• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the Gundam Dynasty Warriors games? Any value in them if I can't stand the Dynasty Warriors gameplay style but have a perpetual hard-on for Gundam?

I own all 3. Well 2 and 3 because 1 wasn't good enough to fork over money.

Get #3 if anything. One of the best crossovers between the Gundam Series and is rather fun. But I like Dynasty Warriors as a warning to you.

It does make me feel like a badass when I use a Zaku to kill Gundam Pilots and seeing the kill count rack up.

Ezalc

See, I just assumed based on hair color that Maur and Sarah were Cyber Newtypes. And I figured Kamile's hair was supposed to be black.
According to Idolm@ster anytime a character shows up has blue or purple hair it's actually black.

Fucking hell Ezalc, that's such a loaded question and you know it lol. There's only one answer to that question.

G is the definition of bromance in a broanime. I'm surprised Domon didn't just shack up with the Shuffle Alliance at the end of it and ditched Rain lol. So many homoerotic undertones in that show, mostly left unfulfilled and to our imaginations to fill in the blanks. No wonder he wasn't interested in Rain in the earlier portions of the series.

Hohohoho that was the point. Well actually the point was to see if there was any other gundam with some good bromance because that's what I wanted to watch.

If Domon x Hand doesn't count, then I'm casting my vote for Kou x Carrots.

Hahahaha, there are plenty of other bromances in G though.

Good job not reading my follow-up post. ;)

Oh I read it, I just don't see how it's relevant or that it says anything of value.

Actually that is a lie. I skipped over that one and read a few of your following ones. But clearly I didn't miss out on anything. Your post amounted to "It got retconed, I don't know how or even have a good reason as to why but it totally happened"

Wow Gundam UC sure is an extremely vivid mass hallucination then.

One of the most interesting and direct links of continuity that ZZ shares with UC is the Ple/Puru program, as is represented by Marida, a Puru/Ple clone that managed to reach puberty and adulthood (which seems to a be rare thing, as the previous clones in ZZ had such a high probability of death in combat).

Unlike the first Puru/Ple, Marida is downright gloomy though, she seems to behave more like Puru/Ple Two.

When I saw her in the 1st ep, I actually did a double take (is this yet another Ple/Puru clone?), and refused to believe it until they confirmed it outright later on in the series.

Any other ZZ snippets referenced in UC?

They briefly show Glemy Toto in episode 6 of Unicorn as part of Marida's flashback to her past.

Glemy_ova.jpg

Guys I bought Gundam: Crossfire the other day. I'm playing it right now. LOL Its terrible but fun in its own way.

The only way to play is spam beam saber and kill the enemy. The slowdown is so terrible. I'm loving the clunkiness though.

I hear Cross fire has the worst controls for a gundam game ever. Is that true?

I've been playing GvG Next Plus sgain lately. funnel spamming is fun

Dynedom

Oh I read it, I just don't see how it's relevant or that it says anything of value.

Actually that is a lie. I skipped over that one and read a few of your following ones. But clearly I didn't miss out on anything. Your post amounted to "It got retconed, I don't know how or even have a good reason as to why but it totally happened"

So basically you didn't read my post. Fantastic. Not going to bother with you then.

One of the most interesting and direct links of continuity that ZZ shares with UC is the Ple/Puru program, as is represented by Marida, a Puru/Ple clone that managed to reach puberty and adulthood (which seems to a be rare thing, as the previous clones in ZZ had such a high probability of death in combat).

Unlike the first Puru/Ple, Marida is downright gloomy though, she seems to behave more like Puru/Ple Two.

When I saw her in the 1st ep, I actually did a double take (is this yet another Ple/Puru clone?), and refused to believe it until they confirmed it outright later on in the series.

Glemy Toto himself was referenced, unless I'm mistaken. The circumstances of
his rebellion against Haman
are still canon to the series as they started before the end of Zeta Gundam and are directly linked to
Mineva Zabi
. With Gundam UC taking place during the Third Neo Zeon war, ZZ is also directly referenced as the First Neo Zeon war occurs during it
Where Glemy's rebellion would eventually start

It will be interesting to see if Judau is ever referenced and in what capacity.

what does that mean exactly?

For those of us getting here via our subscriptions, nothing much.

It's gonna be a lot harder to get newer Gundam GAF recruits though; the reason I found this thread in the first was due to the fact that it was in the main section of OT itself, not the Community, which I seldom frequent.

Do you have a semi decent PC made in the last 5 years? Wanna play it on a larger screen than the one on your PSP?

Try it with PPSSPP, the latest revisions now support loading previous saves properly (which was the last stumbling block to get it fully playable), and the audio mostly works properly now. Only the FMVs are still non functional.

Get the latest builds from orphis here.

I hear Cross fire has the worst controls for a gundam game ever. Is that true?

Yeah it has terrible control.

I mean the game isn't that hard but when you fight the Gundams are so clunky that I end up behind my opponent and it takes a long time to turn.

Also slashing is really weird because if you get a head strike then its an autokill but that happens randomly. Still having some fun with for for only $6.

The graphics and textures look like a PS2 game at its prime which isn't bad for a launch game. At least the suits have a good model and look near HD. The FPS is probably around 20ish-30. Don't notice any dips. No trophies but that is expected.

Gundam Dynasty Warriors 3 is still the best looking Gundam game state side imo.

Do you have a semi decent PC made in the last 5 years? Wanna play it on a larger screen than the one on your PSP?

Try it with PPSSPP, the latest revisions now support loading previous saves properly (which was the last stumbling block to get it fully playable), and the audio mostly works properly now. Only the FMVs are still non functional.

Get the latest builds from orphis here.

Cool, thanks. My gaming pc is currently under the weather, ever since the harddrive malfunctioned, but once it's back in order i'll have to check it out. I found a translation patch for the game online, but since my PSP isn't moddable anymore, I was trying to think of an alternative and this might be it. Only question I have is if that emulator can use actual PSP saves? It'd such to have to unlock everything again.

As for the FMVs not being viewable, no big loss there. The FMVs are pretty short and not nearly as cool as Gundam Extreme Vs'

Dead

well not really...yet
So what domestic websites that specifically cater to mecha hobby do most people use now?

Im interesting in buying this motherfucker when its released:

0DpHMI1.jpg

d97l6tw.jpg

Metal Build 00 Raiser Tamashii web shop exclusive. Several domestic stores have it for preorder...

(yes I hate 00 Gundam with a passion, but I fucken love the 00 Raiser...)

So what domestic websites that specifically cater to mecha hobby do most people use now?

0DpHMI1.jpg

d97l6tw.jpg

Metal Build 00 Raiser Tamashii web shop exclusive. Several domestic stores have it for preorder...

I agree that Gundam 00 isn't that great but with Raiser it becomes so cool and good looking.

Wait did you mean the show? Well whatever Gundam 00 Raiser is my favorite Gundam in design.

Finished Turn A. Pretty good series. Could have used a tighter focus and 10 fewer episodes, but that is true for pretty much every series to date, and it is still a good series.

Turn X? But that doesn't make any sense!

I am slightly confused by the ending.
Is Dianna dying due to hibernation/old age/whatever? Is that why Loran is chilling with her at the end and the reason for the cane? Did they get married or is that a ring from the OG Will Game? Guin with long hair and a stache looked pretty boss at the end there, even if he was a shit, and potentially a pedophile. Seriously, how old is Merrybell? Overall, seemed like a pretty happy Gundam series, with not much in the way of death or bad stuff happening.

Are the movies different in content/ending, or is it just a condensed version of the show?

PhiLonius

It's mentioned at a some point that the
constant going in an out of hibernation will eventually cause your systems to sort of rapidly decline, hence the walking stick. The ring is from the original Will Game and Loran had always been fiercely loyal to Dianna so decides to stay with her till the end.

That ending montage/music is awesome.

It's mentioned at a some point that the
constant going in an out of hibernation will eventually cause your systems to sort of rapidly decline, hence the walking stick. The ring is from the original Will Game and Loran had always been fiercely loyal to Dianna so decides to stay with her till the end.

That ending montage/music is awesome.

Yeah, nice, long, and well done. I appreciate the input, basically what I thought, but nice to confirm. And yeah, it outright states that it has some negative effects, and hints that
Corin Nander is really old, and his mental instability and eventual breakdown was more due to hibernation than anything elese

frye

Are the movies different in content/ending, or is it just a condensed version of the show?

I haven't seen them myself but from what I've gathered, they're compilations but more like the Zeta movies than the 0079 ones. There are technically subs, but they're from bootlegs iirc.

The Zeta Compilation at least had new animation and a new ending. TUrn A movies are literally just re-editted. It's not worth your time to watch them if you've watched the show, to be honest.

Turn A is so good. I love the ending. <3 Sochie.
LORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

PhiLonius

I really hated Sochie at the beginning. Found her to be a bit annoying at times.

By the end though she kind of toned it down and became one of my fav characters.

But Harry Ord is the greatest.
Purple/Gold Star pajamas
and all.

Harry Ord is pretty cool, goofy glasses and all. I did like the line he had with Kihel about having his eyes on another woman, when she responded with: ah, so that explains the glasses. So hideous, no real purpose, especially when he disguises himself as a bumblebee it is with clear glasses. Still, a pretty cool character. I can't believe I barely noticed the star pajamas. But still, his best part is ... "UNIVERSE!" What? What are you talking about, man?

As for Sochie, I thought she behaved realistically as a 15 year old with rage issues after what happened. Loran kept her in check (is Rolan the official translation? Going of the wiki I would guess that was what Bandai was going to do), and she grew up over the course of the series. She was kind of second fiddle, sometimes in actuality, sometimes just in her own head, throughout the show, and
seemed justifiably upset by that at the end, although I hope she swam after Loran's goldfish. Dick move. Anyways, I kind of figured Loran would return after Dianna dies, and they would pick up their love-hate relationship again where it left off.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 39

The OP left me in shock for a few moments or rather the stuff seems just unexpected, especially and then the scene with
Natarle with Azrael's crew
which was later explained this episode. I dont know how I feel about it.
Natarle has always been up there with Ramius as one of the best female characters in Gundam and putting her on the antagonist side seems like its making her be next in line for facing death at some point in time. I really do not want that to happen but as has been the case so far in this anime most of the commanders have all taken huge deaths except for the masked Cruesset. Natarle and Murrue are really good and must survive. Oh and additionally Lacus fully in this new role is awesome, why is she so great and awesome in action, the broadcast, and taking charge of everything. I cant wait to see what else she shall do especially if she did convince, Athrun, Kira, Dearka to join her side on that new ship?

Seed is definitely getting as good as Gundam 00 season and even reaching to Gundam Wing tier, if the last episodes can remain just as good and strong. It might become my second favorite Gundam.

CorvoSol

0DpHMI1.jpg

d97l6tw.jpg

I'd also like to know, because I'd like to be able to buy the ARX-8 Laevatein for less than 50 bucks if I could.

Harry Ord is pretty cool, goofy glasses and all. I did like the line he had with Kihel about having his eyes on another woman, when she responded with: ah, so that explains the glasses. So hideous, no real purpose, especially when he disguises himself as a bumblebee it is with clear glasses. Still, a pretty cool character. I can't believe I barely noticed the star pajamas. But still, his best part is ... "UNIVERSE!" What? What are you talking about, man?

As for Sochie, I thought she behaved realistically as a 15 year old with rage issues after what happened. Loran kept her in check (is Rolan the official translation? Going of the wiki I would guess that was what Bandai was going to do), and she grew up over the course of the series. She was kind of second fiddle, sometimes in actuality, sometimes just in her own head, throughout the show, and
seemed justifiably upset by that at the end, although I hope she swam after Loran's goldfish. Dick move. Anyways, I kind of figured Loran would return after Dianna dies, and they would pick up their love-hate relationship again where it left off.

There isn't really a whole lot of Turn A merchandise made, and I don't think the US has gotten any of it. Still, the Dynasty Warrior games refer to him as Loran, so I guess that's about as official as we're going to get until we get a Turn A release here (which may never happen). It should be noted though that Dynasty Warriors refer to a certain ZZ gundam as "Puru and Puru Two", while Bandai has decided to go with Ple (pronounced with Pull) for the official US name.

In any case, I prefer Loran over Roran. The Loran > Laura joke makes a lot more sense that way

Seed is definitely getting as good as Gundam 00 season and even reaching to Gundam Wing tier, if the last episodes can remain just as good and strong. It might become my second favorite Gundam.

Which shows have you seen?

Wing

Watch G Gundam next. Follow up with Gundam Unicorn. Also make sure to watch the 8th MS team and the original Gundam when the HD Origin version comes out this or next year.

On that note Wing was so much Yaoi bait lol. I didn't realize until late into the season that only Relena and Noir were the only 2 females in the series.

Everywhere else there was bromance.

Watch G Gundam next. Follow up with Gundam Unicorn. Also make sure to watch the 8th MS team and the original Gundam when the HD Origin version comes out this or next year.

On that note Wing was so much Yaoi bait lol. I didn't realize until late into the season that only Relena and Noir were the only 2 females in the series.

Everywhere else there was bromance.

Thats why wing is the best.

I should be starting Unicorn this summer when the DVD's come out, and then hopefully the others if they get up online streaming on Daisuki or something. OH and am also reading Gundam origin.

There isn't really a whole lot of Turn A merchandise made, and I don't think the US has gotten any of it. Still, the Dynasty Warrior games refer to him as Loran, so I guess that's about as official as we're going to get until we get a Turn A release here (which may never happen). It should be noted though that Dynasty Warriors refer to a certain ZZ gundam as "Puru and Puru Two", while Bandai has decided to go with Ple (pronounced with Pull) for the official US name.

In any case, I prefer Loran over Roran. The Loran > Laura joke makes a lot more sense that way

It does work better with the whole Laura thing, but outside of Guin I don't think it would matter, and only with him because people always do a double take when he calls him Laura for the first time. I assumed Rolan was going to be official because the wiki uses it, but it isn't even internally consistent. I did note that they went with Ple over Puru (which my fansubs for ZZ used), so I figured they went with official sources where available.

Either way, I thought he was a pretty good protagonist. He was pretty soft, and a bit to subservient, but a good guy. Made it pretty awesome when he flipped out and did things like grab the sword and fight the king, or when Guin tried to make him come back and he used the champagne bottle as a weapon. I think he only logged a few kills, and I think he only lost twice, which isn't too bad. And he isn't even a bad looking lady!

CorvoSol

It's DTL, don't bother trying to argue with him. As long as a show has the power of friendship and yaoi he'll enjoy it and call it the greatest thing ever.

I'd say he'd love G Gundam, then, but frankly neither Domon nor George look like his type. Although he'd be all over Domon's mobile trace sequence.

CorvoSol

Most definitely. I think he'll probably like Chibodee the most.

Hmmm . . . I guess. I mean, G just doesn't have that many Kira x Athruns floatin' around.

Guys, I'm starting to think I like ZZ more than Z, but I don't know why, because the Zeta was an infinitely better mech than the piece of crap Double Zeta, and Kamile was a way cooler guy than Judau, and while I do like Roux and despise Fa, Judau's sucky friends still weigh him down more than Kamile's entourage. Which is saying something, because Kamile hung out with Fa AND Katz, who are far and away the worst characters in UC.

The flip side is that I actually kind of like ZZ's villains a lot more. Mashmyre and Chara are incompetent to a hilarious degree, and poor Gottn is so put upon, but none of them are the fuckawful pretentious pieces of shit that Paptimus Sriracha was, nor as gratingly terrible as Rekkua and Sarah (who were the Titans equivalent to Fa and Katz), and so on.

fertygo

Hmmm . . . I guess. I mean, G just doesn't have that many Kira x Athruns floatin' around.

Guys, I'm starting to think I like ZZ more than Z, but I don't know why, because the Zeta was an infinitely better mech than the piece of crap Double Zeta, and Kamile was a way cooler guy than Judau, and while I do like Roux and despise Fa, Judau's sucky friends still weigh him down more than Kamile's entourage. Which is saying something, because Kamile hung out with Fa AND Katz, who are far and away the worst characters in UC.

The flip side is that I actually kind of like ZZ's villains a lot more. Mashmyre and Chara are incompetent to a hilarious degree, and poor Gottn is so put upon, but none of them are the fuckawful pretentious pieces of shit that Paptimus Sriracha was, nor as gratingly terrible as Rekkua and Sarah (who were the Titans equivalent to Fa and Katz), and so on.

Well ZZ have (more)Hamann Karn.

Ezalc

This is just basing it on the notion that he isn't into bear-types. If that's the case he'll like Argo. In reality I can see him liking Sai Saici as well. Him and Domon have a few moments, though it's more lil/big bro stuff.

CorvoSol

This is just basing it on the notion that he isn't into bear-types. If that's the case he'll like Argo. In reality I can see him liking Sai Saici as well. Him and Domon have a few moments, though it's more lil/big bro stuff.

I'm making a judgment based solely off his avatars, but it'd be my guess that Domon x Chibodee is the only possible ship for him, unless he somehow goes for Domon x George or Chibodee x George.

Except I think George tends to be the weakest link in the team in terms of character. Then again, my tastes have proven largely antithetical to DTL's, so I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom