• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

So I was really excited to hear Deathscythe was going to be getting a figure in the Master Grade line. However I don't really like the design of it compared to Hell Kai from the EW OVA. Supposedly this image says they left design space open so they could do it down the road? Can anyone with Japanese knowledge translate?

Much appreciated.

4875314931_5562d2da22.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Gundam X was great, yeah. The animation might be iffy, but Garrod is a great lead and the side characters are pretty likable/interesting as well. Even the main plot is not bad other than being rushed. The only thing I didn't like was the mech designs for the two support mechs on Garrod's team and the Frost Bros are a bit annoying.

The DX is a really cool design. It's basically Freedom Beta.

Blader

^ :lol Yeah, the Frost Brothers were pretty terrible villains.

X had a couple good mech designs. Most of them looked like UC/Wing rejects, but the X itself was pretty cool looking. And...I guess that was it. :lol

hteng

Banned
distantmantra said:
Yeah, it was posted about a year ago. Still just as awesome, though.

it sucks, it's missing alot of other non-anime gundams, particularly gundam sentinel, blue destiny, crossbone...etc. Instead we get trash like destiny, seed, 00.

GONz

donkey show said:
http://imgur.com/yAs1M.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've never witnessed with my own eyes the trash that was SEED Destiny yet find that picture is hilarious :lol Poor Amuro:lol

zoku88

Huh, maybe I really AM the only one who doesn't like Turn A. I thought it was silly.

I need my depressed Tomino >.>

Liked the music, though

Bebpo

Banned
It's great, but fairly slow and boring for most of the middle. The beginning and the end are the best and the end is really really good. I remember some river rafting ep around the middle that I fell asleep during.

The characters are great, the mecha are great, the music and art is great, it's just the plot is kind of lolz for a lot of it. In a "we have no plot, so we'll just have the characters run around" kind of lolz way.

I really liked it overall, but definitely not one of my favorite. I think Gundam X is my favorite 90s Gundam followed by G Gundam for a close 2nd.

Jex

You're doing it right.

PG Turn A Gundam plz. I would buy that shit so fast.

Well I've only seen 00, War in the Pocket, 08thMS Team and the first Gundam Movie, I do prefer Turn A to pretty much all of that. Even though War in the Pocket has tighter direction.

S. L.

zoku88 said:
Huh, maybe I really AM the only one who doesn't like Turn A. I thought it was silly.

I need my depressed Tomino >.>

Liked the music, though
the
Diana switch plot
was the most ridiculous thing ever :lol

Shouta

donkey show said:
NO! Freedom is DX wannabe. =P

Indeed!

The GX and DX are overpowered though. Gundam Bits ahoy!

Dead said:
Gundam X wins for most awesome OP songs of any Gundam show ever

This is correct. Romantic Mode rocks, shame they aren't together anymore but the CDs they put out are great.

Bebpo said:
It's great, but fairly slow and boring for most of the middle. The beginning and the end are the best and the end is really really good. I remember some river rafting ep around the middle that I fell asleep during.

The characters are great, the mecha are great, the music and art is great, it's just the plot is kind of lolz for a lot of it. In a "we have no plot, so we'll just have the characters run around" kind of lolz way.

I really liked it overall, but definitely not one of my favorite. I think Gundam X is my favorite 90s Gundam followed by G Gundam for a close 2nd.

I agree, I liked most everyting about the series, but the story just sucked. The pacing of the plots was just really awkward. The show had lot of interesting and fresh things to it, but the plot was really weak and felt very stretched out to fit into almost 50 some episodes when it could have been done with half that. Course it has alot of the usual odd random Tomino characters who just do shit out of the blue.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BattleMonkey said:
I agree, I liked most everyting about the series, but the story just sucked. The pacing of the plots was just really awkward. The show had lot of interesting and fresh things to it, but the plot was really weak and felt very stretched out to fit into almost 50 some episodes when it could have been done with half that. Course it has alot of the usual odd random Tomino characters who just do shit out of the blue.
Pretty much every tomino gundam series in existence can be described as such. Although, i feel turn a is one of the only series he's made that felt worthy of it's length. Sure the pacing was typical tomino, but he somehow managed to make it work in comparison to his other shows.

Lafiel said:
Pretty much every tomino gundam series in existence can be described as such. Although, i feel turn a is one of the only series he's made that felt worthy of it's length. Sure the pacing was typical tomino, but he somehow managed to make it work in comparison to his other shows.

I completely disagree. At least with his typical shows hes done, hes had a good excuse of it being a war drama and able to easily fill the series with action sequences and need for extended battles around the world. In Turn A there was a LOT of just meandering about with no real consequence or importance to the plot whatsoever. The show doesn't really even get into it's plot till far later in the series with the show having an almost episodic feel to it throughout the middle as you have Loran trying to keep the peace and deal with stupid people. Near the end the show basically just tosses in your generic Gundam baddie and war to make it go somewhere.

The show was quality production and I think it gets away with a lot of it's negatives because it was so good and different in many other aspects.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BattleMonkey said:
I completely disagree. At least with his typical shows hes done, hes had a good excuse of it being a war drama and able to easily fill the series with action sequences and need for extended battles around the world. In Turn A there was a LOT of just meandering about with no real consequence or importance to the plot whatsoever. The show doesn't really even get into it's plot till far later in the series with the show having an almost episodic feel to it throughout the middle as you have Loran trying to keep the peace and deal with stupid people. Near the end the show basically just tosses in your generic Gundam baddie and war to make it go somewhere.

The show was quality production and I think it gets away with a lot of it's negatives because it was so good and different in many other aspects.

Yeah, but i personally find those gundam battles in shows like zeta gundam / victory / msg to be tedious to go through at times. (especially some of the stock animation argh) At least with those "slow" moments in turn a you had some fairly enjoyable character interactions.

And in fact, the way they paced the series is one of the many interesting things i liked about the show, especially if you consider that the first half of the show is essentially slice-of-life x gundam, while the second half is more typical gundam in execution.

Finally had some time to burn this weekend (aside from the LA GAF party) and finished up my latest set of 00 HG 1/144s.

2010augustpickups04.JPG

The QAN[T] is just as flexible as the 00 and is an overall nice model.

00qant00.JPG

Yay lineage suits!

00qant02.JPG

And for super lulz, I placed the QAN[T]'s binder on my 00 XN Raiser Eleven Sword G. :lol

00qant01.JPG

Jex

Lafiel said:
Yeah, but i personally find those gundam battles in shows like zeta gundam / victory / msg to be tedious to go through at times. (especially some of the stock animation argh) At least with those "slow" moments in turn a you had some fairly enjoyable character interactions.

And in fact, the way they paced the series is one of the many interesting things i liked about the show, especially if you consider that the first half of the show is essentially slice-of-life x gundam, while the second half is more typical gundam in execution.
Pretty much. I was never bored during Turn A, as pretty much every episode was enjoyable and a little bit different even though the "over arching plot" wasn't especially strong.

Blader

Unicorn episode 2 - dub promo

At first I was disappointed they didn't bring back Michael Kopsa to voice Full Frontal...but the new guy sounds just like him. :lol

Here's a list of the new VAs:

RIDDHE MARCENAS: Yuri Lowenthal
FULL FRONTAL: Keith Silverstein
ANGELO SAUPER: Michael Sinterniklaas
OTTO MITAS: Michael Sorich
LIAM BORRINEA: Cindy Robinson
DAGUZA MACKLE: Kirk Thornton
MIHIRO OIWAKKEN: Michelle Ruff
ALBERTO VIST: JB Blanc

Mr. Pointy said:
Does that make it a Seventeen Sword G?
Why yes, yes it does. When the Qan[T] Full Blade comes out later on, it'll be 22 Sword G. :lol

Gunpla Builders. No subs, so you'll have to fill in the blanks.

Build Gunpla, battle with Last Starfighter-esque arcade machines, get bitches.

Only in Japan.

Blader5489 said:
Unicorn episode 2 - dub promo

At first I was disappointed they didn't bring back Michael Kopsa to voice Full Frontal...but the new guy sounds just like him. :lol

Here's a list of the new VAs:

RIDDHE MARCENAS: Yuri Lowenthal
FULL FRONTAL: Keith Silverstein
ANGELO SAUPER: Michael Sinterniklaas
OTTO MITAS: Michael Sorich
LIAM BORRINEA: Cindy Robinson
DAGUZA MACKLE: Kirk Thornton
MIHIRO OIWAKKEN: Michelle Ruff
ALBERTO VIST: JB Blanc

I know that RightStuf and Bandai have it up for preorder, but is Amazon ever going to start preorders on volume 2?!?

Anyone have an idea or guess when there will be a Gundam 00 season 1 box set release in the US?

I think I spend too much time searching amazon for hopes.

Urban Scholar said:
Anyone have an idea or guess when there will be a Gundam 00 season 1 box set release in the US?

I think I spend too much time searching amazon for hopes.

Probably another year. Late 2011/early 2012 at the earliest. Still holding out hope for a Blu-ray release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom