• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lol Bandai... I just realized that the same guy who voices Setsuna F Seiei in English also did Amuro (0079, CCA) and Quatre (Wing) AND Dearka (SEED)... get some variety in there, sheesh.

Blader

Kagari said:
lol Bandai... I just realized that the same guy who voices Setsuna F Seiei in English also did Amuro (0079, CCA) and Quatre (Wing) AND Dearka (SEED)... get some variety in there, sheesh.

Also, Shiro = Seabook = Banagher

All done by Steve Staley.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I just ordered some of the older DVD sets... I was an idiot a few years ago and sold some of my Gundam DVDs...

I've decided to watch the series in its entirety in order of timeline, at least for Universal Century, and then for the Alternate Universe shows, in order of release. Sometime to do in the wait time between Unicorn episodes.

B.K.

Kagari said:
So I just ordered some of the older DVD sets... I was an idiot a few years ago and sold some of my Gundam DVDs...

I'm trying to get all the Mobile Suit Gundam DVDs. I wish I'd had the money to get them when they came out. They start getting expensive around volume five. I've found two discs and a used movie store so far. One of them was volume 10. It usually goes for about $50 on Ebay. I got it for $6.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
B.K. said:
I'm trying to get all the Mobile Suit Gundam DVDs. I wish I'd had the money to get them when they came out. They start getting expensive around volume five. I've found two discs and a used movie store so far. One of them was volume 10. It usually goes for about $50 on Ebay. I got it for $6.

I still have volume 1. Seen a few of them for cheap on Amazon. I used to have all of them... definitely regret selling them now. It's a shame Bandai hasn't released a box set as of yet.

distantmantra said:
Both are Japanese only, no English audio or subtitle.s

Yea looking it up it does seem like theres no english. Could have sword that it was supposed to have just the dub and no subs, but perhaps mixing it up with another blu ray release of something else.

vocab

B.K. said:
I think they want to completely forget they ever released Mobile Suit Gundam in America.

Nah, the rumor was that they lost the original Japanese version track, so they COULDN'T release it. At least the Movie collection got a re release. Also, I'm pretty sure 0079 is almost fully subbed with the original audio.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
B.K. said:
I think they want to completely forget they ever released Mobile Suit Gundam in America.

:/

Didn't Japan get remastered 0079 on DVD not too long ago? I always did find it odd they released the original DVDs here with English only even though they're unedited and contain the original music.

B.K.

vocab said:
Nah, the rumor was that they lost the original Japanese version track, so they COULDN'T release it.

I don't mean that. I think they want to forget they ever released it in America because it did so poorly. It did bad enough on TV that Cartoon Network announced that they would never show it again after the first airing about 3/4 of the way through the series and they took it off the air completely after 9/11. They also printed fewer and fewer DVDs with each new release. It didn't do well in America.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
B.K. said:
I don't mean that. I think they want to forget they ever released it in America because it did so poorly. It did bad enough on TV that Cartoon Network announced that they would never show it again after the first airing about 3/4 of the way through the series and they took it off the air completely after 9/11. They also printed fewer and fewer DVDs with each new release. It didn't do well in America.

Yeah I remember that. Such a shame :/

vocab

B.K. said:

Old shows don't do well in America period. They botched the Z gundam release because they didn't think anyone would buy it, and actually give a damn that the subs were dubtitles. Of couse they released the newer 2disc/collections with the better subs.

Bandai has changed a lot since 2000, and it's nice to see them release Turn A.

X-Frame

They marketed the hell out of Gundam Wing in 2000 for like months and months ahead of time. Gundam Wing was huge when it came out I remember - people were even role playing it in chatrooms back on AOL.

Blader

X-Frame said:
They marketed the hell out of Gundam Wing in 2000 for like months and months ahead of time. Gundam Wing was huge when it came out I remember - people were even role playing it in chatrooms back on AOL.

Well yeah, how can you watch this and not get excited? :D

Zapages

Gundam Wing as a kid was awesome fun. I mean as a teenager 13 years old freshmen in high school. I was really into it. Good times and memories. I can't believe it has been 10 years since then. :(

Now a days I prefer MSG, Zeta Gundam, saw the first half ZZ and couldn't stand it. 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, and Chars Counter attack.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finally saw Unicorn 1! wtf at the audio being japanese I coulda swore the description in the PS store saying english >_< Banagher is a hard to name spell/remember! Loved the animation and looks of the show really nice stuffs! The story seems pretty interesting so far to! Oh and Bright finally got an upgrade to commander? Hooray!

Unrelated but earlier this year I watched CCA for the first time after having seen both Z and ZZ and now I hate it even more. At first I hated it for ruining Char but now I doubly hate it for pointlessly killing off
Astonage
-_- Fuck you Tomino!

Kagari said:
:/

Didn't Japan get remastered 0079 on DVD not too long ago? I always did find it odd they released the original DVDs here with English only even though they're unedited and contain the original music.

MSG was released on DVD in Japan in 2006; I was there when the first part of the collection was released.

Barrage

Blader5489 said:

Damn, that's a hype promo.

I always laugh at the part where whats-her-name throws the guy out of the plane and then shoots him in mid-air. He ain't a fuckin bird, pretty sure the fall's gonna do the trick. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
distantmantra said:
MSG was released on DVD in Japan in 2006; I was there when the first part of the collection was released.

Well there we go. Wonder if they'll eventually put it on bluray as well.

Kagari said:
SEED/Destiny was also shafted in America. I remember it being such a low key release.

Seed played on CN several times through, it was edited to hell but did alright for itself and it's slot, and the DVD sales did well. They even put out a bunch of SEED toys and a few video games at the time. SEED was hoped to be the next Wing for Bandai Ent but it never took off and largely because of it's late night slot unlike the prime slot Wing and G got. Destiny really didn't get much attention though as after SEED Bandai Ent had decided to stop bothering with Gundam merchandising and just were going to focus on newer series releases

X-Frame

Barrage said:
Damn, that's a hype promo.

I always laugh at the part where whats-her-name throws the guy out of the plane and then shoots him in mid-air. He ain't a fuckin bird, pretty sure the fall's gonna do the trick. :lol
LOL. I always remember thinking to myself, "Well that was unnecessary." Haha.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Blader5489 said:
Greatest kill ever. We didn't just plant your ass on our secret trap door that will drop you out of the plane. We are going have our bitchy 2nd in command also shoot you through the head from a moving aircraft as you fall down. With a fucking Luger Pistol!

X-Frame said:

That was mainly CN's doing. Unfortunately for Bandai CN stopped caring about Gundam after G and that was very successful ratings wise for them. SEED which was no more violent than Wing got shafted to a late night time slot which really cut down the viewership. When Wing came out the selection of stuff was more limited but as time went on CN began to push Anime towards later time slots in favor of their own shows. For some reason violent stuff was no longer ok for prime slots and they would put on stuff like the SD Gundam Force on instead.

Wing as it was aired would never play on current CN at the same time slot, it was surprising what they got away with after how anal they got later on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wing also originally aired uncut during the day... and then parents complained or something and they started airing an edited version in the daytime slot and moved the uncut release to adult swim.

I didn't like the dub work they did on SEED so I only saw parts of a couple episodes when it aired on CN. Didn't realize they edited it a bunch though.

hteng said:

Poor Domon :lol

Kagari said:
Wing also originally aired uncut during the day... and then parents complained or something and they started airing an edited version in the daytime slot and moved the uncut release to adult swim.

I didn't like the dub work they did on SEED so I only saw parts of a couple episodes when it aired on CN. Didn't realize they edited it a bunch though.

Wing was barely edited, largely some dialogue was toned down and some blood though the show was never really filled with all that much blood. SEED's editing was just ridiculous, all guns had to be changed to futuristic laser guns as if to make it less "real", even at a very late night time slot. They got very anal with what they showed after 9/11

X-Frame

I have all the SEED DVD's and didn't see it on CN when it aired so I can't compare but other than some deaths
Nicol
, I don't remember much that would have to be edited.

X-Frame said:
I have all the SEED DVD's and didn't see it on CN when it aired so I can't compare but other than some deaths
Nicol
, I don't remember much that would have to be edited.

I wonder how they handled the dialogue surrounding Kira and Flay sleeping together...?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Looking at this 00 movie... it seems like it won't be very good... I already hate 00 for just about everything as it is. Someone needs to go back in time and tell Sunrise it was a bad idea.

X-Frame

Personally, I really like 00 and can't wait for this movie. The Gundam's look insane, almost to the point of ridiculousness.

Blader

I'm looking forward to it too. Graham in a twin drive Flag = win.

Plus I'm wondering if the rumors are true and they'll actually (potentially huge spoiler)
kill off Setsuna.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
I'm looking forward to it too. Graham in a twin drive Flag = win.

Plus I'm wondering if the rumors are true and they'll actually (potentially huge spoiler)
kill off Setsuna.

Graham is the only character I liked in 00 and they barely gave him any screentime in season 2.

As for your spoiler, I hope it happens as
I can't stand Setsuna or the other Gundam pilots and I really hated that whole 'true innovator bullshit at the end. So stupid. Can't we have a show that doesn't focus on genetically enhanced characters? That's why I love Gundam 0080/0083/08th MS Team so much.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Season 1 was good, but season 2 was like... they didn't learn anything from their mistakes with SEED Destiny.

Kagari said:
Season 1 was good, but season 2 was like... they didn't learn anything from their mistakes with SEED Destiny.

Season 1 felt different, it seemed fresh. 2 just went and tossed in every anime mecha cliche in and some of the worst bad guys ever. The only element of season 2 I liked was that the main cast seemed to have grown in character depth and such, but the whole show overall was just... bad.

My giant army of mobile suits.... will now ram you to death.

Seed was good, Destiny was awful and it had the common effect of making people go back in time and hate the original. Anyone I've known to watch SEED, I always tell them to just stop at the first series.

Jex

Kagari said:
Graham is the only character I liked in 00 and they barely gave him any screentime in season 2.

And even then he said less crazy/weird stuff. For shame.

Blader

A lot of season 2 was rewritten on the fly because of the movie, and Graham specifically had a lot of his arc truncated (if not outright cut) so that he could be carried over into the movie.

Or so the director says!

X-Frame

I agree that S1 was better story-wise, but I loved the Gundams and the battles in S2 along with the character growth. The story in S2, along with the Innovator plots were lame.

Even my brother who liked S1 said he was disappointed with S2, especially having the main baddy be named, "Ribbons". Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom