• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, whatever the fuck this thing is has the worst head.

xvm-mzc.jpg
Why are you posting bad Accel World fanart.

yami4ct

Gundam The Origin probably. Get ready to buy slightly different OYW kits all over again.

If it's a MG version of a bunch of The Origin's designs, I might actually be OK with that. I like a lot of the design changes from that series. It's probably the only other version of the RX-78 I'd buy. That being said, if/when The Origin RX-78 gets released, it sure as hell better have all the option parts. I want both the standard beam saber and beam cannon backpack, and all the chest armor options that get installed through the series. Also, if it defaults to the yellow v-fin, it better also have a white version just out of principle.

vareon

Hey, a new HG Turn A. Will buy.

I wonder if I can combine Turn A and Tallgeese in a good way. Tried photoshopping and it doesn't look good at all.

I picked up the SD Exia kit on the way home. I'm a tad disappointed about how much simpler it is than the pictures on the box imply, particularly the single molded blue piece for the blue+white shield, the solid grey sword and so on.

Still looks cool but not nearly as great as I expected.

On the other hand, eye stickers *way* easier to apply on the SD kit!

Haly

SD is really just disposable toys for kids to play rough with. Like something youd find in a happy meal.

yami4ct

SD is really just disposable toys for kids to play rough with. Like something youd find in a happy meal.

They're also great things to learn how to model on. If you make a mistake, you're out like $8. Used them many times when figuring out new modeling techniques.

yami4ct

Got my MG Nu ver Ka today and began my test-build of it. Working on it on and off all day and only managed to complete there shoulders, arms, chest, base with one funnel arm and one fin funnel. That kit is incredibly complex in a way that amazes me. Fantastically fun build. Aside from the hands, nothing really feels all that fragile either, which is nice. Hands are an incredible feat of engineering and, even though they're terrifying to cut out, are just super impressive when finished.

This kit really feels special. I haven't really felt that about a kit since I built the Sinanju. Feeling like this is the new standard for what a MG can be. Hope Sazabi measures up. So far, it's looking fantastic. Hope it's as good as it looks. Going to be a great pair on a shelf.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Some of the best mechanical design in Gundam to me is in F91, Unicorns is phenomenal though.

I feel good mecha design should recall the fact that these are giant machines first and foremost, and that any "impracticality" even for the sake of awesomeness should be kept to a minimum while still retaining a fair amount of personality. Suits that end up looking too much like "human armor" or get way too nuts kinda lose me. It's probably why is disliked most of 00's designs.

and the best enemy grunt suit ever
jesta is the best grunt overall

CorvoSol

00's designs aren't particularly the golden standard of mecha designs either, to be honest.

Except Tieren Taozi. Those are alright

True, but they're golden compared to the ones in AGE.

Best designs are from Wing, though. I don't care what people say, Endless Waltz' designs are over-the-top awesome. And I love them Virgo.

PhiLonius

True, but they're golden compared to the ones in AGE.

Best designs are from Wing, though. I don't care what people say, Endless Waltz' designs are over-the-top awesome. And I love them Virgo.

I've been rewatching Wing lately.

I feel like there really isn't a single bad design in there. Every suit, from Gundam to grunt, is really on point.

Wing's designs aren't bad, I guess. There is something iconic about them for sure. They're a bit too flamboyant for my tastes though. I like simpler stuff

CorvoSol

I've been rewatching Wing lately.

I feel like there really isn't a single bad design in there. Every suit, from Gundam to grunt, is really on point.

I would say that Wing- Zeta/ZZ- Turn A- SEED had the best suit designs.

The only good thing to come out of AGE was the all white AGE-2.

Gotta love OZ mobile suits.

I felt like Woolf's mechs were okay, but only 'cuz they were aping the Tallgeese.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Disregarding Endless Waltz, the gundams themselves in Wing were far uglier than the Oz units which were amazing. Then Katoki came and made everything awesome in EW. OO season one was amazing in all areas.

Mumei

I haven't watched a new Gundam since Gundam SEED Destiny was airing. I started watching Unicorn, but I ran into some unrelated technical issues and couldn't continue then.

What's the best new Gundam since then? Where should I start?

Divvy

The Epyon was great, though.

Yeah Epyon was the best one I think. Maybe Heavyarms.

I actually can't stand the EW versions at all. Particularly the Wing Zero

To each their own I guess, but for me Katoki's designs are soooo much better than the Okawara ones.

I haven't watched a new Gundam since Gundam SEED Destiny was airing. I started watching Unicorn, but I ran into some unrelated technical issues and couldn't continue then.

What's the best new Gundam since then? Where should I start?

Watch Season 1 of OO and start watching Gundam Build Fighters with the rest of us. Nothing else worth watching since SEED aside from Unicorn.

I thought the Federation suits in AGE were just fine. The Vegan suits were absolutely disgusting, though.

Fucking Vegans

Divvy

Wing Zero Custom is one of my all time favorites, although I confess how it actually moves is a mystery.

That's what's great about the EW designs

Wing was all like "I want to be taken seriously!"

And Katoki was like "lol no"

Haly

I don't think any suit can top the wings unfolding forever sequence for WZC.

Practicality be damned.

CorvoSol

It also helps it has one of the most amazing entrances.

True. The Freedom had a pretty sweet one, too, but those wings, man.

I don't think any suit can top the wings unfolding forever sequence for WZC.

Practicality be damned.

You already put a gun on a mech that has a payload capable of destroying an entire space colony with one shot. Honestly I'm not convinced that the Libra was more of a threat than the Wing Zero. Why start making sense at that stage of the game?

Also "practicality be damned" is Endless Waltz in a nutshell. I mean, half the movie only happens because there are no Gundams to stop it, then at the end of the movie we
blow the Gundams up anyway?

Divvy

All the entrances are amazing in Endless Waltz. Wing Zero has the best one obviously, but twirling Heavyarms is pretty great too.

CorvoSol

That's what's great about the EW designs

Wing was all like "I want to be taken seriously!"

And Katoki was like "lol no"

I only wish that Endless Wing had had a better final boss than a wall and also Wu Fei.

All the entrances are amazing in Endless Waltz. Wing Zero has the best one obviously, but twirling Heavyarms is pretty great too.

Which is why Heavyarms Kai is so damn awesome. I mean Trowa did that move all the time, but his GUNDAM, loaded with explosives, did it.

Divvy

Which is why Heavyarms Kai is so damn awesome. I mean Trowa did that move all the time, but his GUNDAM, loaded with explosives, did it.

Yeah, EW was the only time I liked Trowa. When did he find the time to make a giant half mask for his gundam.

Ken

I want to make gunpla again. What's the minimum tools I need to make them look nicer than a straight out of box kit? And what's a fun recent MG?

Last thing I made was a MG Strike Noire. I don't have any more of my markers or line pens anymore. D:

Haly

Without going into painting:

Side cutters
Hobby knife
Files and/or sand paper
Small philips head screwdriver (only forMG and above i think)
Lining pens (black, gray and brown)
Eraser
Markers for details
Cutting mat
Masking tape

Ken

Without going into painting:

Side cutters
Hobby knife
Files and/or sand paper
Small philips head screwdriver (only forMG and above i think)
Lining pens (black, gray and brown)
Eraser
Markers for details
Cutting mat
Masking tape

Is there a site that has all those things in a neat little package? Like 1999.co or AmiAmi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom