessary, haha.

frye

I haven't watched AGE, but was considering it, simply because Ive seen every Gundam TV show so far...

I mean, I personally think 00 is the worst Gundam series made, by a long shot, far worse than even Destiny, and I can't really imagine Age being worse...but modern sunrise...lol

man, valvrave is seriously like the best thing ever

Wait, which one is Neil?
Lockon 1 or 2?
Because my agreement depends on that.

While I don't disagree that Zeheart was terrible and awful and he wasn't even the same character in arc 3, he was better than the tantrum throwing Mr. Bushido, who only managed to be a Char clone for like, the second half of the last season of 00, and spent most of the show pouting because Young Man wouldn't return his affections.

None of the Char clones except Zechs and Full Frontal
aka (clone Char)
are any good really.

I personally thought 00 was awesome and below the UC century Gundams and equal to Wing and Seed and above Destiny and the rest.

Nothing tops Unicorn Gundam for me right now.

What was up with that shiet lol. An entire block of episodes spent detailing her truimphs, her struggles and and her insanity. No one gave a crap at that stage, it should've just been episodes spent properly concluding the arcs of all the main characters and their many, many conflicts of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom