• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsuneyo

The music is meant to make it sound like a space opera. While the first series loved to use the mad disco music because it was the 70's :p

Ok, but I loved that mad disco music, and all the non-disco stuff in there too.

This isn't really true. They were a big part of it, for sure, but they were still just one ship that Zeon paid an undue amount of attention to, to their detriment in the end.

Where did you get this? White Bases' contributions to the OYW were marginal at best. Their biggest contributions were:
- Killing Garma and Dozle
- Being a distraction.

Fair enough, but it still seems like a big and stupid change in ideology for the Federation.

CorvoSol

I watched the first seven episodes then got bored a long time ago. Maybe I'll give it another shot later

Y' kinda have to power through the slow start. Once it finally sheds the last vestiges of Zeta, it's great.

I did my part, and even listed it :p

Good man.

I watched ZZ and loved all of it. Well, everything except Tigerbaum.

Just remember: there are people who have watched ZZ and Victory, and said that ZZ is the worst show in the series. I want you all to remember that now that you've frittered away so much time on the show. And if you should ever come across such people, I want you to go to them and laugh in their faces.

Who could possibly think Victory is better than ZZ?

Watching Victory Gundam, reached episode 30, uugh this show is bad. In the running for worst Gundam show with ZZ, F91 and Seed Destiny.

WHAT

I liked double zeta but the first half is something that is going to be hit or miss a solid 70% of the time, all the episodes revolving around getting the ZZ gundam and it's first use and the zaku head (rick dias if you so wish) zeta are great. Past that it's messy....realllllly mess, until the second half of the show where it actually picks up.

Judau is probably one of my favorite protags as well.

Start is slow, but 2nd half is the jam.
Leina's
Blood is still one of the best episodes in the franchise.

I finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam on Sunday! Thanks to whoever it was in this thread who gave me the recommendation. Awesome series, I've started on Zeta already. It hurt seeing Bright beat down like that.

How do you guys rate Zeta in comparison with the first series?

I think Zeta is worse than MSG and ZZ, but I watched the Dub.

Fair enough, but it still seems like a big and stupid change in ideology for the Federation.

That ideology is what the One Year War was started over, and is a re-occuring theme of the UC timeline. At best the Federation is incompetent. At worst, it is oppressive towards Spacenoids. If you notice, in the original series, outside of Revel, MAACHIRUUDA-SAAAN and Woody (and of course the White Base crew), most Federation officers are portrayed as jerkasses. Hell, even Bright is a bit of a jerkass at the beginning. While it's not entirely true that everyone who lives on Earth are part of the "Earth-born elite", it IS true that the Federation is run from earth, with very little power given to colonies.

As you'll see, the Federation doesn't look too kindly on people they perceive to be Newtypes. In fact, they're outright scared of the White Base crew.

As for the Titans, it is important to note that they're technically part of the Federation, but they're also seperate, and that they use the threat of Zeon uprisings to justify their harsh totalitarian policies.

Watching Victory Gundam, reached episode 30, uugh this show is bad. In the running for worst Gundam show with ZZ, F91 and Seed Destiny.

ZZ and F91 bad? Were we watching the same things here? ZZ have Judau Ashta and Haman Khan. That's a good enough reason to say that the show is not the worst. F91 had its issues with pacing but by no means was it terrible,

Enron

Banned
ZZ and F91 bad? Were we watching the same things here? ZZ have Judau Ashta and Haman Khan. That's a good enough reason to say that the show is not the worst. F91 had its issues with pacing but by no means was it terrible,

Plus f91 has the greatest vocal in all of Gundam

First 40 minutes of F91 alone are enough to prevent it from sucking. It's probably the best 40 minutes of any anime thing I've ever seen.

CorvoSol

That ideology is what the One Year War was started over, and is a re-occuring theme of the UC timeline. At best the Federation is incompetent. At worst, it is oppressive towards Spacenoids. If you notice, in the original series, outside of Revel, MAACHIRUUDA-SAAAN and Woody (and of course the White Base crew), most Federation officers are portrayed as jerkasses. Hell, even Bright is a bit of a jerkass at the beginning. While it's not entirely true that everyone who lives on Earth are part of the "Earth-born elite", it IS true that the Federation is run from earth, with very little power given to colonies.

As you'll see, the Federation doesn't look too kindly on people they perceive to be Newtypes. In fact, they're outright scared of the White Base crew.

As for the Titans, it is important to note that they're technically part of the Federation, but they're also seperate, and that they use the threat of Zeon uprisings to justify their harsh totalitarian policies.

Federation > Spacenoids. This is why they crush them every single time for 200 years straight, and like 10k years in the future it's still Earthmade Gundams kicking space booty.

Gundams > MAs every time.

kitsuneyo

Thanks, that does put it in perspective.

Aizo

Banned
I've heard stargazer is great so I might have to give it a watch)
Really? Who says Stargazer is great? I didn't think it was horrible, but it's quite average. There isn't enough time to develop all the things they needed to, and the first episode wastes far too much time. The last battle is underwhelming, Stargazer hardly gets any time, and the final resolution is somewhat illogical. It just feels incomplete.

Really? Who says Stargazer is great? I didn't think it was horrible, but it's quite average. There isn't enough time to develop all the things they needed to, and the first episode wastes far too much time. The last battle is underwhelming, Stargazer hardly gets any time, and the final resolution is somewhat illogical. It just feels incomplete.

I thought it was pretty damn good. But that is because I watched it right after Seed and Destiny and I was in a similar attitude Corvo is now with Victory and after those two sucky shows, it looked god tier.

frye

Stargazer? pffft Strike Noir supremacy.

Really though, if it had a longer running time I think Stargazer would be looked at the way 0080 is.

I was pretty sure I would watch every Gundam show aside from AGE until this one. How far are you? How has your strength not yet faded?

PhiLonius is a beast for surviving. From the impressions he wrote I'm glad I jumped the train when I did because I apparently missed no plot advancement whatsoever.

Did the disgrace to all Charkind at least die a painful death?

I'm at Episode 39, I think. I wanted to stick to the original schedule, but everyone seems to have ditched that, so I guess I might as well just keep posting whenever. I need to figure out how to post shorter, less spoiler-riddled episode recaps.

Poor PhiLonius tried to power through the last stretch of episodes, and was overwhelmed by apathy. I don't think I've ever come across a 50+ episode series that spends so much of its good will so early.

In a word, yes. Well, a better word to use would be "THUNK".

Really? That's a shame. I still want to check it out, though, if only to see where the Strike Noir comes from. Does the manga series flesh things out, or is it just a retelling?

69618c28gw1e9lxnypvlhg207s04ekjm.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Well I guess people just compare it to SEED / Destiny quality. I guess when you compare anything to flaming dog poo in a bag it looks like quality, like when some one shows you a mcdonalds burger next to a wendy's burger.

PhiLonius

PhiLonius is a beast for surviving. From the impressions he wrote I'm glad I jumped the train when I did because I apparently missed no plot advancement whatsoever.

Did the disgrace to all Charkind at least die a painful death?

Poor PhiLonius tried to power through the last stretch of episodes, and was overwhelmed by apathy. I don't think I've ever come across a 50+ episode series that spends so much of its good will so early.

In a word, yes. Well, a better word to use would be "THUNK".

I'd like to think Chronicle's death/Katejina's ending was a metaphor for the show as a whole. Sums it up very well.

I don't have fond memories of F91, it was very inconsistent, it tried to do too much for a movie and felt like it had lots to explain, will watch again soon, English dub or Japanese subs?

How could anyone like ZZ? The cast and plot were terrible (especially after watching Zeta, it simply doesn't match up to Z's standards) and inconsistent, the first half was like a comedy, the second half serious. As it was getting serious Elpeo Puru ruined the show for me.

I don't have fond memories of F91, it was very inconsistent, it tried to do too much for a movie and felt like it had lots to explain, will watch again soon, English dub or Japanese subs?

The dub isn't bad. You have yet another Steve Staley protagonist, but he does okay with the role. I'm not fond of Michelle Ruff's Cecily, though. She plays the role a little too gruffly. Everyone else is fine.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I think I watched the 2009 dvd release dub, honestly the movie is a total mess but I still really liked it. I would have liked it a ton more if it had just kept its tone from the initial start up where everyone is just getting wrecked, and it also took like half of the movie for the F-91 to show up.

The F-91 is by far the best designed lead Gundam, hell best designed mobile suit ever.

The biggest issues with the movie are the awful pacing and the fact that it gets lost within its own story. You can kinda tell that it was supposed to be an OVA because it tried to go into subplots but ultimately can't hold them so they just sour the main story.

Actually it was supposed to be a full 50 episode series, but Sunrise axed that concept. They took what was basically the work they had for 13 episodes and adapted it to a movie

CorvoSol

How could anyone like ZZ? The cast and plot were terrible (especially after watching Zeta, it simply doesn't match up to Z's standards) and inconsistent, the first half was like a comedy, the second half serious. As it was getting serious Elpeo Puru ruined the show for me.

This is how I feel about Zeta. The cast and plot were terrible (especially after watching Mobile Suit Gundam, it really doesn't measure up to MSG's standards) and wildly inconsistent, especially with prior characterizations. The first half of the show was serious, and the second half was a comedy in which Poptarts Sriracha and Kamille Bidan competed to get more women for less reasons. As it started to improve again, Katz ruined the show for me.

Kamille, Emma, and Zeta were great, but goddamn did they ever waste Char and Amuro.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - Episode 1-50

So I've finished watching it all. I have got to say this is definately down there in the quality of Gundam series along with AGE.

The Shinn/Stella relationship was barely a relationship. I know they were trying to mimick Zeta with Kamille and Four but it was handled very poorly. Their encounters were extremely limited and most of the time Stella wasn't even awake/in the right frame of mind. It was never explained why Shinn liked Stella, it just happened out of the blue. The worst part is that it formed the base for the latter part of the show with Shinn being even more of a maddo and beating down the voices of reason. Shinn was also the cause of more deaths than the Bloody Valentine disaster because of how badly he acted in the latter half of the show due to him
returning Stella to Neo basically ended up destroying 3 cities

So with such a terrible protagonist we had to have Kira save the day. The beginning of the series was him doing nothing but stare into the sky a lot and going 'hm'. It was not until roughly 15 episodes in did he start speaking or doing anything of note. When he did do things of note, it was actually quite good. I thought his battle against Shinn
(the one where Kira lost)
was the best battle in the entire series.

All I could think about when I saw Durandal was that Char dyed his hair black and all I could think about when I saw Lord Dijibril was Schwarz Bruder went crazy and was 50 years old. Durandal's motives weren't fully explained until 3 episodes to the end, the build up was really obtuse and was consisting of Kira and Lacus saying "Yep I don't trust this Durandal guy. Sure he says nice things but he has a fake Lacus and that means he's evil"

Neo is a terrible Char clone who did nothing for 30 episodes and then was lying in a bed for 10 episodes then he realised
he was Mu La Flaga which made no sense whatsoever and was explained in a couple of pictures plus there was no trace of the Strike left after it got blown up, how did he survive disintigration!?

There's probably more I'm forgetting but those are the main things I had a problem with.

Kamille, Emma, and Zeta were great, but goddamn did they ever waste Char and Amuro.

See, I thought Zeta handled Char and Amuro pretty well. They got enough screen time and stuff to do to be memorable, but didn't steal the limelight from the new characters. If they had any more screentime, you would have had a Seed Destiny situation on your hands, where Athrun and Kira steal Shinn's thunder (though since Shinn sucked, that's not entirely a bad thing, even though Kira sucks even worse)

PhiLonius

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - Episode 1-50

I thought his battle against Shinn
(the one where Kira lost)
was the best battle in the entire series.

My favorite fight. One of Shinn's few good moments.

There are a few things wrong with Destiny, but it's mostly Shinn and the things that revolve around him that really drag that show down.

goddamn did they ever waste Char and Amuro.
I think the moment Amuro is in the Mk-II's hands and he meets Char for the first time in that series is the best moment of the whole franchise.
Besides, Quattro is 100% awesome and in no way could I call his characterization a waste. Amuro was just being Amuro, which was cool as well.
I don't get what there is to dislike about them in Zeta. Those two were the most human characters in that show along with Emma. Kamille was simply great, but didn't feel as human as those three.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - Episode 1-50Neo is a terrible Char clone who did nothing for 30 episodes and then was lying in a bed for 10 episodes then he realised
he was Mu La Flaga which made no sense whatsoever and was explained in a couple of pictures plus there was no trace of the Strike left after it got blown up, how did he survive disintigration!?
That was some serious bullshit. I saw it coming though
voice actors were the same maybe?
and I didn't want it to happen at all or that the reveal would happen sooner. It was pretty bad.

Philonius, that's a nice mustache you got there.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
and I didn't want it to happen at all or that the reveal would happen sooner. It was pretty bad.
It was pretty obvious, and a lot of people saw it coming especially
when they removed Mu's helmet in the final Special Edition

It was time for Londo Bell to go.

It was between the 'Stache or Marida for the followup.
It was a win/win situation

Bombless

RIP :(

In other Gundam VA news, while Kill la Kill is currently boring me to death I almost spit coke all over my desk when the heroine's uniform opened it's mouth.

et1CEY9l.jpg

is

1Y3Igt5.png

I can't unsee it now. Even if the show continues to be as boring I'll watch it JUST to see what antics Rau will pull next!

I don't recall seeing this earlier in the thread, but I just read that Tomoyuki Dan, Chronicle's voice actor, passed away on the a few days ago.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-11/stage/voice-actor-tomoyuki-dan-passes-away

Wasn't even that old :(

RIP.

In other Gundam VA news, while Kill la Kill is currently boring me to death I almost spit coke all over my desk when the heroine's uniform opened it's mouth.

et1CEY9l.jpg

is
1Y3Igt5.png

I can't unsee it now. Even if the show continues to be as boring I'll watch it JUST to see what antics Rau will pull next!

Turns out...
We later find a uniform creation lab and suddenly another uniform appears which sounds just like Mu and Rau says he's an imperfect clone of that an old sailor uniform and Mu was the perfect clone. He was born with short cotton strands so thats why he needs to absorb all that blood.

CorvoSol

See, I thought Zeta handled Char and Amuro pretty well. They got enough screen time and stuff to do to be memorable, but didn't steal the limelight from the new characters. If they had any more screentime, you would have had a Seed Destiny situation on your hands, where Athrun and Kira steal Shinn's thunder (though since Shinn sucked, that's not entirely a bad thing, even though Kira sucks even worse)

I didn't want Amuro to replace Kamille, because I think Kamille was one of the few good parts of Zeta. I wanted Amuro to be involved, instead of being a chicken-shit afraid of space who couldn't do more than fuck one of the worst women in the franchise for 50 episodes. Amuro does fuck all of interest in Zeta, to the point where his return to action in CCA is stupid, because Amuro's been doing shit for 100 episodes and suddenly gets the spotlight and the hope of humanity again, and Kamille and Judau, the guys who have basically saved the world while Amuro was doing nothing, get forgotten.

I really don't get why people like Amuro post MSG at all. He becomes who Kai was at the start of MSG, whilst Kai takes over as the cool past cast member who is out there doing shit. Amuro sits around and bitches to the point where, yet again, Frau Bow calls him out on his shit.

I think the moment Amuro is in the Mk-II's hands and he meets Char for the first time in that series is the best moment of the whole franchise.
Besides, Quattro is 100% awesome and in no way could I call his characterization a waste. Amuro was just being Amuro, which was cool as well.
I don't get what there is to dislike about them in Zeta. Those two were the most human characters in that show along with Emma. Kamille was simply great, but didn't feel as human as those three.

I liked Quattro, but I believe I voiced my dislike for the turn that his character took when watching Zeta. Char starts out as a noble villain, and, his reason for living removed, kinda just slums it up on the Argama. Then suddenly all of humanity is riding his dick and he's set up as the son of Zeon Deikun and the intellectual leader of human kind or something. Then he's dead. Then suddenly he's a villain hell-bent on destroying the earth and manipulating little girls. My problem with Char, then, comes less from Zeta than it does from CCA, where his character is hilariously inconsistent with Quattro. Quattro was a mentor to loads of kids, and a positive influence to the point that, while I didn't agree with humanity jumping his bones, I could at least see why everyone onboard the Argama thought highly of him in spite of past sins. But then Char in CCA is a mad man who wants to drop rocks on the Earth, manipulate little girls, and start a war. Also he's alive, with no explanation at all as to how he survived.

Char and Amuro were great in MSG, but their relationship in Zeta was too casual. EVERYONE from the White Base was too accepting of Char. Dude tried to kill them multiple times, and while Bright was around him long enough to trust him, Hayato sucking his dick off was unbelievable, since there was no explanation for how Hayato would come to trust him.

And I really, really hate the "They're newtypes! They relate differently from normal people!" Argument for why Char and Amuro don't hate each other in Zeta, especially because they then turn around and do hate each other in CCA, even though they got along just fine in Zeta. It just is so lazy. Saying people are Newtypes usually just pops up as an excuse for the wacky in combat dialogue and poorly framed relationships. People are willing to launch all kinds of criticism at Haman Khan suddenly falling in love with Judau Ashta for being a Newtype, but nobody seems that concerned that every damn gap in Amuro and Char's relationship is held with the glue of Newtypes.

I think half the reason I liked Crossbone was because Tobia wasn't a Newtype and thought Newtype talk was full of shit, because it gets real old real fast in Zeta. MSG eases you into it and uses it sparingly, and by the time Victory rolls around anything that isn't about tires and wheels is newtypes.

I like Amuro, and I like Char, and that's why I have these complaints: because their characters were wasted and used inconsistently after MSG. Especially in the transition from Zeta to CCA. Much as my complaints might seem leveled at Zeta, though, I should stress that the bulk of my frustration really stems from CCA. If their characters had been where they were in Zeta, I'd not have been so frustrated, because then at least I could accept that they'd just changed. But CCA flip-flops 'em right back to MSG's status quo for the sake of making Char and Amuro fight on the big screen and it's just really bad.

CCA is just a really bad story. Sazabi vs Nu is awesome, but the rest is so bad.

PhiLonius

I feel like if CCA had some sort of straight prequel/flashbacks, it would fix a lot of the gripes you have with it and the Char/Amuro dynamic.

But because it just jumps right into it you start off with a lot of questions, even more so if you had seen MSG - ZZ.

CorvoSol

I feel like if CCA had some sort of straight prequel/flashbacks, it would fix a lot of the gripes you have with it and the Char/Amuro dynamic.

But because it just jumps right into it you start off with a lot of questions, even more so if you had seen MSG - ZZ.

I feel like if Char had either been alive in ZZ or if there had been a show to bridge the gap between CCA and ZZ, then yes, I would not have these complaints. But as it is Char goes from dead to super villain with literally nothing in between.

Let's be honest here. He was just as "dead" at the end of MSG as he was at the end of Zeta. Perhaps more so. At the end of MSG, you have Sayla saying "There is now way my brother could have survived that explosion", which was pretty catestrophic.

Zeta, you see the Hyaku Shiki floating in space, with the cockpit hatch mysteriously open. Then in episode 1 of ZZ, you have Bright just saying that Four Vaginas is missing. At the end of the series, you have Sayla outright saying he's still alive and is probably up to no good.

I don't recall seeing this earlier in the thread, but I just read that Tomoyuki Dan, Chronicle's voice actor, passed away on the a few days ago.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-11/stage/voice-actor-tomoyuki-dan-passes-away

Wasn't even that old :(

I heard about his passing the day after, but considering the reaction I've had to Victory Gundam so far, I thought it would be more fitting to honor his career by rewatching his role as the Weather Dopant on Kamen Rider W.

Still, he will be missed. RIP.

And I really, really hate the "They're newtypes! They relate differently from normal people!" Argument for why Char and Amuro don't hate each other in Zeta, especially because they then turn around and do hate each other in CCA, even though they got along just fine in Zeta. It just is so lazy. Saying people are Newtypes usually just pops up as an excuse for the wacky in combat dialogue and poorly framed relationships. People are willing to launch all kinds of criticism at Haman Khan suddenly falling in love with Judau Ashta for being a Newtype, but nobody seems that concerned that every damn gap in Amuro and Char's relationship is held with the glue of Newtypes.

I thought Amuro couldn't relate to people because he was an introverted tech head, and Char had that whole Count of Monte Cristo thing going on. Char was way more sociable in his Quattro persona during the first half of Zeta, so its not like he had a fundamental issue with his personality. The way I see it, Quatro was willing to put his grudge aside for the sake of AEUG, and Amuro was too numb from the One Year War to push an eight-year grudge without some sort of irritant to force his hand. That said, the show doesn't actually show much to support that idea, so I can see where you're coming from. And there's no explanation for Hayato being so enthusiastic about Quattro after he pieces things together, but Hayato has always been the type of character that just pops up to serve a purpose, so it's just what he does. It's the main reason why I hate him so much. The minute Hayato ends up talking about his barely-hinted-at envy for Amuro near the end of 0079, I developed an intense dislike for him.

I like Amuro, and I like Char, and that's why I have these complaints: because their characters were wasted and used inconsistently after MSG. Especially in the transition from Zeta to CCA. Much as my complaints might seem leveled at Zeta, though, I should stress that the bulk of my frustration really stems from CCA. If their characters had been where they were in Zeta, I'd not have been so frustrated, because then at least I could accept that they'd just changed. But CCA flip-flops 'em right back to MSG's status quo for the sake of making Char and Amuro fight on the big screen and it's just really bad.

CCA is just a really bad story. Sazabi vs Nu is awesome, but the rest is so bad.

I agree. I've heard people explain why it makes sense for Amuro and Char to act the way they do in CCA, but I've never heard a satisfactory explanation. Even with the time that's passed, even with the tragedy of it all, it just seems a bit forced.

CorvoSol

Let's be honest here. He was just as "dead" at the end of MSG as he was at the end of Zeta. Perhaps more so. At the end of MSG, you have Sayla saying "There is now way my brother could have survived that explosion", which was pretty catestrophic.

Zeta, you see the Hyaku Shiki floating in space, with the cockpit hatch mysteriously open. Then in episode 1 of ZZ, you have Bright just saying that Four Vaginas is missing. At the end of the series, you have Sayla outright saying he's still alive and is probably up to no good.

In MSG there's just a big explosion and nobody ever dies in those. In Zeta the Hyaku Shiki blew up, didn't it? But beyond that, Lt. Quatro is just doing his own thing, not drawing attention to himself. His being alive isn't a big deal in Zeta compared to CCA. In CCA he's alive, has an army and is a villain. He goes from dead to having an army and being a villain, and it is a huge shift from where he was in Zeta, much more so than the shift from MSG to Zeta.

Nope, Hyaku shiki did not explode. It got "sort of" crushed, but after the
scene where Fa takes Kamille and the Zeta back to the Argama
, the very last shot is of the Hyaku Shiki floating in space, with the cockpit open and empty, implying that Char got out of it.

CorvoSol

Nope, Hyaku shiki did not explode. It got "sort of" crushed, but after the
scene where Fa takes Kamille and the Zeta back to the Argama
, the very last shot is of the Hyaku Shiki floating in space, with the cockpit open and empty, implying that Char got out of it.

It must've been the fact that everyone else dies in that episode that left the impression that Char also dies.

But my point stands. Char goes form being no one to having villainous command of the Zeon Army and dropping meteors with 0 explanation and it is horrible.

I wouldn't say there was 0 explanation. There are a few lines in CCA about how Char had spent the time between series sneaking around colonies gaining influence by exploiting his father's name. It certainly is something that could have used much more screen time developing though

CorvoSol

I wouldn't say there was 0 explanation. There are a few lines in CCA about how Char had spent the time between series sneaking around colonies gaining influence by exploiting his father's name. It certainly is something that could have used much more screen time developing though

ZZ Gundam ends Char is nowhere to be seen and Judau is getting on a plane to the Honduras to live out his days in teenage marital bliss with Roux. The Neo Zeon are beaten, the Titans are gone, and Kamille is dancing on a beach.

CCA opens and Char has an army and is waging a war and is the bad guy. It's so sudden I got whiplash.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch
Episode 39: The Song of the Wings of Light

The episode starts off with a recap of the last episode, and some blurb about the V2 unlocking its true power. Between that and the title, it's pretty clear that we're gonna get some sweet MAX POWER Wings of Light action.

The LM heads back to Kashirelia to regroup, now that the treaty's clearly in shambles. Uso takes point on their return; he spends most of the trip cradling his mother's helmet in his arms, and we get another gratuitous flashback to Mueller's decapitation. This would be a lot more effective if it were used sparingly. Thinking about it makes all that RAGE and VENGENCE he's got inside him bubble over, and when the White Ark spots some enemy craft, he goes off at 'em. Except, they don't engage. The crew think it's weird, but there's not much to be done.

The crew gets a short reprieve to check out home (most likely to get certain members of the crew to stop warbling about the damn place before everyone else goes nuts), but wouldn't you know it, they're spotted and tracked by the BESPA soldiers from before, lead by one Lt. Machis. They're intent on avenging the losses at Largaine, and they feel like they can't go back home until they do. There's no clever plan here though, no do-or-die stratagem meant to bypass direct combat with superior machinery - they're just gonna Zerg Rush the LM, and they're going to start by trashing the White Ark. Shakti starts singing some sort of weird little dream she might have learned here, which has the same melody as the music that played during the somber moments in the early episodes of the show. The head of the squad overhears the song, and muses that such peaceful children must be a sign that the Earth is a good place to raise children. If he only knew who was singing that song to begin with.

Up to this point in the show, I fail to see why the White Ark is considered to be such a strong tactical advantage. Yeah, it's pretty handy having a support ship/mobile carrier, but they keep hammering away at it to the point of ignoring direct attacks from the mobile suits, and it always backfires. In this case, the fact that Machis and his crew made a beeline straight to the Ark means that the Ark had to extend its shields near a lake, which in turn sent a bunch of water and fish flying every which way, which alerted the others on the other side of the hills. Convoluted, but more sensible than sensing 'pressure' from miles away, at the very least.

Uso tells Shakti and the kids to hole up in his cabin while he runs off to grab some gear, namely his paraglider and hoverbike. The truth is that this is the perfect excuse for him to start wearing his cap and try to get some wicked air, but he just can't bear to tell anyone what he's really up to.

WUU6Hal.png

The crazy bastard decides to paraglide straight towards the Ark during a firefight, just to try and slip past the enemy without them noticing - because hey, it worked the last time, right? Apparently Batstraff heard about Uso pulling stunts like this from Marbet, since he decides to have the V2 shoved off the ship so that Uso can slip in, somehow - because hey, it worked the last time, right? Amazingly enough, dropping a massive war machine seems to garner attention; Machis sees the V2 Gundam falling like a rock, and figures that they're trying to sortie, so he takes a shot at it.

The shot pierces Uso's parachute, but completely misses the V2, causing Uso to smash into the V2's hand and get tangled up. A few moments later, the V2 parts the waters with the Wings of Light. Apparenly Uso shook off blunt force trauma and a possible concussion, held his breath long enough to activate the suit, and breached all on his lonesome. And at this point, I realized that this episode was basically an amalgam of the first 10 episodes, the Greatest Hits version, if you will.

Anyway, Uso starts to pick off the recon team; he takes down a particularly enthusiastic enemy with one clean shot. Uso's honestly shocked that the enemies aren't even good enough to try to dodge his attacks. Uso's hesitant to kill a bunch of idiots, even if they're the same people who killed his mom. For some reason. So the rest of the LM start adding to their kill count. Tomache, in particular, is really gung-ho about it, which leads to him being lured into the recon team's hidden base of operations - the hornet's nest, so to speak - and are quickly outnumbered by a bunch of docking suits (because fuck yeah, jets that dock to transform. Way better than helicopters.)

Uso remembers how a core explosion botched his attempt at rescuing his mother, and decides that he can't let them explode normally, so he plants himself under the fleets and maxes out the WoL. It takes out everyone except the Lt., who goes in for a kamikaze attack. Marbet covers his ass again, but Machis detaches his torso and slips past her, heading straight for Uso. He tries to drag Uso down, but Uso stops his attack and plants a saber right into the suit's core. As the core breaks down, Machis starts screaming at Uso, saying that it's his fault everything turned out this way and if it wasn't for him he could have brought his family on earth to live in peace and blah blah blah. Uso, realizing that they basically want the same thing, tries to help him at least get out of the damn cockpit before it explodes, and he actually forces it open (while the core is damaged, mind) to try and get him out. Somehow the core stays intact long enough for Machis to go throught the whole 'but your're just a kid' thing, and for Uso to grab him and jump. Not that it matters, since he succums to his injuries and dies anyway.

They bury the dead, and have a sort of impromptu funeral. Shakti sings that song on Uso's request, because it's what that jerk Machis would have wanted.

I'm not really buying the whole idea of Uso being in emotional turmoil, but it's something at least. Odelo and Warren's little competition to see who hooks up with the Kranskie sisters is starting to become totally threadbare, the Kranskies' thalassophobia is still forced, and everyone else seems to have adjusted to a soldier's life episodes ago, so I guess the show has to have some kind of drama. Still, I'm annoyed that this was basically a bunch of spots from the first few episodes rolled into one.

Gundam Seed HD Episode 46
tumblr_muxe2baKGi1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_muxe2baKGi1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Been so long but am finally nearly done with the series, will miss all characters involved and htis turly felt like a nearly final episode. I kind of hope other gundams took inspiration from it, or at least Build Fighters, because I too would want some romance in the plot, Sei and Reiji please
kiss just like Kira and Lacus did, and eventually like Athrun and Cagalli did (so long even).

Genesis was incredible and was just shocked for a really long time over this long distance weapon of mass destruction, I cant even imagine how retaliation will be possible. I just hope all my characters, Yzak, Dearka, Living CPUS, Athrun, Kira, even Badrigeul, and Azareal, Natarle can make it out of this situation alive.

CorvoSol

Has he got to the part with
the nukes aimed at the colonies
? That was the best part of the show, and some of my favorite SRW J levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom