• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoshi1

What would be a good replacement for Gundam markers in the US?

I can't order any online(No cash on my card), but I have a bunch of bills from selling stuff. Would Micheal's have a good substitute?

What would be a good replacement for Gundam markers in the US?

I can't order any online(No cash on my card), but I have a bunch of bills from selling stuff. Would Micheal's have a good substitute?

I haven't built a Gundam model in ages, but Michael's used to carry Sakura pens that I would use for panel lines.

PhiLonius

if you're just panel lining and you've got steady enough hands you can paint the lines in with a really fine tip brush,

Or a small point mechanical pencil if you're just going for dark/grey lines.

Chinner

Banned
people seem to suggest enamel paint and lighter fluid, as it can flows down and its super easy to clean afterwards with lgihtfluid on a earbud.

gonna try it and see what happens.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Seed - 30
laUW8eJ.png
0pVS8Gu.png
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The obvious death flags finally played their part in the past two episodes. I understand that
Nicol
died so that
Tolle
could be killed, and spark more conflict between Kira and Athrun, but those were far too obvious. Or do I just know anime tropes too well? Anyway, how in the name of Cthulhu could
Kira survive that explosion
that happened right in his face??

CorvoSol

Gundam Seed - 30

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The obvious death flags finally played their part in the past two episodes. I understand that
Nicol
died so that
Tolle
could be killed, and spark more conflict between Kira and Athrun, but those were far too obvious. Or do I just know anime tropes too well? Anyway, how in the name of Cthulhu could
Kira survive that explosion
that happened right in his face??

Kira is Jesus.

DUH.

Finished MSG a while back, which I thought was pretty good. Though episodic formula got really repetitive for a good chunk of show. The whole Lala/newtype final arc made up for it though.

Started MS Zeta Gundam. Really impressed so far (2episodes). Awesome art direction and music (that opening theme). Plenty of Char badassery and people being knocked out left right and center. Am I in for a good time?

A lot of people consider Zeta Gundam as one of the finest shows in the franchise. There is a rather large group that doesn't care for it though.

I think it's pretty good, as long as you watch the sub version.

CorvoSol

Finished MSG a while back, which I thought was pretty good. Though episodic formula got really repetitive for a good chunk of show. The whole Lala/newtype final arc made up for it though.

Started MS Zeta Gundam. Really impressed so far (2episodes). Awesome art direction and music (that opening theme). Plenty of Char badassery and people being knocked out left right and center. Am I in for a good time?

Oh sure, until you meet Katz and Poptarts.

Then your fun dies a horrible death, ZETA SPOILERS
just like every character in the show!

Watching the subbed version.

Wasn't Katz one of the children on the White Base on MSG? Thought I was past all that nonsense about civilians being dragged on a year long military operation.

Oh yea. Episode 2. I saw a federation/titan soldier pilot a zaku. Weren't zaku's used exclusively by the zeons?

CorvoSol

Wasn't Katz one of the children on the White Base on MSG? Thought I was past all that nonsense about civilians being dragged on a year long military operation.

Oh yea. Episode 2. I saw a federation/titan soldier pilot a zaku. Weren't zaku's used exclusively by the zeons?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nope, what you saw is called a Hizack. After the war, the companies that made Zeon suits were absorbed into other companies. The Hizack is kind of a combonation between a Zaku and GM, technology wise.

B.K.

I didn't really like Zeta very much. I couldn't stand how stupid everyone was in the show.

CorvoSol

Never watch Ideon, Corvo.
Would you believe me if i said Tomino is the George Lucas of Japan? His stuff was great until he introduced the kid in the bowl cut who kept hitting onolder women.

Now the prospect of watching other shows by him is met with apprehension.

PhiLonius

Would you believe me if i said Tomino is the George Lucas of Japan? His stuff was great until he introduced the kid in the bowl cut who kept hitting onolder women.

Now the prospect of watching other shows by him is met with apprehension.

XfXFlBN.jpg

To be fair, after Victory he did make Turn A. Lucas hasn't made up for Ep I - III.

I'd say there are other directors who are far more "George Lucas-y" than Tomino.

And in any case Ideon is a pretty good series, with an even better movie follow up. You just would hate it because you apparently don't like kids in shows, and there are definitely kids (and babies) in the show, and they are extremely important to the plot.

CorvoSol

XfXFlBN.jpg

To be fair, after Victory he did make Turn A. Lucas hasn't made up for Ep I - III.

Fair enough.

I'd say there are other directors who are far more "George Lucas-y" than Tomino.

And in any case Ideon is a pretty good series, with an even better movie follow up. You just would hate it because you apparently don't like kids in shows, and there are definitely kids (and babies) in the show, and they are extremely important to the plot.

Well 1) after you predicted I'd hate Sochie in Turn A and were wrong I'm gonna branch out and guess you're bad at predicting what I like, haha,

And 2) I don't hate kids. I hate the horrible little imitation children in these shows. Shinta and Qum in Zeta and especially ZZ were pretty fine. It's when the kids either behave INCESSANTLY like those brats from The Nightmare Before Christmas (like the shitspawns in Eureka Seven) or when, like Karlman, they serve no role save it be to shriek incessantly in every scene they were in. I cannot see how anyone doesn't hate Karlman, because he makes every scene he is in physically painful for the viewer.

The kids from White Base weren't all that bad (until Katz hit puberty and then WHOOO BOY) and the baby in F91 is far less intrusive than Karlman. But when these directors feel the need to just have three little demons running around for no purpose in the plot, it's grating. It hardly ruins the show, though. The kids from White Base did not ruin MSG. Shinta and Qum were hardly problematic compared to the many faults I did find in Zeta. Karlmann, for all I hate his filthy guts, was the very least of Victory's problems.

And I'll go so far as to say I enjoy some shows with these brats (Eureka Seven, MSG) way more than I do shows without them (Gundam AGE, Eureka Seven Astral Ocean.) So the kids, while pains in the proverbial ass, are hardly the sum total of my problems or feelings regarding a show.

Boogiepop

Is this the right place to ask Gundam model questions? Because I picked up one at Otakon, and I am getting ungodly frustrated. It's this fellow here. I've picked up a few models in the past and never run into any problems.

This guy, though... I've gotten to the full assembly step for the body, and the joints/slots/whatever you want to call them attaching the legs to the waist and the upper body to the waist are awful unless I'm missing something. I can't even adjust the legs or even put them in the way shown in the manual (connecter to waist, then legs to connecter) without the things falling out. And the upper body doesn't even feel like it's on there. I can take a picture later if necessary, but the problem in both instances seems to arrive from connecting rods sticking out of the spherical connecters that have semi-circular rings cut out on both sides down the length. It's like the makers of the kit think having that pattern makes them stick, but far as I can tell they're awful and they just didn't give enough depth to the waist part for the thing to work.

Other than this the build feels great, so I'm super, super frustrated to find these crucial joints not working right. I'm really hoping I'm just being dumb and missing something, because as-is this is driving me nuts.

I haven't built the kit, but I've heard some pretty harsh things about that kit. I think your problem is just simply that it's a poorly engineered kit in general. A shame, because it's a pretty awesome design

Boogiepop

I haven't built the kit, but I've heard some pretty harsh things about that kit. I think your problem is just simply that it's a poorly engineered kit in general. A shame, because it's a pretty awesome design

Dang. I was hoping there was some kind of trick I was missing (though I have no idea what else anyone could possibly do anyway). It's just baffling. Everything else works fine and snaps together well. I don't get how such crucial joints could be made so poorly. The waist can't even hold itself on properly, much less the added weight of the legs! I guess I'll just finish it up and prop it up, hoping nothing ever shakes it and causes the legs to pop off.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters - 05
Ranba Ral should go to jail.
Always hanging out to children, taking them to bars, and now he breaks into their houses while they have mind battles?

I don't really like the new kansai kid..

Best episode of Gunpla Build Fighters so far. All those Victory Gundam references, Wing Fenice's Obari entrance, picking up chicks with Gunpla,
THIS IS NO BEST MECHA COLLECTION BOY, NO BEST MECHA COLLECTION!

Mao is awesome. Anyone who's a fan of X is a true inheritor of the Earth.

OK, so Gundam Build Fighters has led to Gundam 00, infatuation with Dynames and my first two Gunpla (1:144 kit for work and 1:100 kit for home). I used to build Airfix kits when I was a kid so much of the putting things together is familiar. I had a really great evening on Saturday putting together the 1:100 kit - it was nice to do something that *wasn't* GW2.

I have a natural affinity to giant robots thanks to being programmed by Hasbro from a very early age but this is all my first Gundam stuff, so it's all relatively new and very confusing.

It's quite hard to find kits here in London though. Does anyone know any shops that stock them other than TokyoToys in the Trocadero? Or am I going to have to buy online?

Next up, Cherudims for work and home :)

Another pretty cool episode this week.

A little let down by the Victory Gundam vs Wing Gundam fight. I was getting hyped as hell but then it was over pretty quick. I guess they want to save the Fenice for later.

Mao is pretty cool. I like him. I wish he'd give me a a Kshatriya :(

I'm actually warming up to Kousaka.

Tecl0n

dat G Gundam reference. Also i find it funny how
in their imagination they are each wearing the corresponding pilot clothes.

Yo Italy straight up called that woman a Victory Gundam to her face. No wonder she didn't stick around.

That scene was hilarious to me because for a moment there I was certain that he was kidding. Fucking Victory.

I did like how that new kid simply built a Kshatriya on a moving truck and gave it to the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom