• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Who the hell thinks Fa is the worst? Why?
I mainly want to watch ZZ for more Fa action.

For me the worst has to be Katejina. How low of a self esteem must one have to suck up to Prince Incompetent Moron, his excellence Sir Cronicle Dafthair the Third? Katejina's character wouldn't be redeemed even if she died a million deaths to save the protagonist no one cares about.

Fa was bad in Zeta. It wasn't until ZZ that she improved. She's saved from being the worst woman in Zeta by the fact that Sarah and Reccoa are around, but she's pale compared to Rosammy and Haman.

The worst woman though? Hmmmmm. Louise Halevvy, no doubt. I mean, she was bad in 00, but Nena Trinity was there to be worse. In Victory she's just awful.

Usso is one of my favorite protagonists. I love how inventive he is in battle

Yeah, it was so creative how he totally ran into that disappearing reappearing truck and got caught by the Zanscare. Then he bit that lady's boobs. Uso's a regular MacGyver among Gundamtagonists.

Beth Cyra

It has finally happened, X will receive it's first MG.

Gundam X is launching in Jan. Really cheap to at 3800 yen. As far as we can tell it's a straight TV version. No revisions or alterations.

MG Astray Red Frame and MG Astray Noir are also set for Jan.

HGUC V2 is looking pretty good, it will be nice to pick him up to go along with V. Got to say yet another Strike is really burning me out, I mean come on Build Strike is the new lead of the new show, and you already released Strike RM and Perfect Strike this year. The only question left is if they will have it be a SEED High Grade or insert this into the HGUC Line like the rest of the All Gundam Project.

Brand Nwe SD Nu Gundam based on the Ver Ka. Will pick it up and box up the Ni Nu.

Buckle up, homestuck. You're gonna have to endure her bullshit for quite a while.

Some people think Fa or Reccoa are the worst female characters in the franchise. Others think Nina is. Some even think Shakti is. For me, it's Flay. God damn Flay.

Can't say I disagree.
Not to mention her demise gets waaaaaaaay more time than it deserves.

Articalys

From the Sunrise panel at New York Comic Con:

https://twitter.com/Kloacy/status/388711666579681280
Gundam series overview plays at the Sunrise panel. Clapping and cheering for series until AGE. Just silence.
Also:
So next year... 3 Gundam productions next year including Unicorn 7. They also briefly mentioned Origin and something with Tomino.

Always at least one question about Turn A. About possible streaming on gundaminfo. Short answer: Maaaaybe...
X and Victory are also still unlikely in the forseeable future.

CorvoSol

Can't say I disagree.
Not to mention her demise gets waaaaaaaay more time than it deserves.

I'm not a fan of Flay, but she's so likeable compared to scum of the earth like Reccoa, Beltachika, Sarah, Shakti, Katejina, Stella, Louise Halevvy, Nena Trinity, Nena Trinity in the movie, and also the "women" in AGE it isn't even funny. At least Flay had the good sense to
die. What's Shatki's excuse?

From the Sunrise panel at New York Comic Con:

https://twitter.com/Kloacy/status/388711666579681280

Also:

1)LOLOLOL I love that everyone hates AGE. Designs were shit, characters were shit, show was shit. So good.

2)Thank God Victory isn't likely in the future. Fewer people need to watch this.

The popular saying goes "There are no women in Gundam AGE".

Girard Spriggan, Girard Spriggan, Girard Spriggan...

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - Episode 8-11

Once again more melodrama about protecting people and Athrun not getting it. You know he could just...not fight Kira, it's not like he wants to battle Athrun or anything, I'm sure there are other people in the Earth Forces he could be fighting or something. At least Lacus puts in a nice word for Kira so I guess that's something.

Flay got incredibly creepy in Episode 11. I thought she was going to rip Kira to shreds but instead has this weird creepy plan about using him to kill all Coordinators or something. That girl is messed up in the head. Although
not nearly as badly as Katejina!

Not much else really happened but Flay remains a constant annoyance. Next episode she gets to make a big decision!

SoulFist

Hey guys. I think I want to try building a gundam model, but it seems a little intimidating for someone who's never done any kind of model building. Are there any beginner kits you guys would recommend? The easier the better. Thanks in advance.

Compared to building models like airplanes and cars, Gunpla is easy as heck. No glue or paint is required (though they certainly help to make the finished product look good).

If you want something easy, I guess go with an HG(high grade) kit. My first kit was the RG (real grade) Char Custom Zaku II, and it wasn't too bad just time consuming. If you are going to go with an HG kit, I recommend pretty much anything made after 2006. Anything before that is a crap shoot in terms of quality.

I guess avoid something with a lot of gimmicks, like transforming. They can complicate things. Which series/mobile suit do you want to focus on?

Edit: Make sure you use these to remove the pieces from the trays.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 43

Uso just threw away about 5 top and bottom V2 parts.

Really, everybody does something borderline insane during this episode, but one thing in particular stood out to me.

Are there any decent father characters in a Gundam series?

Seems like the ones that were even remotely half-decent wound up dead early and the rest are shitty parents or just not there.

CorvoSol

Episode 43

Uso just threw away about 5 top and bottom V2 parts.

Really, everybody does something borderline insane during this episode, but one thing in particular stood out to me.

Are there any decent father characters in a Gundam series?

Seems like the ones that were even remotely half-decent wound up dead early and the rest are shitty parents or just not there.

Both Master Asia and Dr. Kasshu were good fathers. Dr. Mikamura is also not a bad father
though he is a horrible human and friend
. Uzumi Athha seemed like an okay dude, too. Bright was a great dad
to everyone's kids but his own.
Most good dads meet bad ends, tho.

AGEtory Gundam 38

Honestly at this point I only know that the Zanscare are the bad guys because they're employing Chumpicle Asser and Bitchijina Loser. Otherwise, I wouldn't know because what these people are fighting over is a complete fucking mystery. What even is the Zanscare platform? Like, Zeon were for spacer independence, Cosmo Babylonia for aristocracy, and Jovians for the subjugation of Earth for materials. Zanscare is to promote the wheel?

Odelo wants to handle Ms. Marbet's body if things get too tiresome for her. Olha olha!

SHOW ME YOUR BIKING DREAM, SIR! WE SHOULD KILL PEOPLE SO WE CAN RIDE MOTORCYCLES

"Your lips! I can help you wet them!"
"Not right now."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL SHUT DOWN ODELOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I swear half the things that Uso says have no-HOLY SHIT BLADES ON A WHEEL OH MY SWEET GOD OF MECHA THESE ZANSCARE ARE PLAYING FOR KEEPS NOW THEY PUT SWORDS IN WHEELS! Has science gone too far!?

I will give 10 dollars to the man who can find a scene in this show where Karlman isn't trying to shit down Shakti's back. You can't do it. It can't be done. "We should focus on finding my sister who is in mortal peril!" "You're right, so instead let's chase Uso!"

You would think that it goes without saying that bicycles are not suited for flying, but as a proud member of the Zanscare Motorad Regiment of fucking idiots, Colonel Dumbfuck has to point out that these particular bikes are not suited for flying. This is a franchise that used to attempt to make an attempt at being scientifically believable. Now you better fucking buy my motorad toys or so help me there won't be another Gundam again.

HOLY SHIT FLANDERS FACE I CAN'T BREATHE OH DANG

They have a titanium finish Nu Gundam there and it looks spectacular. Too bad it'll cost a lot on top of the fact that it will be Bandai Shop exclusive.

I never liked the Sazabi but this model looks hot as all hell. Won't get it because it's huge and I'd have nowhere to display it but god damn it would be hella cool to have that and Nu duking it out on my shelf.

Enron

Banned
I bought the og MG Sazabi when it came out in 2000. It was a huge disappointment - like a giant HGUC kit instead of MG. This is LONG overdue.

duckroll

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/gunpla_buildfighters_special002.html
http://www.gundam-try.com/news/build33.html
http://ggame.jp/content/bf-gb/

They're doing some pretty interesting fan interaction promotions for the new Build Fighters anime. Seems like they first started with Gundam Breaker over a month ago, asking fans playing the game to create their own original custom MS in the game and submit them as entries in a contest. The winning entry will be featured in the anime itself at some point, and now they're down to the last 50 finalists.

They've also opened up new contests for fans without Gundam Breaker. Gunpla fans who buy the HG Build Strike Gundam will get an entry form within the package allowing them to submit photos of an actual custom gunpla, and the winner will be featured in the anime as well.

For younger fans who play the Gundam Try-Age arcade stuff, they're offering a more simplified contest where you can download line art designs of selected mobile suits, and color them however you like and submit the custom color design as an entry. The winning entry will also be featured in the show at some point.

Pretty cool stuff. :)

Wubby

They've also opened up new contests for fans without Gundam Breaker. Gunpla fans who buy the HG Build Strike Gundam will get an entry form within the package allowing them to submit photos of an actual custom gunpla, and the winner will be featured in the anime as well.

FWIW I don't think buying the HG Build Strike Gundam is necessary. I just looked in mine and it only had a little flyer with a link on it. Of course I guess most people wouldn't normally have the link unless they bought it. But here you go!

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/20131005bf.html

Enron

Banned
http://bandai-hobby.net/site/gunpla_buildfighters_special002.html
http://www.gundam-try.com/news/build33.html
http://ggame.jp/content/bf-gb/

They're doing some pretty interesting fan interaction promotions for the new Build Fighters anime. Seems like they first started with Gundam Breaker over a month ago, asking fans playing the game to create their own original custom MS in the game and submit them as entries in a contest. The winning entry will be featured in the anime itself at some point, and now they're down to the last 50 finalists.

For younger fans who play the Gundam Try-Age arcade stuff, they're offering a more simplified contest where you can download line art designs of selected mobile suits, and color them however you like and submit the custom color design as an entry. The winning entry will also be featured in the show at some point.

Hopefully the winners won't be some shitty Seed shit.

Aizo

Banned
I was thinking about this a little bit, mostly about how I don't think Setsuna is very good, and I was wondering what you all thought. Who is your favorite Gundagonist?

PhiLonius

Judau

Episode 44

This is one of the episodes I remember from my first watch and have been waiting for.

Shakti finally reaches her final form.

Any remaining shred of sanity, any process of rational thought, any remnant of common sense is now gone.

She manages to get two people killed and herself recaptured yet again.

Episode 45

Uso spends this whole episode on the single greatest acid trip known to man.

We are forced to relive the death of all the Shrike Team members along with some other flashbacks.

We also see where Shakti inherited her smarts from as we are shown more of her mother.

CorvoSol

My favorite Gundam protagonists are the following:

-Domon Kasshu. Dude is basically the father of Kamina and Kallen. Hot blooded, irritable, thick as a brick, and badass like no other. Seeing him go from being an asocial jerk who couldn't talk to regular people let alone appreciate the girl who was with him, to a full blown master of combats fueled by the power of love, was definitely the best progression of any protagonist for me. It's hard to hate Domon.

-Judau Ashta. Judau is a goofy, laid back guy, who even after getting pulled into the hell that was the Neo Zeon war, never really loses his cheerful nature, even when he does get his act together. He was a breath of fresh air after the seriously messed up Amuro and Kamille. Judau also scares the bejeesus out of Haman Khan, which makes him pretty damn awesome. Also dude gets Roux in the end.

-Kamille Bidan. Kamille is the best part about Zeta Gundam. He starts out an unlikeable, horrible asshat, but as the show introduces other screw ups, Kamille pulls himself together and becomes a legitimately good guy. Also he pilots the Zeta, which makes you even cooler just by touching it.

-Tobia Arronax. Tobia is so awesome he prays to God to NOT help him so he can kick the asses of everyone on his own. Tobia is so awesome that he basically says Newtype theory is full of spit and that people are just adapting. Then he proves it. Tobia is so awesome that he is super awesome and deserves his own damn show.

-Heero Yuy. Heero isn't as cool as he used to seem, but I mean come on. Dude pilots the Wing and Wing Zero, is always doing crazy ass spy stuff, and cracks jokes in monotone. In fact, Heero's deadpan snark is probably what sets him apart from Trowa, whose character basically is not having any defining character. Also he threatens to kill Relena all the time, and he's the father of Sousuke Sagara and . . . Setsuna. But mostly Sousuke.

-Athrun Zala. He should've been the protagonist of both SEED and Destiny. Athrun is sarcastic, cynical, and has a better grasp on what is going on around him than everyone else. He gets all the honeys (except Murrue), and while the Infinite Justice isn't as awesome as the Strike Freedom, it's still pretty damn awesome. Athrun is one of the good SEED characters, and would've and should've been the protagonist.

Beth Cyra

-Domon Kasshu. Dude is basically the father of Kamina and Kallen. Hot blooded, irritable, thick as a brick, and badass like no other. Seeing him go from being an asocial jerk who couldn't talk to regular people let alone appreciate the girl who was with him, to a full blown master of combats fueled by the power of love, was definitely the best progression of any protagonist for me. It's hard to hate Domon.

-Judau Ashta. Judau is a goofy, laid back guy, who even after getting pulled into the hell that was the Neo Zeon war, never really loses his cheerful nature, even when he does get his act together. He was a breath of fresh air after the seriously messed up Amuro and Kamille. Judau also scares the bejeesus out of Haman Khan, which makes him pretty damn awesome. Also dude gets Roux in the end..

Giving Domon any type of credit for Kamina is wholly misplaced. Kamina owes alot of who he is to Ryo (Among many, many other Super Robo Pilots. Domon and Kamina's hot blooded personality wasn't new or unique when they were around.) just like the bulk of Gurren owes alot of Story nonsense to Getter.

Outside of that I agree with Judau and Athrun being fucking awesome.

Card Boy

Banned

-Judau Ashta. Judau is a goofy, laid back guy, who even after getting pulled into the hell that was the Neo Zeon war, never really loses his cheerful nature, even when he does get his act together. He was a breath of fresh air after the seriously messed up Amuro and Kamille. Judau also scares the bejeesus out of Haman Khan, which makes him pretty damn awesome. Also dude gets Roux in the end.

-Kamille Bidan. Kamille is the best part about Zeta Gundam. He starts out an unlikeable, horrible asshat, but as the show introduces other screw ups, Kamille pulls himself together and becomes a legitimately good guy. Also he pilots the Zeta, which makes you even cooler just by touching it.

-Tobia Arronax. Tobia is so awesome he prays to God to NOT help him so he can kick the asses of everyone on his own. Tobia is so awesome that he basically says Newtype theory is full of spit and that people are just adapting. Then he proves it. Tobia is so awesome that he is super awesome and deserves his own damn show.

-Heero Yuy. Heero isn't as cool as he used to seem, but I mean come on. Dude pilots the Wing and Wing Zero, is always doing crazy ass spy stuff, and cracks jokes in monotone. In fact, Heero's deadpan snark is probably what sets him apart from Trowa, whose character basically is not having any defining character. Also he threatens to kill Relena all the time, and he's the father of Sousuke Sagara and . . . Setsuna. But mostly Sousuke.

-Athrun Zala. He should've been the protagonist of both SEED and Destiny. Athrun is sarcastic, cynical, and has a better grasp on what is going on around him than everyone else. He gets all the honeys (except Murrue), and while the Infinite Justice isn't as awesome as the Strike Freedom, it's still pretty damn awesome. Athrun is one of the good SEED characters, and would've and should've been the protagonist.

List is missing Amuro for the lulz.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
(character list)
Excellent choices.

Regarding Athrun, he could be considered a co-protagonist in SEED and he's technically the main character in Destiny though
not that anyone truly cares.

My favorite protagonists:

Amuro - The first and still probably the best. The perfect balance of angst and competence, Amuro's growth is perfectly handled. They actually handled his character development as if he were a person. He isn't as self-absorbed and can actually work in a team environement. However, he stays cold (though friendly) throughout.

Usso - Fairly Upbeat despite the horrors he endures, I like him because he's extremely flexible and adaptable. Is he the best pilot in the franchise? No. But I had a lot of fun watching him. Plus he used to use MS simulators as video games and that's kinda cool

Al/Bernie - Some people think Al is annoying. I say he's an 8 year old. Watching him discover what war REALLY is was great to watch, and you can't help but feel for the little guy. Bernie, the other protagonist of the series, is a great character too. Very likeable though naive in his own way.

Least Favorites:
Kira - They wanted him to be Amuro 2.0, but completely botched it. Plus his character design and voice actors suck. And so does his show.

Heero - When he's not boring to watch, he's doing stupid over-the-top "bad ass" stuff. Worse yet, he's attached to Relena "I'm so boring" Peacecraft. Boring. Yawn

Garrod - He's kind of like a more forgettable Judau.

Favorite Protags.

Amuro: The father of all Gundam pilots. A badass and had lots of personal problems but lived his life well to the end. Lost so many friends but died protecting the planet he loved like a star going Supernova.

Heero: Cold and aloof but one of the kindest pilots around. Not to mention his insane skills. Has a good sense of justice.

Banagher: A bit of an idiot at the beginning but he grows up and becomes ridiculously powerful lol.

Setsuna F. Seiei: One of the most conflicted protagonist and all the better for it. Raised as a Guerilla Warfare child, he grows up worshiping the Gundams due to his loss of faith in God and being saved by one. Learns over the course of 2 seasons to become more open only to awaken to become an Innovator and lead the charge against war around the world.

Judai: Its Judai, how the F do you not like him?

The others are all decent or just terrible.

CorvoSol

Giving Domon any type of credit for Kamina is wholly misplaced. Kamina owes alot of who he is to Ryo (Among many, many other Super Robo Pilots. Domon and Kamina's hot blooded personality wasn't new or unique when they were around.) just like the bulk of Gurren owes alot of Story nonsense to Getter.

Outside of that I agree with Judau and Athrun being fucking awesome.

Kamina's cape is so Domon's cape, I mean c'mooooooon.

List is missing Amuro for the lulz.

I . . . dunno how I feel about Amuro. Like, I feel like Amuro and Char are kinda misused after MSG.

Excellent choices.

Regarding Athrun, he could be considered a co-protagonist in SEED and he's technically the main character in Destiny though
not that anyone truly cares.

Athrun should've gotten Lacus and the Freedom.

Bombless

Finally took the time to put together this beauty. Best mobile suit right there ladies and gentlemen! Man, I'd kill for a 1/60 version of it. In the meantime I guess I'll have to settle to adding a few BuCUES as his retinue.

UnJUopAl.jpg

I love how every single piece on him moves. These kits are amazing.

Card Boy

Banned
Finally took the time to put together this beauty. Best mobile suit right there ladies and gentlemen! Man, I'd kill for a 1/60 version of it. In the meantime I guess I'll have to settle to adding a few BuCUES as his retinue.

UnJUopAl.jpg

I have being out of the loop with recent Gundams, when did they start turning into Zoids?

CorvoSol

I have being out of the loop with recent Gundams, when did they start turning into Zoids?

If I'm not mistaken, SEED is the only continuity aside from G where they use animal mecha.

So basically as soon as UC stopped was when they started turning into Zoids. Dat Mammoth Gundam.

Jubern

Build Fighters 2

Nice episode, I'm really liking this. Didn't expect the
Sumo
to appear so soon! Nice, nice battles all around, with great animation and choregraphy.
Nice to that
Ramba Ral is actually a regular
by the way!
Also interesting way to end the episode ahah.

Next episode we get that
green Wing Gundam
! "I'm seeing the tears of time" lel

I honestly never expected to enjoy this so much.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters - 2
So, Reiji is definitely
from another universe or the future...
He was surprised to
lose to a "toy," so that supports the theory that he's used to piloting real mobile suits.
It looks like we can look forward to a new/customized main mobile suit in the near future. I hope that later in the series,
they go to Reiji's universe/time for a more serious plot or one with more danger.
I have a hard time getting into action plots when there isn't much at stake. I suppose I should view it like a sports series. One's pride is the main thing that will be damaged.

UnJUopAl.jpg

I like that, but I like the Gaia Gundam even more!
I almost bought the same model kit as you, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom