• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

You have seen the whole show, though. I haven't seen more'n 20 episodes. So fatr Uso is a dork, but I didn't care much for Kamille, Judau or Seabook initially, either.

Maybe he'll grow on you, but his character doesn't really change that much from beginning to end. You'll just see him go through some serious shit and watch him freak out and then deal with the problems. Like Shakti, if you don't like him now you probably won't care for him much by the end either.

CorvoSol

Maybe he'll grow on you, but his character doesn't really change that much from beginning to end. You'll just see him go through some serious shit and watch him freak out and then deal with the problems. Like Shakti, if you don't like him now you probably won't care for him much by the end either.

Well, I mean, I don't out and out hate, Uso, either, though. I've hated some Gundam protagonists in my day, and he doesn't even draw near to their levels. And since I keep getting vibes of AGE in this show, as long as Uso doesn't go full Flit, I'll be okay.

Shakti though, I can't deal with Shakti. Not after that incident with the trees or whatever. That was too stupid. I know I'm gonna hate Shakti, and unlike, say, Fa, Shakti's not going to have a second season to soften my opinion of her. The question for me is if Katejina can be rescued from the trash heap.

My greatest fear, though, is that Marbet will suffer the same fate as Ensign Reccoa. 'Cuz I liked Reccoa a lot when she was introduced and the longer Zeta went on, the more I hated what had been done to her character. The only good thing that came of Reccoa in Zeta was
Emma's amazing shut down of the woman.

God, Lt. Emma is so awesome. Why can't more women in Gundam be as good as her?

To be fair, Emma is the best female character in the franchise. Don't worry about Marbet though. She's much more Emma than she is Reccoa, without giving away spoilers

Titans Uniform Emma is the best Emma:

Emma.Sheen.239482.jpg

I finished Turn A Gundam. Definitely an upbeat series. The middle part of the series was the best to me. Anyways, what do I watch next? I'm more of UC fan after watching 0080 and 08th MS team. I might hop onto Stardust Memory, but I hear ... bad things.

What shows have you watched already? Might as well watch 0083 since it's only like 12 episodes long. Sure it's not the best Gundam show, but there is SOME neat stuff in there. The opening intros are cool

What shows have you watched already? Might as well watch 0083 since it's only like 12 episodes long. Sure it's not the best Gundam show, but there is SOME neat stuff in there. The opening intros are cool

Wing, Endless Waltz, Turn A, War in the Pocket, 08th MS, Seed, Seed Destiny (I don't know why I watched this).

Seed Destiny (I don't know why I watched this).

I don't know why I did either...

Anyway, I DON'T recommend watching 0083 yet. The ending is much more alarming if you watch Z Gundam first.

I wouldn't watch Z yet either though. You said you liked UC more after watching 0080 and 08th MS Team. Why not start UC from the beginning? Watch First Gundam, either movie trilogy or series. I personally prefer the series, but I could see why some prefer the movies. Even if you do watch the series, I recommend giving Encounters in Space a try afterwards. the first movie and Soldiers of Sorrow don't really add anything to the story. Encounters in Space has some pretty significant new sequences added to it

I don't know why I did either...

Anyway, I DON'T recommend watching 0083 yet. The ending is much more alarming if you watch Z Gundam first.

I wouldn't watch Z yet either though. You said you liked UC more after watching 0080 and 08th MS Team. Why not start UC from the beginning? Watch First Gundam, either movie trilogy or series. I personally prefer the series, but I could see why some prefer the movies. Even if you do watch the series, I recommend giving Encounters in Space a try afterwards. the first movie and Soldiers of Sorrow don't really add anything to the story. Encounters in Space has some pretty significant new sequences added to it

I'll check out the trilogy. Thanks!

CorvoSol

To be fair, Emma is the best female character in the franchise. Don't worry about Marbet though. She's much more Emma than she is Reccoa, without giving away spoilers

Titans Uniform Emma is the best Emma:

Emma.Sheen.239482.jpg

Emma is definitely the best Gundam girl. I like some others a lot, too, like Roux, Haman, Rain and so on, but Emma is best.

Turn A Gundam 32

So I dare say it looks like I was not wholly wrong about this Guin Rhineford guy. Dude lost all power at one point, and via sheer charisma and also constant fucking of Lily Borjano, has made his way to where he sits in a space warship and can look into the faces of men who at one point in the show flat out rejected his command and tell them that he will burn their soldiers with space age hellfire if they don't do what he orders. I don't know about Agrippa Maintainer, but since Major Phil is allied with Poe I can conclude his rebellion will not succeed. Meaning that Guin Rhineford is still the most probable candidate for villain at this juncture.

Of note and worth asking is about the Willgame's cannon. The Willgame is armed with a Mega Particle Cannon, and I've heard variations of this weapon spoken of all throughout UC. Notably, the ZZ Gundam sported a High Mega Cannon in its skull (which was pretty freaking insane, really, giving a Gundam that kind of fire power). So while I assume that a warship's MPC would be more powerful than one built into a Gundam, I feel the need to ask if that is indeed the case, since this IS Gundam.

Also, I find that when the White Doll/White Devil/Gundam is brought up in Turn A, it makes a lot more sense to view it as a legend than it does for people in UC proper to do so, since the events of MSG, assuming they and the UC are canon to TAG, would have happened during the Dark History (or prior to the events therein) and rightfully belong to the age of legend.

Now, I realize you're all miles and miles ahead of me on all this, but here's my speculation regarding what happened at the moment:
UC2 ends, right? As in Victory is over and the Federation and the inhabited space realm is where it is. I know we had this great long talk, but for me the Federation is still the dominant military force for the entirety of UC and its successor century. Anyway, something happens and triggers another Gundam conflict, leading to the legend of the Ades Branch. This something is an event which requires the vast majority of Earth's remaining population leave the Earth behind. The colonies, having been disaffected by years of Federation rule, use this disaster to sever any ties with the Federation, which either sparks a war annihilating them all, or results in a resolution to leave Earth and its Moon alone.

Several hundred or so years pass by, and the age of the Earth Federation passes into myth and legend for the people of Earth and distant and murky history for the Moonrace. Here I would argue that the Moonrace may have maintained some contact with whoever else survived the Federation's end, such as Martians or Jovians, but they may have simply been aware that other survivors existed, since they bothered to keep building MSes. The Turn A is the Gundam of the era of whatever disaster spelled the end of the Earth Federation and most life on Earth, and was kept there. This is why, in spite of not looking terribly like THE Gundam, the Turn A is still an accepted Gundam on sight.

During the years between the Federation's Fall and the Moonrace's return, Dianna is made Queen of the Lunarians, and is kept in Cold Sleep for however many hundreds of years while they wait for the Earth to recover.

It it has a factor in your decision, I'd say avoid the dub of the movie trilogy. It's kind of bad. Even Steve Blum sucks in it.

If you need to watch dub, I'd recommend going with the TV series. That dub is actually pretty good. Even actors who are usually lackluster like Brad Swaile manage to do a good job acting. Plus (CONTROVERSIAL OPINION TIME) I think Michael Kopsa is just as good a Char as Shuuichi Ikeda. There is some wonkiness in a few of the characters, usually those who just have like one line and then die. But over all, it's pretty solid.

Now, I realize you're all miles and miles ahead of me on all this, but here's my speculation regarding what happened at the moment

You got that backwards and it isn't nearly crazy enough to be accurate. Now the reason why you got that backwards is probably the most critical part here as it might imply that there is a critical misunderstanding of the UC universe, the political and social factions within, and how it works in general.

PhiLonius

Emma is definitely the best Gundam girl. I like some others a lot, too, like Roux, Haman, Rain and so on, but Emma is best.

Turn A Gundam 32

Also, I find that when the White Doll/White Devil/Gundam is brought up in Turn A, it makes a lot more sense to view it as a legend than it does for people in UC proper to do so, since the events of MSG, assuming they and the UC are canon to TAG, would have happened during the Dark History (or prior to the events therein) and rightfully belong to the age of legend.

Now, I realize you're all miles and miles ahead of me on all this, but here's my speculation regarding what happened at the moment:
UC2 ends, right? As in Victory is over and the Federation and the inhabited space realm is where it is. I know we had this great long talk, but for me the Federation is still the dominant military force for the entirety of UC and its successor century. Anyway, something happens and triggers another Gundam conflict, leading to the legend of the Ades Branch. This something is an event which requires the vast majority of Earth's remaining population leave the Earth behind. The colonies, having been disaffected by years of Federation rule, use this disaster to sever any ties with the Federation, which either sparks a war annihilating them all, or results in a resolution to leave Earth and its Moon alone.

Several hundred or so years pass by, and the age of the Earth Federation passes into myth and legend for the people of Earth and distant and murky history for the Moonrace. Here I would argue that the Moonrace may have maintained some contact with whoever else survived the Federation's end, such as Martians or Jovians, but they may have simply been aware that other survivors existed, since they bothered to keep building MSes. The Turn A is the Gundam of the era of whatever disaster spelled the end of the Earth Federation and most life on Earth, and was kept there. This is why, in spite of not looking terribly like THE Gundam, the Turn A is still an accepted Gundam on sight.

During the years between the Federation's Fall and the Moonrace's return, Dianna is made Queen of the Lunarians, and is kept in Cold Sleep for however many hundreds of years while they wait for the Earth to recover.

Not to really spoil anything, but your fairly close in your speculation. But I will say the Turn A plays a much bigger role with what happens in the past.

Also +1 for Emma Sheen. One of the more level headed characters in Gundam.

Dynedom

What's a "mainline series" for Gundam anyway?

One that doesn't revolve around a Beyblade-like concept I guess. Even a completely unorthodox series like G Gundam still had its roots in War.

I do realize this is going to be "the" gundam show for the season, replacing AGE. That's not what I meant by my original post though.

CorvoSol

You got that backwards and it isn't nearly crazy enough to be accurate. Now the reason why you got that backwards is probably the most critical part here as it might imply that there is a critical misunderstanding of the UC universe, the political and social factions within, and how it works in general.

Can you go into more detail, or is that spoilers for the remainder of the series?

Not to really spoil anything, but your fairly close in your speculation. But I will say the Turn A plays a much bigger role with what happens in the past.

Also +1 for Emma Sheen. One of the more level headed characters in Gundam.

Ah, well it's kinda hard to tell right now, since all this talk of Gundams in Turn A could mean THE Turn A, or just all the Gundams of the past.

That theory is not crazy enough.

Well I haven't hit the last ten episodes yet, where I assume all the remaining crazy will ramp up.

Victory Gundam 17

Clipshow.
Disappointing introduction of Queen Zanscare.

GundamGAF Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 24

New OP coming soon I guess! Not really digging this one.

So Shakti is introduced to her mom and Cronicle Dumbasher gives Shakti a lecture of how her mom, the Queen of Zanscare, left her on Earth for Shakti's own good but now that they totally randomly happened to find her floating around in space is absolutely the time for the Queen to start protecting her. Luckily Shakti isn't made of 100% organic stupid like Crudicle Snasher and barges out of the room in an attempt to run away from the idiocy happening there.

Oh wait no she doesn't. What the fuck, I thought you were cool, Shakti?

Meanwhile the other kids have to run away from the nazi regime patrols who are probably out to kill everyone without a Zanscare ID card.

Haro makes some Gundam projections with his futuristic bubbleprojection technology. So I guess there's more use to that then just showing Uso pictures of pretty girls.
Oh and Haro also fucks up a soldier by giving him a concussion.

And then Haro sacrifices itself to save Uso from an electrical attack.
;_;7 Today we remember a proud hero

Thanks to that sacrifice, Uso is able to briefly meet Shakti. Then Marbet kicks some suit's head off.

Oh and Cronicle tries to fight but fails.

CorvoSol

Almost halfway through with the first Gundam movie and it's good so far. I'm kind of leaning towards the Feddies moreso than the Zeon.

Federation is better than Zeon all the time anyway, because corrupt, arrogant, inept and lazy as the Federation may be, they're not the knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, how-can-these-idiots-try-this-AGAIN morons that the Zeon are, for the sole reason that the Federation never invested repeatedly in Mobile Armors that were repeatedly blown to bits by one kid in one MS.

Mobile Armors are the real reason that the Zeon lost and lost and lost again. Those things NEVER work.

Federation is better than Zeon all the time anyway, because corrupt, arrogant, inept and lazy as the Federation may be, they're not the knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, how-can-these-idiots-try-this-AGAIN morons that the Zeon are, for the sole reason that the Federation never invested repeatedly in Mobile Armors that were repeatedly blown to bits by one kid in one MS.

Oh hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

The Zeon cause is a noble one. It's unfortunate that it gets taken over by Hitler-wannabes and psychopaths, but the motivations of the people are just. An ineffective corrupt government that no longer responds to the will of the people needs to be overturned.

And it's odd that you point out "How-can-these-idiots-try-this-again". The OYW, given it's scale, was resolved unnaturally quickly. From 0079 until about UC 96 when Zeon is no longer a threat, that's only 17 years. That isn't that long of a time for a war to take place at all. There are real live wars that take place over a much longer time period. You'd think the hardest of the hardcore would just sit down after their leaders surrender? Unlikely, especially considering several of the movements don't even consider the Granada treaty legitimate in the first place.

Also: Zekes have cooler mobile suits, cooler characters, cooler uniforms, and they're underdogs.

Al said it best.

tumblr_m30scl8aDl1qcw6qzo1_500.jpg

Sieg Zeon.

Oh hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.

The Zeon cause is a noble one. It's unfortunate that it gets taken over by Hitler-wannabes and psychopaths, but the motivations of the people are just. An ineffective corrupt government that no longer responds to the will of the people needs to be overturned.

And it's odd that you point out "How-can-these-idiots-try-this-again". The OYW, given it's scale, was resolved unnaturally quickly. From 0079 until about UC 96 when Zeon is no longer a threat, that's only 17 years. That isn't that long of a time for a war to take place at all. There are real live wars that take place over a much longer time period. You'd think the hardest of the hardcore would just sit down after their leaders surrender? Unlikely, especially considering several of the movements don't even consider the Granada treaty legitimate in the first place.

Also: Zekes have cooler mobile suits, cooler characters, cooler uniforms, and they're underdogs.

Al said it best.

Sieg Zeon.

I wouldn't trust what Al says after what happened in 0080.

CorvoSol

Al said it best.

Sieg Zeon.

You can't say you have a noble cause that got coopted when you start your war by dropping a colony onto a planet. What was noble about destroying the entire continent of Australia, again?

But that's not the point. The point is that even if Zakus were cooler than GMs, the Zeon were idiots who, rather than make more MSes, spent so much money and time on churning out MAs that they would have lost the war no matter what. The sheer number of prototype MAs that get blown to smithereens would have bankrupted them if the war had dragged on any longer. Nevermind that Zeon just LOVE lobbing things at the Earth, which is an enormous asset that only the stupidest or most insane of people would think of losing in a war.

Which also covers the bulk of Zeon leadership! Hilariously stupid or insane.

Federation > Zeon every time.

Turn A Gundam 33

So, in spite of the fact that
Mayalito
was only introduced last episode, I don't feel upset at their departure, on account of 1) Turn A Gundam doesn't pull that stunt very often, and 2) it was a legitimate passing that wasn't played for added melodrama. It was a natural extension of the relationship between
Mayalito and Quaotl
seen in the two episodes. So I felt okay with what happened there.

What was laughable about this episode, though, was that Borjarnons built goodness knows how many hundreds of years ago (two to three at the least would be my bet), are doing just fine, but WaDoms manufactured by the Lunarians were shot by primitive giant crossbows. I guess they don't make them like they used to?
For added comedy, the Zaku is sort of one of the weakest MSes around. Not as useless as an MA, though.

The other thing that occurred to me this episode is that, since so far the show has only suggested a connection with UC, this whole story about Loran and the White Doll kind of seems like, I don't know, a redemption of the White Devil, if you will? Spacers would be well within their rights to hate Gundams, since the Gundams for so long stood as the force which, one way or another, wound up upholding Federation rule. As the Turn A endeavors, not to uphold the status quo, but to find a way that the Moonrace and Earthrace can exist as equals, and also to destroy the nuclear weapons that symbolize the return of the disastrous wars of the Universal Centuries, it seems, in a way, that the Gundam is seeking a way to make up for all its predecessors have done. Sorta. That's heavily romanticized, but you get my point.

If you want to be technical, the Principality of Zeon's war was doomed before First Gundam
began. By time they started over-emphasizing Mobile Armors, the war was already lost. They believed at that point that only miracle weapons like the colony laser and mobile armors would prevent their defeat.

Zeon's blitz during the opening month was the only way they could have stood a chance. Their army was a fraction of the size of the Earth Federations. They knew they didn't stand a chance of winning a prolonged war. That is why Odessa and similar mining operations were so important to the Zeke army after the Antarctic Treaty was signed. Their goal was to shock with such an insane opening attack that the EF would quickly surrender, and it almost worked. The colony droppings and rampant use of nukes (on both sides mind you) were committed out of desperation. Should the Zabis be viewed as War Criminals? Absolutely, but it wouldn't be the first time a country justified a war crime with the excuse that it ended the war quickly or that the act "saved lives".

The Antarctic Treaty was originally going to be the Federation government surrendering, but then General Revil escaped (he had been captured and taken to side 3 during the Battle of Loum) and gave his "Zeon is Exhausted" speech, which roused morale within the Federation. After that, the war was over. There was literally nothing Zeon could do to win. Sure they managed to take over large portions of the Earth in a quick amount of time, but they were hyper extended and quickly beaten back.

Edit: The part of Turn A where the Moonrace talk about spacenoids being oppressed by Gundams never quite sat right with me. I mean, sure the RX-78 and Nu are technically symbolic of the Earth Federation. But the Zeta and Double Zeta were both fielded by the AEUG, a spacenoid independence movement in its own right. Plus both the Titans and the AEUG fielded Mk 2s

CorvoSol

Edit: The part of Turn A where the Moonrace talk about spacenoids being oppressed by Gundams never quite sat right with me. I mean, sure the RX-78 and Nu are technically symbolic of the Earth Federation. But the Zeta and Double Zeta were both fielded by the AEUG, a spacenoid independence movement in its own right. Plus both the Titans and the AEUG fielded Mk 2s

But even the Zeta and the Double Zeta served the Earth Federation's ends, and the Titans were a part of the Earth Federation, so their Mk. II and Psyco Gundams would also fit the view of Federation's ends.

I mean, the Zeta I suppose gets a pass since it fought the Titans almost exclusively, but during ZZ the Gundam Squad consisting of the ZZ, Zeta, Mk. II and Hyaku Shiki fought the Neo Zeon and repelled them, resulting in a return to the status quo of Earth Federation rule, and since the events of Zeta and ZZ occurred so closely, its no wonder that over the course of several hundred years the Moonrace would blur that all into one big win for the Earth and forget that the Titans had lost.

The Gundams just sort of always side with the Earth. During Zeta they didn't, but during MSG, ZZ, CCA, F91, XBone, and now Victory they sure do. It doesn't seem hard for me to see why the Moonrace would have seen them as such. The only odd thing to me is that I thought the Moonrace were people who evacuated the Earth during whatever apocalypse brought down the Federation once and for all, not Colonials or the like.

Speaking of Victory, though:

Victory Gundam 18

FUUUUUUUU

Marbet gets in a Mobile Suit! But also Cronicle puts on his damn fool mask in space, and Uso goes to tell the kids they shouldn't be on a battlefield, but takes the time to get out of his Gundam to do that. Then one kid calls him out on it, but immediately forgets they're heading into battle to ask about girls and Uso's relationship with Shakti. Also Jin Gehenam is a better leader than Maria Armonia already, if only because he isn't related to or currently employing Cronicle Asher.

It's an entire show populated by people who are at least as stupid as Katz.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 19 - 26

Been busy and doing a poor job keeping up with this rewatch, but mini-marathoned several episodes last night/this morning so I think I'm all caught up now. Won't summarize all the episodes but post a few observations.

- Was never really a fan of beam shields to begin with, but using one to cover the entire front of a ship seems like overkill.
- Uso's piloting skills/tactics range from awesome (his anticipation during his fight with Godwald) to WTF (joining together two sabers by crossing the beams, and then flinging them across space like a shuriken).
- A lot of waste with Victory parts as both Oliver and Uso sacrifice or throw away both Top and Bottom fighters
- Also a lot of mobile suit drop kicking other mobile suits in this show
-
Peggy
started getting some lines, so the writing was on the wall
- Uso telling
Junko "Please don't die", basically delayed her fate for at least a few more episodes
. If only he had done the same for
Peggy
- Chronicle Asher sucks. Flat out. Let's disregard the fact he's had his ass handed to him by a child several times at this point. But now with Uso
carrying the Queen in the palm of the Victory, he decides his best course of action is to attack head on with a beam saber and then attempt to sever the arm carrying the Queen/his sister.
- Katejina has gone full Reccoa. No coming back from that.
- Tomache, his brother, Elischa, and Martina are some of the more resourceful kids in Gundam and contribute rather than just get in the way and fuck things up. Suzy is alright as well.
- The Queen is like the Pope but with actual powers.
- The Zanscare chant just doesn't have the same weight to it that "Sieg Zeon" does.

Tecl0n

I've been meaning to watch ZZ now that's on youtube, but i don't think i have the will to sit through another full length series.

Finally put some stickers on my Strike today so I'm done with that. Click here if you wanna see. Absolutely love the model and it makes me want to rewatch SEED, but this time the HD remaster.
Next I'll build White Ogre. A Zaku, in white. Which is the best color for a Zaku in my opinion, closely followed by Char's red
and Lunamaria's Pink.

Where the fuck is ambientmystic? Oh god, he's banned!? The lead poster of our rewatch is gone.

GundamGAF Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 25

Uso gets punched in the face.
Oh no, the blonde Shrike said something. Guess she's done for.
Oh no, she said her name is Peggy.
Oh no, she's being awfully wordy today. I wonder what that's all about.
Jinn Gehenamm says something peculiar.
"Where's the REAL Jinn Gehenamm?"
wowzers
"Those Contio pilots aren't good enough to beat him." says Cronicle, failing to realize that he is a useless doof who has been unable to beat that very same 'him' a dozen times. God I hate Cronicle.

The whole episode I was just waiting for
Peggy to die
so I couldn't pay a lot of attention to the other stuff, but the way the episode ended was great.

CorvoSol

I've been meaning to watch ZZ now that's on youtube, but i don't think i have the will to sit through another full length series.

That's how I felt after watching Zeta, but a little over half-way into ZZ I really started to get into it. I really need to watch Zeta in Japanese, though, because I really think the English dub accentuated the problems I was having with the show. Anyway, ZZ is my favorite UC show.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 27

Posting a day early because the end of this episode got me thinking. Which main Gundam pilot in any series has the highest/lowest kill count?

If I remember
Loran
would be at the bottom with the lowest number and after this episode of Victory I would think Uso would be very near the top.

Katejina is a pilot now and is spewing some bs about the Queen's ideals. Even with her lack of experience I'm sure she could hold her own against Chronicle.
And another one bites the dust.

Nevermind that Zeon just LOVE lobbing things at the Earth, which is an enormous asset that only the stupidest or most insane of people would think of losing in a war.

Which also covers the bulk of Zeon leadership! Hilariously stupid or insane.

Here we are, the largest misconception you probably have. The Earth isn't an asset, it's a rock. A giant rock with very little value. The majority of the human population lives in space, the majority of the industry is in space, all of helium-3 is in space. There is very little value on Earth, the only thing left there is the infrastructure that supports the broken and incompetent bureaucracy of The Earth Federation. Which is the crux of the whole conflict. Everything of value is in space but all of the administrative and legislative power is on Earth.

Edit: Not to mention that The Earth Federation government is equally incompetent and stupid and incapable of making the right decisions. The only reason they didn't lose the one year was because of General Revil. That man is single-handedly responsible for turning around the tide of the war. The only thing Earth Federation has over Zeon is that they didn't resort to Genocide until after the events of the one year war.

Finally put some stickers on my Strike today so I'm done with that. Click here if you wanna see. Absolutely love the model and it makes me want to rewatch SEED, but this time the HD remaster.
Next I'll build White Ogre. A Zaku, in white. Which is the best color for a Zaku in my opinion, closely followed by Char's red
and Lunamaria's Pink.

That Strike is looking really awesome! Aile Strike is by far my favorite MS design from SEED.
Though Meer's pink Zaku in Destiny is high in the rankings simply for the troll factor :p

I think I'll get in on a Victory rewatch once I'm caught up with some other shows.

CorvoSol

Here we are, the largest misconception you probably have. The Earth isn't an asset, it's a rock. A giant rock with very little value. The majority of the human population lives in space, the majority of the industry is in space, all of helium-3 is in space. There is very little value on Earth, the only thing left there is the infrastructure that supports the broken and incompetent bureaucracy of The Earth Federation. Which is the crux of the whole conflict. Everything of value is in space but all of the administrative and legislative power is on Earth.

Edit: Not to mention that The Earth Federation government is equally incompetent and stupid and incapable of making the right decisions. The only reason they didn't lose the one year was because of General Revil. That man is single-handedly responsible for turning around the tide of the war. The only thing Earth Federation has over Zeon is that they didn't resort to Genocide until after the events of the one year war.

It's a rock covered in natural resources that, provided the evacuation Char advocated took place, would be capable of replenishing those natural resources over time with no maintenance required. Humanity may not be tied to the Earth, but to deny that the Earth is a valuable piece of real estate to own seems to be foolish to me. It's also an inhabitable planet. Since no mention was ever made during UC of terraforming technology being used on Mars, and cities on the moon needing to be contained inside of big huge domes, the Earth's being inhabitable is an inherent value. Denying its worth seems like some pro-zeke propaganda to me.

I'm not saying that Earth is like "He who holds the Earth rules the world," since much late UC takes place away from it, but it isn't a rock like the moon is a rock. If it was, there wouldn't always be a need for heroes like Tobia and Amuro to come rushing to it whenever some half-cocked lunatic tries to drop something on it and destroy it.

I'm not saying that Earth is like "He who holds the Earth rules the world," since much late UC takes place away from it, but it isn't a rock like the moon is a rock. If it was, there wouldn't always be a need for heroes like Tobia and Amuro to come rushing to it whenever some half-cocked lunatic tries to drop something on it and destroy it.
The reason those "heroes" are rushing to save it are all the humans that still live on it and to some degree the planet it self. Yes the Earth it self is a living thing and as much part of it's native flora as much as the environment that the flora inhabits. That's the thing that is worth saving in the eye's of Char and Amuro, the living planet and the things it represents and all the lives still on it. Not the resources or potentially strategically valuable locations or anything like that.

KiraFA37

All this talk about Emma and UC reminded me I should finish watching zeta and then start watching ZZ. I stopped around episode 24-25? Just around when they are heading back into space? Luckily I'm getting up to date with some gundam games. Played some battlefield record UC0081 the other day and started playing gundam UC. First one is a grind and the latter is DLC heaven. They play well though.

CorvoSol

The reason those "heroes" are rushing to save it are all the humans that still live on it and to some degree the planet it self. Yes the Earth it self is a living thing and as much part of it's native flora as much as the environment that the flora inhabits. That's the thing that is worth saving in the eye's of Char and Amuro, the living planet and the things it represents and all the lives still on it. Not the resources or potentially strategically valuable locations or anything like that.

But the people living on it and things living on it are a part of its value. The emotional value of the planet is as useful as any other part of it. If I needed to win favor for my regime with the populace, I would definitely take that into account. PR is like the thing where all the leaders in Gundam sorta fall short.

All this talk about Emma and UC reminded me I should finish watching zeta and then start watching ZZ. I stopped around episode 24-25? Just around when they are heading back into space? Luckily I'm getting up to date with some gundam games. Played some battlefield record UC0081 the other day and started playing gundam UC. First one is a grind and the latter is DLC heaven. They play well though.

Emma is the best part of Zeta Gundam.
Kamille should've hooked up with her.

But the people living on it and things living on it are a part of its value. The emotional value of the planet is as useful as any other part of it. If I needed to win favor for my regime with the populace, I would definitely take that into account. PR is like the thing where all the leaders in Gundam sorta fall short.
[/SPOILER]

You're implying that people care about the lives of "the enemy" during a war. Generally speaking, when a country is dedicated to going to war, civillian lives aren't a concern really.

With regards to the Principality of Zeon, the Zabis had begun preparing Side 3 for war since shortly after Zeon Deikun's assassination. Even before then, it was looking like things were going to go that way.

The people of Side 3 (and many of the other Sides) are raised to believe that the people of Earth are all rich as hell and politically powerful. That the only people living on Earth are their oppressors. Of course the franchise has shown that the "Earth-born elite" is somewhat of a myth, but it's very clear that there is a general contempt for the Earth-born by most spacenoids. Hell, one scene that stands out that demonstrates this is the scene in First Gundam where Kai finds out Amuro is from Earth and says something derogatory. There is another scene where Bright is talking to Sayla about being from Earth, and she mocks him.

Spacenoids do not like Earthnoids.

CorvoSol

You're implying that people care about the lives of "the enemy" during a war. Generally speaking, when a country is dedicated to going to war, civillian lives aren't a concern really.

With regards to the Principality of Zeon, the Zabis had begun preparing Side 3 for war since shortly after Zeon Deikun's assassination. Even before then, it was looking like things were going to go that way.

The people of Side 3 (and many of the other Sides) are raised to believe that the people of Earth are all rich as hell and politically powerful. That the only people living on Earth are their oppressors. Of course the franchise has shown that the "Earth-born elite" is somewhat of a myth, but it's very clear that there is a general contempt for the Earth-born by most spacenoids. Hell, one scene that stands out that demonstrates this is the scene in First Gundam where Kai finds out Amuro is from Earth and says something derogatory. There is another scene where Bright is talking to Sayla about being from Earth, and she mocks him.

Spacenoids do not like Earthnoids.

First off, it's naive to think that sides of a war are so homogenous that both sides are comprised solely of people wanting to kill the other side. If that were the case, Gundam wouldn't have so many factions popping up. Karaba was an Earth-based movement of people who were not in favor of the Titans' actions, for instance. Bernadette was a Jovian who was against the Jupiter Empire's actions. So yes, I think I'm quite right when I say that there are people who do care about the lives of "the enemy" during a war. Especially in a franchise like Gundam where the hero very frequently questions the very nature of who and what an enemy is and why that person has to be their enemy.

But that's aside from my point. This is THE Earth. It is the origin point of all humanity's cultures, technology, and the species itself. It has a romantic value as such, and protecting it rightly grants those who do so a heroic aura. Surely the Earth Federation would put that to use for its own propaganda? Think of the neutral colonies and how seeing the Zeon willingness to blow up the Earth for the sake of independence would effect their decisions. The Zeon, as you've admitted, were facing an uphill battle the whole time. They could hardly be in a position to make enemies of potential allies.

The Earth also holds value as a massive natural resource. Life in the Jupiter Fleet was terrible. Water and oxygen were rationed with austerity, and the notion of obtaining the Earth was appealing to the rank and file soldiers for good reason. Life in colonies might also be sustainable, but none of these compares to life on a planet. It's also more spacious. The Earth Federation's elite went and enjoyed this space to the exclusion of others, but let's not pretend that people like Cosmo Babylonia or non-Dogatie Jovian leadership would not have wanted the same. The Zanscare certainly seem to, since they're hell-bent on invading it, and the crux of the war so far in Turn A has been over it, too, since life on Earth beats the hell out of life on the Moon. Certainly, by this point the metals, oil, and space-age elements are gone, but the Earth is still the largest farmable land in the neighborhood.

It seems to me that a recurring point in Gundam is that destroying the Earth in part or whole is wrong, which is why you don't hear of the heroes doing it. The Zeon do it in the OYW and are portrayed as largely evil what with the Nazi comparisons. Char tries to do it and Amuro steps up to the plate to stop him from making an irreversible mistake. Zechs goes to do it in Wing and Heero tells him he's gone mad. Master Asia goes about his own version of it and Domon points out his errors. Crux Dogatie goes to do it and Tobia and Seabook decide its so fucked up they can't even let him THINK he's done it.

Whether the value be monetary or sentimental, attacking the planet is always the first sign that someone is a bad guy in Gundam.

Beth Cyra

So apparently a new Gundam Musou was announced

when's Full Boost? :(
Full Boost is still getting tons of Content and making Bandai Namco mad money. Why would they port it to consoles at this point?

When they upgrade their arcade boards and bring out the follow up is when we can probably expect Full Boost.

duckroll

Bandai's marketing seems pretty packed for the rest of this year. They're pushing Gundam Breaker on Vita along with the new Gundam Build Fighters anime, and probably hoping the PS3 one keeps selling too, and now they have Shin Gundam Musou for year end. Full Boost probably won't show up until 2014. :(

Is that breaking news? I immediately began scouring the internet and I can't find anything

Edit: Looks like you were right.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/03/shin-dynasty-warriors-gundam-in-development-for-ps3-and-vita/

Confirmed Mobile Suits:

X-78-2 Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam)
MS-065 Char’s Custom Zaku (Mobile Suit Gundam)
MSN-02 ZeonG (Mobile Suit Gundam)

MSZ-006 Z Gundam (Mobile Suit Z Gundam)
AMX-004 Qubeley (Mobile Suit Z Gundam)

RX-93 Nu Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack)
MSZ-04 Sazabi (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack)

GN-0000 + GNR-010 00 Raiser (Mobile Suit Gundam 00)

Concept-X 612 Turn X (Turn A Gundam)

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam UC)
MSN-065 Sinanju (Mobile Suit Gundam UC)
NZ-666 Kshatriya (Mobile Suit Gundam UC)

GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed)
ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny)
ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny)
GMF-X425 Destiny Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny)

Apparently there will be playable Mobile Armors, and you'll be able to call down battleships as well.

MSG Movie II

Goddamn Ramba Ral
was a real dude.
I like the UC series more than anything else. It's grounded in a believable reality and the characters aren't too terrible. Plus the tactics that are employed in the series are pretty good, although I hear Dougram is much better in that regard.

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 34

Lolol, Cpt. Harry is too damn cool for school. Dude kissed Poe back to health and now his SUMO is caressing hers as he tells her she needs to find a new man to become a better woman. NTR Harry is best Harry. Gundam Hammer is the most underrated weapon in the Gundam's arsenal (except perhaps the vulcans, which only ever impressed like, one person). Loran just completely abuses Poe's crew with that badass ball and chain. Meanwhile, Guin Rhineford is getting pretty pissed that Loran is turning saintlier as he increases in awesome.

Colonel Michael is so damn good looking now that he's grown his beard and removed his jacket to display his incredible muscles. If I were Guin Rhineford and I had a subordinate that manly I would definitely put him in charge of my military, too.

Dianna and Kihel are going to have to stop switching Loran out, because it's going to lead to one very kinky marriage I don't think his poor head can take much more of that.

Yeah, Dougram is pretty sweet. It does have some moments where Dougram seems OP, but overall it's a pretty grounded show, and it's cool how it emphasizes infantry support from main character's friends, who are on the ground in cars or motorcycles.

Pretty awesome cast, interesting setting and politics. Amazing villain. It's a show I usually recommend to people, if they're the types that can appreciate older shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom