• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only found this thread now. Pretty new to the series, with only Gundam 00 under my belt but I've started watching 0079. 4 episodes in and it's pretty cool. Char is a total badass and I like Amuro and the rest of the White Base crew. Obviously, compared to G00 the action is a bit lacking but I'm really enjoying everything else. Also the music oh god the music.

I never found the action to be lacking in 0079, personally. I mean, yeah of course the animation isn't as good, but the fight choreography itself is pretty damn solid. Much more close combat in it than in a lot of the later shows. It's much more visceral.

Only found this thread now. Pretty new to the series, with only Gundam 00 under my belt but I've started watching 0079. 4 episodes in and it's pretty cool. Char is a total badass and I like Amuro and the rest of the White Base crew. Obviously, compared to G00 the action is a bit lacking but I'm really enjoying everything else. Also the music oh god the music.

00 oddly enough is actually the last full series I have left to watch!

0079 was my first series I watched and it still ranks quite highly to me in quality and yes it's music is awesome! From Sleep is still one of my favourites!

i got a rx 78 2 3.0 waiting to be built , i really need a hg model or something to practice weathering tho.

piocs?

4Rg2Tv0.png

Might color it Astraea F2 colors.

gundam_astraeatypef.jpg

MechaX

Watched F91 with a friend for the first time over the weekend.

Now the actual movie was a bit of a mess (jump cuts and random defections everywhere), but man... I kinda wish F91 became a series instead of Victory.

CorvoSol

Watched F91 with a friend for the first time over the weekend.

Now the actual movie was a bit of a mess (jump cuts and random defections everywhere), but man... I kinda wish F91 became a series instead of Victory.

I definitely wish that. Seabook is one cool dude.

Still have to fill in a bunch of gaps due to pieces not really being flush, but my semi SD Exia Astraea's looking okay so far.

YfoOrWn.png

God this looks amazing. I hadn't thought of combing SD and non-SD kits. How easy is it?

Gundam-wise, I'm putting together 1:144 HG kits at lunchtime at work, to go with my massive collections of transformers (they are about the same size as a deluxe which is perfect). I've done Dynames and 0 Gundam, and last night I picked up Seravee and Virtue (because I couldn't decide which one I wanted).

Thanks a bunch y'all. :) Took a pic to show a sense of scale with this Exia kitbash.

c2930c1c4c6911e3aa05126f1c99ab93_8.jpg

God this looks amazing. I hadn't thought of combing SD and non-SD kits. How easy is it?
Kind of a bitch since the PCBs don't match up obviously, so there's a bit of work you have to put into them to make it all fit properly. Gonna head to the local hobby shop and grab some putty and other things to fill in the gaps and whatnot.

Beth Cyra

is anyone working on any gunpla at the moment? i've almost finished my god gundam.
Just finished both MG and HGAC Wing TV two weeks ago and started in on HG Blue Frame (original) and the MG Blue Frame Second Revise.

Gunna hopefully finish both by sunday. Then I'm going to start work on HGUC and MG Victory Gundam.

OK, so either I totally misunderstood the instructions, or the HG Virtue kit's cannon is not terribly well designed - feels flmsy and doesn't unfold... pleasingly.

No matter, same kit comes with two beam sabers and feels pretty solid.

G Gundam

One of the most emotional scenes in anime history... Don't click if you havent finished the series
http://i.imgur.com/iaZXanm.jpg

Master Asia: The School of the Undefeated of the East!
Domon: The winds of Kings!
Master Asia: Zenshin!
Domon: Keiretsu!
Master Asia: Tempa Kyouran!
Domon & Master Asia: LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!!

Manlly+Tears...+manly+tears+_4d40d74789d8fc42000dded07c19f126.gif

Manly tears...

CorvoSol

Still have to fill in a bunch of gaps due to pieces not really being flush, but my semi SD Exia Astraea's looking okay so far.

YfoOrWn.png

That's cool enough to almost make me want to try and build models instead of just buy figures.

G Gundam

One of the most emotional scenes in anime history... Don't click if you havent finished the series

Manly tears...

I cry at this episode every. single. time.

Enron

Banned
Thanks a bunch y'all. :) Took a pic to show a sense of scale with this Exia kitbash.

c2930c1c4c6911e3aa05126f1c99ab93_8.jpg

Kind of a bitch since the PCBs don't match up obviously, so there's a bit of work you have to put into them to make it all fit properly. Gonna head to the local hobby shop and grab some putty and other things to fill in the gaps and whatnot.

Hey donkey, learn to paint!

Chinner

Banned
G Gundam

Manly tears...

love that episode. the entire fight sequence and relatioship with master asia and domon is just really well done.

CorvoSol

love that episode. the entire fight sequence and relatioship with master asia and domon is just really well done.

I think it is especially good because Master and Domon's relationship is one of the most important parts of the entire series. It's right up there with Domon's relationship with his brother and with Rain.

Andrew J.

G Gundam

Manly tears...

My biggest criticism of G Gundam is that
this part wasn't saved until the end of the series. Ulube is an okay villain, but he's no Master Asia.

CorvoSol

this part wasn't saved until the end of the series. Ulube is an okay villain, but he's no Master Asia.

I could see that, but ultimately I feel what would've worked best was either making the entire
Ulube
arc into a 2nd season, or do as they had originally planned and make
Dr. Mikamura
the villain for that arc.

Because while I agree that Master is the best villain in the series who isn't an eldritch abomination of a Gundam, I just can't see him
fusing Rain to the Devil Gundam

I never found the action to be lacking in 0079, personally. I mean, yeah of course the animation isn't as good, but the fight choreography itself is pretty damn solid. Much more close combat in it than in a lot of the later shows. It's much more visceral.

I have only Gundam 00 as point of comparison and that had Exia so :p but I'm pretty early in 0079 (finished Ep 5) so my opinion on that might change. I still like it tho!

00 oddly enough is actually the last full series I have left to watch!

0079 was my first series I watched and it still ranks quite highly to me in quality and yes it's music is awesome! From Sleep is still one of my favourites!

I think it's worth watching simply for the fact that it made me check out the rest of the series :p

Haven't touched the post-00 stuff yet and it'll probably take a while. Want to work myself through the earlier UC stuff first before I touch Unicorn and neither Gundam Age nor Build Fighters really appeal to me from a thematic perspective. Hope the next series is either a continuation of the Anno Domini world or something completely new.

mjb3611

Hey all, saw this thread brought up and thought I'd share in the love of the Gundam universe. One of my friends got me into the Gundam model kits a few years ago and I love it though I don't like detailing them after the fact. I just finished building Gouf Custom MG from MS 08th Team. And then Destiny before that. Really want the MG Wing Zero to build next. I've also wanted the Virtue from 00 but I just can't justify paying like 55-60 bucks for 1/100 that isn't a MG. Anyway, love the world and glad to see a group of people on here that love it as well.

tuffy

I think it made a lot of sense to put it at that point.
Both Schwarz and Master Asia had both been working to train Domon with more than a little "tough love" through much of the series. So by taking them out of the picture before the dramatic climax, Domon has to face the final battle without any reliance on his mentors.

Chinner

Banned
I think it is especially good because Master and Domon's relationship is one of the most important parts of the entire series. It's right up there with Domon's relationship with his brother and with Rain.
I really liked all the dynamics i G Gundam. Domon just has a really good character arc, going from passion to anger to finally realization. It must have been wild back in the day to go from UC Gundam to this.

Maybe, but the end of the season is more about Domon and Rain, than it is really the Devil Gundam. The last episode's revelation is just as powerful as the other episode we're discussing.

CorvoSol

I really liked all the dynamics i G Gundam. Domon just has a really good character arc, going from passion to anger to finally realization. It must have been wild back in the day to go from UC Gundam to this.

Maybe, but the end of the season is more about Domon and Rain, than it is really the Devil Gundam. The last episode's revelation is just as powerful as the other episode we're discussing.

That's another good point. I don't know that a single episode could really contain both the Master Asia revelation and the Rain one. Both are the emotional high points of the series and the caps of Domon's progression, but I wonder if there wasn't a way to combine the two points rather than introduce
Ulube

On the other hand,
Ulube
himself kinda points out that he isn't as dramatic a villain as Master Asia when he sneeringly refers to Domon as the knight coming to save the princess and he himself as the evil sorceror.
Ulube
pales before Master, but the reveal that he and
Dr. Mikamura have been using Domon and Rain all along
is one of my favorite twists, and I don't think I'd want to trade that, either.

Ezalc

G Gundam

Manly tears...

Yeeeeeeeeeeees! What's this a G Gundam discussion I didn't start? And so much love? Where's True Prime to stop all of this?

frye

Yeah, and I think Ulube works fantastically well as a victory lap for Domon after he's finally Grown The Fuck Up. He's just a guy whose ass Domon can kick and leave us with a happy ending.

Tecl0n

G Gundam

Manly tears...

During the fight, when Asia holds out his hand trying to reach him, and domon just slaps it away. I thought that was a great way to show his progress.

I have to get back into gunpla. The only thing I wish was that there was a nice tutorial for painting for ppl like me who don't want to buy an airbrush.

Also have to get back into watching gundam, still haven't seen turnA gundam

During the fight, when Asia holds out his hand trying to reach him, and domon just slaps it away. I thought that was a great way to show his progress.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees! What's this a G Gundam discussion I didn't start? And so much love? Where's True Prime to stop all of this?

I cry at this episode every. single. time.

The song that plays at the heart wrenching scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ap6zPLqK0

G Fighter has a great soundtrack...

CorvoSol

That's because G Gundam's score was composed by the godliest of composers, Kohei Tanaka. He also was responsible for 08th MS Team, Gunbuster, Diebuster, Violinist of Hameln, Gao Gai Gar, Overman King Gainer, One Piece, and the Sakura Taisen games.

Man, I really love G's score, though. I'm a sucker for reusing the same leitmotif in different ways in a work. So the way the Shining Finger/God Finger theme is redone while Domon is confessing his love to Rain
which then turns into the mother of all God Fingers
is a really good example.

I freaking love G Gundam.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
is anyone working on any gunpla at the moment? i've almost finished my god gundam.

I've been trying to get my hands on one of those super sexy HGAW Gundam X's but I can only seem to find the newer X Divider models.

Hell they're all sold out everywhere or on backorder, I knew I should've bought one on release.

Build Fighters is sort of inspiring me to do some custom building but I don't know what do put on my X, the Satellite Cannon is one of the coolest things ever so I don't think I'll change the backpack, maybe I could repaint it? Give it the DX color scheme of black and white while keeping the GX body intact? I was thinking about giving it the Zeta head though.

Hell I could just give it a Zaku head right?

I'd recommend looking into swapping Zeta and Zaku heads before committing to buying them. Zetas have a transformable frame and so their heads might not have the same connection as a simple Zaku.

I'm craving some manly. I think I'll have to either start G Gundam or Gao Gai Gar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom