• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiLonius

It was the last one, but yeah, that would be difficult to find in that thread..

Edit: Took like 40 seconds to find this one.

For Philonius' sake, my entire review (minus episode 1, which I just cannot find and is buried somewhere under events better forgotten) is here, now:

Amazing read lol. The Archie/ X-Men/King Arthur/Gundam references were great. Reactions to the show are always as much a WTF as the show itself.

Bombless

Okay, judging by the review titles this is a must see anime. I shall do that then.

Edit : On topic...I really need to complete my Strike Freedom Lightning Ver. sometime. The poor guy has been standing unfinished for almost 2 years now.

CorvoSol

You guys make me feel guilty for encouraging you to pick up School Days. Anyway, I have to hurry up with freaking Victory 'cuz the Fall of Sakuga is coming and I want to watch a bunch of new shows this season.

The only new show I'm watching this season is Build Fighters. But I don't really like anime that much. Just Gundam and old mecha shows from the 70s and 80s

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 34

This show is all over the place this episode, even more than usual. But two things specifically stand out.

Zanscare's ideals and the actual spreading/execution of those ideals seem to sit on completely different ends of the spectrum and it has never been more apparent than in this episode. They talk about the Queen and how she wants nothing more than to end the war and bring about a revolution based on peace and motherly love. And what method did they decide was the best way to get that message out?

To land on Earth and
literally run over a city of people

The second thing is the Chronicle Mask issue again. He started the episode with it nowhere in sight. Then all of a sudden halfway through he's wearing it again.

You guys make me feel guilty for encouraging you to pick up School Days. Anyway, I have to hurry up with freaking Victory 'cuz the Fall of Sakuga is coming and I want to watch a bunch of new shows this season.

It's always my first post in a recommendation thread.

The only new show I'm watching this season is Build Fighters. But I don't really like anime that much. Just Gundam and old mecha shows from the 70s and 80s

Speaking of which, I need some suggestions for some other mecha shows outside of Gundam. I've realized the list of shows I've watched in this genre is pretty light and would love some recommendations.

I recommend:

Patlabor: The series (I haven't seen the movies or OVAs, but I hear they're great too)
Fang of the Sun Dougram
VOTOMs
Ideon (Dat Koichi Sugiyama soundtrack)

Aizo

Banned
Speaking of which, I need some suggestions for some other mecha shows outside of Gundam. I've realized the list of shows I've watched in this genre is pretty light and would love some recommendations.
I'm going to assume you've seen some of these, but I'll do the whole list, just in case.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, The Big O, Top wo Nerae, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Five Star Stories (the manga has much more content, though), Aura Battler Dunbine, Shin Getter Robo, Mazinkaiser, Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar, Soukou Kihei Votoms, Densetsu Kyojin Ideon, Bokurano.

Some may recommend Eureka Seven. I thought it was crap, but I think the proponents of its greatness outweigh those with similar opinions to mine. Some people might also recommend Escaflowne. I'm not done with it, so I didn't recommend it. I recommended some that I hold in high regard, and those recommended by people who have seen much more mecha than I.

CorvoSol

Build Fighters looks like it is going to be really good.

My recommendations are the usual:

-Full Metal Panic!
-Martian Successor Nadesico
-Eureka Seven (NOT AO NEVER AO)
-The Big O
-GaoGaiGar

Victory Gundam 29

What the hell even was this piece of shit episode about? The mood changed so often and so poorly that I've got whiplash. Like, what the hell, really. First, Katejina is jizzing her space pants because her (MOST FUCKING TERRIBLY DESIGNED) mobile suit beat the Victory (it didn't, a fucking truck out of nowhere, that shouldn't have been there AND IS NOT EVER SEEN AFTER THOSE TEN SECONDS beat him.) Then, suddenly Shakti is chewing out Odelo for shooting at people (Uh, Shakti, you got to live it up in a cush palace while your mom's people were hunting Odelo down, shut the fuck up now and please also murder yourself in a violent and grotesque way you selfish asshole.). Then Uso is having a sexy bath with his captor and he sucks her tit and makes a naked escape that is like when Judau escaped from Haman's residence except not graceful, classy, cool, or even well thought out. HOW SHITTY IS YOUR REBEL FORCE WHEN A DOG AND A TOY ROBOT HAVE TO BAIL YOUR ACE PILOT OUT?

Then it is time for crazy times as Uso ESCAPES. HOW. WHERE. WHAT IN THE FUCK IS YOUR SECURITY DOING. Holy shit, I hate these Zanscare so, so so so so so fucking much. Haman Khan would've gutted them ALL on the spot for this shit. How do you let a naked, hand cuffed boy escape with the assistance of a dog and a toy? WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING? WHY DID NO ONE THINK TO GROUND HIS MECH? But there it is! Uso just up and escapes, somehow. And there's Katejina, completely forgetting that she was on Uso's side and oh, by the way, the closest thing to a motivation she has for what she's doing is still Cronicle's cock. Like seriously, if she's trying to be The Boss, I'm going to quit Gundam.

Then suddenly Victory 2 with laser angel wings years before Strike Freedom. And then Uso is pitching a bitch fit about how his mom sent the V2 (which, btw, is NOT stated on screen) and expecting everyone to know this (she doesn't even have the same last name!) and I don't know.

Even the fights are getting dumb because we're at the point in a Gundam show where people start shouting stuff at each other in a way that is thoroughly detached from reality and the plot itself while they try and clobber one another.

How are there still 20 episodes of this plodding bullshit?

Oh these are always fun.

So lets get some of the top stuff out of the way.

Aim for the top! Gunbuster
Armored Trooper Votoms
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Mobile Police Patlabor TV series (on television, whatever)
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Macross Plus

Those are pretty much best of the best in the genre although it really depends on what you are looking for.

So, I've been curious. What do you guys like about the Gundam franchise? What was the thing that pulled you in?

For me, it was a combination of the setting and politics, the space components, the dynamic of the cast. I wasn't initially drawn to the mechanical designs, though I certainly appreciated Zakus. As I watched more of the shows, I started enjoying the robot designs more and more

PhiLonius

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. TTGL is awesome and I finished Big O (Batman and tomatoes) not too long ago and thought it was pretty good. Patlabor has been on my list for awhile but I've yet to check it out. Some of those shows I've never even heard of but will try and check them out.

So, I've been curious. What do you guys like about the Gundam franchise? What was the thing that pulled you in?

For me, it was a combination of the setting and politics, the space components, the dynamic of the cast. I wasn't initially drawn to the mechanical designs, though I certainly appreciated Zakus. As I watched more of the shows, I started enjoying the robot designs more and more

I got into it with Wing on Toonami. Had never heard of Gundam beforehand but I remember my cousin not shutting up about it when she found out it was coming to the afternoon block. Then they kept showing the classic promo leading up to the premiere and it had my interest.

I was into it from probably that first episode when Wing Gundam is heading down to Earth. I was all in when Heero jumped out the window a few episodes later.

I don't think I was looking too much at war/politics within the story at the time. I just wanted to see cool looking robots slashing and blowing things up. Much different now though. As far as designs go, outside of Epyon and Wing Zero, nothing stood out to me until EW rolled around, with WZ, TGIII, and Heavyarms. Over the years I've come to appreciate designs more so a lot of suits have definitely grown on me.

Those toonami promos were so great. Peter Cullen was fantastic in those.

I love their First Gundam promo.

By the way, apparently Barnes and Noble are selling Gunpla in store. Just a few Wing MGs and a Gundam Unicorn kit, but that's still pretty neat.

CorvoSol

First and foremost the mechanical designs and battles. I got in with Wing, so that was what really drew me in first. UC I'll grant politics until we hit anything post Unicorn, at the which point I don't give a damn about the politics. Not even for Crossbone.

After mecha, it's the characters, I guess. If a Gundam series has a likeable cast (ZZ, MSG, G) then I'm bound to like it more than if it doesn't (Victory, AGE).

Beth Cyra

The designs.

That and Treize taking a bath in Roses, loved him ever since.

I was/am a huge fan of Ufo Robo Grendizer, Getter Robo G and several other Super Robots and Gundam is one of the few Real style robots I could get into. Luckily I watched Wing first and it shared many elements from stuff like Getter and Gren, otherwise I might have just skipped over Gundam completely.

Aizo

Banned
guys who would win in a fight? kira yamato vs heero yuy?????

Kira would pull some BS, and win magically, after it looks as if he lost.

That's what he did in the episode I watched today.

Gundam Seed - 20-21
How did he take control of the Gundam with his Jesus powers after it ran out of power?
They say he's special because he's a "berserker."
My love for you is like a truck, berserker!

Bullshit.

Edit: Why isn't Cagalli the love interest? She is the superior, important main character.

duckroll

It'll be a stalemate. Heero will spend the entire fight repeating over and over that he will kill Kira, but never actually do it, while Kira spends the entire fight shouting about how he doesn't want to kill anyone. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Bombless

Top wo Nerae

Watched Top wo Nerae on The Baroness' recommendation a while ago, I really enjoyed it. Got The Big O in the queue once I'm done with a few other shows.

As for SEED 20-21 :

Running out of power just shuts off the Phase Shift armour and every energy based weapon. The knives and vulcans can still work. Also this episode is where my waifu gets killed :( Cagalli will be explained later.

I knew the franchise before but I came to Gundam with SEED. Always loved Sci-fi and well, an anime that does not hesitate to kill characters and have some pretty gruesome moments was refreshing.
Yzak shooting the shuttle in cold blood, JOSH-A, the Panama massacre etc.
Politics, tech, mechs, romance and Jesus himself, what's there not to like?

Also the SEED soundtrack is fucking glorious.

Aizo

Banned
Oh, I'm interested now that you two say it's actually explained.
Also, yes, the Seed OST is ear phantasmagoria.

CorvoSol

Kira wins even when he's fighting people who are better than him, like Athrun, so he'll beat Heero by being Jesus.

It'll be a stalemate. Heero will spend the entire fight repeating over and over that he will kill Kira, but never actually do it, while Kira spends the entire fight shouting about how he doesn't want to kill anyone. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

And in the background Flit is whining about wanting to be the Savior while murdering space-jews and Setsuna is rambling about Guh Nudms whilst eating paste.

Then Domon shows up and that's the end of it all.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 35

First scene with Chronicle Asher he is shown with his mask only half way on and, mid sentence, he decides to pull it all the way up.
Only to then pull it off again, mid sentence, further into the episode. I'm convinced the show is just messing with me at this point.

The LM comes up with a completely ridiculous plan to plant bombs within a Zanscare ship that could have possibly cost them the life of their best pilot and their best MS. But of course it works.

Shakti continues to be fairly incompetent and Brandas slides down a rail.

Beth Cyra

Hand to hand? Heero would crush Kira. Heero is even stated by Doctor J as being the perfect Soldier and it's been hinted at Heero was messed with on a genetic level. Not to mention his tolerance to pain is off the charts.

Wing Vs Strike? Strike. Kira can adapt very quickly and the various packs give him a huge advantage. The Buster Rifle only has three shots and like most Skilled pilots, Kira won't get caught by such a slow weapon. This and the TBR suffer the same problem as Twin Sat Canon, they are really useless in a fight against and ace.

Wing Gundam Zero Vs Freedom/Strike Freedom? Much closer, Kira still takes it. Zero System 1.0 would balance out the New Type abilities, however even with that and the crazy amount of protection with Gundanium, Strike Freedom is just far, far more versitale.

Snow White Vs Strike Freedom? Snow White handles this easily. The increased weaponry of the Seven Dwarves plus all the other Weapons, Nano Cloak, and increased armor of Mad Gundanium means Strike Freedom doesn't have a chance. Combine that with the brand new Zero System 3.0 (or whatever they call it now) which is right 100% of the time and you take what was a fairly even match before (Zero Vs SF) and completely make it one sided.

Seriously people who think OOq got crazy jump over OO Raiser, well Snow White is equal to that for Wing Gundam Zero (which many already considered way over powered) if not worse. The worst part is the thing still hasn't even really been revealed, so it could get even more freaking crazy.

Pfffft you guys haven't even seen what they've done to Wing.

We talking Frozen or Wing Gundam in Build Fighters?

Beth Cyra

Well that depends, does Wing from Frozen Teardrop seem like it would fit perfectly in with the cast of G Gundam?

Haha I would say so. Nothing short of God Gundam or Turn A are even on Snow White's level right now.

Add to that the Trump Names are being reused here and all the various Princess/ Fairy Tell names and elements being used, yeah G Gundam was most certainly something that inspired it.

Hell Warlock can create something like 100 images of itself, which is right out of Spiegel's playbook.

Beth Cyra

Yep. Heero may be able to tank shots from Libra's beam cannons, but he can't tank Kira's Jesus Hax
Haha, if we are going to take Hax power into account then Kira would even school Judau in Turn A despite being one of if not the most powerful newtype to ever live and piloting the most powerful MS ever.

Can't really blame Heero on losing this one.

CorvoSol

Haha I would say so. Nothing short of God Gundam or Turn A are even on Snow White's level right now.

Add to that the Trump Names are being reused here and all the various Princess/ Fairy Tell names and elements being used, yeah G Gundam was most certainly something that inspired it.

Hell Warlock can create something like 100 images of itself, which is right out of Spiegel's playbook.

Domon Kasshu in the King of Hearts was supposed to be really broken.

The real question is, who is more powerful: Jesus or the Devil?

CorvoSol

Just reading about Cronicle makes me sick to my stomach.

Also I finished School Days. Don't watch it. Don't let Corvo's amazing rants deceive you.

You sell yourself short. Your own amazing rants are as alluring as my own were, no doubt. Especially your understanding of the value of the knife.

PhiLonius

The real question is, who is more powerful: Jesus or the Devil?

Lacus Clyne.

Just reading about Cronicle makes me sick to my stomach.

Also I finished School Days. Don't watch it. Don't let Corvo's amazing rants deceive you.

I remember catching the mask during my first watch, but on this second go through it stands out so much more.

And SD is awesome, but one of those shows you can really only stand to watch once.

CorvoSol

I dunno if Lacus and Jesus could beat the Devil. The Devil can only be defeated by the power of True Love, and I'm not sure that's the nature of Lacus and Kira's relationship. Kira's love, sure, but is love still true if one-sided?

Beth Cyra

I dunno if Lacus and Jesus could beat the Devil. The Devil can only be defeated by the power of True Love, and I'm not sure that's the nature of Lacus and Kira's relationship. Kira's love, sure, but is love still true if one-sided?
Jesus doesn't need love when he has the entirity of Japan supporting him. That which rules all would have Kira own anything that isn't Amuro Ray.

I'm not entirely sure either Kira or Lacus really cares about the other person. I didn't see one damn scene in Seed or Destiny that suggested they were actually in love. Are they are couple? Yes. But that is because they are both power hungry. Kira needs Lacus' people skills to sway the public since he has such a crummy personality himself. And Lacus' needs Kira's ubermensch abilities to slaughter literally everyone who disagrees with her.

CorvoSol

I'm not entirely sure either Kira or Lacus really cares about the other person. I didn't see one damn scene in Seed or Destiny that suggested they were actually in love. Are they are couple? Yes. But that is because they are both power hungry. Kira needs Lacus' people skills to sway the public since he has such a crummy personality himself. And Lacus' needs Kira's ubermensch abilities to slaughter literally everyone who disagrees with her.

I would give them the scene in Destiny where they're parting before all that space stuff as one which showed they cared about one another. I admit I had never before considered that Kira might be using Lacus, since Lacus seems to be the master of this whole operation, you know.

Not like Loran and Dianna, where Dianna used Loran like no other, but at the same time she definitely felt for him.

Exactly. Loran and Dianna definitely had a master-servant relationship going on, but at least Dianna is a good Queen that loves her subjects, unlike Lacus.

CorvoSol

Exactly. Loran and Dianna definitely had a master-servant relationship going on, but at least Dianna is a good Queen that loves her subjects, unlike Lacus.

Pretty sure that Loran also liked being submissive. He was that way in most of his relationships, but when Guin abused that point, boy did he pay for it.

Are Victory and Turn A both pretty much written by Tomino? How come one is so shit while the other is so amazing?

You sell yourself short. Your own amazing rants are as alluring as my own were, no doubt. Especially your understanding of the value of the knife.
Thanks! I'm glad someone read my rambling. Even better if it was actually fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom