• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as good Arche's Issen.

Haly I will fight you

And after reviewing how character customization works in Tearaway, I'm impressed that Donkey did all that. But I guess that's why we love him.

That Sazabi Ver. Ka sure is looking good. Especially when those arms open up.

Enron

Banned
omg need this

ban985156_0.jpg

Wubby

29 dollars for a pair of side snips? da fuq

Tamiya's pointed side cutter is the best sprue cutter I have. MSRP in Japan is even $24 or so but they are easily found for around $20. They will give you a nice flush cut so little to no cleanup is required. The thin pointed head makes it easy to cut small parts off the sprue. Good quality costs, and these are easily one of my favorite and most used tools.

In America another popular option is the Xuron 2175ET. A bit cheaper but looks nice.

Ezalc

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Wing's designs are pretty bad. Deathscythe and that one wing gundam that looks like it has actual angel wings are some of the worst designs I've ever seen. Screams trying too hard to me.

Chinner

Banned
so finished my second gunpla - god gundam. implemented a lot of techniques and experience i learned while making my first gunpla, which looks actually terrible. now i've started to prime, thin and paint in layers. also did some seam line removal and panel line washing.

one of the biggest things to help actually was making a proper painting setup, with alligator clips and sticks so that i could paint the pieces without handling them. i'm really happy with how the colours turned out. the details are mostly fine, but if you look or photograph closely it does let it down a little.

i did actually attempt pre-shading too, but because i'm hand painting i'm painting 4-5 layers, so i gave up. going to experiment with a spoon, but i think i may put a few coats down, then do a pre shading down before the final 1-2 coats.

PhiLonius

so finished my second gunpla - god gundam. implemented a lot of techniques and experience i learned while making my first gunpla, which looks actually terrible. now i've started to prime, thin and paint in layers. also did some seam line removal and panel line washing.

one of the biggest things to help actually was making a proper painting setup, with alligator clips and sticks so that i could paint the pieces without handling them. i'm really happy with how the colours turned out. the details are mostly fine, but if you look or photograph closely it does let it down a little.

i did actually attempt pre-shading too, but because i'm hand painting i'm painting 4-5 layers, so i gave up. going to experiment with a spoon, but i think i may put a few coats down, then do a pre shading down before the final 1-2 coats.

Good work. Looks nice for a second attempt.

Have you thought about airbrushing rather than painting by hand?

nice. chinner

you guys have any guides to painting and adding extra touches to gunpla?

http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial.html
http://www.perfectdesignsense.com/martinwandering/guides/guides.html
http://www.ghostofzeon.com/diy/index.html
http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/how-to-build-master-grade-gundams/
http://www.gundamworld.it/sognidigundam/tips_tricks_uk.html

Gundam BF 8

Not sure I like Nils very much, too much of that boy genius crap. Sengoku Gundam looks OP as well. It was nice seeing Tallgeese before it was shredded.

Enron

Banned
Hm, I have no idea where to get spray cans for model kits locally and I doubt they can be shipped to me. Oh well.

Any hobby store will have spray cans. Even a Michaels will have basic Testors' spray cans in stock. If you want Testors' ModelMaster paints, though, you'll need to locate a proper hobby store.

Ken

Any hobby store will have spray cans. Even a Michaels will have basic Testors' spray cans in stock. If you want Testors' ModelMaster paints, though, you'll need to locate a proper hobby store.

I don't think we have any hobby stores here lol. Just office supplies for schools and traditional arts/crafts I think.

I'm working my way through Gundam Seed. I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as 00, but hey, it's still better than the trash we have on TV here in the UK. I'm about 20 episodes in.

I'm a bit confused by some things though.

ZAFT are the good guys, right?
With one notable exception, ZAFT forces have so far done the utmost to avoid civilian casualties. The Earth forces on the other hand deliberately nuked a colony. And seem to hate people because of their genes. The Desert Tiger, Athrun, and even Le Creuset are all much more interesting and sympathetic characters than the cardboard Earth generals who show up. Maybe the translation is off? The only genuinely "good" Earth forces people so far are La Flaga and Ramius.

What the hell is the point of Flay?
At one of the turning points of the story, Flay decides to stay on board the Archangel and join the Earth forces and everyone follows her. Except that while Kira pilots the Strike, and the others man the Archangel during combat, Flay's role on board ship seems to be as Kira's "personal morale officer". During battle she lies in her bed and whimpers. No-one on board questions this.

I really want Le Creuset's mask. I'd wear contacts just to be able to wear it about.

I'm still not too hot on the Gundam designs in this. I really like some of the ZAFT stuff though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some countries prohibit the importation of spray cans for whatever reason.

Strange but true.

Gotta go with paints.

I think my main problem with spray paint and airbrushing is that I need a good workspace that is well ventilated which I don't think I can get with my apartment. I probably could, but it seems like a major pain

yami4ct

Well, HLJ's Black Friday 7% further off was just enough to push me over the edge into buying Sazabi Ver. Ka. Already have a package with Transformers MP Smokescreen and Streak anyway, so adding in Sazabi makes some sense I guess. My wallet's going to hate me so much, but I really want that damn thing now.

yami4ct

Have fun waiting for that bastard to come back in stock - nearly everything cool from Unicorn is on backorder :x

You're thinking Sinanju, who I already built and yes is in fact awesome. The thing I just bought was the preorder for Sazabi ver. Ka. Char's suit from CCA. Easy mistake to make since Sinanju is derived from Sazabi, looks similar and has a similar name.

Enron

Banned
Hah, i read "sinanju" in your post.

I actually have the original MG sazabi, and its a piece of shit. A giant HGUC kit. Sazabi badly needed a new MG.

yami4ct

Hah, i read "sinanju" in your post.

I actually have the original MG sazabi, and its a piece of shit. A giant HGUC kit. Sazabi badly needed a new MG.

I had to go back to my post and make sure I didn't write "Sinanju". I don't know how many times I almost accidentally did that. Those names aren't that similar, but just similar enough for me to keep making the mistake.

Yeah, Sazabi desperately needed a new MG. Old one has a nice size to it, but that's about it. New one looks like one of the prettiest kits I've ever seen, though. Can't wait to have him to pair up with Nu.

I watched the 00 movie last night.

God that was bad.

I think I shall choose to believe that the movie doesn't exist.

I built my first non Gundam 00 kit this week - it's an HG Gouf Ignited and I totally love it. More deadly robots should be pleasant pastel shades.

Bombless

God that was bad.

I built my first non Gundam 00 kit this week - it's an HG Gouf Ignited and I totally love it. More deadly robots should be pleasant pastel shades.

I enjoyed the fact half the movie is a giant battle, but yeah, it really was godawful as a whole.

Enron

Banned

God that was bad.

There is but one Gouf. And Seed Gouf is not it.

All hail Gouf

CorvoSol

So I bought myself a High Grade Tallgeese III Special from HLJ for their sale. 800ish Yen is how many dollars American, more or less?

This is my first Gunpla since I was a teenager. It'll be interesting to see how I do with it.

This is what I bought:

Basically it makes all the colored parts metallic and replaces the white parts with clear ones, I think. It should look pretty nifty when it is all done.

Bombless

So I bought myself a High Grade Tallgeese III Special from HLJ for their sale. 800ish Yen is how many dollars American, more or less?

This is my first Gunpla since I was a teenager. It'll be interesting to see how I do with it.

So basically you'll pay the shipping more than the item itself?

are real grade kits good? any recommendations? looking for something to get a relative for christmas.

I've only built the Zeta which is a pain in the ass to build but the amount of detail in RGs is amazing. Just get them a kit of whatever MS they like. As far as I know there's no bad RG out there.

Dragoshi1

Ordered the HG LaGowe off Amazon. Animal looking mobile suits are scarce, and Zoids are nonexistent these days. So I need me some animal based kits.

I own the Gundam Age green space dragon MS, that's about it for my animals.

Ordered the HG LaGowe off Amazon. Animal looking mobile suits are scarce, and Zoids are nonexistent these days. So I need me some animal based kits.

I own the Gundam Age green space dragon MS, that's about it for my animals.

If they ever release a Doggorla or Sandhoge you could have another two.

yami4ct

are real grade kits good? any recommendations? looking for something to get a relative for christmas.

If they have some experience building, I'd say go for it. They're tricky because of the amount of small, detail oriented parts. It can be easy to break/lose something if you're not experienced in building models. The only RG I wouldn't really recommend buying is the Destiny, mainly because they did very little with the design to really utilize the benefits of being a RG. It looks like a HG in a lot of ways. The RX-78 has some durability issues, but it's still a good kit.

So, yeah, for an experienced builder, RGs are an excellent buy. They look amazing right out of the box and have a crazy amount of possibility and detail. If they aren't experienced, I'd point you more towards the HGUC line as being a more friendly build.

Ken

I've only built the Zeta which is a pain in the ass to build but the amount of detail in RGs is amazing. Just get them a kit of whatever MS they like. As far as I know there's no bad RG out there.

If they have some experience building, I'd say go for it. They're tricky because of the amount of small, detail oriented parts. It can be easy to break/lose something if you're not experienced in building models. The only RG I wouldn't really recommend buying is the Destiny, mainly because they did very little with the design to really utilize the benefits of being a RG. It looks like a HG in a lot of ways. The RX-78 has some durability issues, but it's still a good kit.

So, yeah, for an experienced builder, RGs are an excellent buy. They look amazing right out of the box and have a crazy amount of possibility and detail. If they aren't experienced, I'd point you more towards the HGUC line as being a more friendly build.

I think I'll pick an RG up for him since it seems more time consuming, though I was concerned about them packing an advertised PG parts count in a 1/144 model.

I'm not sure which units he likes or what series he watches. I know I saw a bunch of HG Gundam Age kits in his house and IIRC a MG 00 Raiser or AGE-2 Normal as well. I'm not sure what his stance on UC units are, which seem to comprise the majority of current RG lineup except for the SEED stuff. If GBF MGs were out sooner that'd make my choices easier!

Off the curent topic and onto paints, which online stores carry those Tamiya paints or even spraycans? I'd like to try emailing them and seeing if it's okay to ship to me. I searched around locally and we have 0 hobby stores and the only arts and crafts store closed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom