• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Anyone know what the reception of Build Fighters has been in Japan so far? It seems like pretty much everyone on here enjoyed the first episode quite a bit, and it seems like /m/ has fully embraced it as well. But MAL users are tearing it apart.

I would be shocked if they aren't digging it so far. The Gunpla community has fully embraced Gundam Breaker and we are getting tons and tons of stuff based on it, or just coming from the idea of it.

I can't imagine Build Fighters is having any worse of a reception. It's really just Gundam Breaker with some generic Anime nonsense/art and a shit ton of Gundam Fan service. Fan service has gone over amazingly well in the past (Reborns, the entire idea of SEED really) and Generic Anime Art has also proven to be perfectly acceptable with Gundam fans (SEED/OO).

He's referring to Rinko Iori

kgcrhqp.gif

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Oh I wanna do lists too!

God tier: G, Turn A, 00 S1
Newtype tier: MSG, Z, Unicorn, X, 8th MS
Coordinator tier: SEED, W, ZZ, F91, War in the Pocket
Indifferent tier: CCA, EW
Trainwreck tier: SEED Destiny, 0083
Lulz tier: 00 S2, V
Double Lulz tier: 00 movie
Hino-ruined-Gundam tier: AGE

don't watch anything below Coordinator

Gundam Breaker is awesome. I recommend picking It up.
I had a sudden urge and downloaded the demo/beta from PSN, the controls are kinda weird and the difficulty on the missions there increases exponentially. It is a lot of fun though, and one can do some pretty badass mashups

CorvoSol

I'm just curious, but what is it that you hate about Mobile Armors so much?

They're dumb. What more needs to be said? Never has a Mobile Armor defeated a Gundam like, ever. Every time one is introduced it is the same plot: bad guys have a crazy new super weapon! Yay! The battle lasted maybe five minutes. Oh. It's like, false tension.

Plus the ideas behind them are never, ever good. Did you see the latest one in Victory? It didn't even work the way it was meant to. And that guy in 08th MS was obsessed with one that, sure enough, lost to a Gundam.

GOUFs are a more credible threat than Mobile Armors will ever be.

It really is as simple as asking yourself who is better: Ramba Ral or Challia Bull. If you chose Bull, you have a shining career in the BESPA lined up for you, enjoy riding Chumpicle Asser's wheeled dick.

Not all Mobile Armors are terrible though. The Elmeth was pretty damn effective. And frankly, the Big Zam did quite a bit of damage as well.

And you can't really hold "not being able to defeat a gundam" against them either. A Zaku has never defeated a Gundam before
unless you count Bernie
, but doesn't stop Zakus from being amazingly awesome. Hell, the best thing about Gundam Wing was the Leos, and those things didn't come within 0.000000000000000000000001% of being a threat to any of the Gundams.

CorvoSol

Not all Mobile Armors are terrible though. The Elmeth was pretty damn effective. And frankly, the Big Zam did quite a bit of damage as well.

And you can't really hold "not being able to defeat a gundam" against them either. A Zaku has never defeated a Gundam before
unless you count Bernie
, but doesn't stop Zakus from being amazingly awesome. Hell, the best thing about Gundam Wing was the Leos, and those things didn't come within 0.000000000000000000000001% of being a threat to any of the Gundams.

I'm definitely holding "not being able to defeat a Gundam" against them. You can mass produce MSes for a low cost, but Mobile Armors are expensive, experimental, and gimmicky as fuck, and they never succeed. They exist solely to be minibosses.

They're dumb. What more needs to be said? Never has a Mobile Armor defeated a Gundam like, ever. Every time one is introduced it is the same plot: bad guys have a crazy new super weapon! Yay! The battle lasted maybe five minutes. Oh. It's like, false tension.

Plus the ideas behind them are never, ever good. Did you see the latest one in Victory? It didn't even work the way it was meant to. And that guy in 08th MS was obsessed with one that, sure enough, lost to a Gundam.

It really is as simple as asking yourself who is better: Ramba Ral or Challia Bull. If you chose Bull, you have a shining career in the BESPA lined up for you, enjoy riding Chumpicle Asser's wheeled dick.

I was trying to come up with some kind of devil's advocate counter-argument (
like maaaaaaaybe the Moebius Zero
), but I can't. Mobile armors pretty much suck.

frye

XnbMJJa.jpg

I don't want to live in a world where this isn't awesome.

Chinner

Banned
so when you guys make your gunpla, do you paint and line it while its still on the runners? noticed a few people do that online/

so when you guys make your gunpla, do you paint and line it while its still on the runners? noticed a few people do that online/

If you want to go down that insane hole than ah no.

You cut out all the pieces from the sprue. Assemble all of the ones that would have seam lines with thin liquid cement or welding glue or whatever. After that you would put them on some extra long stick skewers or alligator clips and give it a base coat with a primer. After that dries you can give them a proper coat of pain with an air brush, then a top coat with some kind of varnish or something else to preserve the base paint, then you can do an inkwash for the panel lines and maybe another coat of paint or stickers or whatever and obviously at the end of it all you finish it with a final top/varnish coat.

PhiLonius

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 41

Fuala, bowler hat/guillotine woman from early in the series, returns.
She's revealed to be the pilot behind the base jabber suit from the previous episode.
And she now has a few new accessories that are the dumbest of the dumb.

Uso meets his father, who turns out to be the real Jinn Gehennam.

New members of the Shrike Team get a kind of introduction and actually survive the episode.
Uso gets his face pressed into their chest. This seems to be a thing within the show.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:
Episode 42

Corvo you're going to love this episode.

Zanscare has another new mobile armor but, in what has to be a record time, it's destroyed before it even takes off for its first flight.

Lupe, pedophile chick who attempted to bathe with Uso and chased him in the nude, pops back up wearing a dress over her pilot suit.
She then attempts to "embrace" the V2 and go out Kamikaze style.

This show is all over the place. I tried to string another episode or so into the watch but couldn't do it to myself.

Chinner

Banned
If you want to go down that insane hole than ah no.

You cut out all the pieces from the sprue. Assemble all of the ones that would have seam lines with thin liquid cement or welding glue or whatever. After that you would put them on some extra long stick skewers or alligator clips and give it a base coat with a primer. After that dries you can give them a proper coat of pain with an air brush, then a top coat with some kind of varnish or something else to preserve the base paint, then you can do an inkwash for the panel lines and maybe another coat of paint or stickers or whatever and obviously at the end of it all you finish it with a final top/varnish coat.

how does filling the seam lines work exactly? do you just glue the parts together and then sandpaper the glue off into a smooth surface then paint over it?

CorvoSol

I was trying to come up with some kind of devil's advocate counter-argument (
like maaaaaaaybe the Moebius Zero
), but I can't. Mobile armors pretty much suck.

If Spacenoids quit building mobile armors I'd be much more sympathetic to their cause. But I'd rather have my soul weighed down by gravity than mobile armors or, as is the BESPA's case, WHEELS.

The only time a Mobile Armor ever posed a credible and interesting threat was when Lalah Soone piloted one, and that's because rather than being Rita Repulsa's villain of the day, it was someone who'd been built up to, and bits had not really been a thing at that point, and New Type Hijinks were just barely starting. Compare that to Uso fighting the giant bubbletape. Dude shows up out of nowhere, pilots a thing, it can't do what it was supposed to do, and Uso wins by screaming loudly like the little girl he is.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Episode 1-5.

Some rambling below.

This Moebius Zero thing is a Mobile Armour, seems to be going pretty stongly so far. It actually did things in Episode 5!

I don't like Flay. What a whiny thing she is. Definately the most annoying thing so far.

Rau La Corset is just your average Char clone, seems to know what he's doing, pilots Mobile Suits well, has Newtype powers.

The Kira/Athrun thing is really getting overplayed at this point. We get it! You knew each other once, a long time ago and Athrun has a silly outfit then get over it!

Looking back I'm now suspecting the AGE-1 was based off more on the Strike rather than the RX-78-2 due to the modular weapon packs being a big feature of both.

Next episode has the Archangel entering an umbrella of some sort.

The Kira/Athrun thing is really getting overplayed at this point. We get it! You knew each other once, a long time ago and Athrun has a silly outfit then get over it!

Kira: "ASSSSSSRUN!!!"
Athrun: "KIRAAAAAA!!!"

I wonder if they actually reused the screams like they reuse beamspam and launch sequences.

CorvoSol

AGEtory Gundam 36

This show is the comedy of forever. Let's brutally murder a kid's mom in the most pointless and horrible way, even if she is Nina Purpleton, and then let us, the murderers, be morally outraged that he had to see it! I mean, it isn't like our shitacular battle strategy lead to EXACTLY this situation, now, is it? It isn't like we haven't been casting blame upon the other side for EVERYTHING, why don't we be morally outraged that the little boy WE TRY TO KILL ON A DAILY FUCKING BASIS had to watch as we murdered his mother!?

And yes, Shakti, it is SO your fucking fault. Nina Purpleton would not EVER have been onboard that giant skateboard if it hadn't been for your FUCKING RIDICULOUS decision to go and try and persuade Chumpicle Asser to not be a huge douchebag for once in his life. YOU KILLED JUNKO YOU FUCKING WHORE. YOU KILLED OLIVER YOU SHITTY BITCH. AND NOW well, okay I didn't like Nina Purpleton at all but YOU FUCKING KILLED NINA PURPLETON TOO, YOU SHIT STAIN OF HUMANITY.

Can someone explain to me how Shakti is not in fact the source of all strife, suffering, and agony in Universal Century? Because I'm almost certain at this point that I can mathematically diagram how this fucking idiot and that SHRIEKING BANSHEE OF SHIT FUSED TO HER SPINE are responsible for everything since the day Zeon Deikun died. I really, really am.

Also "My name is Katejina and I will try and murder and rape your corpse Uso and then cry to my boyfriend that your mom died."

FUCK WHY DOES NO ONE MAKE SENSE IN THIS SHOW. NONE OF YOU FUCKTARDS ARE VICTOR VON DOOM. NONE OF YOU HAVE THE CLASS IT WOULD TAKE TO MAKE ME THINK YOU'RE SYMPATHETIC WHEN YOU CRY OVER ACTS OF EVIL.

GO FUCKING CRY A TEAR FOR THE FUCKING STATE OF TEXAS SIZED STRIP OF LAND YOU JUST FLATTENED. YOU ASSHATS HAVE MURDERED SO MANY MOTHERS AND CHILDREN TODAY THAT YOUR REMORSE OVER ONE IS POSITIVELY MIND BOGGLING.

Victory Gundam's villains are unreasonable.

EDIT: Strapping a Gundam to a rocket means its still a Gundam, and Gundams > MAs.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch
Episode 37

We start up with another shot of that lovely decapitation from the last episode. I didn't mention anything about it last episode, because, really, it's pretty tasteless, but I just want to give a special mention to how Marbet just sort of passes around the head for the others to gawk at. It's not shocking, just dumb.

Skipping ahead to sometime after that, the Captain grants the crew permission for a vacation, to show that the cease-fire is legit. Of course Shakti just about loses her damn mind out of excitement. It's actually a half-decent plan, since it gives them a plausible excuse if anything goes down - considering how badly their Trojan horse gambit crashed and burned way back on Earth, it's better that they try not to think too hard. I say "half-decent, because Zanscare's just using it to buy time. Of course. We get a little side conversation about how people who grew up in colonies can't handle the smell of sea salt or decomposing flesh, which sends my "forced aesop" sense off the charts.

Sicily somehow convinces Duker and the higher ups to indulge her specific branch of biker fetishism, and Uso and co. end up having to fend off a squad of hydroplaning unicycle mecha.

The squad goes after the White Ark first; Duker figures that if they take the ship down first, the suits will have to scatter. They're unsuccessful, of course, because following a plan even as simple as that requires the kind of competency and skill that this squad has failed to demonstrate so far - but they manage to land a glancing shot to the Ark's engine room, and when the kids try to put it out, a shockwave knocks Shakti over and injures her, forcing the rest of the crew to try and escape on a nearby island while the others fend off Duker and his toadies.

An island...of BONES! Bones from the sea life that left the polluted ocean to die, rife with the stench of decay! The Kranskie sisters completely lose it, and the others are somewhat upset about it as well. Sp00ky stuff, but the teens seem to fixate on the pollution an awful lot...

Then the sisters start talking about how the Earth is practically uninhabitable because of the extent of the pollution.

Then Shakti starts prothelesizing about how it's not such a terrible thing - after all, everyone bleeds, and everyone dies. Then she muses about how this level of pollution could have easily been avoided with even a modicum of effort. Warren joins in and they all have a little jam session about how the Earth can survive. Then we get this line:

I hope to god that this is the kids' takeaway from all this, and not the show's ultimate message. I hope that there's something huge that happens next episode that crushes this idealistic pap like the bones that popped under the weight of the suits during this little detour. Because lemme tell you, this episode is no Doan's Island, and if I have to hear such a left-field justification for the war for the last stretch of the show, I'm going to get pretty agitated.

Anyway, Marbet and Uso put Bottom Fighter foot to ass and sent the BESPA forces packing. Tomadache and Odelo helped too, I guess.

Afterwards, the crew gets together for a post-battle pow-wow, and Uso reflects ON THE STRUGGLE WITHIN HIS HEART BETWEEN HIS MORALS AND HIS THIRST FOR VENGENCE... quietly.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch
Episode 38

Odelo tries to take charge. It doesn't end well.
Uso tries to find Odelo and Elischa after his attempts at assertiveness fall apart. It doesn't end well.
Marbet tries to bail Uso out. It doesn't go well, and it gets them all dragged into an ambush.
Uso counters the ambush by diverting enough power to his shields to hold off the main assault. It goes well at first (although I imagine that EXVS players who use the V2 would break down crying at such a sight,) but ultimately that plan doesn't end well.
Odelo tries being assertive again, and at first it went horribly wrong, but then he and Uso accidentally pull off an inferior version of BEAM CONFUSE, and they take out the ship with Duker in it; with Renda's death earlier in the show, the two of them ultimately eliminated 2/3rds of the most influential members of the Motorad Squadron. Everything ended better than expected.

Anyway, have some gifs.

JLxfGEy.gif

qSACiSM.gif

x486Yp9.gif

That last one reminded me of Reader Rabbit, for some reason.

Bombless

Kira: "ASSSSSSRUN!!!"
Athrun: "KIRAAAAAA!!!"

I wonder if they actually reused the screams like they reuse beamspam and launch sequences.

My sister and I have this gag we keep doing, a mix of Kira/Athrun yelling at each other and one of us randomly tossing a Haro "RACUSSUUUU" in between, a la Shrek ("Donkey!").

Seed is still the best in my heart though!

Aizo

Banned
Most people I meet talk lots of shit about Gundam SEED (not just Destiny), but I'm starting to feel that they're bandwagon haters, and they've not actually seen the series. I went into it thinking that I'd hate it, but I find it enjoyable enough so far.

I'm pretty jaded, though. I've seen too much awful anime, and enough great anime that my views are quite softened. Something that may be terrible to some is only bad to me; something that is amazing to others is usually just good. It's kind of depressing, actually. It's like I can't be horribly disappointed, nor can I often be greatly impressed.

14 hour later edit:
Shin Gundam Musou finally got a trailer. I opened a thread. There's a gift for you, duckroll, in this one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85533931#post85533931

Or, just skip right to the trailer if you'd rather:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Vk3RA6csk

how does filling the seam lines work exactly? do you just glue the parts together and then sandpaper the glue off into a smooth surface then paint over it?

Woops sorry for the late reply.

Yeah that's pretty much how it is. If you use proper glue the plastic will melt together into one solid piece and then you sand/smooth out the left over glue into a clean finish.

http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1202 said:

I stole all of this stuff from a bunch of tutorials linked here.

Most people I meet talk lots of shit about Gundam SEED (not just Destiny), but I'm starting to feel that they're bandwagon haters, and they've not actually seen the series. I went into it thinking that I'd hate it, but I find it enjoyable enough so far.

I'm pretty jaded, though. I've seen too much awful anime, and enough great anime that my views are quite softened. Something that may be terrible to some is only bad to me; something that is amazing to others is usually just good. It's kind of depressing, actually. It's like I can't be horribly disappointed, nor can I often be greatly impressed.

14 hour later edit:
Shin Gundam Musou finally got a trailer. I opened a thread. There's a gift for you, duckroll, in this one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85533931#post85533931

Or, just skip right to the trailer if you'd rather:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Vk3RA6csk

I actually quite like SEED, though the middle part does kind of drag. Destiny, however, felt like a mess to me. Used to be my least favorite Gundam until AGE came along. THAT was a true disaster.

Aizo

Banned
I actually quite like SEED, though the middle part does kind of drag. Destiny, however, felt like a mess to me. Used to be my least favorite Gundam until AGE came along. THAT was a true disaster.

Maybe it was that I was watching AGE weekly, but it didn't seem all that awful to me. I definitely didn't think it was good, and it was bad for a Gundam series, but as a general anime, it was not awful.

I think it would have been much better if it didn't have to stick to the 50 episode limit. All the character development, romances, major plot events, Everything was far too rushed in the series and Kio was a terrible protagonist. I can see why Gundam fans hate it, though. Maybe it's my bias for loving space pirates that made me not hate the whole series. I do love space pirates...

If there are AGE mobile suits in the new Gundam Musō, Darkhound better be there.
I thought Space Pirate Captain Harlock Asemu was pretty rad, too.

Bombless

I know it's been out forever and this game appeals to fans mostly but dat huge SEED spoiler in the long trailer lol.

The couple people here going through SEED atm DO NOT WATCH THE LONG TRAILER.

Aizo

Banned
I know it's been out forever and this game appeals to fans mostly but dat huge SEED spoiler in the long trailer lol.

I must not have been paying attention. I remember looking down to send a text message while the SEED cutscenes were coming up. Thank God Kira that I avoided the spoiler.

CorvoSol

AGEtory Gundam 37

SHAKTI WANTS TO BACK TO KASSERELIA. YES YOUR MOTHER'S KILLERS ARE AT LARGE. KASSERELIA. KASSERELIA USO. KASSERELIA.

What the fuck are the Zanscare trying to accomplish again? Something about space feminists and motorcycles? I gotta be honest, if women are truly so gentle, how is it that Katejina Loos is like, the most bloodthirsty character in the show? Hell, it seems to me that the men in the Zanscare who aren't hilariously rapey are all submissive as fuck. Especially Chumpicle Asser.

But seriously I have no idea what the Zanscare want or what flattening cities (literally) is supposed to accomplish. Like, the Feds want to be fat lazy fucks because a Gundam MUST save their asses, and the League Militaire wants to watch more Les Mis, but I dunno bout the Zanscare. Apparently they're Nazis now, what with the Sieg Zanscare. I have no idea this show fucking sucks.

Spacenoids are a bunch of fucking whiny bitches. "Working in Gravity is HAAAAAAARD." Tobia Arronax had a thing or two to say about this people. He BEGGED GOD not to help him so he could kick ass on his own so that all these pansy ass Spacenoids would know that working in gravity used to be a fucking thing.

The knowledge that the Turn A Gundam destroyed all of these people is the greatest possible balm ever.

I can't decide if time has worn away the stings of AGE and 00 or if Victory really is the single worst Gundam show ever made. I hate it so much. I can barely force myself through an episode, even by skipping through it. The show's music is amazing, but fucking Japanese Uso is screaming even when he isn't. The fights are animated well enough, I suppose, but the Zanscare MS designs are so fucking retarded I find it hard to care. OH NO A HELICOPTER AND A TIRE AND A MOTORCYCLE.

Thanks for that and now back to SEED.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Episode 6-7

So I now meet the 'Haman Karn' of the series, Lacus Clyne, she doesn't seem to be the domineering type to me right now. Also she's an idol so we need to protect her at all costs! Chairman Zala thinking about the ticket sales there!

Also Flay continues to be the most stupid and dimwitted person on this show. You like Kira, who's a Coordinator, but when it comes to Lacus it's 'Coordinators are all serial killers, I don't even want to shake their hand!'. I want her to die an excruciating death.

Also Episode 7 showed me the real reason to start of the war 'Bloody Valentine' which if I'm right is the purge of 270,000 civilians by the Earth Forces. Why aren't ZAFT the good guys here? I'm not seeing why Kira is fighting for these people right now seeing as they are the ones who instigated this war.

EDIT: I'm really liking Invoke! Really catchy song. People weren't wrong about the good music in this series!

Thanks for that and now back to SEED.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED: Episode 6-7

Also Flay continues to be the most stupid and dimwitted person on this show. You like Kira, who's a Coordinator, but when it comes to Lacus it's 'Coordinators are all serial killers, I don't even want to shake their hand!'. I want her to die an excruciating death.

Buckle up, homestuck. You're gonna have to endure her bullshit for quite a while.

Some people think Fa or Reccoa are the worst female characters in the franchise. Others think Nina is. Some even think Shakti is. For me, it's Flay. God damn Flay.

Who the hell thinks Fa is the worst? Why?
I mainly want to watch ZZ for more Fa action.

For me the worst has to be Katejina. How low of a self esteem must one have to suck up to Prince Incompetent Moron, his excellence Sir Cronicle Dafthair the Third? Katejina's character wouldn't be redeemed even if she died a million deaths to save the protagonist no one cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom