• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

BattleMonkey said:
He was like the best most grounded of all Gundam characters, I swear Tomino must not have been involved in his creation.
Tomino wasn't depressed for ZZ.

Same thing for Turn A too.

I believe that's what happened. I actually think you can categorize the different series by how depressed Tomino was during their creation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=0.

Bandai panel transcript. They're talking about Unicorn right now.

21:37:36 <bay|Ota|BEI> 80 min
21:37:42 <bay|Ota|BEI> 60 min feature/20 min bonus
21:37:50 <bay|Ota|BEI> press release will be out later
21:37:54 <bay|Ota|BEI> 6 subtitle languages
21:37:58 <bay|Ota|BEI> 4 audio tracks
21:38:12 <bay|Ota|BEI> from sunrise, we have a never before seen preview for UC2

American PSN release for October 30th as well!

Blader

If they had people auditioning for Full Frontal, that must mean they aren't using Michael Kopsa again. =\

boourns!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
If they had people auditioning for Full Frontal, that must mean they aren't using Michael Kopsa again. =\

boourns!

I'm not surprised, they got someone else for Zeta Gundam too.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:

boourns!
He was the best english "char".

I'm not surprised, they got someone else for Zeta Gundam too.
The VA of char and amuro in zeta gundam always sounded like that they tried to imitate the original dub as much as possible.:lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
22:35:50 <bay|Ota|BEI> Q: Is there a plan to re-release the original Gundam?
22:36:09 <bay|Ota|BEI> A; That's one of the most asked for thing.. we had that question a lot at CC, so i had a meeting the other day, and I requested it.
22:36:41 <bay|Ota|BEI> Q: (The other unlicensed Gundams?)
22:36:43 <bay|Ota|BEI> A; One by one...

DO IT BANDAI

I'd lol if Bandai US licensed X and it somehow became as big as Wing was worldwide. That's never gonna happen this day and age, but still...

I'm surprised they never picked it up with G, despite its failure in Japan. It pretty much could have solidified Gundam's success overseas since it is a very similar show in tone to Wing. Sometimes, Japan can be so myopic.

Hell, if Turn A somehow got relatively popular in its own right, that would be great. I'm hoping for some kind of critical acclaim for the show and maybe a return to weird Gundam in Japan because of it. Though that's probably not gonna happen since Crossbone is almost a lock for the next TV series.

Someone post James Cameron the Turn A DVD boxset and if he likes it, quote him so they can put it on the box of a special edition.

Zapages

Mr. Pointy said:
I'd lol if Bandai US licensed X and it somehow became as big as Wing was worldwide. That's never gonna happen this day and age, but still...

I'm surprised they never picked it up with G, despite its failure in Japan. It pretty much could have solidified Gundam's success overseas since it is a very similar show in tone to Wing. Sometimes, Japan can be so myopic.

Hell, if Turn A somehow got relatively popular in its own right, that would be great. I'm hoping for some kind of critical acclaim for the show and maybe a return to weird Gundam in Japan because of it. Though that's probably not gonna happen since Crossbone is almost a lock for the next TV series.

Someone post James Cameron the Turn A DVD boxset and if he likes it, quote him so they can put it on the box of a special edition.

More UC Gundam, awesome!!!

Blader

Mr. Pointy said:

It really isn't. It looks like Wing, but is tonally pretty different.

Though that's probably not gonna happen since Crossbone is almost a lock for the next TV series.

wtf?!?! When did this happen?

Not that I wouldn't be extremely interested in a Crossbone series, but personally I hadn't heard anything about that.

edit - found it! :lol And it's from 2ch apparently. Interesting, especially since I remember someone asking Tomino at some panel a year ago (at the most) about whether or not Crossbone would ever be animated, and he said he'd like to do it if he could get some investors for the project.

Dambrosi

Banned
Blader5489 said:
It really isn't. It looks like Wing, but is tonally pretty different.
Yeah, I liked X, especially since
I found its answer to the "Newtype Question" refreshing after SEED's Ultimate Coordinator bullshit pissed me off.

Blader5489 said:
wtf?!?! When did this happen?

Not that I wouldn't be extremely interested in a Crossbone series, but personally I hadn't heard anything about that.

edit - found it! :lol And it's from 2ch apparently. Interesting, especially since I remember someone asking Tomino at some panel a year ago (at the most) about whether or not Crossbone would ever be animated, and he said he'd like to do it if he could get some investors for the project.
It's just /m/'s (and apparently 2ch's :lol ) wishful thinking, don't pay it any mind. Not that I'd mind a full-on late-UC revival in the least, mind you. Just, please - no Tomino. Dude can't hack it anymore (see Wings Of Rean).

Regarding the original Gundam re-release, I'd think that, if the project were to have any substantial success in the West (outside of the tiny group of Gundam fans who might not even buy it anyway), they'd have to remake it from scratch. They tried something like that with SEED, but that turned into something totally different (and not as good) by the second half. And then came Destiny, which finished that particular sub-franchise off.

If it were me, I'd do three movies based on the original scripts, with all new animation and VAs (hell, maybe even live-action/CG, BayFormers-style), and a mix of old and new soundtracks. Seems like the surest thing to me.

X-Frame

October 30th for Episode 2? I guess it's good we have a date - and I assume the long turn around time is because they're dubbing it in Japanese and English at the same time?

Makes sense, but I really hope it's not another 7-8 months until Episode 3.

Dambrosi said:
Regarding the original Gundam re-release, I'd think that, if the project were to have any substantial success in the West (outside of the tiny group of Gundam fans who might not even buy it anyway), they'd have to remake it from scratch. They tried something like that with SEED, but that turned into something totally different (and not as good) by the second half. And then came Destiny, which finished that particular sub-franchise off.

If it were me, I'd do three movies based on the original scripts, with all new animation and VAs (hell, maybe even live-action/CG, BayFormers-style), and a mix of old and new soundtracks. Seems like the surest thing to me.

Hitting it big in the west is pretty much never going to happen, all they can hope for is decent video sales. SEED, Destiny, etc have all done fine for Bandai Ent, it's the old stuff which have all been financial failures for them so they took a hiatus from doing old material. Them bringing in Turn A is weird though they probably think it's so different especially visually, that it might have a chance of getting some success.

There is no chance though that they would do a Gundam project like a remake of 0079 just to get the west interested at this point, it would still be a Japancentric project.

X-Frame said:
Makes sense, but I really hope it's not another 7-8 months until Episode 3.

Doubt your going to see these episodes coming out any faster

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was convinced I would hit retirement before Unicorn ep 2 came out. How many eps is the entire thing supposed to be? 6?

Zapages said:
More UC Gundam, awesome!!!
I sure hope if its a new Gundam UC thing its based on some already made source material. At this point even if it was a UC show, I wouldn't trust Sunrsie to make good show. Hell I'm not to hot on Unicron.

B.K. said:
I hope they do rerelease Mobile Suit Gundam. At least people are asking for it.

A rerelease with actual subs and not the touched up special lens flare effects, and original opening/ed put back in.

Blader5489 said:
The only good thing about Hathaway's Flash was the ending.

Which is what I want animated

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BattleMonkey said:
Leave Crossbone in the manga, meh.

Give me animated Hathaways Flash :lol

More UC animated is always a good thing. Although Hathaway's Flash is a bit depressing...

I'd rather have more UC than another Alternate Universe at this point though.

Jex

BattleMonkey said:
Explosions: The Movie

"If we times everything by four it wil be 4x better then the show!

More ships!

More lasers!

More explosions!

More shield bits!

MORE"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is it me, or does it feel like the budget went down for Gundam X? Gundam W seemed to be animated a bit better, imo.

Kagari said:
Is it me, or does it feel like the budget went down for Gundam X? Gundam W seemed to be animated a bit better, imo.
Yeah, there were constant production issues with X, which led to its shitty time slot and shortened series.

I also just ordered the HG 1/144 00 Qan[t] and 1/144 Avalanche Exia models. I love the 00 lineage. :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kagari said:
It looked like the budget went down for each one. Wing looked worse than G, while X looked worse than Wing.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
Fucking Ribbons! :lol

Also, that trailer adds more fuel to the fire re: the rumors of
Setsuna dying.

What a twi-

Wait, no.

Well, done with Turn A. What an awesome show.

Time to start the the main movie trilogy!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bebpo said:
Yeah, I mean the show got canceled :p

Yeah, I knew that. I also heard the show's pacing was really slow. I'm only on episode 3 now, but it doesn't seem to be too bad.

Blader

Kagari said:
Yeah, I knew that. I also heard the show's pacing was really slow. I'm only on episode 3 now, but it doesn't seem to be too bad.

Turn A is slow. X's pacing is erratic.

For the first 25ish episodes, there's a new arc per 5 episodes. Then after that (which is when the cancellation notice came in iirc) the story goes into lightspeed, and things begin happening really quickly.

MechaX

GONz said:
Trailer for the 00 movie is available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6EjNQtw-4

I'm expecting this money to be absolutely stupid and filled with overpowered Gundams and explosions, and it definitely seems like they have that down at the moment.

Anyway, my life has been rather devoid of Gundam as of late and I find that... different, to say the least. I was thinking of rewatching Zeta for the hell of it, but now Bandai has licensed Turn A. I watched the first 10 episodes and while those episodes were good in their own right, good God was it a slow burn. Hopefully I'll be in the right frame of mind by the time they release it so that I'll be able to finish it.

GONz

BattleMonkey said:
Explosions: The Movie
:lol Indeed

But that'll make some brainless distraction during my currentUC binge (Zeta, 0083, 8th MS Team, gearing up to 0080 and Char's Counterattack, then Unicorn 1 and 2). I don't really know what to think of ZZ, I don't really have the will or time these days to go for a 50 episodes series that on top of that is a bit off-tone for the UC.. I think I'll just find some summary online >.>

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GONz said:
:lol Indeed

But that'll make some brainless distraction during my currentUC binge (Zeta, 0083, 8th MS Team, gearing up to 0080 and Char's Counterattack, then Unicorn 1 and 2). I don't really know what to think of ZZ, I don't really have the will or time these days to go for a 50 episodes series that on top of that is a bit off-tone for the UC.. I think I'll just find some summary online >.>

Don't skip ZZ. You'll miss the most level-headed Tomino main character ever.

Shouta

Kagari said:

<3 the GX and the X-Divider, favorite Gundam hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom