• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if everyone I knew at Bandai Ent was let go cause the consensus back in the day was older Gundam was good and dead in the US. Perhaps Sunrise realized it was never going to get licensed by anyone else and is letting the stuff be brought over cheap now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
donkey show said:
ZETA ZAKU IS BEST ZAKU!

ZZ was good for half of the series. I could definitely do without those Moon Moon episodes. =/

:lol
I just finished those. Such random and stupid filler.

Kagari said:
Episode 17 now. Core Top about to be stolen, oh noes!
Still early! It gets muuuuuuuuuch better very soon.

I always thought it was hilarious how Fa's piloting skill dramatically falls off in the start of ZZ. I mean she was decent enough to survive Zeta in a fucking Methuss and then she can't even figure out how to make the damn Zeta walk properly. :lol :lol :lol

Dresden

I've watched up to episode 6 in Turn A Gundam. Liking it so far.

Did anyone feel, at that early stage in the anime, that all the Earthlings are douchebags? Their cause is understandable but it's rather infuriating.

ZZ gundam despite the shitty episodes, the 2nd half was pretty awesome.

Himuro said:
Why?

The chances of it being a success are slim unless they air it on tv. This will bomb and no one will give a shit. Ten years too late. I'm sure most people buying it will have already watched it in fansub form.

Pretty much my thinking. Some really dumb decisions at Bandai Ent or they are getting the show for dirt cheap and it's going to be a quick and dirty release. I worked with Bandai Ent game division for a while and knew some of the folks working in the entertainment division, and Gundam was a giant loss for them outside of the newer releases. Stuff like Turn A was never expected to come over along with any more old series after the Zeta and 0079 debacles. Even quick sub only releases were considered not worth it cause of Sunrise demands on the license making it next to impossible to make any money.

My thinking is that with the way the market has been going that the Japanese are easing off and making it easier if not cheaper to bring things over. Turn A is probably seen as something that will be so different from normal Gundam that it might attract different viewers than normal.

It's cool it's coming over though, can't wait to get the discs, just doesn't seem logical for the company to do it..... oh well good for us either way.

My tribute to one of the greatest Gundam characters ever.

lbpmasterasia.jpg

LOOK, THE EAST IS BURNING RED! ;_;

I still have man tears for Kyoji's and Master Asia's death every time I watch it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
donkey show said:
LOOK, THE EAST IS BURNING RED! ;_;

I still have man tears for Kyoji's and Master Asia's death every time I watch it.

I know right? Maybe I'll rewatch that next :X

Kagari said:
I know right? Maybe I'll rewatch that next :X
I rewatch G Gundam basically every month. :lol For as wacky as it is, it had good character development.
The mini-montage of Domon and Master as Master Gundam was going down in flames was perfect. ;_;

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Out of all the Alternate Universe series, it's probably my favorite. IT'S SO FULL OF EMOTION. And awesome.

Kagari said:
Out of all the Alternate Universe series, it's probably my favorite. IT'S SO FULL OF EMOTION. And awesome.
No doubt. I'd argue it's my favorite Gundam series (with X and Zeta taking a close second). It started my Gunpla craze back in the 90s and I even had the junky SNES fighting game. It was a great mix of Super Robot and Gundam and definitely rocked on the emotion part. :D :D :D

Blader

donkey show said:
I rewatch G Gundam basically every month. :lol For as wacky as it is, it had good character development.
The mini-montage of Domon and Master as Master Gundam was going down in flames was perfect. ;_;

I still think G Gundam is one of the best written Gundam series, especially in terms of plot development. There was never any sense that they were making things up as they went along, all the major revelations were seeded early on. Hell, the final arc of
Devil Gundam taking over the Neo-Japan colony
was shown in the OP about 40 episodes before it happened! :lol

And outside of
, it has the saddest death:
(MAJOR SPOILERS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6-jgOSGPw

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
I still think G Gundam is one of the best written Gundam series, especially in terms of plot development. There was never any sense that they were making things up as they went along, all the major revelations were seeded early on. Hell, the final arc of
Devil Gundam taking over the Neo-Japan colony
was shown in the OP about 40 episodes before it happened! :lol

And outside of
, it has the saddest death:
(MAJOR SPOILERS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6-jgOSGPw

;_;

I always hoped he could be saved :( DAMN YOU SUNRISE.

lol, never saw the English dub version though. It's definitely more emotional in Japanese.

Blader

Kagari said:
;_;

I always hoped he could be saved :( DAMN YOU SUNRISE.

lol, never saw the English dub version though. It's definitely more emotional in Japanese.

Blashphemy. Mark Gatha is awesome!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
The Japanese are the true silly screaming manly robot fighting voices of this world.

Kagari said:
Or Char's Counter Attack and Gundam F91 :/
Damn you Bandai. MY MONEY, I WILL GIVE IT TO YOU.

Neither movie sold all that well in the US, I doubt they would want to waste time putting on Blu which would sell worse.

The Japanese blu rays of both also have english on them already.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
seipherzero said:
I'm glad I'm not alone!

His confession of love to Rain gets me teary too :x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi9f_IbAvIQ

I always thought everyone hated G! It's def my top Alternative universe series.
Yeah all this praise for G is making me want to check out G gundam. I assume most of the people that hate on G gundam are the "GUNDAM IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" group, which doesn't apply to me thankfully.:D

Lafiel said:
Yeah all this praise for G is making me want to check out G gundam. I assume most of the people that hate on G gundam are the "GUNDAM IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" group, which doesn't apply to me thankfully.:D

Well lot of people hate on the more silly Gundam stuff like Wing or Seed which get away from the more "realistic" UC universe, so it's natural some are going to absolutely hate G Gundam.

G Gundam was fun as all hell, but I never really considered it an actual Gundam show myself.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BattleMonkey said:
Neither movie sold all that well in the US, I doubt they would want to waste time putting on Blu which would sell worse.

The Japanese blu rays of both also have english on them already.

But it's expensive to import them :(

B.K. said:
The Char's Counterattack Blu-Ray is in English? Dubbed or subbed?

I think it has both subs and dub, but not sure. Might just have the dub. You can find it on most import sites but it's like 60 bucks a disc

Blader5489 said:
This is the most epic scene in G Gundam:
YO Blader5489, I'm really happy for you, and ima let you finish, but Master Asia and Domon had the most epic scene in Gundam of ALL TIME!! Of ALL TIME!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-dPupSnaF0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68U_94ynX94

the JP version is much better in the emotion aspect though

Just the build up to the whole moment since early in the series, the buildup, the resolution... and the fact that the last part of the scene is also an homage to one of the most epic scenes in Hokuto no Ken...

THE SCHOOL OF THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!
THE WINDS OF THE KING!!!
ZENSHIN!!!
KEIRETSU!!
TEMPA KYOURAN!!!
LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!!!

*man tears flowing*

BattleMonkey said:
G Gundam was fun as all hell, but I never really considered it an actual Gundam show myself.

brightpunch.jpg

Heh, always pisses people off. Outside of name and the gundam head, the show really has zero relation to Gundam. Even most AU's have many homages, similarities, rip offs, etc, etc. I don't think it's a bad show at all, it was excellent really, I just always never felt like it was really a Gundam show though... I dunno.

BattleMonkey said:
Heh, always pisses people off. Outside of name and the gundam head, the show really has zero relation to Gundam. Even most AU's have many homages, similarities, rip offs, etc, etc. I don't think it's a bad show at all, it was excellent really, I just always never felt like it was really a Gundam show though... I dunno.
:lol It's all good and completely understandable due to the Super Robot theme and offshoot feel of the show, but it definitely carried A LOT of the usual Gundam tropes:

- space colonies
- the protagonist Gundams rocked the original Blue/Red/White color scheme
- protagonist gets a mid-series upgrade
- has funnels/bits
- protagonist was essentially forced into piloting the Gundam
- had mono-eye mobile suits in the form of the Devil Army
- even had GM looking mofos in the Neo-Japan army
- had the masked rival in Schwarz Bruder (which is the most hilarious attempt at a German name due to the story and obvious outcome)
- Domon is mad wangst at times, but for more valid reasons than most other Gundam protagonists

On a random note, a bunch of old school Gundams showed up for the final battle...

http://www.figure.fm/post/en/4720/special+guest+in+G+gundam.html

Wing Gundam and Crossbone Gundam also made their first animated appearance during that episode. :lol

Saying G Gundam isn't a Gundam show is like saying Super Mario RPG isn't a Mario game.

Kagari said:
Not enough correction punches going on in ZZ.
Most definitely, but when they happen... lol Wong.

Leezard

donkey show said:
:lol It's all good and completely understandable due to the Super Robot theme and offshoot feel of the show, but it definitely carried A LOT of the usual Gundam tropes:

- space colonies
- the protagonist Gundams rocked the original Blue/Red/White color scheme
- protagonist gets a mid-series upgrade
- has funnels/bits
- protagonist was essentially forced into piloting the Gundam
- had mono-eye mobile suits in the form of the Devil Army
- even had GM looking mofos in the Neo-Japan army
- had the masked rival in Schwarz Bruder (which is the most hilarious attempt at a German name due to the story and obvious outcome)
- Domon is mad wangst at times, but for more valid reasons than most other Gundam protagonists

On a random note, a bunch of old school Gundams showed up for the final battle...

http://www.figure.fm/post/en/4720/special+guest+in+G+gundam.html

Wing Gundam and Crossbone Gundam also made their first animated appearance during that episode. :lol

Saying G Gundam isn't a Gundam show is like saying Super Mario RPG isn't a Mario game.

Most definitely, but when they happen... lol Wong.

Don't forget that Master Asia pretty much has the same objective as
Char in Char's Counterattack.

ZoddGutts

Saw Unicorn first ep awhile ago. I sorta liked it, I mean it had good animation but the story felt rushed especially with the whole "suprise I'm your father" thing and the "omg I've suddenly fallen in love with you thus I shall follow you and want to protect you where ever you go" thing. Good thing the girl rejected him and told him to buzz off seriously the kid was a bit out there.

Wes

venison crêpe
ZoddGutts said:
Saw Unicorn first ep awhile ago. I sorta liked it, I mean it had good animation but the story felt rushed especially with the whole "suprise I'm your father" thing and the "omg I've suddenly fallen in love with you thus I shall follow you and want to protect you where ever you go" thing. Good thing the girl rejected him and told him to buzz off seriously the kid was a bit out there.

Don't worry. This is Gundam we're talking about. For every one rushed episode we'll have eleven slow ones.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Wes said:
Don't worry. This is Gundam we're talking about. For every one rushed episode we'll have eleven slow ones.
But unicorn is only going have 6 episodes!

MG ReZel ! Sweet! How did I miss this news?? :D :D Sorry HG Rezel, I'm not painting you afterall...

Guys who built the MG Unicorn, I have a question - would it be possible to superglue all the transformation joints and make it permanently in destroy mode?

BattleMonkey said:
I think it has both subs and dub, but not sure. Might just have the dub. You can find it on most import sites but it's like 60 bucks a disc

Both are Japanese only, no English audio or subtitle.s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom