• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Just rewatched the GBWC trailer again and noticed Bandai/Sunrise have no sacred horses in this show.

Wing Gundam got it's head kicked off and Freedom (didn't realize this my first time through) gets chopped in half. This actually makes me super excited to see where it goes.

Also Red Wing>>>>>>Wing TV in color scheme. That pose is also very sexy.

Also it took what 17 years? And a brand new pilot, but Wing FINALLY got a proper Gundam Launch.

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters 1

Kid's mom is hot.

God DAMN the mechs are hot.

Music is hot.

HOT HOT HOT.

Fuck you Gargantia and Valvrape, there's a new Mecha show in town. Goddamn. I'm loving the Turn A stuff, and the Wing stuff. This and Unicorn restore my faith in modern Gundam.

HOLY SHIT IT'S
RAMBA RAL
! WHAT THE HELL!? Best Gundam show since Unicorn confirmed.

Show was super DTL, there, but I'm saying that Reiji is actually the ghost of the kid's dad. Because what country is so foreign that it doesn't have soda but still has kids named Reiji?

Dresden

Gundam Build Fighters 1

Show was super DTL, there, but I'm saying that Reiji is actually the ghost of the kid's dad. Because what country is so foreign that it doesn't have soda but still has kids named Reiji?

He's clearly from an alternate dimension where Gundams are real and soda is not. Hoping for a Last Starfighter twist.

Build Fighters has won me over. The premise is OK for what it is, and the brazenness of the advertising is a little refreshing (I appreciate that there's no pretense of the show being deeper than it really is). And the fights are great. I really hope that red Wing Gundam or another Messala shows up down the line.

Hot damn was that a fun pilot episode. 720p streaming over the PS3 via the YouTube app looks really nice.

I really hope Mr. Ral sticks around, that was a nice little cameo. Also, is this supposed to take place in the same universe at Gunpla Builders?

Skylanders-esque Gundam game incoming.

This already kinda exists in Japan. There are arcade machines that use SD Gundam gashapon figures embedded with computer chips.

CorvoSol

He's clearly from an alternate dimension where Gundams are real and soda is not. Hoping for a Last Starfighter twist.

So . . . Turn A Gundam?

Hell yeah.

This episode made me remember why I love Gundam. Victory nearly managed to kill it for me.

Oh I know. I can't even get myself through full episodes of Victory Gundam right now. Like, all I'm watching that isn't on a "wait one week for next episode" basis is Victory Gundam, Inferno Cop, and the last few episodes of Attack on Titan.

So outside Inferno Cop, I got nothin.

PhiLonius

Hell yeah.

This episode made me remember why I love Gundam. Victory nearly managed to kill it for me.

Speak of the devil. With Build Fighters and Kill la Kill having started, and best show of all time Valvrave starting again soon, I want to get this Victory watch out of the way asap. Going to watch a few episodes at a time to speed things along.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 38

Mustachioed motorcycle dude is reintroduced, along with his love interest, basically signaling their approaching demise. We last see them riding a Harley into a forest.

Episode 39

Another awesome Zanscare plan - fly their suits into the enemy to secure a win. Uso kills a man who is fighting to raise his family on Earth.

Which he could have done by simply not fighting.

Shakti sings a song.

Episode 40

The bells!!! OMFG how did I forget about this stupidity.

Another mobile armor/suit/thing created by Zanscare that flies high in the sky, has a long range rifle, a base jabber type component, and gives its enemies headaches, literally. And it can't hit a stationary object.

Uso meets the family of the man he killed. Takes them to the grave. He then attempts to ditch Shakti in Kassarelia before he heads back into space, but she literally latches onto the side of the White Ark, baby in tow.

Gundam Build Fighters Episode 1

Yes. YES!!!!

God damn that was cool. I know a few people were skeptical, but I'm already won over. That whole episode was just so damn cool. Sei seems like he's going to be a pretty fun protagonist. Reiji is pretty cool too. I loved the post credits scene.

Just a lot of fun. One episode in and it's already packed full of nods to the franchise. This show is going to be a love. If the entire show is as high quality as this, I'll be extremely happy.

Sei's mom is the milfiest mom in the franchise.

My only complaints: Sei's main gunpla is based on that piece of shit Strike. Hopefully he lets Reiji use other models, or their midseason upgrade isn't Seed-related.

I'm loving the nod towards "Who will survive."

Build Fighter Gundam 1

Wish Sei/Sunrise made a Exia or 00 Gundam version instead of Strike but w/e.

Really liked the episode and Sei's dad is awesome because he married a MILF that is Sei's mom. Not to mention he piloted the RX-78 as his main Gundam Fighter.

Wonder if Sei and Reiji partnership will last for long. Sei wants to fight on his own eventually I'm sure. Would be nice if we get Sei vs Reiji 30 episodes down the line.

Not happy about Zero being reduced to fodder to a freaking Gyan but Freedom getting owned made up for that.

Jubern

This was really fun. Like a lot of people I didn't want this series, but I can see the appeal and the first episode was definitely good. Looking forward to next week :)

Beth Cyra

Build Fighter Gundam 1

Wish Sei/Sunrise made a Exia or 00 Gundam version instead of Strike but w/e.

Really liked the episode and Sei's dad is awesome because he married a MILF that is Sei's mom. Not to mention he piloted the RX-78 as his main Gundam Fighter.

Wonder if Sei and Reiji partnership will last for long. Sei wants to fight on his own eventually I'm sure. Would be nice if we get Sei vs Reiji 30 episodes down the line.

Not happy about Zero being reduced to fodder to a freaking Gyan but Freedom getting owned made up for that.

That was just Wing.

Still every Wing fan should be supper happy overall. Wing got alot of love, Sei was totally gushing over Wing and despite Wing's destruction it was the final Gunpla shown during the GBC trailer as well as this could lead directly into Wing Gundam Fience.

Weirdly desite my dislike of SEED, I'm okay with the Build Strike. My biggest issue was the god awful backpacks like the Aile Strike, so this is a definite step up.

CorvoSol

Fucktory Shitdamn 35

There's so much wrong with this episode I won't bore you with the gory details. But seriously, how fucking awful of a leader/character/military man can Chumpticle Asser really be? I mean, it's gone to the point where even if his role in the plot was meant to deconstruct Char, it's absurd. He's so fucking worthless.

Fatass bastard sits in his fucking chair drinking juice boxes like he's two years old while his bitch does his fighting for him. She tells him they've got a Gundam. He tells her to ignore it and shrugs off even the thought of inquiring how the fuck the got it.

IT IS THE LATEST AND MOST POWERFUL GUNDAM IN THE KNOWN REGIONS. Using it would sew confusion among your enemies and grant you an inarguable advantage against those LM punks. IT'S A FUCKING GUNDAM. IT KICKS YOUR ASS AT EVERY ENCOUNTER AND INEVITABLY DESTROYS YOUR STUPID AS FUCK MOBILE ARMORS.

But because it doesn't have a wheel, no way can we use it! Oh, and also how about his battle plan: As long as I rely on my enemies unwillingness to KILL ME WITH NUCLEAR FIRE I am sure to win!

WAY TO FUCKING GO SHIT ASUKA.

HEIL ZANSCARE!? WHEN THE FUCK DID THE ZANSCARE BECOME FUCKING GERMAN SPACE NAZIS. THEY AREN'T THE ZEON OR EVEN CLOSE TO THEM. HOLY SHIT NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. THIS IS ALL WRONG.

FUCK YOU TOMINO YOU PIECE OF SHIT HACK WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

CorvoSol

That was quite spirited of you, Corvo ;D

I had meant to say very little at all.

But honestly the more I watch and think about it, the angrier I get. Why can't all Gundam shows be on the quality level of MSG and ZZ at the very least? I'm not asking Turn A, G, WitP quality of these people. Hell, just hit the quality of Wing and SEED and we'll be okay.

But AGEtory Gundam and its ilk are the worst of this franchise.

Chinner

Banned
i watched gundam 0080 as someone recommended in the gundam builders thread. really liked it, the animation and characters were good (bernard is david hayer ;o) and i liked its realistic approach violence and stuff - very 80s.

might check out Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory next.

I actually haven't watched it in years so I can't remember anything about it. As far as I am aware though no one ever said anything positive about 0083, and quiet a lot to the contrary.

Chinner

Banned
yeah the person who said it was in that anime look thread, said it had good animation. i guess thats the only positive, then?

is it bad huh? should i watch gundam age i hear duckroll thinks of it pretty highly...

well i just finished watching wing and ive a little bit into gundam seed. how about we watch gundam age as duckroll seems to rate it pretty highly.

I'm on to you...

Watch it anyway! It's the best series of Gundam, Flit is an amzing protagonist who has nothing wrong with him at all! Hino should write every series of Gundam!
I feel bad for writing that... :/

Watchable (in production order)

First, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, 0080, F91, 0083
Victory (though I guess most people disagree with me on this)
G, X, Turn A, Stargazer, 00, Unicorn, Gunpla Builders, Gundam Build Fighters (So far)

Unwatchable
Seed, Seed Destiny, Igloo, Igloo 2

Ambivalent
08th MS Team (Through most people disagree with me on this), AGE, Wing + Endless Waltz

Beth Cyra

Watchable (in production order)

First, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, 0080, F91, 0083
Victory (though I guess most people disagree with me on this)
G, X, Turn A, Stargazer, 00, Unicorn, Gunpla Builders, Gundam Build Fighters (So far)

Unwatchable
Seed, Seed Destiny, Igloo, Igloo 2

Ambivalent
08th MS Team (Through most people disagree with me on this), AGE, Wing + Endless Waltz

Jesus only ZZ and UC I can agree on.

SEED/Wing/EW/ZZ and UC are the only ones that are hold any value at all to me.

CorvoSol

I posted in another thread, but mine skews thus:

Watch:

MSG, ZZ Gundam, Unicorn, Turn A, G, Wing, SEED, War in the Pocket, 08th MS, Build Fighters.

Don't Watch:

00 S2, Victory, AGE, SEED Destiny, Stardust Memory

Ambivalent:

Zeta, CCA, F91, and Endless Waltz.

Beth Cyra

I posted in another thread, but mine skews thus:

Watch:

MSG, ZZ Gundam, Unicorn, Turn A, G, Wing, SEED, War in the Pocket, 08th MS, Build Fighters.

Don't Watch:

00 S2, Victory, AGE, SEED Destiny, Stardust Memory

Ambivalent:

Zeta, CCA, F91, and Endless Waltz.

I have a hard time saying watch Build Fighters this early. No doubt episode 1 was great, but that can easily change going forward.

Wing had the most unique and awesome first 3 eps in the franchise and some of the best in anime period, sadly this didn't hold up at all.

My one:

Watch:

MSG, ZZ Gundam, 0080, G, Wing, X, Turn A, Unicorn, Gunpla Builders, Build Fighters (so far)

Don't Watch:

Ambivalent:

Zeta, CCA, F91, Victory, Endless Waltz

Haven't Watched:

8th MS Team, 0083, Igloo 1/2, SEED, Destiny, 00 S1/S2

Beth Cyra

My one:

Watch:

MSG, ZZ Gundam, 0080, G, Wing, X, Turn A, Unicorn, Gunpla Builders, Build Fighters (so far)

Don't Watch:

Ambivalent:

Zeta, CCA, F91, Victory, Endless Waltz

Haven't Watched:

8th MS Team, 0083, Igloo 1/2, SEED, Destiny, 00 S1/S2
Got to get on that SEED and Destiny. Music is amaaaaazing.

Anyone know what the reception of Build Fighters has been in Japan so far? It seems like pretty much everyone on here enjoyed the first episode quite a bit, and it seems like /m/ has fully embraced it as well. But MAL users are tearing it apart.

Hey hey I want to do it as well!

Must watch:
MSG, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn, F91, Turn A, 00 S1

You might want to watch:
SEED, 08th MS Team, 00 S2 (honestly the end of 00 S1 feels very final and is one of my favorites, the decision to go on to S2 rests on your shoulders)

NEVER WATCH:
SEED Destiny, Victory, 00 movie with any audio other than the soundtrack

Sadly I haven't seen every series like other guys here but eh. G, Wing and ZZ seem to be the biggest ones I'm missing but honestly I'm more interested in AGE.
Nah, I'm kidding. I mean X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom