• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the Gundam Mk 2? It's not usually refered to by its number like that, had to look it up.

Or do you mean the RX-78? If that's what you mean, I hear there is a pretty good one in Odaiba.

Beth Cyra

Just saw Unicorn - 03 Phoenix, got to say I find it to be one of the ugliest things ever, and easily the worst thing to come out of Unicorn including all the MSV.

That said, am kinda hoping Gentei Kits grabs a few, it would be a good way to get a few extra Armed DE's with out having to buy multiples of Banshee Norn.

Just saw Unicorn - 03 Phoenix, got to say I find it to be one of the ugliest things ever, and easily the worst thing to come out of Unicorn including all the MSV.

That said, am kinda hoping Gentei Kits grabs a few, it would be a good way to get a few extra Armed DE's with out having to buy multiples of Banshee Norn.

Just looked up the Phoenix since I've never heard of it.

Whoa. Thank god it's not canon.

Jubern

From the Cosplay thread lololol

9268882320_b333b7ecfc_c.jpg

Hope y'all are having a Lazy Sunday. I decided to get this outta the way before I forgot about it.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 6 DVD

A Fighter's Radiance
Senshi no Kagayaki (戦士のかがやき)

This episode mainly resolves the previous episode's cliffhanger and shifts the entire dynamic of the show in a few different ways.

Usso faces off against 3 Zolos in the Core Fighter. The writers are really pitting him against increasingly incredible odds with each passing episode.

He is heavily outgunned, but fortunately receives cover fire from the members of the convoy, who take heavy losses in the process. He gets to form the Top Fighter, but fails to get into MS mode when the Boots are taken out.

(ED Note:- They really just need to keep him in MS mode. Seriously. So much time and effort wasted on the transformations, and given that they're about to be attacked at any moment, they shouldn't have dismantled the V Gundam at all)

By the way, I think this is first episode that they've actually demonstrated the V Gundam's Beam Shielding tech it inherited from the F91 series:-

iUTEhs0YLbOiq.png

Also, Usso, in boss mode, takes out one Zolo with only half a Gundam mode:-

ib0BSbxOP4vdQs.png

He's reached the zone, and none of the Zolos can touch him in Top Fighter mode. He's busy disabling them piece by piece, spontaneously transforming back and forth between half V Gundam mode and Top Fighter mode, instilling fear amongst the ZE pilots

They lose their cool, and start infighting, and Wattary takes out one of their own:-

ihZvEDlJUo94D.png

The resistance finally gets to launch the much needed boots after Asher does his deed (details in the B Plot). And he forms the V Gundam again.

Killing Time!

An allusion is made to the 'legend' of the Gundam as a symbol of resistance throughout the UC timeline.

Just when you think you've got the edge on the Gundam by stabbing it in the back, you discover that it has automated rear end beam shielding to protect it from beam sabers. LOL. Also, that 360 degree head rotation. Vulcans in yo' face! I audibly laughed out loud at that moment.

i2LAdXN17Syki.png
ib1I8FBl06Urab.png

They flee the scene soon after, and Usso joins the others in B plot below.

B Plot:-

Asher, still in disguise, is doing his best to gather as much intel on the LM as he can.

Shakti laments that the battle has taken Usso away from her.

Asher finally does something competent and takes out the LM's leader, "The Count" by shooting him in the shoulder, shocking the others who're present. This is his second encounter with Katejina.

He proceeds to take them both hostage, using Katejina as his getaway driver. They get into small talk, and Asher is actually a rather polite and accomodating captor, who dresses the wounds he inflicted on the Count.

Usso rejoins the others and discovers the fate of the captives. The news sends him into rage and Odello doesn't really help either, insinuating that Usso "failed" in his efforts.

Shakti, ever the emotional core of the series, decides that it's best for her to take Karlmann the baby, and bail out to Kasarelia, before she gets further sucked in.

Meanwhile, Asher's reunited with his ZE buddies who prove to be less than honorable with captives as he is. He actually gets Katajina to speak in his favour. She's already fallen for him. Hard.

Wattary promptly executes yet another of his subordinates for being a dick to Asher, who's the queen's brother. The ZE don't play around. Even with their own people.

We now move back to Usso, and he's mounting a solo search and rescue mission to get back Katejina and the Count. He finds one of the Zolos shot down earlier on.

It's a trap.

ibbrqsZz4AEJyA.png

Gundam is tougher than expected. That however was just stage 1.

Stage 2 is Wattary's Zolo taking out the V Gundam by emerging from the ground.

You know how this ends right?

ibkIHfheC6GJge.png

Wattary does a great job facing the Gundam head on, taking out it's pieces one at a time.

All seems lost for Usso. He's about to meet his maker. Until.

illaC2PBm0u8t.png

He doesn't let Wattary escape either. They finally meet face to face outside their machines. Wattary couldn't believe that he laid his life on the line and whacked off his two subordinates because of a kid like Usso. A kid who should be carefree and fooling around. He actually sheds man-tears for Usso and, unable to deal with the grim reality of the whole situation, commits suicide by blowing up his Zolo in close proximity.

The episode ends on a very somber note.

This is a pivotal episode in a few ways, and sets the stage for what's to come nicely. It's also one of the bleakest episodes yet.

A certain Katejina Loos will undergo arguably one of the most insane personality transformations over the course of any UC Gundam series by a character not named Ensign Reccoa starting from this episode itself.

Cumulative Tomino Death Count:- 4 (+3 onscreen deaths this episode)

(No survivors from the ZE group sent to take out Usso this episode.)

B

CorvoSol

You know, I don't like Shinn Asuka at all and I was definitely #TeamAthrun the whole way through Destiny, but after looking at some screen shots for SRW OE, I gotta say: Destiny Gundam's little red "tear" cuts in its mask just below the eyes are super fly. Terrible as Hirai's faces are, the lead Gundams in the SEED verse are pretty cool.

CorvoSol

Crossbone Gundam 3:4

So these Jovians think they can stop the Crossbone Gundam because it doesn't have any arms left. What they don't realize is that Kincaido has watched G Gundam and knows that Gundams without their arms aren't less awesome. Dude is about to deliver a Shin Ryuusei Kouchuken to their skulls. Got that green ribbon/butterfly wings ready, too.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 6

ib0wLaaiUczneR.gif

Quite a good episode. A lot of stuff happened.

They really want to make it clear that Shakti does not want to hang out near battles. Uso should hang out with her some more instead of dreaming about older women. Well, at least it looks like Uso learns his lesson soon enough.

Alright, I previously said that I need to see how undermanned and underskilled everyone is. These are some cool guerilla tactics but quite ineffective. They could at least organize this stuff a bit better. Provide some competent cover fire for when you send out the V's boots. Don't flutter around like idiots.

Yeah, the guy is probably right. Uso is however the only one who seemingly gets anything done in there at all, in regards to actually fighting things.

So, what does it take to be a Yellow Jacket grunt?
  • Be pathetic in battle
  • Endanger your comrades by trying to stay alive
  • Kill your comrade who is pathetically trying to stay alive
  • Be a creepy rapey guy
  • Imply that the queen's brother is a creepy rapey guy to his face
  • Get shot by your squad leader for being a creepy rapey guy

Uso needs to become a better pilot soon. The only reason he is still among the living is the fact that his Gundam is pretty rad. The final guy had three chances to kill him.

Now, Uso, be a man and go get Shakti back.

Right, now I can post the following for later today.

(No pics today, it's Monday and i'm lazy.)

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 7 DVD

"The Sound of the Guillotine"
"Girochin no Oto" (ギロチンの音)

The title itself is quite ominous. This is an episode that will showcase another aspect to the cruelty of the Zanscare Empire, the dreaded Guillotine.

More about that later.

Highlights of the episode include:-

Usso and his 3 immigrant pals leave the convoy and head back to Kassarelia to look for Shakti and Karlmann (whom you may recall left in the previous episode). They meet up eventually, but are intercepted by the ZE Gattarl team sent to look for the convoy, who leave them alone thinking they're innocent children.

While this is going on, Asher and his captives are recovered by the ZE Mobile Armor (the one which was spying on the Godzorla affair 2 episodes back) and it does not look good at all for the Count. He's about to be tortured by Fualla, the commander of the base.

The Gattarl team eventually discover the convoy and Ms Marbet is forced to take em on, injured, yet again in the Core Fighter. She does well, but is overwhelmed and crash lands. Usso takes over (after rejoining the group again), and makes mince meat out of the remaining suits.

Shit is about to get real though, as fresh ZE reinforcements drop down from space. All 12 of them. Usso had already formed the V Gundam at this point, so he fends them off anyway, letting them retreat (lol).

He's chastised for being too soft on them after the fight is over. And then the show goes into grimdark territory again.

The Count gets... well.. read the episode title again.

He is the first notable named LM fatality since the series begun.

Cumulative Tomino Death Count:- 5 (+1 onscreen death(s) this episode)

(You shall be missed, Count.)

B+

Aizo

Banned
I asked before if there was a general consensus on the greatest Gundam, and it's understandable that there isn't. Is there a general consensus on the worst Gundam, though?

AGE at least had the G-Exes and Darkhound, but yeah most of the designs were pretty awful. I do appreciate that the UE designs weren't Zeon rip offs, but they were still pretty unappealing.

KiraFA37

Definitely Destiny, it just turned into a cluster fuck in the end, the characters, the story, the overal flow of the show, just everything. I do like the alliance mobile suits though except those zamzahbla, insect looking mobile armors. I haven't watched AGE but I heard it had potential and then decided to throw it all out the window. What I do have read about sounded good on paper until the Kio Arc.

Aizo

Banned
I don't think AGE is that bad. It's average. It just has some really serious pacing issues since they tried to do three generations. Makes a lot of disconnect between each generation and unfinished plots for characters in previous crews. I didn't really care about any of the characters.

AGE at least had the G-Exes and Darkhound, but yeah most of the designs were pretty awful.
I agree. I just love pirates.
3rd_ms_b_0044.gif

I honestly liked the Ghirarga, too. Don't hurt me.

I haven't seen a single design from AGE that would evoke any sort of interest in me. They all look like they had the bare minimum amount of effort put into them after someone gave the order to design a new Gundam. So bland.

I would say AGE but that's only from what I've heard and how it manages to not attract me at all despite being Gundam.

From what I've seen myself, I'll say Destiny. I was frothing at the mouth after ten episodes and I sincerely would have preferred to watch graphite rot had I known how terrible it was.

00 can be called the worst Gundam over my dead body.

CorvoSol

I haven't seen a single design from AGE that would evoke any sort of interest in me. They all look like they had the bare minimum amount of effort put into them after someone gave the order to design a new Gundam. So bland.

I would say AGE but that's only from what I've heard and how it manages to not attract me at all despite being Gundam.

From what I've seen myself, I'll say Destiny. I was frothing at the mouth after ten episodes and I sincerely would have preferred to watch graphite rot had I known how terrible it was.

00 can be called the worst Gundam over my dead body.

My problem with 00 largely begins with S2 and the movie. S1 was coherent enough, and had good designs, but a lot of S2 is just really bad. The other problem I'd cite is the cast's size. There are far too many characters and not enough development for the protagonists. That and the comic book death and replacement hijinks.

Again, most of that is S2 on. S1 wasn't what had me hate the show.

Beth Cyra

Out of the animated series, it would easily be between Destiny and AGE as far as most common answers go.

If you include spin offs then Hathaway's Flash would be cited alot too.

For me personally? It would be Destiny, nothing is good about it in my mind. No good MS, no good characters (they Ruin but Athrun and Lacus), and shitty retcons to SEED.

AGE has Arc 2, Zeheart, Woolf, G-Bouncer and AGE 3 Normal Line art. So it did have somethings I actually like. Granted arc 1/3 are pure garbage, still I got more out of it then I did Destiny or OO.

Gunpla stuff: My lining pen died, so I went a head and ordered a couple black and grey Real Touch Markers. Also grabbed a Zaku II OYW Version because it feels weird to order from HLJ and not get a model kit.

Anyone going to grab the Turn A reissues? They haven't done a run of them in a long time, so I went a head and grabbed Turn A, Gold Sumo, Sumo, and Turn X in 1/144.

I agree. I just love pirates.

I honestly liked the Ghirarga, too. Don't hurt me.

The Ghiraga's interesting, but I'll never get what those downward-pointing frills are on the side of its head. It reminds me of Kaneko's Devil Trigger design in Devil May Cry 3, and embarrassingly enough, I don't know what that's based on either.

Some of the enemy suits from AGE interest me, but from the moment AGE was announced and Level 5's involvement was revealed, I got the impression that the show was just a very long advertisement for the PSP game that was announced around the same time. Obviously, that was not the case - but I can't shake that initial assumption long enough to even hazard watching past where I dropped the show (near the end of episode 5).

Jubern

For me it would be Destiny, followed by AGE.

Destiny because it was a fucking clusterfuck that broke my heart (I'm a SEED baby, still love this series to this day). Ironically, while I still dislike the series quite a lot (and the HD Remaster isn't doing much to change my mind), it's one of the Gundam series I'm always happy to see pop up in SRW. I like some of the designs like Saviour and Destiny, but there's a lot or garbage (most ZAFT grunts, Chaos, Abyss...)

AGE, because of a very bland start and a terrible second half that was unable to capitalize on a pretty solid second cour and instead chose to drown in its own shit.
Terrible designs all around too, save for a few.

My problem with 00 largely begins with S2 and the movie. S1 was coherent enough, and had good designs, but a lot of S2 is just really bad. The other problem I'd cite is the cast's size. There are far too many characters and not enough development for the protagonists. That and the comic book death and replacement hijinks.

Again, most of that is S2 on. S1 wasn't what had me hate the show.

Wait this is rather confusing. Are you confusing your dislike for the Gundam 00 seasons with the designs of Gundam 00 gundams?

fertygo

Just rewatching 00 S1 too.. man the concept of political sequences by CB act was really great, some legit good stuff there.. shame frigging Sunrise want the staff just revert to basic mecha stuff for S2 ugh.. just thinking AGE have freedom for 50 eps over what 00 got make me sick.

PhiLonius

A lot went down these two episodes. No pics today

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 6

Uso manages to hold his own against three Zanscare suits (including double drop-kicking one!), first in just the Core Fighter and then in the Victory. Zanscare yet again shows it's scumminess when the leaders of the three suits sacrifices one of his own. The two remaining suits escape for now.

Asher reveals himself as a spy and takes Hakshaku, leader of this group of the League Militaire, and Katejina prisoner and during the escape runs into the two Zanscare pilots. The leader of the two again kills a subordinate who starts acting like a creep to Katejina. Then the leaders spews something about honor and pride before going to to find the Victory.

After the initial battle Shakti leaves to avoid the fighting/danger, which ironically finds Uso when he goes looking for her. The leader of the Zanscare crew is back to regain his honor/pride but as is the case with these things, is ultimately defeated when Uso throws his beam saber at the lunging suit. But this was Uso's toughest battle yet and the Victory was heavily damaged in the process.

Episode 7

Uso decides to abandon the Victory and fighting all together to return to Kassarelia and be with Shakti and a kid that isn't his. Odolo and his clique chase after him. In the meantime Zanscare ground forces have landed on Earth in, for some reason, large motorcycle-like vehicles and are looking for the League Militaire Camion.

Uso and Odolo come across the ground forces and act as if they are transporting a faking-sick Warren to a doctor. The ground forces then come across the Camion and attack. Marvet, showing off her amazing piloting skills, manages to last all of 55 seconds before crash landing the Core Fighter. Uso then has to come in and save their asses yet again and takes down 3 of the motorcycles. Before he can get rid of the rest, Zanscare backup arrives. Uso again manages to take down a few more suits before they ultimately retreat. After these skirmishes we're shown Hakshalu, who has been tortured Clockwork Orange style, taking a trip to the dreaded Zanscare Guillotine, which is exactly what it sounds like.

While all this is happening, Katejina is serving Asher tea.

CorvoSol

Wait this is rather confusing. Are you confusing your dislike for the Gundam 00 seasons with the designs of Gundam 00 gundams?

What? No. 00 had pretty good Gundam designs. I think S1's were better than S2's but the only S2 Gundam I really didn't like was that one Tieria had with the big ol' face on the back. And even that, combined with some of the lamer mook designs in the 2nd season doesn't really factor into my dislike for the show.

AGE is the one I think had shit mech designs. That show maybe had 2 good designs tops. Everything else was terrible.

PhiLonius

Just rewatching 00 S1 too.. man the concept of political sequences by CB act was really great, some legit good stuff there.. shame frigging Sunrise want the staff just revert to basic mecha stuff for S2 ugh.. just thinking AGE have freedom for 50 eps over what 00 got make me sick.

I felt the show was really great up till around the time the Thrones show up. Somewhere around there S1 started to go downhill, and S2 is mostly a blur for me but I remember not liking it while I was watching it. Still haven't seen the movie.

CorvoSol

I felt the show was really great up till around the time the Thrones show up. Somewhere around there S1 started to go downhill, and S2 is mostly a blur for me but I remember not liking it while I was watching it. Still haven't seen the movie.

Yeah, the introduction of the Thrones is probably where I first started getting annoyed. Mostly Nena, I think. I really, really hated Nena Trinity. And then in the movie
there's a girl who is basically Nena Trinity anyway
and that just made things worse. That said, if the show had ended with
Lockon killing Ali after Setsuna had offed what's his name and they'd successfully unified the world, I think I could've been fine.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 7

Y2ptxhT.gif

So, Uso's had enough of this shit and goes off to get Shakti back. Sure enough, the space nazis show themselves again and Uso knows he has to go back to his Gundam because if he doesn't then every incompetent nincompoop transporting that thing is going to die.

We get this crazy biker gang led by a dude who likes to snoop on kids and scare the living hell out of them. K-mann nearly peed himself and Shakti still can't catch a damn break.

So, when do we find out that Uso is a newtype?

Bright, help me out here.

Thanks, Bright!

Sure, be condescending to the only capable pilot you have. Go try and piss off the only reason you're still alive, see what happens.
Uso brushes it off though because there's more important events to attend. Like watching the broadcast of the count getting guillotined. Also, the scene of count's interrogation was like from an entirely different anime. All that shading, man!

What? No. 00 had pretty good Gundam designs.
Hell yeah! I'm holding out for a new Exia MG or RG. I don't think what's out right now does the design justice.
Arios, Kyrios, Dynames were great as well. And I liked the Flags and Tierens too. Had a great contrast between the designs.

Oh and another thing I liked about 00 which I always forget to mention. It ended three times. The S1 ending is beautiful and to me felt conclusive at the time. Didn't really feel the need to even go to S2 aside from the fact that I wanted more of what I had just seen. Season 2 ending had even more finality to it. And then with the movie we got hippie Qant.

Yeah, the introduction of the Thrones is probably where I first started getting annoyed. Mostly Nena, I think. I really, really hated Nena Trinity. And then in the movie
there's a girl who is basically Nena Trinity anyway
and that just made things worse. That said, if the show had ended with
Lockon killing Ali after Setsuna had offed what's his name and they'd successfully unified the world, I think I could've been fine.

I think Quess Paraya is the original Nena Trinity lol. Universally reviled and hated by the fanbase.

CorvoSol

Hell yeah! I'm holding out for a new Exia MG or RG. I don't think what's out right now does the design justice.
Arios, Kyrios, Dynames were great as well. And I liked the Flags and Tierens too. Had a great contrast between the designs.

Oh and another thing I liked about 00 which I always forget to mention. It ended three times. The S1 ending is beautiful and to me felt conclusive at the time. Didn't really feel the need to even go to S2 aside from the fact that I wanted more of what I had just seen. Season 2 ending had even more finality to it. And then with the movie we got hippie Qant.

I like the way the heads are shaped on the Gundams in 00, and the Solar Drive is kinda spiffy. People always give crap to Lacus/Meer for their Pink Zakus (and probably deservedly to Cagali for her Pink Gundam) but I never minded Soma's Pink Tieren because I dunno. When I first saw Soma I was worried, 'cuz she coulda gone one of two routes for me: Zeheart or Woolf. I think she went the latter. Soma was one of the few characters in 00 I really liked. Her arc with Sergei Smirnov was pretty well done, I felt, and her relationship with
Alleluia
was probably the thing I liked in S2. That said the
Marie
stuff was kinda disappointing for the same reason that the
Hallelujah
stuff was. I feel like Soma and Alleluia were decent characters on their own and that the
split personalities
detracted from that.

That said my favorite designs for 00 are probably the Dynames, Kyrios and Virtue/Nadleh. Dynames because I like Sniper Mechs, Kyrios because I dunno, an orange Gundam stands out nicely, and Virtue/Nadleh because I had a model of the Virtue years before I saw the show and the Nadleh reveal was legit.

I think Quess Paraya is the original Nena Trinity lol. Universally reviled and hated by the fanbase.

OH GOD QUESS. FUUUUUUUUCK QUESS. I hate a LOT of characters from a LOT of Gundam shows, but I'm pretty sure that Quess is THE worst woman in all of Gundam. I can't be certain, I haven't finished UC or watched Turn A or X, but QUESS. Quess was awful and nonsensical and like, 1/2 the reason I didn't really like CCA.

All the women in Turn A are awesome, except for maybe Poe (who I still find hilarious). You'll probably hate Sochie for some reason though, Corvo.

Doubling up again!

Episode 6

So, this was the episode with the infamous grenade suicide. The scene was a lot more muted than I had been led to believe. I'm noticing a trend with this show - all the stuff that people hype up about it tends to be a bit exaggerated. I blame Super Robot Wars, just because.

If there's one thing that Wattary and his subordinates drove home, it's that every member of the Yellowjackets has fallen into some sort of futuristic, pseudo-feudal knight mentality. And for every one Yellowjacket that somehow embodies all the chivalric, romantic qualities of knights, (like Chronicle, who straight-up saved a damsel in distress this episode, natch), or every other soldier that embodies the cutthroat, inglorious methods of the crusaders (Wattary) there's way more crazy, power-tripping brutes who throws his weight around, abuses anyone weaker than themselves and define others strictly by their ability or inability to fight in a war (a description that fits pretty much every other Yellowjacket we've seen so far.)

But it doesn't take a man to ride a horse, and it doesn't take one to pilot a suit, as Marbet and Uso have repeatedly shown. Wattary learned this the hard way, and the sight of children fighting in wars had a sobering effect on him. Too bad he couldn't handle it.

In contrast, the League Militaire is waaaay too eager to send anyone under the age of 50 off to fight for them. They made the attempt to feign sympathy because Katejina called them out on it, but apparently now that she and the Count have been abducted, sympathy can go to blazes. I'm still going with my "they're all former kid crew members" theory. There's an obvious sense of character conflict going on with every faction, and because of that this feels like the first proper episode that doesn't deal with world building; it feels like a Tomino show now, if that makes any sense.

Episode 7

There's a lot to take in this episode. Clearly, this was one of the episodes that the staff saved a chunk of the budget for, and it shows. There were some very well-crafted scenes, and the final scene was heavy.

Unfortunately, seeing all those tank-like bikes gave me an overwhelming urge to watch Megazone 23, and now I can't remember any details. Ah well.

Doubling up again!

Episode 6

So, this was the episode with the infamous grenade suicide. The scene was a lot more muted than I had been led to believe. I'm noticing a trend with this show - all the stuff that people hype up about it tends to be a bit exaggerated. I blame Super Robot Wars, just because.

Pretty much. Everyone talks about how dark it is, but outside of it's high death count and certain scenarios, it's very mellow and dreamlike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom