• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wubby

The number is a name pun. III = san, so it's Bearguy-san. :p

Argh I should have caught that. I still want a II!

Speaking of odd Japanese puns the address at my new office is 3939 (サンキューサンキュー)

Aizo

Banned

What a grateful address you have.

I'm not sure what the product code is for because I've never played Gundam Breaker. I don't really get the mechanics. I'll send you the code, though.

CorvoSol

I hate myself so much for getting this. Am I so far gone that these puns I can understand after only a moment's thought? I'm such a weeb now.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 32

New OP/ED, same old show.

I really need a good explanation for Chronicle's balaclava. At the beginning of the show it's mentioned he wears it because of allergies within Earth's atmosphere, yet we've seen him wear it several times since the story has gone into space. He had gone several episodes without it but now, not only does it randomly pop back up, but he doesn't even have it all the way on.

These adults have zero problems throwing kids into suits/battle.

same old show.

Fuck.

ALL ABOARD THE CRONICLE HATE TRAIN!
GundamGAF Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 32

Some new stupid fucking mobile armor appears and it's so stupid that even Chronicdick Asher is amazed at how fucking stupid that god-damned piece of shit is. The guy responsible for piloting it is a mass of sub-human filth as well.

GoFi3nb.jpg

Meanwhile Jinn Gehemann sleeps in the Captain's seat. If only Bright knew what kind of pissants would take his role after 70 years of heavy degeneration he would have helped Char do that thing in CCA.

Odelo drifts into an enemy spaceship and also he doesn't have his seatbelt on so he snaps his neck and starts foaming out of his mouth. Uso wraps some paper coated in shit to his mouth and that fixes Odelo.

In a "surprising" turn of events the battle against Zanscare's Stupid Fucking Thing That Doesn't Do A God Damned Thing It's Supposed To is won and we go on to send Oliver's ashes to the space.

Ugh, I don't know if I can do it you guys. Every time I watch this show I get depressed in a way I don't like. I want to watch Cronicle burn in a vat of burning acid. Nearly every major character is so bland and every new character is introduced only to have them killed off in the same episode. I used to care about Uso wanting to find his parents, whatever the fuck Shakti was doing and Katejina seemed like she could be Kihel levels of awesome but instead she became an infinitely worse Reccoa.
The enemy suits vary from horrifyingly ugly to horrifyingly stupid and ugly. The music is repetitive. I don't even know where the plot is going. I don't know why the hell I should root for LM. I don't care about any single event or character. It's just a blur of colors that desperately lacks shading that's flashing before my eyes for 20 minutes.
This is worse than SEED Destiny.

I feel terrible for saying we should pick Victory for the Rewatch thingy.

PhiLonius

Some new stupid fucking mobile armor appears and it's so stupid that even Chronicdick Asher is amazed at how fucking stupid that god-damned piece of shit is. The guy responsible for piloting it is a mass of sub-human filth as well.

I knew I forgot something in my post. How is that thing even feasible?

This is worse than SEED Destiny.

As we've been doing this rewatch I keep thinking this. AGE is firmly cemented at the bottom for sure, but the further this goes on the more I'm reminded of why I didn't like it much the first go round and how close it manages to being that bad. And we still have the Shakti/Queen stuff coming up.

CorvoSol

I'm only halfway through Victory and it definitely goes near the bottom for me. This show is so bad.

My new arrangement would have to be thus, from least to worst:

SEED Destiny
Gundam 00 S1
Victory Gundam
Stardust Memory
Gundam AGE
Gundam 00 S2 and Movie.

I should note that SEED Destiny is spared so much from me because it was my 2nd Gundam show, so I kinda have this weird nostalgia for it. SRWZ2 has drastically improved my feelings toward 00 S1, Victory is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Stardust Memory is amazing because it is 1/4 the length of a regular Gundam series and still TERRIBLE. AGE is so bad, and I've voiced my opinion of 00's 2nd season and Movie.

If I had to say which series I was definitely cool with now, I think I'd go thus:

G Gundam
Turn A Gundam
ZZ Gundam
Crossbone
MSG
Wing
Zeta
SEED

G remains my favorite series in the whole franchise, and Turn A was just a really lovely series. ZZ is my favorite UC and felt so much better than Zeta (I'm weird, I know.) MSG was great and also before Char sucked. Crossbone is amazing. Wing for those sexy designs. Zeta at least gave me Kamille, but man I got so sick of the Katz and Fa show. And SEED, well, I like the Freedom and I think Athrun is aight.

Gundam movies are always huge disappointments to me. EW had sexy designs, but man, I mean, that plot and that ending especially were so dumb even 13 year old me thought that. F91 should've been its own series. A Wakening of the Trailblazer is cancer, and Char's Counterattack is so, ugh. Every time I think about CCA I just get mad. It has a great set up, with Amuro and Char fighting one last time, but the hackneyed meteor plot, Fucking Quess Paraya and Hathaway Noa and Fucking Quess Paraya, and the neck-break plot. Fights were awesome, but man, that movie is such a mess.

Ezalc

I have begun once more my watch of Zeta at the horribly slow pace that I was going before of basically one episode a day. I'm on episode 12 now.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 33

As the show has made its way back to Earth, I kept expecting that at any moment Shakti would say "Uso, lets go back to Kassarelia."

Katejina manages to
dodge death yet again, this time by somehow surviving an orbital entry in just her mobile suit
. She also tells Uso he is "unlovable" which is laughably ironic.

Zanscare blows up an underwater city, Queen Maria has got a cult of followers drinking the Motherly Kool-Aid™ even on Earth, Shakti gets herself and Karlmann kidnapped yet again, and that snake mobile armor reappears and is still shit. Also Chronicle ditches the mask yet again.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Seed - 19
I thought this city was breathtaking.
This episode showed a lot of stunning architecture. I was quite intrigued.
I find that most of the characters are fine, but all the interactions between Kira and Flay are very distracting and unbelievable. It's just this weird melodrama that goes on for the sake of melodrama.
We also got to see the precursor to the Turn A.

CorvoSol

Victory Gundam 27

Katejina, who has no combat experience to speak of, can go toe to toe with Marbet, a career soldier? Fuck this. Fuck Katejina. I mean really, who cares about this ridiculous space feminism that's going on anyway? Thank the God of Mecha that all record of these horrible people is forever erased when the Turn A rains hot fire on them and their descendants. I mean really, I've some how come to hate UC, and I blame this show. Holy crap what an awful show this is.

Chinner

Banned
just started my first gunpla. harder than it looks, the devil is in the detail innit. all i can say is, need a even smaller tip pen and paint brush.

Chinner

Banned
Is it difficult for a duck to construct Gunpla?

by saying its harder than it looks doesnt mean its actually difficult, it just means that its harder than it looks! construction is easy, just painting is a little more challenging when you don't have the right equipment at hand.

also i don't have hands so keep that in consideration.

Aizo

Banned
May I request Gunpla collection photos?
All I've got where I'm living now is the Garma's Zaku II. Just finished it last night, but it needs paint.
Not that my former residence has many more... just an Infinite Justice with custom colors, and a Banshee.

Anyway, show me your gunpla, please!

CorvoSol

All I've got where I'm living now is the Garma's Zaku II. Just finished it last night, but it needs paint.
Not that my former residence has many more... just an Infinite Justice with custom colors, and a Banshee.

I only have a Strike Freedom, and it is at home. On the other hand, I also have the ARX-7 Arbalest and the ARX-8 Laevatein, which are my favorite mechs like, ever.

Speaking of hobbies I need to make time for...

I haven't actually done any, but I did pick up a couple of HG's to use as sort of a learning experience.

Finally got my copy of Gundam: The Origin Volume 3 today. So far it's my favorite volume. The way they handled the Garma Funeral Speech was outstanding.

FOUR pages dedicated to people chanting "Sieg Zeon"? Powerful stuff right there. Really captured the terror the White Base crew was feeling as they watched that speech.

CorvoSol

Victory Gundam 28

So much bullshit in this episode. Like seriously, let me count the ways.

-Junko Jenko, babe extraordinaire is dead. I should really just quit the series because now Oliver has #YOKO written clear across his head.
-Did I mention Junko is dead? Who cares because now Oliver and Marbet are getting married and making babies in a concentration camp.
-Uso acting like the most insanely jealous baby. It made me laugh, but only because Uso continues to be the biggest loser among UC Gundam protagonists imaginable. He's only saved from being the biggest loser in Victory by the fact that Cronicle Asher exists and is the worst Char Aznable this series has ever produced, Bushido and Zeheart included.
-Did I mention yet that, of all the Spacer Empires, the Zanscare has got to be the least most intelligent? Seriously they have to run on a combination of nepotism and stupidity alone. How else does CRONICLE ASHER GET PROMOTED.
-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK KATEJINA SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH.
-No never mind the Federation is going to defeat the Zanscare and here is why:

Remember how I hate Mobile Armors because they're expensive, stupid, gimmicky mini bosses that without fail lose in their first encounters with a Gundam? So the Zanscare are like the Zeon in that regard, except the Zeon knew how to build fucking Mobile Suits. The Zaku and the Gouf were motherfuckers who would take your mother on a charming date, comfort her after your dad had died, and then fuck the gravity out of her.

Not so with Zanscare MSes. These fucking people. THESE FUCKING PEOPLE. It isn't enough you built MOTORCYCLE MSes, you built GIANT WHEEL MSes THAT ROTATE THEIR WHEELS TO DRIVE IN SPACE. I don't even want to THINK about how much money went into developing a wheel that could drive a ship through space. It's just insane. These people are backward in a way that the Moon Moon would never be. They're FUCKING INSANE.

-A random ass truck with no named driver that is discarded immediately thereafter in a place where no one should be driving DURING AN AIR RAID trips Uso up. I've seen some ham fisted plot devices BUT CUT ME A FUCKING BREAK, TOMINO. Even Uso can't believe that bullshit.

This is the 28th episode of V. Do you know what went down in the 28th episode of ZZ? Haman Khan witnessed first hand the sheer terror and rage Judau could pull out as he beat the shit out of her subordinates, and humiliated the Earth Federation. Puru
tried to kill Leina so she could have Judau to herself.
That shit was REAL.

What happens in episode 28 of V Gundam? Uso acts like a baby while Marbet gets married and then suddenly Katejina is there and an ace pilot FUCK YOU LOUISE HALLEVY YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT.

I know I said I'd give Victory a fair shake, so in the interest of being fare, the music and the combat remain quite nice. But the writing cannot hide behind that at all. Especially not when the otherwise okay fight gets interrupted by a truck of plot advancement.

Man, how does Junko die and fucking Shakti and Karlman are still alive?

PhiLonius

Rewatching Victory was worth it just for your posts Corvo. Every time you come with an update, all I can think is you haven't even gotten to ___ yet, just wait. If you thought the wheels and cycles were crazy MA's or that Shakti/Katejina/Asher couldn't get any worse, just wait.

Victory Gundam 28
and then suddenly Katejina is there and an ace pilot FUCK YOU LOUISE HALLEVY YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT.

I lost it right here.

CorvoSol

Marbet doesn't belong in this show. I'm convinced that her character got lost on the way to a better Gundam series. It's all that makes sense here. No way would someone with that much personality and charisma belong in VICTORY GUNDAM.

Just finished The Origin Volume 3

10/10 volume right there. Definitely my favorite Volume so far. A perfect mix of new content and retelling. Ramba Ral was, as always, great here and I like they played up his family's connection with Zeon Deikun here, especially with stuff like
Dozle sending Ral on the Revenge Mission as a sort of punishment/test of Ral's loyalty due to being a Deikun loyalist

Loved the new stuff with Char as well.

And as I mentioned before, the Garma funeral was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom