• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Hero said:
As much as Kira turned out to be a bitch I still prefer him to Setsuna.

Gundam 00 had nothing good going for it, ever. There were maybe three or for fights between both seasons that I thought were impressive.

00 had a few impressive battles. SEED and Destiny had zero, which can be attributed mainly to the stupid amount of stock footage.

I just really hated SEED. The characters were revolting from a writing and design standpoint (everyone has the SAME FACE), the mech designs were uninspired, the fights were boring, and the director was a hack who was more concerned with shipping his characters like some fanfic writer than constructing a decent story. And Kira "Jesus" Yamato is the worst thing ever.

00, at it's best, had some really poignant or surprising developments; at it's worst, it was still mindless entertainment. Had some good music too.

For what it's worth, here's my big Gundamu ranking:

08th > 0080 > 0079 > CCA > G > Zeta > Wing/EW > F91 > 00 > Victory > 0083 > ZZ > X > SEED > Destiny

There, I think I remembered them all :lol

S. L.

you forgot ɐ Gundam :)

Zeta > 0079 > CCA > 0080 > 8th MS > Turn A > 0083 = F91 = ZZ > SEED > Wing > ? > 00 > SEED Destiny

*Never watched G and couldn't really get into V and X

Hero

Blader5489 said:
00 had a few impressive battles. SEED and Destiny had zero, which can be attributed mainly to the stupid amount of stock footage.

I just really hated SEED. The characters were revolting from a writing and design standpoint (everyone has the SAME FACE), the mech designs were uninspired, the fights were boring, and the director was a hack who was more concerned with shipping his characters like some fanfic writer than constructing a decent story. And Kira "Jesus" Yamato is the worst thing ever.

What? SEED had a lot of impressive battles. The Strike in the desert, the Strike defending Archangel single handedly in the ocean, the major Kira vs Athrun fight where they both lose comrades. That's just off the top of my head from not watching the series in years. Destiny's fight with Freedom vs Impulse was pretty awesome too. I agree that the downfall of the series was that the director and writer cared more about pleasing fans and trying to get rating than having a good story but I didn't say I particularly liked SEED/Destiny. But at least there was a handful of stuff that made it not a complete waste of time, unlike 00 S2. Explain to me how 00 S2 was relevant, important or necessary in any way with how the first season ended.
00, at it's best, had some really poignant or surprising developments; at it's worst, it was still mindless entertainment. Had some good music too.
What moments are you talking about?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Turn A > 0079 movies > 0080 > Zeta > 8th MS team > 0083 > Victory > CCA > 0079 series > 00 S1 > Gundam seed > 00 S2 > wing > seed destiny.

I still need to see X, G ZZ & F91.:)

Blader

Hero said:
The Strike in the desert, the Strike defending Archangel single handedly in the ocean,

Kira being godly does not impress me. :lol And like I said, a lot of the battles fell flat because of the ridiculous amount of stock footage. Watching Kira blast the same enemies in the same manner over and over again is not exciting to watch.

the major Kira vs Athrun fight where they both lose comrades.
Destiny's fight with Freedom vs Impulse was pretty awesome too.

Both of these battles are ruined for me by Kira surviving a nuclear explosion to the face *twice*.

Explain to me how 00 S2 was relevant, important or necessary in any way with how the first season ended.

I just said it was entertaining. You're right that the show could have probably ended with S1, more or less, but I thought S2 was still mainly fun to watch.

What moments are you talking about?

There were a lot of surprising deaths in S1, and in S2 I thought
Sergei's
death was pretty sad. And most of the battles were fun to watch. I can't really remember all that many :)lol), aside from the final three-way battle in S2 and the carnage at the end of S1, but I was never bored watching it like with SEED.

Hero

Blader5489 said:
Kira being godly does not impress me. :lol And like I said, a lot of the battles fell flat because of the ridiculous amount of stock footage. Watching Kira blast the same enemies in the same manner over and over again is not exciting to watch.

Dude, are you serious? I'll agree that once Kira gets Freedom he practically has a hax aimbot assist for the remainder of the series but before that at least he was skilled. I don't see how you can condone Kira when Setsuna is pretty much guilty in the same way. Especially the retarded end to S2 of 00 when Setsuna covers the entire galaxy with a rainbow beam of understanding and hippie love.

Both of these battles are ruined for me by Kira surviving a nuclear explosion to the face *twice*.
I hate that crap too but I just roll my eyes at it. Heero somehow survived him blowing up Wing Gundam too.

I just said it was entertaining. You're right that the show could have probably ended with S1, more or less, but I thought S2 was still mainly fun to watch.
Entertainment is subjective but S2 had nothing of importance at all. All it did was ruin how S1 ended.

There were a lot of surprising deaths in S1, and in S2 I thought
Sergei's
death was pretty sad. And most of the battles were fun to watch. I can't really remember all that many :)lol), aside from the final three-way battle in S2 and the carnage at the end of S1, but I was never bored watching it like with SEED.

Sergei was the best character in the show so yeah, that was probably the only emotional attachment I had. But the fact that you can't remember any of the fights just goes to show that S2 had shitty battles.

Blader

Hero said:
Dude, are you serious? I'll agree that once Kira gets Freedom he practically has a hax aimbot assist for the remainder of the series but before that at least he was skilled. I don't see how you can condone Kira when Setsuna is pretty much guilty in the same way. Especially the retarded end to S2 of 00 when Setsuna covers the entire galaxy with a rainbow beam of understanding and hippie love.

Because I like (for example) the choreography of Exia chopping up Flags more than I liked Kira lining up targets and blasting them with a dozen cannons ad nauseum. Now that I think of it, I don't think 00 really had any stock footage in its fights, which may be why I found them more entertaining than SEED's.

I hate that crap too but I just roll my eyes at it. Heero somehow survived him blowing up Wing Gundam too.

At least we see Heero get blown off the gundam. Kira somehow survived despite his seat beneath him being melted (not to mention he ends up somewhere else completely, for no fucking reason).

Sergei was the best character in the show so yeah, that was probably the only emotional attachment I had. But the fact that you can't remember any of the fights just goes to show that S2 had shitty battles.

Probably has more to do with me watching the whole series in like 2 weeks, so everything blended together. And like I said, the end fights in both S1 and S2 really stick out for me.

I mean, I thought the battles in Victory Gundam were pretty well done, but I'd be hardpressed to list off more than a couple specific examples. I'm not committing the contents of every battle to memory. I can just tell you whether I remember them being entertaining or not -- 00's being fun to watch, SEED's being boring.

MG Deathscythe in September. I'm still unsure if it's the EW version, the original or the Ver Ka design. All the sites say it's the EW version, but they mention the Buster Shield and beam claw parts which that one didn't have.

If it's the EW version, I probably won't get it.

They'll be reusing the inner frame for all the non-transformable Wing Gundams, so we'll get Heavyarms, Sandrock and Shenlong eventually.

X-Frame

I just watched Episode 1 of Gundam Unicorn and WOWWWWWWW.

Did Episode 2 come out yet? I just found out about this new Gundam show yesterday so excuse my ignorance ..

Blader

X-Frame said:
I just watched Episode 1 of Gundam Unicorn and WOWWWWWWW.

Did Episode 2 come out yet? I just found out about this new Gundam show yesterday so excuse my ignorance ..

It'll be out sometime in the fall.

X-Frame

Wow so it's going to take like 9 months to release the next "episode"?

I thought I read there were 6 episodes .. so that's like 3 years to complete the series?

Snaku

Banned
X-Frame said:

I thought I read there were 6 episodes .. so that's like 3 years to complete the series?

Depressing, huh?

Xater

For the Gunpla fans in here:

HLJ now has free express shipping until June 11th if you pay using PayPal.

I basically have no spar money right now otherwise I would use this opportunity.

X-Frame

Anyone know if there's any of the OST available anywhere from Gundam Unicorn?

The music was absolutely amazing.

S. L.

Xater said:
For the Gunpla fans in here:

HLJ now has free express shipping until June 11th if you pay using PayPal.

I basically have no spar money right now otherwise I would use this opportunity.
wooo, totally neat. not really worth it for a single lightweight MG or HG kit thou, as those even with shipping are cheaper on r10 and the likes. But pretty sweet for supplies and paints and heavy stuff

ordering some bottles mr resin primer, some yellow sub joints and masking tape, and maybe some more of that awesome mori mori putty

X-Frame

Thanks guys. I've watching Gundam Unicorn 4 times already, twice in Japanese and twice in English - though I seem to like the Japanese VA's better ..

Xater

Man when will the Unicorn BD reach normal pricing? I am not going to pay this much for a BD with basically no bonus content.

Xater said:
Man when will the Unicorn BD reach normal pricing? I am not going to pay this much for a BD with basically no bonus content.
I'm just holding out hope for a full collection at a discounted price in three or four years when Unicorn is done.

X-Frame said:

08th MS team took even longer.

There was production issues with 08th team that made it take longer such as the death of the shows director.

And we should be more concerned and hopeful that Bandai Visual JP continues to even bother with the "worldwide" release at all and not abandon the format halfway through or such.

Xater said:

There is actually a ton of bonus content. Problem is that it's all BD-Live stuff that you have to download.

Xater

distantmantra said:
There is actually a ton of bonus content. Problem is that it's all BD-Live stuff that you have to download.

Well even with that is mighty expensive compared to other BDs. I mean you can get the first part of Fullmetal Alchemist on BD for like 30 bucks.

Xater said:
Well even with that is mighty expensive compared to other BDs. I mean you can get the first part of Fullmetal Alchemist on BD for like 30 bucks.

It's R2 pricing. Sucks, but it's better than nothing.

My MG Unicorn Gundam's arm joints aren't sturdy enough to hold his beam rifle at arm's length. Any tips on tightening them? Is such a thing even possible?

S. L.

_dementia said:
My MG Unicorn Gundam's arm joints aren't sturdy enough to hold his beam rifle at arm's length. Any tips on tightening them? Is such a thing even possible?
add a drop of superglue on the male part of the joint and rub it hard/dry ( ;P ) with your fingers or something. snap together again - BAM sturdy joint

SL what order do you do in general for your resin kits?

In my head it goes:

- Clean parts of grease
- Fill holes/sand
- Prime
- Fill more holes/sand if necessary
- Glue/pin
- Tape/Paint (multiple times)
- Final pinning/gluing
- Top coat

What order do you do? I'm curious because your builds are very patient and well done, and I'm doing my best guess based on people doing figure resin/pvc kits.

S. L.

Major Williams said:
SL what order do you do in general for your resin kits?

In my head it goes:

- Clean parts of grease
- Fill holes/sand
- Prime
- Fill more holes/sand if necessary
- Glue/pin
- Tape/Paint (multiple times)
- Final pinning/gluing
- Top coat

What order do you do? I'm curious because your builds are very patient and well done, and I'm doing my best guess based on people doing figure resin/pvc kits.
1. remove flash, gates, etc
2. clean if necessary
3. putty (epoxy (very hard - eg Milliput), polyester (eg. Mori Mori, easy to sand, great to reshape broken off stuff and the likes) and normal putty (for little bruises/scratches, has shrinkage when it drys!, eg. Tamiya putty) all have their uses), fill bubbles, pinning, bend parts back into shape if necessary (boiling water), sanding, sanding, sanding ,sanding
4. prime
5. (optional) find dozens of bubbles, uneven parts, flash, etc - fix them
6. (optional) prime again
7. (optional) find dozens of bubbles, uneven parts, flash, etc - fix them & despair & prime again
8. (optional) repeat 7. if necessary (if you want to paint glossy everything has to be flawless, flat coating is MUCH more forgiving)
9. paint kit/parts & topcoat.
10. assemble, use glue if necessary to hold pins (epoxy glue) or little parts (super glue).

I recommend to have the kit completely assembled/pinned once before you start painting - this can safe you a lot of headaches later on :)

Thank you so much SL. What do you use to pin down things besides magnets? I'm using just some simple wire, but on your blog it looks like you're using some actual metal pins of some sort?

S. L.

Major Williams said:
Thank you so much SL. What do you use to pin down things besides magnets? I'm using just some simple wire, but on your blog it looks like you're using some actual metal pins of some sort?
yeah brass wires. 1mm for small stuff 2mm for big stuff

So apparently a new G Gundam coming will start serialization in Gundam Ace next month...

http://i45.tinypic.com/rmpwe9.jpg (cuz its huge)

And the first chapter will have 118 of fucking win. :OOOO

61773.jpg

G Gundam is Best Gundam!!!

I got some markers with my MG Turn A, but they're just the standard Gundam Marker and they're too big for the finer channels. Can you get markers with smaller tips?

Blader

Gundam Wing is also making a return, with a serialized novel called "Frozen Teardrop," written by Wing's head writer.

Apparently, Frozen Teardrop is not a "true sequel" to Wing, but a transitional story to help setup a real sequel (if one is actually made).

There was a summary out there of the prologue, but I can't seem to find it now.

Finished my first resin kit!

Took around 2 months to finish, made lots of mistakes, primarily to learn for an expensive resin kit I purchased (1/100 Kshatriya). See more pics here.

Also, dimentia, just shop around! eBay is always a great place to start, but then look at local retailers who ship locally, i.e. tatsuhobby.com.

_dementia said:
Where does ameri-GAF import their Gunpla? I want to get the new RG RX-78-2, where should I buy it from?
eBay is a good place to look like Major Williams said. Also check out gundamstoreandmore.com and tisinc99.com. Both have pretty good prices but tisinc99 gets newer stock much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom