• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wubby

Well so much for Victory Ver Ka, Bandai announced a Final Battle Bashee Ver Ka reprint and I've been salty ever since I missed it the first time so I went with that.

I'm debating getting this one. I just can't decide though.

As for Unicorn Ver Ka I don't see how I could get this to you cheaper than HLJ. Even my local used shop Kanteidan sells it for about the same price as HLJ and they get cheaper shipping rates than I would.

Corvo got banned? Also looks perma to me (his avatar is gone).

Shiet, GundamGAF's lost another one. Our numbers are dwindling.

Anyway, on topic, since it is Sunday (morning) it is time for yet another,

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 3 DVD

"Uso's Fight"
"Usso no Tatakai" (ウッソの戦い)

A short preamble:-

Today's will be rather short and sparse since I stayed up since Saturday thanks to the GZ trial verdict and spent the last few hours reading the massive reaction thread in OT-GAF while watching the episode on the side. What a clusterfuck.

Now onto the episode itself:-

The episode deals with the 2nd half of the flashback started by episode 2. Shakti notes that Usso has been "irrevocably altered" by the events of the previous episode.

As you may recall, Woowig is being bombarded by the Zanscare Empire's Yellow Jackets (ZEYJ) in their search for the LM. Usso heads right into the fray, and witnesses for the first time, up close and personal, the wanton destruction wrought upon the city and it's civillians and the cruelty of the ZE.

Another duel ensues between yet another Asher subordinate and Usso, to be interrupted by a still breathing LM survivor who tries to take down the both of them.

It's interesting to note at this point that Katejina Loos is still on the whole idea that the Yellow Jackets are a cruel indiscriminate killing force. And the actions of the YJs in this episode certainly helps to enforce that idea.

It also in the episode that we're introduced, (chronologically speaking) to baby Karlmann for the very first time. It is really heart wrenching to see his mother getting gunned down while trying to get him to safety. Such is the harsh reality of this Tomino show; he certainly doesn't sugar coat it.

iveFgzUCKs2Sz.png

He is saved by the timely actions of Usso.

The ZE, having then realised that one of their own got taken down in that area proceed to futher level it down.

We head back to the "other" Asher subordinate (Lt Gary) who escaped from Usso's first take down at the end of the previous episode. He meets up with Asher and they're both promptly airlifted out of the area.

The POV switches back to Usso and Katejina (plus baby Karlmann) who've somehow managed to escape death, but are buried under the wreckage by the earlier bombings. Usso gets them out of there, and they discover the remains of an underground railway system from an earlier era.

Asher gets back to HQ where he's debriefed.

Cut back to the trio, who're now on their way back to the settlement in Kasarelia on the outskirts of the city thanks to the MS.

At the settlement, you really see how low the ZE gets; they threaten to take down Shakti from the comfort of their Zolos if they refuse to abide for questioning.

Usso gets there in the nick of time in the Shokew. You know exactly where this is heading towards. More MS on MS action incoming.

isiWod0ympCZq.png
iyoBlV95WTWXt.png

It's 2 on 1 beatdown, with Usso barely surviving, until Ms Marbet and the other old dudes of the LM come in to bail him out with the Victory's beam rifle. Which promptly takes out one of the Zolos and causes the other one to bail.

iX4Mn7MWWls1G.png
iSKPqnfTjcDt3.png

The episode rounds off with a happy ending for now and a union of the major players on the LM side. I found this scene in the closing minutes in particular to be rather funny, given of what I know will happen by the end of the series (in terms of Usso's and Katejina's relationship):-

ibmxptI5F298Q3.png

With this episode over and done with, the storyline can now progress forward in time again. It has some really jarring cuts that makes watching it feel like someone else is skipping it fast forwards at times, but is still a solid effort.

Tomino Kill Count:- 0

B

Corvo was banned? Jeez, I really enjoyed reading his reactions to stuff. I wonder what he did.

It's a shame. So soon after his excellent Mecha topic

Wubby

Corvo posted this on his YouTube channel:

In case anyone on GAF sees this (thanks Nintendo man for reminding me I HAD this), I am only banned till tomorrow night. The lesson I have learned from this ban is "Add people to your ignore list more quickly."

Hope he comes back soon. I had a look at his post history and none of his recent ones in the Anime GAF thread seem inflammatory enough to get the ban hammer.

I went through that thread and he and some guy were arguing about Sword Art Online. They were both banned. Corvo was being highly positive about that show, launching verbal attacks against anyone who disliked it.

fertygo

I went through that thread and he and some guy were arguing about Sword Art Online. They were both banned. Corvo was being highly positive about that show, launching verbal attacks against anyone who disliked it.

My sarcasm detector are broken for this post.

Its the opposite lol

Dynedom

Man my Gundam history must be really spotty because this isn't the first time I'm reading theories on Char being a siscon. Didn't he have an unhealthy obsession with Lalah rather than Sayla? I mean, wasn't the whole point of CCA
a roundabout revenge play at Amuro for Lalah's death?

Maybe I need to rewatch 0079 again.

Man my Gundam history must be really spotty because this isn't the first time I'm reading theories on Char being a siscon. Didn't he have an unhealthy obsession with Lalah rather than Sayla? I mean, wasn't the whole point of CCA
a roundabout revenge play at Amuro for Lalah's death?

Maybe I need to rewatch 0079 again.

What predilections and hang-ups has Char managed to avoid at this point? It's like his mental health is a model kit for the fandom, and any complexes he might have are like different colors of paint.

Dynedom

What predilections and hang-ups has Char managed to avoid at this point? It's like his mental health is a model kit for the fandom, and any complexes he might have are like different colors of paint.

So what you're saying is: he's a mosaic of mental imbalances?

Maybe the multiple aliases should have been a giveaway! The guy was just indecisive, is all.

So what you're saying is: he's a mosaic of mental imbalances?

Maybe the multiple aliases should have been a giveaway! The guy was just indecisive, is all.

It seems so obvious in retrospect, I don't know how I could have missed it. It must have be all the red and gold he wears that threw me off.

I never once picked up that Char was into Sayla. You could make more of an argument that it was Sayla who was into Char with all of her "CASVAL-NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISAN" shenanigans in the back half of MSG, but even then it isn't really something I'd point out since it was clearly her worrying for her brother rather than her wanting to boink him.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 3

This is essentially a "horror's of war" episode.

It starts with Shakti having a weird external monologue while walking through a forest. Then it's on to the 2nd half of our flashback. We start with Usso nearing Woowig and we get to see the methods of the Zanscare Empire in action as they bomb the still occupied city. Throughout the first half of this episode we're shown a few scenes of civilians being gunned down in cold blood and it clearly paints Zanscare/BESPA/Yellow Jackets as the bad guy and this seems to really leave Usso shaken.

wIg14AX.png

Usso sees this and jumps into the fray, managing to nearly down another BESPA suit in the process before running to a small League Militaire resistance and being mistaken for the enemy.

This episode also gives us our first introduction to Katejina Loos who, after finding out her father makes a deal to spare their lives, storms out and into the ongoing Zanscare massacre. Here is where she meets a crying Karlmaan whose mother was an unfortunate victim of the bombing. You would think that experiencing something like this would be a red flag for some people and that maybe you should stay away from those guys, but....

Here we skip to Usso waking up in an underground area with Katejina, Karlmann, and a group of other victims looking to take shelter from the bombing. A group of BESPA suits come back to continue the bombing, crushing the underground shelter and killing everyone but, surprisingly, Usso, Katejina, and Karlmann.

After finding an exit through the rubble, they find Usso's suti and make their way back to his home. Meanwhile, Shakit, hearing beam rotors she believes to be Usso's, runs outside and into some patrolling BESPA suits. Usso intercepts the opposing suits and is joined by Marvet and the League Militaire, leading us near to where our introductory episode started.

Now that we're close to being on the right track, on to episode 4.

Dynedom

I never once picked up that Char was into Sayla. You could make more of an argument that it was Sayla who was into Char with all of her "CASVAL-NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISAN" shenanigans in the back half of MSG, but even then it isn't really something I'd point out since it was clearly her worrying for her brother rather than her wanting to boink him.

On AnimeGAF, someone mentioned a debate of "who is more of a Siscon: Lelouche or Char". I mean, it's not even close.

Hmmm...

Char's pretty much the only one who could drive her crazy. She was usually pretty level headed in MSG. Up there alongside Mirai Yashima, the defacto matron and matriarch of the White Base.

Pretty sure that whole Char siscon thing is just a joke.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch
Episode 3

dQg72zr.gif

The lack of shading in most of the animation is really disheartening.

Some art in this episode really reminded me of LoGH and the fact that I should continue watching that.

Katejina being five times the man her father is was pretty funny. I can already see her getting a huge role in whatever ship/base Uso happens to occupy as a diplomat. Sure wish we already had some insight into what makes Cronicle tick as well. So far he's been a pretty boring dude. I felt the same way about Harry Ord initially, but at least Harry had the decency to look funky as fuck. I realize it's a bit early to whine but all I know about Cronicle is that he is kind of a dick and the brother of the spacequeen. And I don't even know who the spacequeen is.

Uso finally got his dream. To hang out in his dear beloved Katejina's lap. That was what gave him the fuel to burn in the upcoming fights.

It was kind of funny how fast Uso recovered from seeing a bloody smushed guy in the rubble.

I hope we're out of memory territory now and can continue on with the main plot.

-------------

On another note, I just had the urge to rewatch the ending to the first Zeta movie. It was still totally radical. Have to watch the other movies as well if they incorporate some of the best animation ever. Seriously. This is some above F91 shit.

iIFSOx7X5bbWO.gif

CorvoSol

I got banned for being a jerk. I'm back.

Gundam Crossbone: 1:6

Hahaha, Haro the parrot is the best Haro. Where Lacus’ Haro was annoying and ruined ostensibly tense scenes with his “hijinks” Haro the parrot is genuine comedy. “DO YOU KNOW CHAR AZNABLE? WAAAK!” “IS THIS THE POWER OF YOUTH? WAAAAK!” Hahahaha. Also, now that I get what the central issue is behind at the very least the rank and file’s motivations for joining the Jupiter Empire, it makes fair sense, but more to the point, it makes me just look down on Gundam AGE even more. I get that AGE wanted to be the FFIX of Gundam and run on homages to past series, but man, finding out that the Vegan are just Martian Successors/Jovian Lizards/The Jovian Empire and that the AGE-2 Dark Hound is basically a blatant rip off of the Crossbone makes me lost even more respect for it.

EDIT: The Crossbone Gundam is so cool, and it is all because of that cape. That cape is some nifty juice, man.

Preeeeeeety sure I'm past the deadline for Sunday in every known timezone, but Evo was just too amazing to pass up - and I'm terrible at multi-tasking.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch
Episode 3

Uso continues to learn hard lessons in warfare, in that indelible method that only Tomino cares to use. Since Shakti's processing all of these past events via flashback, we can assume that Uso told her what went down during Episodes 2 and 3; as we all know it's extraordinarily rare for a Gundam protagonist to talk about things with anyone without being physically coerced, so this is fairly surprising.

Uso heads to a nearby village in an attempt to shepherd Katejina to safety, but comes across some Zolo pilots; he initially tries to lay low and assess the situation (which is smart), but the sight of people being controlled with fear makes him so angry that he charges into town (which is stupid).

This causes the townsfolk to start firing on him on sight, because he's in a freaking enemy mobile suit and he made no attempt to identify himself (which is also stupid, but understandable):

which, in turn, leaves all these townsfolk open for an attack from behind:

(which is just sad.)

The Yellowjackets continue to show that their ranks contain myriad pastels of shit by bombing the hell out of the town on some kind of revenge kick, because one of their buddies got mowed down in the attack and they don't feel like they've blown the town into enough rubble. Uso may not have shot him, but he gets to watch him die anyway.

And at some point, a young child is orphaned and no one gives a damn until they finish gawking at the freak kid in the mobile suit.

Katejina shows a lot of backbone not putting up with her father's shit. She also seems to have a hardline stance against piloting mobile suits, and is visibly distressed that Uso's piloting one.
Bwahahahahaha
Still, she trusts him enough to ride to safety in the Shokew's palm with Karlmaan in tow, which just goes to show that they're on good terms already.

Chronicle heads back to his base to provide handy-dandy exposition alongside his...commander? Subordinate? Not too clear on the pink-haired officer's role just yet.

Marbet and the other League Militaire members show a surprising amount of common sense during the second skirmish in this episode; they figured out that Uso was in the Shokew from the direction it was heading, and actually protected him when he was in danger without doing a hail mary sortie.

Shakti...ya blew it. Odelo and co. are just kind of there to act as sane characters, which is OK.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but people in this show have a tendency to go for kicks and leg strikes in their suits, and it just seems a little foolish. It's a limb that you can barely control, and it can easily be grabbed or torn off by anything with hands. You don't get style points in a skirmish, either, so I don't see the point of it.

After all this excitement, everyone involved gets a small respite.

Next episode seems pretty interesting, based on the preview.

EDIT: The Crossbone Gundam is so cool, and it is all because of that cape. That cape is some nifty juice, man.
It is, it really is. It makes an impressive machine even more imposing, and has a function other than looking cool to boot.

Jubern

You only get Exia Repair for a few stages, then it is permanently replaced by the 00 Gundam. No Exia R2 if I remember correctly.

Aizo

Banned
I've come to join your ranks, Gundam GAF.

I recently purchased a High Grade Banshee. I don't buy models very often, but I really do love that design.

It's Monday, and therefore time for yet another,

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 4 DVD

"Who We Are Fighting For"
"Tatakai wa Dare no Tame ni" (戦いは誰のために)

(No pics today, feeling rather lazy)

This is it. Some story progression occurs in this episode, and we're up to date (sort of).

The LM group prepares for a possible counter attack from the Yellow Jackets, who were beaten back into a hasty retreat due to Usso's and Ms. Marbet's efforts in the previous episode. They're also looking to fix up the Core Fighter, which was damaged in the previous encounter with the YJs

Back at the BESPA base, Asher and his men are apportioning blame on one another for their failure in dealing with the rebels

Shakti's been placed on nursemaid duty since Katejina is all about that single indepedent woman life for now.

Usso and the other LM folk are looking for computer chips that could be used to repair the Core Fighter. He leads them down into his basement, which conveniently houses a MASSIVE set of computer mainframes and data banks, together with some early era MS simulators. This provides a glimpse into the life Usso led with his currently missing parents, and we now understand why he is the way he is.

The group then travels along the gorgeous countryside, and the POV is then switched to that of the YJs, who're on their way back to Kasarelia to avenge their losses.

Asher heads out of his machine, intending to investigate the current situation. He meets up with Shakti and baby Karlmann, and thankfully doesn't do anything stupid with them and shows some much needed restraint.

His colleagues don't. They're already carpet bombing the area with reckless abandon, even as Asher is questioning Shakti. He then tells Shakti to get to safety, whilst doing the same.

The LM fellows (in the Camion) are making a run for it, Woowig being their destination.

Usso then proceeds to do what he does best, he heads into the Shokew he captured from the previous episodes to act as bait to cover the convoy's retreat.

He does reasonably well at first, disabling one Zolo and preventing it from docking but quickly getting outnumbered by his opposition.

(note:- the docking procedure to transform into M.S. for the BESPA units proves to be yet another liability. After the events of Zeta, CCA and F91, many years ago in the UC universe, you'd thought that they would've ditched the concept as it's a terribly flawed concept.)

When everything seems to go wrong, (he runs out of ammo), he gets bailed out, once again by Ms.Marbet.

Worthy of note:- The Top Fighter is also demo'ed for the 1st time in this episode. It gets damaged by Asher at the end of the episode.

The trap from the earlier part of the episode is finally sprung, leading to the direct KIA of one Captain Sabat by Usso. This is his first confirmed enemy kill in the series.

Asher finally takes down the Shokew Usso was piloting, leading right into the events of Episode 1.

A decent ep, but nothing special.

Tomino Kill Count:- 1 (Captain Sabat)

B-

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 4

This episode ends our series of flashbacks and were able to gleam a little bit more information about some of our main characters. Uso, Katejina, and the rest of the younger group have currently joined with the roaming League Militaire. While all of the kids have jobs and are handling things (setting up traps, passing out food), Katejina seems distant, even handing off Karlmann to Shakti. Uso leads the group back to his home for resources and we're shown an underground library/computer bank and mobile suit training system. I assume this is where Uso got his education and familiarity with mobile suits that allowed for his ability to pilot the Shokew so fast.

Meanwhile Asher is essentially getting a scolding back at the BESPA HQ from his fellow soldiers and, looking to redeem himself getting his ass kicked by a kid, sets out to retrieve the Shokew. Upon investigating the area, he runs into Shakti, who shows the ability to think quickly and states that one of the traps that was set was actually a telephone wire. Before Asher can investigate further, his comrades show their scuminess yet again when they began bombing the area.

This leads to another battle between Uso in the Shokew and a few BESPA mobile suits. Uso is shown here to have a far better grasp of handling the suit and with the help of Marvet in the Core Fighter, manages to not only hold his own, but get his first kill (Sabat, Asher's fellow soldier).

DYXcSTH.png

Gupo5ew.png

"There was no explosion. There was no explosion, so what did I hear?"

Uso is clearly shaken by this moment but the person who seems to be most effected is Shakti who senses the sort of changes in a person this sort of event could bring about and fears the worst for Uso.

This is the sort of moment that either quickly strengthens or weakens the resolve of a character and Uso manages to keep his wits about him an escape an attack from Asher, leading us to the beginning of the first episode and ending our flashback.

Is there a general consensus on the best Gundam series?

Lol nope.

Tastes can vary quite heavily, even amongst GundamGAF.

There are however, certain series that are regarded as sacred cows in the fandom and are therefore inviolable and untouchable to a certain extent.

Examples include the Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket OVA, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn. Universally acclaimed and beloved.

Aizo

Banned
Lol nope.

There are however, certain series that are regarded as sacred cows in the fandom and are therefore inviolable and untouchable to a certain extent.

Examples include the Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket OVA, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn. Universally acclaimed and beloved.

This list does not include Zeta? I am honestly surprised.

Even the almighty Zeta has its detractors on GundamGAF.

Especially by those who were disappointed by it as it was overhyped by UC GundamGAF as the best thing since sliced bread.

Opinions vary on Zeta. It's a great series imo, but not completely immune to criticism.

Beth Cyra

Are there many Turn A detractors/mustached robot haters?

Turn A has always had it's detractors. It's a very love/hate series, and in no way is it even close to universally loved.

Those who love it really love it, and those who hate it really hate it. I'm one of the few that find it just Meh.

CorvoSol

Is there a general consensus on the best Gundam series?

Nope. My personal favorites, though, would be ZZ and G. I'd warn you away from AGE and anything past the first season of 00 (although the Gundam designs are cool the whole way through, and I guess that's what ultimately counts.)

I didn't like Zeta as much as ZZ or MSG. I think I need to rewatch it someday in Japanese. The English dub is just really, really bad.

Beth Cyra

I just love seeing a mech with a mustache, I suppose.

The Mech it self is probably my least favorite Lead suit in all of Gundam with maybe Ex-s and AGE-1 Titus being in the running.

That said I did just order the MG, decided it was time to get it out of the way. Plus the MG Wing Gundam Proto Zero made me think about how Wing Zero made a cameo in one of the Turn A works.

Lol nope.

I love CCA, but I've seen tons of hate for it. Most people cite Quess, Char's flip flop from Zeta Gundam, and a few other reasons as why it's not that good

Beth Cyra

I love CCA, but I've seen tons of hate for it. Most people cite Quess, Char's flip flop from Zeta Gundam, and a few other reasons as why it's not that good

Yeah. I've seen a LOT of hate for CCA. On top of these reasons the Psycho Frame and Amuro pushing back Axis comes up alot.

Aizo

Banned
The Mech it self is probably my least favorite Lead suit in all of Gundam with maybe Ex-s and AGE-1 Titus being in the running.

That said I did just order the MG, decided it was time to get it out of the way. Plus the MG Wing Gundam Proto Zero made me think about how Wing Zero made a cameo in one of the Turn A works.

I heard that recently from a someone. I then used MS paint to attach his head to the Turn A, and gave him a mech-mustache.

Beth Cyra

I heard that recently from a someone. I then used MS paint to attach his head to the Turn A, and gave him a mech-mustache.

Haha I see.

Thing is, even if I would have loved the design at first, I would still hate it because of Moonlight Butterfly. There are certain things that are just two powerful and it completely undoes all the myth/world building they do because it removes any and all threats.

Pyscho Frame, Zero System 2.0, OO Q Trans Am, and Destroy Mode are all bad, but then they don't even come close to how stupidly over powered Moonlight Butterfly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom