• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Haha.

I think I'm the only vocal G detractor on the board. Weirdly I like Domon in Dynasty Warriors Gundam. That said Speigel Gundam? Amazing. The rest? Meh.

I think the God, Devil, Master and Dragon Gundams are okay. Others have humorous value, like Mammoth Gundam and Nobel Gundam.

But G's cast is what makes me love it most. Allenby and George are the only real weak links.

Haha.

I think I'm the only vocal G detractor on the board. Weirdly I like Domon in Dynasty Warriors Gundam. That said Speigel Gundam? Amazing. The rest? Meh.

I'm not the biggest fan of G either. I liked it well enough, but I don't think it's anywhere near the best in the franchise like a lot of people make it out to be. Too repetitive in structure.

PhiLonius

Haha.

Not only is it called "Tequila" Gundam, it wears a sombrero and it has a mustache. Only thing that could even possibly make this suit cooler would be a poncho, the south of the border version of a Gundam being caped/cloaked.

c4mjZMa.jpg

Beth Cyra

I think the God, Devil, Master and Dragon Gundams are okay. Others have humorous value, like Mammoth Gundam and Nobel Gundam.

But G's cast is what makes me love it most. Allenby and George are the only real weak links.

Always found God to be supremely disappointing as a follow up to Shinning. I also like Nobell I guess, but that is because it's Sailor Venus with a Sailor Moon color scheme.

Ezalc

I'm not the biggest fan of G either. I liked it well enough, but I don't think it's anywhere near the best in the franchise like a lot of people make it out to be. Too repetitive in structure.

Being honest here I haven't personally seen enough of the entire franchise to call G the best from a somewhat objective standpoint. There's a lot wrong to the series but it's just so much fun and over the top that I can't help but love it and thus it becomes my favorite (at least it is so far). One thing I feel like it does way better than any other Gundam series is the Mobile Trace System piloting method. So good. And Spiegel, Spiegel is amazing.

Yeah, if there is one thing that G Gundam has, it is spirit. It's a very lively show to say the least.

As for the mobile trace system, it's alright. It doesn't quite appeal to my imagination the way a traditional cockpit set up does though.

CorvoSol

Always found God to be supremely disappointing as a follow up to Shinning. I also like Nobell I guess, but that is because it's Sailor Venus with a Sailor Moon color scheme.

I like the God as a sort of precursor to the Wing, though. I know Wing was in the show, but if you look at God, it sort of does look like a pre-Wing design in the same way you can tell that the Dragon is sort of a lead into the Altron/Shenlong Gundams.

Yeah, if there is one thing that G Gundam has, it is spirit. It's a very lively show to say the least.

As for the mobile trace system, it's alright. It doesn't quite appeal to my imagination the way a traditional cockpit set up does though.

It appeals to my imagination. Especially when Rain is gonna pilot.

I can see that. The show does kind of hamfist you through "Sai Saici is dealing with having been infected by DG Cells. Now see George, Chibodee, and Argo do it all in a row!" And that can be wearing. On the other hand, it'd've been worse if the show had done it spaced apart. The Guyana Highlands arc as it relates to the guys isn't the strong part, although once Master Asia shows up, it definitely kicks into high gear.

On the other hand, I think the show did do the "everybody has to fight Domon while juggling personal issues" bit a lot better during the Finals arc. In fact, I'd say that arc does a great job of developing everyone.

Except, I guess, George and Allenby. My problem with George is that his motives boil down to something bland and basic that all fighters are expected to have: fighting for the honor of their nation. None of the others show it as much as him, I guess, but I dunno, it feels so much less personal than Argo, Sai, and Domon's motives. On the other hand, when he
rebels against this to fight for his own desires
I felt that it was a pretty good episode, and saved George from being super bland.

My problem with Allenby is that she isn't Rain so she needs to keep her hussy hands off of Domon. that she is introduced late in the series and immediately inducted into the group without having to go through the stuff the rest of the team did. Rain and Schwarz aren't members of the Shuffle Alliance, for example, but they go through the stuff in Tokyo and Guyana, too. If Allenby had been introduced sooner, I wouldn't have felt she'd just wormed her way into the group without earning her spot on the team.
She'd still be a dirty hussy who needed to keep her paws off of Domon, tho.

Bombless

Just finished Gundam 79 Episode 24.
Fuckers killed Matilda :'( I got a bad feeling when she blew that kiss to Amuro...Curse you Sunrise, CURSE YOUUUU!

CorvoSol

Rain was hotter. But I'm still mad she helped Domon win when he should have lost to Schwarz and his amazingness.

I kinda agree. It would've been better for Domon to learn he flat out couldn't win without her if she'd let him lose.
Plus Rain x Schwarz was kinda cute.

Jubern

Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster 15

Athrun travelled all the way from PLANT to Orb, it took him like 3 episodes, and he doesn't know that the Minerva isn't there nor that Orb signed an alliance with the racists. Even in 2004, it seemed fucking stupid to me. On the other hand, sweet, sweet Saviour action. I always loved that MS.

Then you have the Archangel trying to justify their actions and Cagalli crying some more. BAAAAAAW MY RING.
Fuck them. I was so glad to see the SRW Z cast look down on them and their self-righteous ways.

One thing I had kind of forgotten is how much new MSes ZAFT has in Destiny, and how ugly they mostly look...
Also, the whole FAITH thing is cool at first. But we see how useless it actually is later in the series, so yeah :/ At least it makes Lunamaria completely wet! She wants Athrun's dick really, really hard here.

The overall story is okay at this point, despite how it is pictured through stupid characters like Cagalli. I actually really like where it goes in the second cour, with the whole "large scale war from an actual military unit" angle. It really went to shit because of Orb, the Freedom and the Archangel.

I enjoyed this week's episode more than the previous two, thanks to the almost complete absence of the Archangel crew. Screw them.

Didn't this suit only last a handful of episodes though before Kira fucked it up? It's been a while since I sat through Destiny.

That was like the height of bullshit right there.

Athrun got fucking nerfed in Destiny. Kira took him out in a single maneuver. What the fuck was up with that shiet.

Granted Freedom ver.1 > Saviour in specifications. Still wasn't right, how they pussywhipped him like that.

Wednesday beckons,

(Posted early, since I won't get to go on GAF for most of Wednesday)

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 5 DVD

"Godzorla's Counterattack"
"Gozzōra no Hangeki" (ゴッゾーラの反撃)

The episode is yet another in a set of seemingly aimless back and forths between the LM and the BESPA YJs.

Tired of getting their ass beaten again and again, the BESPA folk bring out the Godzorla, a contraption that's supposed to have an edge over the Gundam.

Y'know what, I'll just cut to the chase. They fight. Victory Vs Godzorla. Usso wins, disabling the Godzorla, at a heavy cost to the Gundam which has to be reconstructed again after this.

He also learns about the morality of war. Or fighting. Or something.

Also, the LM gains it's first P.O.W., Lieutenant Gary Tan.

The B plot:-

While the above is happening, Asher is busy inflitrating the factory. Shakti notices him from afar and knows who he is.

LM dismantles the factory and intends to move it to another location.

Episode ends with a cliffhanger as Usso is about to take on 6(six) Zolos eager to destroy the factory or it's remnants. In a Core Fighter.

Cumulative Tomino Death Count:- 1

B-

Jubern

That was like the height of bullshit right there.

Athrun got fucking nerfed in Destiny. Kira took him out in a single maneuver. What the fuck was up with that shiet.

Granted Freedom ver.1 > Saviour in specifications. Still wasn't right, how they pussywhipped him like that.

But CAGALLI IS CRYING!!
Don't you get it?!

That was indeed complete bullshit. The whole episode made me rage fucking hard at the Archangel crew, especially after they already fucked up episode 23 too. Come. On.

Beckx

Hey Gundam-GAF. I shoulda checked for a thread like this a long time ago.

Longtime Gundam fan since first being exposed to it in the early 90s via Animag summaries of Zeta and (gasp) the laserdisc of Char's Counterattack.

Got a few gaps in what I've seen though, I lost connection with the franchise (showing Wing to my kids & watching Unicorn brought me back) and missed Victory, Turn-A, Seed and 00. I'm particularly curious about the last two. Any good places to watch online or am I stuck trying to locate old DVDs?

CorvoSol

Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster 15

Athrun travelled all the way from PLANT to Orb, it took him like 3 episodes, and he doesn't know that the Minerva isn't there nor that Orb signed an alliance with the racists. Even in 2004, it seemed fucking stupid to me. On the other hand, sweet, sweet Saviour action. I always loved that MS.

Then you have the Archangel trying to justify their actions and Cagalli crying some more. BAAAAAAW MY RING.
Fuck them. I was so glad to see the SRW Z cast look down on them and their self-righteous ways.

One thing I had kind of forgotten is how much new MSes ZAFT has in Destiny, and how ugly they mostly look...
Also, the whole FAITH thing is cool at first. But we see how useless it actually is later in the series, so yeah :/ At least it makes Lunamaria completely wet! She wants Athrun's dick really, really hard here.

The overall story is okay at this point, despite how it is pictured through stupid characters like Cagalli. I actually really like where it goes in the second cour, with the whole "large scale war from an actual military unit" angle. It really went to shit because of Orb, the Freedom and the Archangel.

I enjoyed this week's episode more than the previous two, thanks to the almost complete absence of the Archangel crew. Screw them.

I actually liked the increase in focus on the Archangel crew because by that point Shinn's awful berating of Cagalli for things that made no fucking sense had cost any interest I'd had in anyone on team ZAFT not named Athrun.

But even so, I will admit that the scene where Kira gets to berate Athrun after Athrun has come all this way to talk to him and Kira's defense is "Cagali is crying" pissed me off. I was like, "One lady doesn't really justify all the madness you've caused. Sort your shit out, Kira."

This was the episode where I realized Kira was wrong-proof. Like, Athrun points out all of these reasons Kira SHOULD be wrong, and they bounce right off. Because Kira is Jesus.

I'm still not one of the crazies who thinks
Durandal and Shinn were the heroes at the end of the show, and that Kira and company were villains. Because Athrun opposed Durandal, too, and Athrun is like, the only person in SEED not named Lacus who uses his brain.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 5

We are officially out of the flashback cycle and moving ahead with the story.

This episode manages to touch on two things.
1) The perception of the relationship between Uso and Katejina
2) A current reason for fighting

After escaping from Asher and the BESPA suits, Uso and the rest of the League Militaire get a slight break to eat and catch their breath. On the way to look for Shakti, Uso runs into Katejina. Here his attitude and demeanor change, where he was jovial and lighthearted moments before he is now very rigid and slightly nervous and asks Katejina "How was my piloting?" in a very approval seeking way.

cfSJ16O.png

n7D5k4Z.png

Katejina's response is that of an older sister and comes across in a bit of a condescending tone. I feel that even though he's accomplished a lot in her presence, she still looks at him as not much more than just a child. This line of thinking carries on into a following scene where a reawakened Gary Tan attacks in a new MS and Uso is asked to fight again. Even though there is no one else capable enough to pilot the Victory, Katejina again points that he is just a child. This leads into the second point about a reason to fight.

Uso realizes that he is the best chance of survival for the people closest to him as well as the remnants of the LM. So that currently gives him a reason to continue to pilot the Victory and before sortieing for a second time to battle a group of B MS', he states that he would rather die fighting.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 4

1szuziw.gif

Had a headache after coming back home from Pacific Rim on Monday so I decided to delay watching this episode. Sorry

Episode 5

RWB5Y67.gif

I need a better gif tool

So, what did we learn these two episodes?

First the most important thing - apparently Cronicle is not a human piece of shit. That's good. In 4 he let Shakti off the hook easy and in 5 he even helped the kids out a bit which could have blown his cover. Will be interesting to see how he's related to Shakti plus there seems to be some connection between Katejina and Cronicle as well.

Second - everyone in that base is kind of insane. They seemingly have no qualms about letting a kid pilot their most advanced weapon. No problem about their lives being in the hands of that one kid. Good that Katejina brought that up because it made me realize that I've always disliked it when everyone is standing in the way of a young ace pilot but here it's even worse - no one has any fucking opposition about Uso being out there in the war. I need to explicitly hear that there's not a single able-bodied and able-minded pilot in that base aside from Marbet. This is just a bit too crazy.

ZetaEpyon

I've recently been watching through Victory for the first time myself with some friends. The thing that constantly strikes me is how bad it looks (when it shifts to the ending, holy hell is it jarring). What the hell happened, Sunrise??

Also, get more than 3 tracks for the OST, please.

I've recently been watching through Victory for the first time myself with some friends. The thing that constantly strikes me is how bad it looks. What the hell happened, Sunrise??

Also, get more than 3 tracks for the OST, please.

Per episode budget was heavily restricted since they planned out 51 episodes and UC Gundam was on the way out (at that time), to make way for alternate realities and timelines. (G Gundam would come out the following year in 1994)

It's still hard to believe that we'd only see something tangible again from that universe in the form of a miniseries 3 years after that (MS 08th Team), and the next time it'd ever be muttered again was 14 years later in the form of Unicorn (2010).

A whole generation missed out on the wonders of UC Gundam and were raised on Wing Gundam and other arguably lesser variants instead. With the exception of G Gundam of course, which is beyond reproach in my book.

The lack of shading is a really, really huge deal for me. Makes it look so cheap.

At least there's still occasionally some shading and the backgrounds look good.

ZetaEpyon

It probably doesn't help my impression that I just kind of find the series sort of dumb overall. I don't like most of the suit designs (helicopters?? really??), don't care about most of the characters, and so on.

But yeah, to me it generally just looks like a cheap early 90s cartoon that I would have watched here in the US back in the day. Which I guess makes sense.

I thought the characters and environments looked pretty good, personally. I'll agree that most of the BESPA suits looked pretty odd though, and felt like they were running out of ideas for mobile suits.

The V and V2 were pretty swell though

Ha, looks like I'm not the only one that missed a day for the re-watch. If only I were as prudent as ambientmystic. Ah well.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Re-Watch
Episode 4

All of the kids are slowly becoming more and more involved in the League Militaire's efforts to get the Victory Gundam operational and out of Kassarelia. As Shakti watches the others run groundwork, she muses about how much Uso's changed. She's only just met Katejina, too, and she can't help but notice that Kate has a dislike of babies - which is clearly why she stepped up to take care of Karlman. Kids raising kids, what kind of future will our descendents be living in?
Uso's exuberance for helping the League Militaire - setting booby traps and being super jazzed about the Victory Gundam - isn't exactly helping his image, either. But they're grounded until repairs can be made to the titular suit, so he's really just making the most of a bad situation.

Meanwhile, at the enemy's base, Sabat clues his comrades in on the Core Fighter's location, and vows to get revenge for the illustrious warrior Gary; he ends up leading Fuala, Dupre and our favorite ski-mask enthusiast on one more mission to retrieve that dagnabbed Shokew.

Nyung still needs some spare parts for the Core Fighter's repairs, so Uso volunteers to take him home, where he's got a veritable motherlode of electronics to use for spare parts. Computer banks, training sims for mobile suits, and enough power to power everything, even if it's all a bit outdated and buggy. If it wasn't clear enough before that Uso was practically made to pilot a suit, it is now.

Xi3u28S.jpg

Uso Ewin: Continuing the long standing tradition of training pilots via custom video game cabinets.

Sabat and co. manage to narrow down the amount of territory that the League's base could be in, so Marbet sorties in the Core Fighter to run interference (again) before they can find and destroy the transport. That said, she ends up tipping her group's hand just to avoid being fried to death, so it's a Pyrrhic victory.

Uso jumps into the thick of things yet again, but even booby traps and VR training can only get you so far against a familiar enemy; Uso lands a killing blow against Sabat, but Chronicle forces Uso to bail out in another jarringly comical moment.

iz0vyPkCDFN8P.gif

Flashforward to the present, and Uso's practically a full member of the League, much to Shakti's dismay. She can't help but notice that he's becoming fixated on the Victory Gundam; I can't help but be happy that we're finally back to the present.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Re-Watch
Episode 5

Second - everyone in that base is kind of insane. They seemingly have no qualms about letting a kid pilot their most advanced weapon. No problem about their lives being in the hands of that one kid. Good that Katejina brought that up because it made me realize that I've always disliked it when everyone is standing in the way of a young ace pilot but here it's even worse - no one has any fucking opposition about Uso being out there in the war. I need to explicitly hear that there's not a single able-bodied and able-minded pilot in that base aside from Marbet. This is just a bit too crazy.

It was pretty refreshing knowing that someone knew that it was messed up to make a kid take point in combat, no matter how well-trained they were - and for that person to say it out loud instead of monologuing to herself about it.

Still, pretty much everyone knows that he's their best chance at survival now that Marbet's injured; Everyone except Marbet in that base is old as sin, there's no way they could handle being jostled around in the Core Fighter. No point in giving the kid extra stress about it. Besides, with the way that the Feds commandeered kids during the One Year War and the First Neo Zeon War, there's a good chance that every single person left over in the League was a teen when they were forcibly enlisted somehow; that would explain why're they're so gung-ho about everything.

It was also nice to see Chronicle show some initiative this episode. He was as sensible as last episode, and surprisingly competent as well - seems like he's a lot more productive when he's not wearing that mask of his. Maybe it cuts off his air-flow or something.

Gary doesn't come off so hot in comparison; he finally gets to show what he's all about this episode, and he ends up blowing it. I have to admit, I'm more than a little disappointed that the man doesn't live up to the myth.

The lack of shading is a really, really huge deal for me. Makes it look so cheap.

At least there's still occasionally some shading and the backgrounds look good.

I've got to agree. Still, there are some moments that make up for that, I think. I'm not a fan of some of the mobile suits, either - they just seem so disjointed between form and function. Victory's just weird to me right now, and I'm just hoping that this is part of a rough patch in the series.

CorvoSol

Been reading more Crossbone Gundam, and I gotta say, while F91 Seabook and Cecily weren't bad, just underdeveloped due to the fact the fact that the series got smooshed into a movie, Crossbone Seabook and Cecily have become pretty cool folks.

Ezalc

Been reading more Crossbone Gundam, and I gotta say, while F91 Seabook and Cecily weren't bad, just underdeveloped due to the fact the fact that the series got smooshed into a series, Crossbone Seabook and Cecily have become pretty cool folks.

Into a movie. And yeah they're pretty cool man.

Beth Cyra

I actually sold my PS2 collection, and since I got a fair chunk of change out of it I went and picked up some more Gunpla kits.

Grabbed

Victory MG Ver Ka (I know it has a bad rap, but it was all the way down at 38 for the 30th Ann. and I didn't bother with V Dash pack as I find it ugly.)

RG Gundam MK II Titans Color
RG Justice Gundam
BB Hi Nu Gundam

Then on top of those I have Wing Gundam MG and Turn A MG also coming in the mail. Not to mention I went ahead and preordered the HGAC Wing, HGFC DX, and HGUC Victory. So between Wing Gundam Proto Zero and Banshee Ver Ka, I think my I have more then enough Gunpla to hold me over for the rest of the year.

CorvoSol

Gundam Crossbone 3:2

Important character development for Berah Ronah is always, without exception, conducted entirely in the nude. Meanwhile Zabine stabs everyone in the back and NO ONE is surprised. In a game of Prisoner's Dilemma, Zabine chooses "Betray" before the round has even begun.

Meanwhile, Tobia manages to plant explosives all over the entire ship and nobody notices. I'd call this unreasonable, except that people do tend to overlook what kids do, especially when they're busy fomenting rebellion and plotting mutiny.

My favorite character, aside from Haro, is the old guy who insists he's a New Type because he fought in the One Year War. He reminds me of the Old Warriors from Final Fantasy III.

Jubern

Wait until you read the old guy backstory in the Skull Heart volume. You're not ready for that :p

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying Crossbone so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom