• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm so over the Alternate Universe now. They need to come up with something else, or go back and animate a bunch of the UC stories that never were. Unicorn is a great start to that.

Blader5489 said:
A lot of season 2 was rewritten on the fly because of the movie, and Graham specifically had a lot of his arc truncated (if not outright cut) so that he could be carried over into the movie.

Or so the director says!

I'll be really irritated if they axe him in the movie.

00 Gundam had magic cancer curing particles of plot hax, eyes were rolled.

Blader5489 said:
At least the final battles in S2 were much better than in S1.

Except for the whole thousands of cloned MS designed to fly straight at you and die. I was like, seriously that is your bright plan, to have them just rush into the enemy bullets hoping to overwhelm them?

They did have some decent action sequences and I think s2 had promise when it started but nosedived in quality as it went along.

Jex

BattleMonkey said:
Except for the whole thousands of cloned MS designed to fly straight at you and die. I was like, seriously that is your bright plan, to have them just rush into the enemy bullets hoping to overwhelm them?

Especially when they'd work so much better as, say, an army?

Jex

BattleMonkey said:
That would require giving them guns, no, make mobile suits and clones to pilot them to ram right into them!

Even in close combat without weapons they'd be pretty useful.:lol

Blader

BattleMonkey said:

They did have some decent action sequences and I think s2 had promise when it started but nosedived in quality as it went along.

When I say final battles, I'm referring to Setsuna/Ribbons, Al impaling that one girl (guy?), and Lockon getting the sickest kill ever.

Also, I'm wondering if all the people complaining about hax are still going to be fans of Unicorn when all is said and done. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
When I say final battles, I'm referring to Setsuna/Ribbons, Al impaling that one girl (guy?), and Lockon getting the sickest kill ever.

Also, I'm wondering if all the people complaining about hax are still going to be fans of Unicorn when all is said and done. :lol

Unicorn is the magic Gundam, so it's okay.

Dambrosi

Banned
Blader5489 said:

But you'd expect a unicorn to be magic.

EDIT: Godammit Kagari, didn't see your post :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WTF.
A colony drop? In my Double Zeta? I'm confused as to why there was absolutely no lead up to that at all.

Blader

Kagari said:
WTF.
A colony drop? In my Double Zeta? I'm confused as to why there was absolutely no lead up to that at all.

Because ZZ is stupid, that's why.

Even better,
the colony just sticks out of the fucking ground!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm actually enjoying the light-heartedness of ZZ, but some of the plot points are presented a bit poorly.

Kagari said:
WTF.

Much of the events in ZZ are very low key since there really is no opposition to Neo Zeon. Haman mentions this at one point as well and the colony drop was in part also just to show that she was in control by being able to take out many of the remaining earth federal officials without opposition.

After Gryps the Federation was in shambles with much of their forces having been lost due to the civil war and the Titans had destroyed much of the Feddie structure. Neo Zeon had free reign to do as they pleased as you see in most of ZZ how they just go around with no opposition except for the few Kabala funded forces like the Ahgama. Meanwhile Neo Zeon goes around having parties on Earth, couring Earth officials, moving around their forces freely, and no one stands in their way.

Blader5489 said:
I suppose so. Nobody seemed to mind when Kamille used newtype hax in Zeta. :lol

Kamille didn't raise the dead, cure cancer, and deus ex the universe.

Blader

Kagari said:
I already know Haman kills herself.

Well that's one thing, but there are plenty of other wtf developments in the last batch of episodes. :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Kamille didn't raise the dead, cure cancer, and deus ex the universe.

He did absorb the dead, went super saiyan, and hacked the final boss suit to win.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
With Bandai finally licensing Turn-A, I wonder if they'll finally get around to bringing over ZZ, Victory and X as well (lol). And maybe rerelease 0079 in a set so I can buy it.

Blader

BattleMonkey said:
Pretty standard UC stuff

Deus ex machina is still deus ex machina.

And I'd even argue it's worse in Zeta. 00 at least established the idea of how GN particles affect the body beforehand; Zeta never set up the idea of using ghosts as giant robot fuel.

Blader5489 said:
Deus ex machina is still deus ex machina.

And I'd even argue it's worse in Zeta. 00 at least established the idea of how GN particles affect the body beforehand; Zeta never set up the idea of using ghosts as giant robot fuel.

Problem is that 00 made it as mechanical/tech, while most people accept it in UC as it was all mystical fantasy magic from newtypes, and not related to the mecha. In 00 the partiles were in line with radiation like effects for all we know, it never was "magical" that it totally came out of left field. In UC bullshit Newtype stuff was happening since the original series and was built up constantly with each new series.

It's also the fact that there was some much garbage in 00 S2 that it just added more fuel to the fire.

BattleMonkey said:
Problem is that 00 made it as mechanical/tech, while most people accept it in UC as it was all mystical fantasy magic from newtypes, and not related to the mecha. In 00 the partiles were in line with radiation like effects for all we know, it never was "magical" that it totally came out of left field. In UC bullshit Newtype stuff was happening since the original series and was built up constantly with each new series.

It's also the fact that there was some much garbage in 00 S2 that it just added more fuel to the fire.
Fucking GN Particles, how do they work?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Which should I watch next: Victory or Gundam X?
I have never seen either, well I saw the first episode of X ages ago but I can't remember it.

hteng

Banned
Kagari said:
I have never seen either, well I saw the first episode of X ages ago but I can't remember it.

Victory is UC, it's as bleak as Zeta, the animation hasn't age well

X is after war, it's less bleak

Blader

Kagari said:

I liked Victory more. It's got a *lot* of flaws (Tomino's mental health bottomed out during this series, and it shows), but it's got it's good parts. Comparatively, I thought X was just flat out boring.

Though if you're enjoying the light-hearted tone of ZZ, you may like X more. Victory is just downright mean at times :lol

Kagari said:
Gundam X. In spite of being pretty much the Gundam equivalent of Mad Max, it's rather light hearted. It's solidly mid-tier Gundam.

Victory is morbidly fascinating but poorly written.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BattleMonkey said:
00 Gundam had magic cancer curing particles of plot hax, eyes were rolled.

You are kidding? that scene was classic. TRANS-AM TRANS-AM TRANS-AM.:lol

Victory gundam gets hate. But it has some fantastic "tomino" moments, while also having a lot of shitty "tomino" moments. And the animation is worse then zeta.>_>

Kagari said:
Hmmm, I think X is one of the best AUs so I'm partially biased towards that (especially with the Frost Bros lulz), but Victory is a good romp if you don't mind characters dying out every other episode

Can't stand Katejina though. Biggest bitch in Gundam? :lol STAND UP TO THE VICTORY!!!

Blader

donkey show said:
Hmmm, I think X is one of the best AUs so I'm partially biased towards that (especially with the Frost Bros lulz), but Victory is a good romp if you don't mind characters dying out every other episode

Can't stand Katejina though. Biggest bitch in Gundam? :lol STAND UP TO THE VICTORY!!!

Katejina is a contender for worst Gundam character ever.

Which is a really impressive feat.

It's harder to make a list of actual likable Gundam characters, especially Tomino ones. Tomino does a real shitty job of making characters that don't do random psycho/stupid shit.

Blader

Kagari said:
Really? There's been some terrible ones, especially in the AU...

Even shitty characters like Kira at least have some kind of arc going on. Katejina just shows up sporadically throughout Victory, and in every appearance she's doing something different.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BattleMonkey said:
It's harder to make a list of actual likable Gundam characters, especially Tomino ones. Tomino does a real shitty job of making characters that don't do random psycho/stupid shit.
Likable Gundam Characters? How dare you!

BattleMonkey said:
Katz Kobayashi and Katejina Loos side story!!!

Blader

BattleMonkey said:

Apolly!

4842229385_ddcab81988_m.jpg

4842846892_506f8f593d.jpg

It burns!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BattleMonkey said:

Judau, he's like... the anti-Tomino character.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:
Katejina is a contender for worst Gundam character ever.

Which is a really impressive feat.
I liked how she started off as somewhat likable. Then she turned into a psychopathic bitch.:lol i thought her turn was incredibly entertaining to watch though.

Judau, he's like... the anti-Tomino character.
What about loran from turn a gundam?

Lafiel said:
I liked how she started off as somewhat likable. Then she turned into a psychopathic bitch.:lol i thought her turn was incredibly entertaining to watch though.
It was so sporadic and kinda random. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom