• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beargguy looks rad. My favorite thing about that Gunpla Builders thing.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 2

IvyAbKH.gif

Gundam is a serious drama about war and stuff

I've always been bad about following the different factions in these kinds of shows. At least in Legend of the Galactic Heroes I can't feel any guilt over it because I have 110 episodes to learn all that shit. I'll just simplify the factions to whatever I guess.

So we have spacenoids again. And they're trying to get back on Earth. And spaceracist Uso has no intention of letting them so he fucking hijacks a bad guy gundam by climbing outside of it risking his limbs and life and then by some blind luck actually succeeds at it. I hope this is the last time he just succeeds at something by stupid luck alone.

At least Uso has eye for interior decoration. I dig his house. Would gladly live in.

What's slightly worrying however is this. Uso seems to have a healthy obsession with this lady. I doubt it's Katejina's pictures on her Minovskybook. Uso is obviously a stalker.

I wonder how often he faxes her about non-war-related-stuff.

Still wondering what's the deal with Shakti. A friend? Relative? Wartime orphans who managed to deal with stuff through being together?

Whatever. As long as there's Minovsky Particles. Spoilers.

PhiLonius

Odd late night musing. I was staring at my Beargguy and noticed the old Heavy Arms HG kit in my stash. I wondered what a Heavy Arms Beargguy would look like so clipped out the guns and taped them on. I think it needs more. Or maybe I should try with the guns from a 1/100 Heavy Arms kit.

Go Full Armor maybe? Missile pads on the legs/shoulders or something.

Bebpo

Banned
Would SEED be better as a harem show set in a modern day Akihabara with two rival high schools going at eachother?

Oh god, I think you just discovered the next Gundam hit series. 0079 reimagined as a dueling high school war. Let's hope Sunrise never finds this post.

PhiLonius

Episode 2

Flashback episode two episodes in. Has to be a record.

Jarring episode sequence aside, we manage to gleam a lot of information from this episode.

For one it opens with Usso paragliding, giving us a main character that has a bit of fearlessness to him right off the bat. His ability to rapidly adapt to situations is also shown when a League Militaire/BESPA battle breaks out during the middle of his descent, and, after managing to avoid the Core Fighter(piloted by Marvet, who manages to somehow inexplicably injure her leg), his parachute latches on to Lt. Asher's mobile suit. Usso not only manages to hang on for dear life on the outside of a mobile suit during the battle, but he then manages to steal the suit itself.

Bringing us to this guy again:

ClJtCcr.png

Not only does he manage to get his ass kicked by a kid, but said kid also manages to make off with his mobile suit. Not living up to the mask so far.

Side note: Waterproof cockpits.

Post first battle we come to find that Usso and Shakti live alone on a farm while Usso's parents are gone. So two fairly young children have been living a self-sufficient lifestyle for some length of time. We also see that Usoo has a pen pal, Katejina, in the nearby city of Woowig, who he seems to be fairly attached to. When BESPA suits are later seen heading to Woowig, Usso flys off to save Katejina.

Iqk51gf.png

Side note II: I don't really like/get rotary beams. Never been a fan of beam shields in general really.

On the way to Woowig Usso gets into his first mobile suit battle and shows his smarts when he uses his planted beam rifle as a decoy, and ultimately downing the enemy suit with his beam saber.

YbAIna7.png

I like the thinness of these beams.

All in all a good "flashback" episode that lays a better foundation for our main character and where he's coming from.

Turn A had something similar, but I never caught it in Victory the first time I watched it.

Oh god, I think you just discovered the next Gundam hit series. 0079 reimagined as a dueling high school war. Let's hope Sunrise never finds this post.
...I think I would watch it. Casval and Char messing around with their identities would be the Dianna Soriel / Kihel Heim of this era. Amuro is a recluse who only ever hangs out with Hayato when he wants to go to WcDonalds.

...I think I would watch it. Casval and Char messing around with their identities would be the Dianna Soriel / Kihel Heim of this era. Amuro is a recluse who only ever hangs out with Hayato when he wants to go to WcDonalds.

And Sayla Mass as head of the Student Council? Noa Bright as head of the Disciplinary Committee, dishing out physical punishment to unruly students on demand.

Yeah I'd watch it.

PhiLonius

Not as thin as Victory, but thinner than normal.

And Sayla Mass as head of the Student Council? Noa Bright as head of the Disciplinary Committee, dishing out physical punishment to unruly students on demand.

Yeah I'd watch it.

I'd watch that. Sounds better than AGE already.

Episode 2

Less than 30 seconds past the stock introduction, Shakti starts flashing back to when this all began. You folks were right, that has to be a record or something.

Uso's one heck of a kid. He goes hang-gliding with a parachute for kicks - arguably the most conspicuous leisure activity ever - even though he's supposed to be laying low. Fat lot of good that does him on this day, since it gets him dragged into a military skirmish, and earns him a lot of physical abuse. But he's tenacious.

He's got great form on his elbows, too.

Marbet's got her share of bad luck too - smashes up the Core Fighter a little and gets injured trying to escape - but thanks to a bit of obstructiveness from Chronicle, and with Uso's antics divvying up their attention, she manages to make it out alive. Meanwhile, Uso gets slammed through forest branches, experiences vertigo, slugs it out with Chronicle, gets tossed into a lake and nearly drowns, ends up rocketing through the lake with some G-forces to spare until he breaches, and still has enough stamina to make it back home. He's got moxie, that's for sure. I imagine that if his wits weren't knocked out of him, he would have sworn off of hang-gliding from that day forward.

I like the whole hive motif going on with the Yellowjackets and the Shokews, but it's presented pretty bluntly. The shell-like armor, the almost gossamer effect that the beam rotors give off, and the cameras for the head camera are all pretty overt.

The mesh pattern that pops up when the suit is scanning is really cool, though.

Likewise, I can't help but feel like using beam tech for rotor blades on a regular helicopter is just the staff's way of beating us over the head with the fact that this is the future. Ah well.

The scene where Uso writes to Katejina was kind of cute. I'll admit that having all those different pictures of her spread out all over his background makes Uso seem a bit weird, but I prefer to think that she sent those to him herself. The idea that Kate only takes angry, disaffected self-portraits is too funny to pass up.

Uso's English is...
fair, if we're comparing it to how people used to send telegrams or something.

The scene with Odelo and co. reminds me of something - why is it that scavengers always go for the ham steak? Furthermore, why is it always ham steak that people stock up on? It's not any cheaper than plain old ham or most other cheap meats.

After that scene, Uso ends up fighting the fearsome Gary, and has his first taste of serious combat and destruction.

Sunrise made a mistake by not leading with this episode. It would have been one heck of a way to open up a show.

First time I watched Victory Gundam Episode 2, I was so confused. The show didn't make it very clear that the first episode took place after it, so there were so many continuity details was was lost on.

Beth Cyra

Well so much for Victory Ver Ka, Bandai announced a Final Battle Bashee Ver Ka reprint and I've been salty ever since I missed it the first time so I went with that.

Actually I have a request if any of my fellow Gundam gaffers would entertain it.

Would a fellow that lives in Japan keep an eye out for a Unicorn Ver Ka in their local shops and be willing to sell it to me at cost +shipping? I already own OVA HD+ MS Cage and the Full Armor but I would love to collect all the Ver Ka's plus Katoki stole my heart with the no vulcans in the head.

I was thinking mail used/second hand shops. I just don't want to spend through the teeth for it when I just dropped 90 on Banshee

CorvoSol

I'll start watching Victory just as soon as I finish reading Crossbone. Which I am only starting tonight. Because I only just finished F91. Which was so-so, which makes it average as far as Gundam movies go. Excluding a certain awful 00ne.

The F91 was an okay looking suit, though.

F91 grew on me. I'll admit that it would have been better as an OVA (or even better, a full tv series), but I love the Cosmo Babylonia aesthetic. And those first 30 minutes are absolutely wonderful. After that, the movie stays pretty good, but becomes too condenced and fast paced.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam Crossbone 1:1

The Crossbone is pretty cool. Mostly that cape. Why are capes always so cool on robots? Anyway, I got a kick out of the term "Jovians" just 'cuz it reminded me of the Jovian Lizards. I wonder if any SRW has had to reconcile that.

Tobia seems okay. Kinda taking a shine to him because the name Tobias is one I'm partial to. Kincaido is apparently Seabook Arno? Hard to tell in black and white manga.

A lot of people make the link between that and Jovian lizards.... but frankly Jovian is a legitimate term for things related to Jupiter.

Jove is the latin term for Jupiter.

CorvoSol

A lot of people make the link between that and Jovian lizards.... but frankly Jovian is a legitimate term for things related to Jupiter.

Jove is the latin term for Jupiter.

Yeah, I knew that already, but since not a lot of things get called "Jovian" on a daily basis, Jovian Lizards are the first thing that came to my mind.

kingmozo9

Banned
Just watched the two victory episodes, still as confusing as I remember (only got halfway through the series when I tried to watch last time) ... I guess that's what happens when you use episode 3 as episode 1 lol.

Shakti is annoying and USO is a very likeable protag IMO.

I love the ending, winners (sounds like weinners) forever.. Very cool

No death toll yet but that'll soon change lol

Also, Shoutout to Flanders and crybaby Karlman lmao.

Also, Shoutout to Flanders and crybaby Karlman lmao.

Baby Karlmann is a (endgame spoilers, do not highlight if you're watching it for the 1st time and have yet to see it to the end)
bawse survivor lol. He's one of the few to escape death and the mega body count by the end of the series. Tomino is rather merciful to the younger children in this show, especially the infants.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam 1:3

There's something unsettling about the X1-Crossbone being able to open its mouth and roar. Probably the fact that it kinda looks somewhere between the Evangelion roar and the Devil Gundam having an actual mouth. Neither bode well.

Not sure how I feel about the artwork for this yet, but the mechs are cool, and these three chapter's've really brought me around to Cecily's character.

Dynedom

I hope that if Gundam Unicorn is even mildly successful (overall) that a Crossbone anime comes to light.

:'(

Would SEED be better as a harem show set in a modern day Akihabara with two rival high schools going at eachother?

I think SEED Destiny was the more "harem" of the 2 shows but lol @ the prospect.

I don't think you need to worry about Unicorn being successful. I think it's like the highest selling OVA of all time or something like that.

Dynedom

I don't think you need to worry about Unicorn being successful. I think it's like the highest selling OVA of all time or something like that.

Gundam OVA or OVA in general because damn if it's the latter.

I'd definitely put it next to WiTP as top tier Gundam OVAge.

The entire premise of Ideon is that it's powered by children being in danger, and so needless to say that happens quite often. In Be Invoked, it's taken to extremes where kids get their heads shot off, and unborn children are killed inside their mothers

charsace

Is the newest gundam show worth a watch. I thought seed started out well and went to crap and also the same with 00. So would it be worth it to watch the new gundam show?

AGE? It's not well executed at all. I think it's better than the CEs but frankly, I can't say I recommend it.

Gundam Build Fighters? Who knows, but I have hopes for it

CorvoSol

Is the newest gundam show worth a watch. I thought seed started out well and went to crap and also the same with 00. So would it be worth it to watch the new gundam show?

AGE? Yeah I wouldn't recommend that. If you're talking Unicorn, though, that's good.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster bd Episode 43
BPBPTVNCIAAbfxS.png

I think I will always remember him in a post such a this, and the others too. I think their skills must be complimented for while the main characters are using that SEED or whatever these guys dont and still manage to last a long time against them, perhaps some powerup is needed for Kira and Athrun, Dearka too?

If I was in universe I guess Id probably on the side of being alright with the Coordinators, Ultimate Coordinator, and what not. I cant see anything wrong with them or why people would even be opposed to them.
Though the cloning and stuff was a bit odd though the artificial womb aspect didnt seem that bad. It was eventually safe even.

Ending stuff there:
Flay is still relevant? No one else seemed to even remember her or have flashback towards her. Am disappointed they are putting her in our faces next episode and giving her some huge role when we have other better characters like the leaders of the three ships (Lacus, Natarle, and Murrae). Was hoping she'd just take a backseat to the plot.

And lastly, they never defined what a CGUE is...

CorvoSol

Gundam Seed HD Remaster bd Episode 43
BPBPTVNCIAAbfxS.png

I think I will always remember him in a post such a this, and the others too. I think their skills must be complimented for while the main characters are using that SEED or whatever these guys dont and still manage to last a long time against them, perhaps some powerup is needed for Kira and Athrun, Dearka too?

If I was in universe I guess Id probably on the side of being alright with the Coordinators, Ultimate Coordinator, and what not. I cant see anything wrong with them or why people would even be opposed to them.
Though the cloning and stuff was a bit odd though the artificial womb aspect didnt seem that bad. It was eventually safe even.

Ending stuff there:
Flay is still relevant? No one else seemed to even remember her or have flashback towards her. Am disappointed they are putting her in our faces next episode and giving her some huge role when we have other better characters like the leaders of the three ships (Lacus, Natarle, and Murrae). Was hoping she'd just take a backseat to the plot.

And lastly, they never defined what a CGUE is...

The big problem with the Coordinators, aside from the fact that they're artificially better than others and that makes a huge problem for a world where some people could not ever hope to afford such things, is that they're a dangerous and unsustainable risk.
They have a selective breeding program, and in spite of that, their population is shriveling at an alarming rate. Coordinators cannot hope to survive as regular human beings, which means people must either give up another part of humanity (in addition to the part they surrendered in favor of arranged marriages) or face extinction.

They can be nice people all they want, but Coordinators were not without their serious errors.

The entire premise of Ideon is that it's powered by children being in danger, and so needless to say that happens quite often. In Be Invoked, it's taken to extremes where kids get their heads shot off, and unborn children are killed inside their mothers

The entire premise is that Ide cherishes innocents, unborn, young children, infants, humans that are not corrupted or twisted by hate or desire for revenge. So yes at the very end Ide does not save Piper Lou or Messiah from danger but awakens and ends the entire universe. Victory is pretty much just a slightly more cheerful version of Ideon.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam Crossbone 1:4

So the mission is a bust. The important thing is that
not everyone in the Jupiter Sphere hates the Earth. One can only hope that this includes Judau and Roux and the family they definitely had SHUT UP MEGALOSORO I CAN DREAM IF I WANT TO.
Anyway, I'm always surprised by the uncanny skill of untrained kids until I remember that being a Newtype more or less is Gundam's way of handwaving away a multitude of sins.

Also,
Mr. Karas is a super creepy dude. With his mask, is he Crossbone's Char clone?

He's a re-occuring villain, but I hesitate to call him a Char clone. CB doesn't really have one, though maybe

SPOILER FOR VOLUME 3
Zabine could almost qualify as one... but he's more of a (competent) Jerid than a Char

Dynedom

I remember back when a friend of mine finished watching Zeta Gundam and lamented on how Tomino
damn near killed everyone
and was sick of it. He then decided to watch
Dunbine and Ideon

I prayed for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom