• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

What was up with that shiet lol. An entire block of episodes spent detailing her truimphs, her struggles and and her insanity. No one gave a crap at that stage, it should've just been episodes spent properly concluding the arcs of all the main characters and their many, many conflicts of interest.

It didn't help that Girard was introduced, explained, and killed in the space of a single fight. AGE did that so much.

Do you mean
Mu during SEED, or Mu as Neo? Cuz I'll give you that Neo was kinda lame, but Mu in SEED was ace.
and I liked Rau.

Neo.
. CE did a lot of dumb things, but that was perhaps the dumbest thing it did.

They should honestly just give up trying to do Char expys. It reaks of trying too hard. They're never going to strike the right balance of mystery, aloofness and charisma ever again. Just move on and try to create a new character that is iconic in his own right.

The only Char clone I really enjoyed was Harry Ord, who can barely be called a Char clone. Full Frontal, dumb name aside, is decent too, since he's basically a deconstruction of the concept of a Char clone. Plus he's voiced by Ikeda, so that helps too. It's interesting how different Ikeda plays Frontal. Much more colder than his actual Char.
It's because of that that I knew right away that Frontal wasn't Char

But yeah Char Clones. One of those things holding back the franchise now.

You people keep getting it wrong.

Harry Ord was this guy, with a way cooler pair of sunglasses and a much better fashion sense.

81955.jpg

Char clones do hold the series back, like what they did to poor Graham. That said...

Neo.

They should honestly just give up trying to do Char expys. It reaks of trying too hard. They're never going to strike the right balance of mystery, aloofness and charisma ever again. Just move on and try to create a new character that is iconic in his own right.

The only Char clone I really enjoyed was Harry Ord, who can barely be called a Char clone. Full Frontal, dumb name aside, is decent too, since he's basically a deconstruction of the concept of a Char clone. Plus he's voiced by Ikeda, so that helps too. It's interesting how different Ikeda plays Frontal. Much more colder than his actual Char.

Yes. Full Frontal is godly. Amazing theme, amazing suit, amazing portrayal.

CorvoSol

Neo.

I'll give you
Neo
, Mr. Tantrum Bushido and Zeheart, because they were all bad. I'll say that, even having felt that
Neo's reunion with Murrue
was one of the only actually good moments in Destiny.

BUT, I think Rau, Zechs, and Schwarz were all benefits to their series. Rau is different enough that he almost wasn't even a Char clone. The only Char thing to him was the mask, Athrun covering the rest of the now-common Char-clone tropes. Which I think is what worked for Rau, he was a more or less different villain dressed up as Char. I haven't finished UC, but having seen MSG and Zeta, I think Zechs is the best straight-forward clone, being the whole prince in the service of his father's foe, and all the pressure ultimately drives him to do some pretty mad stuff. And Schwarz, well, I mean, he's SCHWARZ, so he doesn't need justifying.

Hey guys, I'm looking at Gundam models and just wondering what Real Grade is?

I'm used to the 1/144 sizes to be, um...less than stellar from back in the day.

Is RG just a really high quality 1/144 kit?

Dead

well not really...yet
Hey guys, I'm looking at Gundam models and just wondering what Real Grade is?

I'm used to the 1/144 sizes to be, um...less than stellar from back in the day.

Is RG just a really high quality 1/144 kit?
Real Grade is essentially 1/144 scale Master Grade kits

You people keep getting it wrong.

Harry Ord was this guy, with a way cooler pair of sunglasses and a much better fashion sense.

81955.jpg

Fashion sense? Come now. Nobody needs sleeves, and gloves go with everything. And tunics are always in. It is known.

Not that there isn't something to be said for dressing as a bumblee/fly hybrid creature as well.

CorvoSol

One.

This is why you're awesome Corvo.

Ah, yeah I liked him. And G Gundam is the best Gundam series because how many other Gundam series have Master Asia in them?

Lockon 1 is so awesome. Probably the best character in 00 imo. I legit cried when he bit the dust.

Lockon was the good part of S1. The only other character I liked in the entire show, aside from him, was Soma Pires. She was all that got me through S2.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
None of the Char clones except Zechs and Full Frontal
aka (clone Char)
are any good really.

I personally thought 00 was awesome and below the UC century Gundams and equal to Wing and Seed and above Destiny and the rest.

Nothing tops Unicorn Gundam for me right now.

Rau Le Creuset was awesome.

Ah, yeah I liked him. And G Gundam is the best Gundam series because how many other Gundam series have Master Asia in them?

Lockon was the good part of S1. The only other character I liked in the entire show, aside from him, was Soma Pires. She was all that got me through S2.

I thought all the Gundam pilots were awesome except for Tieria.

Allelujah who has a hard name to spell was alright with his double persona lol.

Setsuna reminds me a lot of Heero and was a pretty fun character when he fought.

Rau Le Creuset is awesome but Seed and Destiny was all about Kira and Athrun.

CorvoSol

The reason why I now hate both characters. Also Setsuna's not so secret one sided romantic relationship with Gundams was fucking creepy.

My problem with Setsuna is similar to my problem with Shinn. When he kept his mouth shut, he was cool. Except he kept talking, and he only knew two words: "Guh" and "Ndum".

CorvoSol

Shinn never shut his dumb mouth though. He was always pissed off and going off on somebody, because he's a huge tool.

Yes, but that one time he did shut his mouth and used the Impulse to trash those boats was cool.

The whole rest of the time Shinn was awful. He's still contending for my most hated protagonist in the series and perhaps all of mecha anime.

Yes, but that one time he did shut his mouth and used the Impulse to trash those boats was cool.

The whole rest of the time Shinn was awful. He's still contending for my most hated protagonist in the series and perhaps all of mecha anime.

Gave a smile on my face when Athrun pwned his ass to the ground.

I honestly don't know why everyone puts up with his crap. Going off on a head of state and constantly harassing her? Probably the most unrealistic thing that there were NO repercussions for that. He should have been locked in the brig most of the series

I honestly don't know why everyone puts up with his crap. Going off on a head of state and constantly harassing her? Probably the most unrealistic thing that there were NO repercussions for that. He should have been locked in the brig most of the series

I don't remember this. Was it Cagalli?

Still makes me laugh how Kira was taken down by him.

Yeah, it was Cagalli, though frankly he treats pretty much everyone like that.

Frankly I had no sympathy for Shinn when Stella died. For one thing, their relationship was just a stupid rip off of Kamille and Four, and for another, it's because I was almost happy it happened to Shinn.

Shinn isn't even close to being the protagonist of that show. If anything, he's more of an antagonist. Athrun was much more of the protagonist

Frankly I had no sympathy for Shinn when Stella died. For one thing, their relationship was just a stupid rip off of Kamille and Four, and for another, it's because I was almost happy it happened to Shinn.

Shinn isn't even close to being the protagonist of that show. If anything, he's more of an antagonist. Athrun was much more of the protagonist

LOL Destiny was terrible imo but I never thought that Shinn was the main protag considering how he acted. Regardless of how important he was to the plot.

V_Arnold

Which was the intent of the show, so good job, Seed Destiny team. Kira is the best protagonist anyway :p

Dynedom

Echoes the transition from 0079 to Zeta. They tried desperately to make Destiny the new Zeta but at the same time tried to do a new inheriting the old type story (which they eventually did a complete 180 on). I don't think what they tried to do was impossible. Maybe with competent writers, they could have done something better...

Destiny had potential. I liked SEED (didn't love it) but any admiration I had for that franchise died with Destiny.

fertygo

I really disappointed with this when I saw that :(
Come on even if you're not a fan that just final nail to the trainwreck.. Jebus the series supposed Athrun being the best bro ever. Fuck Kira.
I'll much less bitter if its actually Athrun that fully hijack Shinn
And Shinn harassing Cagalli make too good of impression for me, really despise her. I love his angry attitude, but they give up for writing him properly on the middle.. Will be awesome if the series stick to the premise where Athrun leading Shinn to the right way,

Oh well SRW Z fixing all of my problem.

Ezalc

People not listing Domon are horrible. Clearly the best hot blooded protag with an awesome symbol on the top of his hand.

CorvoSol

One of my favorite moments in Destiny is when Shinn has a total meltdown over the fact that both Athrun AND Kira are alive. Because he was all jizzing his pants over killing Kira, and then he finds out "oh hey Kira's fine and he let you win."

I don't like that Kira is Jesus sometimes, but anything to see Shinn get taken down a peg.

What I don't get is why Cagalli takes it from him. I mean, what he said wasn't right, justifiable or intelligent. He's like "Oh the Athhas lie and cheat or whatever" and was all pissed about the fall of Orb, except what was Orb gonna do? It's not like they didn't try to resist, and if they'd joined either side they'd have been a smouldering crater anyway.

Which was the intent of the show, so good job, Seed Destiny team. Kira is the best protagonist anyway :p

No no no. The best protagonist is Domon Kasshu. Because Domon's stupid misbehavior has actual consequences from which he learns. Kira fucks his best friend's girlfriend and smacks his best friend upside the head, then turns around and starts banging his other best friend's fiance, and everybody still loves him.

Domon, on the other hand, never once bitches about having to fight, and when he mistreats the people around him, he has to make things right by saving the goddamn world from the hurt he's caused.

People not listing Domon are horrible. Clearly the best hot blooded protag with an awesome symbol on the top of his hand.

'xactly. Domon's the man.

I didn't like Kamille at first though. It wasn't until he calmed down a bit that he really began to grow on me. Probably around the time he went to Earth. And even when he was at his hotbloodedest, he was never anywhere close to as over the top as Domon who was always fired up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him or anything. I liked him well enough. He's certainly more interesting than say, Kira or Shinn or Heero.

Kamille is not a hot blooded character in the same sense that Domon is. Kamille is a kid with a troubled childhood and a history of parental neglect. Throwing a tantrum any time kids made fun of him does not make him a hot blooded character. He simply has no impulse control and tends to act rashly without any rational thought. His emotions don't give him an purpose, strength or motivation because they are simply all over the place. Not to mention severe authority issues, which also probably stem from well having horrible parents.

While Domon is driven entirely by his feelings for his family. His father and brother are the core motivations for his actions in the show.

Blader

I'll give you
Neo
, Mr. Tantrum Bushido and Zeheart, because they were all bad. I'll say that, even having felt that
Neo's reunion with Murrue
was one of the only actually good moments in Destiny.

BUT, I think Rau, Zechs, and Schwarz were all benefits to their series. Rau is different enough that he almost wasn't even a Char clone. The only Char thing to him was the mask, Athrun covering the rest of the now-common Char-clone tropes. Which I think is what worked for Rau, he was a more or less different villain dressed up as Char. I haven't finished UC, but having seen MSG and Zeta, I think Zechs is the best straight-forward clone, being the whole prince in the service of his father's foe, and all the pressure ultimately drives him to do some pretty mad stuff. And Schwarz, well, I mean, he's SCHWARZ, so he doesn't need justifying.

I used to think Rau was a poor character because I thought his nihilistic philosophy was a disappointingly lame endgame for him.

Then I realized killing everyone would actually be the best thing to happen to SEED. Shame that didn't work out.

CorvoSol

I used to think Rau was a poor character because I thought his nihilistic philosophy was a disappointingly lame endgame for him.

Then I realized killing everyone would actually be the best thing to happen to SEED. Shame that didn't work out.

If you had to work with people like Yzak and Dearka, wouldn't you become hellbent on destroying the human race, too?

Not one mention of Judau

I'm not even 10 episodes into ZZ yet, but I guess there are guys who have been way worse than him. To wit, Shinn Asuka, Setsuna Fucktard Seiei, Kou Urugi, and Flit Asuno and his spawn are all worse than Judau.

I like that he's different from both Amuro and Kamille so far.

Who I can't stand in ZZ:

Mashmyre
the weird, warped, distorted version of Haman Khan in his flashbacks
All of Judau's friends
Fa Yuiry, who should never have survived to see ZZ.

Fa is awesome. Definitely wife material. Kamille got himself a good girl in her.

Mashymre is god tier awesome. I won't stand by and let people slander him. Gottn is pretty great too. I felt so bad for him having to serve under Mashy lol

As for Judau's junkyard pals, they'll grow on you. The important thing is to take a lot of their antics not too seriously. ZZ is Saturday Morning Cartoon Gundam. Elle is probably my favorite of the lot.

As for Judau himself. I like him well enough. He's a pretty upbeat dude and that sets him apart from a lot of Gundam protagonists. I think the only one who is kind of similar to him is Garrod, and Garrod isn't nearly as cool as Judau.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom