• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

I never got around to watching the last two episodes of AGE. I've waited this long, I'll just buy the Blu-ray of Vol. 13 (eps 47, 48 and 49 with English subs) when I'm in Japan this coming April. Should be pretty damn cheap seeing how this was mega bomba.

me + my brother hatewatched AGE weekly for the entire run and the most amazing thing about the show is that it kept getting worse all the way to those last episodes (which are the worssssst things)

Bombless

me + my brother hatewatched AGE weekly for the entire run and the most amazing thing about the show is that it kept getting worse all the way to those last episodes (which are the worssssst things)

Good god, I kinda want to watch that now.

klausbert

You're watching the wrong Gundam show friend. This would be like watching Wing and asking when Gundainium becomes weak to enemy fire. Shit ain't happening, and it only gets more off the wall aka Wing tanking Libra's Canon and Trans Am for OO.
Meh, it seems so. I should better rewatch MSG 0079. Waiting for the next episode of UC is so hard :(

CorvoSol

You really can't call someone a pedophile if they are the same age as the person they have a crush on.

They really should have had more interactions between Urine and Flit, so it wasn't so odd that he was so emotionally invested in her, but is he a pedophile? Not really.

Edit: Lol Urine. God damn auto correct.

Flit was like 80 and had a wife and was still thinking about a 10 year old girl. I'll say what I want about Space Hitler.

Meh, it seems so. I should better rewatch MSG 0079. Waiting for the next episode of UC is so hard :(

Finish S1. Do it for Lockon.

Wubby

Okay.

I bought this the other day. I'll probably start it this weekend at my friend's little art studio in his apartment.

Awesome! If you are doing it in an art studio are you planning to paint it or something?

Speaking of new Gunpla it looks like MG 1/100 Crossbone Gundam X3 Ver.Ka is coming, but as Premium Bandai release.

http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/

Also as you can see in that last image the Gundam Decal DX sheets are going to be re-released. I missed them the first time around and wonder if I should get the set (minus the Seed one maybe since I don't really have any Seed kits).

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 30

Episode starts with Uso having a flashback of his mom teaching him how to throw knives. Mother of the year.

Afterwards, Uso and the gang land on the moon and, in a moment of sheer coincidence, run into his mother who they save from a group of 1970's thugs.

Rest of the episode is mostly flashbacks, with Uso chilling with his mother and talking about his time on Earth piloting the Victory.

ALL ABOARD THE CRONICLE HATE TRAIN

GundamGAF Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 30

Haro, Flanders and Uso are the tag team of the century.

recaps

I hated Desil but that's because he's an awful fucking terrible piece of shit son of a bitch child molester-invented mother fucking ear raping cliche as all hell character. I have seen teenagers pop zits more original than that throat cancer of a character.

Thank you for reminding me that there is in fact a character in the Gundam franchise who is so, so much worse than Quess Paraya. I had forgotten.

Flit liked Yurin because he was a goddamn pedophile. The man's wife was still alive and his son and grandchild were right in front of him and what stops space Hitler
from nuking the Martian Jews?
A wet dream about a ten year old. Gods, but I had forgotten how truly awful Gundam AGE is. This reminder is the strength I will require to continue through Victory. Even though Uso is shaping up to be a little mini Hino. He isn't quite there, but the amount of times Uso gets his way versus the amount of times he's actually punished for fucking up is staggering. Especially considering he fucks up in a way that ends in someone's death EVERY EPISODE.

And Woolf was only cool because he was the only character in the show who said "Fuck being an X-Rounder that shit is lame."

Just got to say your posts are amazing. And spot on!

I think I'll join you all in progress on the Victory Rewatch.

Beth Cyra

Given my Son's love of the Crossbone's, I will defeintly pick up X3 despite me thinking it's easily the worst of the three.

Still I really wish they would stop putting the sexy Katoki Boxes as online Exclusive's damn it.

CorvoSol

I forgot to mention that Megalosoro's hilarious autocorrect incident will form the single piece of evidence in my future insistence that Flit had a urine fetish.

I AM NOT ASHAMED.

Aizo

Banned
Awesome! If you are doing it in an art studio are you planning to paint it or something?

I am thinking about it. This is only my third kit. I painted my first one when this friend and I lived in another country, and he had an actual studio. It just took so long, so I'm not sure..

Gundam Seed - 15
I like how
Kira
is the only character I've seen have onscreen sex. Of all people... I find that quite funny.
Spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/fKIyoHq.jpg

Apparently that was quite controversial in Japan.

Seriously though, I hate Flay so much. Seed would have been like 10% better without her. It still would have been shit, but it wouldn't have been utter shit.

Seriously though, I hate Flay so much. Seed would have been like 10% better without her. It still would have been shit, but it wouldn't have been utter shit.

Yep, people didn't like that being part of a 5pm anime targeted towards kids.

Aizo

Banned
Flay is very annoying, but I don't think the series is complete shit yet. Do I have high tolerance, or does the series get much worse? Right now, it seems like a bad Gundam series, but an average anime.

CorvoSol

As bad as Flay was, she was so much better than Stella. So, so, so so so so so so so so much better.

mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru ~~

At least Stella's dialogue was top notch.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
As bad as Flay was, she was so much better than Stella. So, so, so so so so so so so so much better.
Yeah well, as terrible as she was Flay at least had some personality.

klausbert

Mobile Suit Gundam 18
For the first time i find myself rooting for Kira. But killing that Professor of was really cheap, he could have made the series so much better.
I'm still with the people who don't have the fancy GN Particles though. Especially that faction with the guy whose name makes me want to drink and their one eyed suits!

ALL ABOARD THE CRONICLE HATE TRAIN

GundamGAF Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 31

Some creeps kidnap Shakti.

Urgh, Cronicle makes an appearance. I now hate his voice as well. If I end up disliking red haired chicks because of Victory Gundam then I'm sending Tomino a rude letter.

Then after successfully rescuing Shakti, Katejina kidnaps Uso's mom to get back at LM instead of Shakti. Why she didn't steal Shakti we'll never know.

Odelo is sortied.

The battle that takes place in this episode is pretty damn intense.

Holy shit, Oliver!

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Seed - 16
My reaction to the dramatic events surrounding Flay can be summed up quite well by this frame.
ErrwOrU.jpg

CorvoSol

Can you really call that love? I call it a drug fueled stupor.

I can't. But you wouldn't believe the people who do.

mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru mamoru ~~

At least Stella's dialogue was top notch.

Ed, Edd n Eddy's Plank had better lines.

Yeah well, as terrible as she was Flay at least had some personality.

I almost cared about her at the end of SEED. And then that ridiculous naked space hallucination. This was before I knew that was a thing in Gundam.

Gundam Seed - 16
My reaction to the dramatic events surrounding Flay can be summed up quite well by this frame.

See, I wish when people wanted to talk about how unjustified Kira was at things, they'd bring this up, because to me this is the real ridiculous thing he did. I mean, bro, you stole your best friend's girlfriend (which he would later do again, to Athrun) and now you're kicking his ass (again to Athrun)? Just ain't right.

I almost cared about her at the end of SEED. And then that ridiculous naked space hallucination. This was before I knew that was a thing in Gundam.

According to interviews the hallucination didn't even really happen. It was some sort of interpretative thing. Really, they just wanted to have a homage and it was a dumb. To imply that Kira and Flay had anywhere near the same relationship that Lalah and Amuro had is ridiculous.

CorvoSol

According to interviews the hallucination didn't even really happen. It was some sort of interpretative thing. Really, they just wanted to have a homage and it was a dumb. To imply that Kira and Flay had anywhere near the same relationship that Lalah and Amuro had is ridiculous.

And then they did it again with Shinn and Stella!

And Flit and pedophilia!

Yeah, silly stuff. If they aren't newtypes or something analogous to newtypes with psychic powers, spare us the trippy telepathic sequences, Sunrise.

In other news, next week is going to be pretty sweet. Volume 3 of Origin will be out, and it focuses on one of the most bad ass characters in the franchise. Not to mention, presumably, it will also have "the speech".

Can't wait to see how both Ramba Ral and Garma's funeral will be portrayed.

Aizo

Banned
See, I wish when people wanted to talk about how unjustified Kira was at things, they'd bring this up, because to me this is the real ridiculous thing he did. I mean, bro, you stole your best friend's girlfriend (which he would later do again, to Athrun) and now you're kicking his ass (again to Athrun)? Just ain't right.

I felt the same way. It seemed quite out of character to me. So harsh, man.

CorvoSol

Yeah, silly stuff. If they aren't newtypes or something analogous to newtypes with psychic powers, spare us the trippy telepathic sequences, Sunrise.

In other news, next week is going to be pretty sweet. Volume 3 of Origin will be out, and it focuses on one of the most bad ass characters in the franchise. Not to mention, presumably, it will also have "the speech".

Can't wait to see how both Ramba Ral and Garma's funeral will be portrayed.

Don't forget though, that Kira IS a Newtype. SRW may disagree, but he has the Newtype flash going on.

I felt the same way. It seemed quite out of character to me. So harsh, man.

Sometimes Jesus is a jerk.

Victory Gundam 23

-Karlmann shrieks like the demon pig that he is even when allegedly happy. I have NEVER seen this horrible fiend shut up. I'm going to be a terrible father some day.
-Speaking of bad parenting: "Hey Shakti this white lady is your mom! She doesn't look even remotely like you, and is the Queen of a brutal, violent and stupid (they're a spacenoid empire, that goes without saying) regime which violently executes people! Yay don't you feel so happy at meeting this woman claiming to be your mother with only "blood tests" that you have not been shown as her proof?"
-No Shakti has not been constantly fighting Cronicle she's done like, even less than you, which I grant isn't saying much because you've done about as much fighting as fucking Flanders you lazy ass, sorry, pathetic excuse for a Char clone.
-Speaking of how awful you are, Cronicle, you do realize you just told a frightened little girl, who has seen your men kill people and threaten to rape people (like seriously, the Zeon, Cosmo Babylonians, and Jovians never seemed even remotely as rapey as the Zanscare) that if she doesn't accept the woman who condones the brutal, public execution of her political opponents as her mother, as opposed to the woman who raised her as her own, that she will be instead choosing to accept a return to the war.

You know, the war that this so called mother of hers has started and perpetuates and does nothing with her title of Queen to stop, nor shows any sign of regretting, feeling, or giving a fuck about at all. This war that is this woman's fault, and whom the support of would be, in fact, a resolution to return to the battlefield, as opposed to running away, which is a very reasonable thing to do when a frightened little girl is having a big, ugly guy shout in her face.

AND ALL THIS IN THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES.

I want to call Victory the AGE of UC, but I think it would be more fair to call it the 00 of UC. Great music, well animated, some good fights and mechanical designs, but a plot so shitty that it could only have been ass-crafted by the royal Poopsmith himself. AGE has more in common with the plot, but it didn't have good music, and the mechanical designs look like something that captain hook would have drawn with his one good hand behind his back and a bad case of explosive diarrhea.

You want to know why Gundam started to falter, look no further than Victory. Thank goodness it was followed up with the stellar Turn A.

WHY ARE THERE SHIRTS ADVERTISING THE UTAH JAZZ AND SHAQUIEL O'NEIL AT THIS POINT IN HISTORY?

I don't know if it is the show's quality or just that I've watched SO MUCH Gundam that I'm just tired of some of it, but I really can barely pay attention to a full episode of this right now. I'll get like six minutes into an episode and wish it was over already.

SEED was Sunrise's attempt to reboot Gundam and make another UC 0079 type show, hence the 0079 similarities in SEED and Zeta touches in Destiny.

Just started Zeta Gundam and Im liking the show so far, whats better: dub or sub? I'm watching it subbed. Its not too late to change the audio :p

frye

SEED was Sunrise's attempt to reboot Gundam and make another UC 0079 type show, hence the 0079 similarities in SEED and Zeta touches in Destiny.

also victory touches for some reason! (impulse is kinda V1, destiny is kinda v2)

Just started Zeta Gundam and Im liking the show so far, whats better: dub or sub? I'm watching it subbed. Its not too late to change the audio :p

0079 dub is good, CCA dub is good: Zeta's is not.

CorvoSol

SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB SUB.

I watched the dub and I'm almost certain it is half the reason I'm NOT a big fan of Zeta.

Victory Gundam 25

I suppose I can't say "Nothing" happened this time, as there was a fair amount of plot progression. The League Militaire was defeated by the Zanscare, who now possess almost all of Side 2 (making them pathetically small when it comes to the grand scheme of things, which makes the Federation hilariously lazy for not fighting them.), Marbet lost her marbles and decided "we have to go back." Uso got socked in the face and I finally realized that he isn't going to worry about that because whenever someone punishes Uso a hot woman in a tight space suit comes and shoves his face in their tits or pats his ass or something. The point is Uso's negative behavior is positively reinforced by the Shrike Team, who continue to die in droves.

Oh, and Jin Gehenam is not the REAL Jin Gehenam, who I suppose will be as scary as his descendant was. Also I would like to continue to contest that in a long line of terrible Spacer rulers, the Zanscare Queen is without a doubt the worst. I mean, at times it seemed very clear that Degwin Zabi knew what he was doing, and when he was wrong, but he was also not good at knowing who to trust. Ghiren was nuuuuuts. Hahaha who cares about Stardust Memory. Haman Khan was brilliant, but she sorta bet it all on conquering the Earth there, and kinda should've taken the time to seduce Glemy as thoroughly as she had Mashmyre, but she spent too much time on Judau. Char put Quess in his army. I mean he should've just surrendered then and there. Cosmo Babylonia is meh. Crux was awesome crazy and also sort of less concerned with ruling so much as total annihilation. This bitch is trying to be all motherly like she's Dianna Soreil or something except her people USE A GUILLOTINE and are basically space barbarians.

Aizo

Banned

At least Astray exists because of all that nonsense. Speaking of the Seed universe...

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed C.E.73: Stargazer (1-3; End)
Grimdark Gundam? The first episode sure made it seem like that.
The pacing is positively awful, especially in the last episode. The Stargazer hardly got any screen time. Bah.

CorvoSol

Victory Gundam 26

Man that Cronicle Asher is such a nice, badass guy. Killing defenseless women and punching little boys in handcuffs. Such an upstanding villain who is definitely competent and capable of getting things done without handicaps.

And that queen Maria, so nice. She waits until Cronicle has killed someone senselessly before asking him to stand down. And she's all "I wish to stop the guillotine's use, too!" You're the FUCKING QUEEN OF THE ZANSCARE. If you can't stop its use, when you want to, then what in the fuck DO you do?

And Katejina, what a great spy she is, fucking Cronicle all the time and doing work for the Zanscare and not actually ever reporting to the League Militaire and out and out obstructing Uso's attempted escape.

What a cast of genuine, not shitty characters.

LOLOLO Maria has magical healing powers and Katejina is now an ace MS pilot. Fuck this show is so bad.

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed C.E.73: Stargazer (1-3; End)
Grimdark Gundam? The first episode sure made it seem like that.
The pacing is positively awful, especially in the last episode. The Stargazer hardly got any screen time. Bah.

Ending song was at least awesome (Well both SEED and Destiny had awesome soundtracks too so not a surprise...)

Bombless

To be fair, after they first landed on Earth wasn't his whole demeanor for those first few episodes written to come across a bit asshole-ish/immature? The way he talked to the captain/reporter chick, and fought in the field.

At that time Jesus hadn't fully accepted the mantle of our Lord and Saviour. He was still cranky about it. It was all the Devil Flay's work anyway. He beat that temptation and went out of the desert though!

CorvoSol

At that time Jesus hadn't fully accepted the mantle of our Lord and Saviour. He was still cranky about it. It was all the Devil Flay's work anyway. He beat that temptation and went out of the desert though!

If having sex is a method of beating temptation the Church of Mecha just got a whole lot more popular.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 31

At this point, I'm fairly certain that there is something mentally wrong with Shakti. It's the only explanation.

Also, Oliver throws himself at a tire.

Aizo

Banned
If having sex is a method of beating temptation the Church of Mecha just got a whole lot more popular.

I face space, and pray to Mecha five times a day.

All right, so, I've got some Gundam related stuff to say about TGS. Shin Gundam Musou was playable, but the line was too long. I saw that Big Zam was playable, but I didn't get a good look at a trailer they played to see which suits are new. I saw that the return to less cell shaded graphics looked good, and there were far more enemies on screen than in previous titles. To me, it looks like a lot of fun.

Second, does anyone have Gundam Breaker? I got some product code for it with some Gundam pamphlets. Does anyone want it?

Wubby

Second, does anyone have Gundam Breaker? I got some product code for it with some Gundam pamphlets. Does anyone want it?

I have Gundam Breaker though I haven't played it as much as I should. Any idea what the code is for?

I was thinking of going to TGS this year. Although I say that every year! I'm not in Tokyo so it would cost me $140 in round trip shinkansen tickets to get there then I always think about how much gunpla I could buy with that and do I really want to deal with the huge crowds so I never end up actually going lol. One of these years...

Onto some Gunpla news! A new Beargguy is on the way! Beargguy III! What happened to Beargguy II? I don't know. Maybe a future Premium Bandai release? Was the Beargguy we currently know actually II and Acuguy count as I? This is an important question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom