• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Seed Destiny 6-14
Pwq7Bl1.png
Look at this stupid car.

Let me tell you all something that I found out last night, watching this drunk doesn't make it any better. It does, however, make you care less about the nonsense that's happening.

I am always confused about what the characters' motivations are in this series. Can someone please explain why
these factions are even fighting? Gahhhhhh. What is this purple haired lil' bitch trying to accomplish? Speaking of which, it was nice to see him freak out. I couldn't help but smile as his plans were ruined.

What the hell is the point of Flay?

Team KiraxFlay forever.

I was kind of annoyed they decided to kill her off. Her reactions aren't unreasonable. Flay's side of the story is rather emotional and indecisive, I don't get why people hate her when she is not at fault. The tragic incident of her father being killed right infront of her was the cause of what she is. Like in real life, some people get emotionally stressed and do unimaginable things.

She's one of the better developed characters later on in SEED; one of the few I could stand away-#FuckCagalli&Lacus.

Anyway still waiting on this bad boy to show up:

TOY-GDM-2503_zpsca0e0766.jpg

First master grade release for the after war era. Can't wait.

Aizo

Banned
Team KiraxFlay forever.

I was kind of annoyed they decided to kill her off. Her reactions aren't unreasonable. Flay's side of the story is rather emotional and indecisive, I don't get why people hate her when she is not at fault. The tragic incident of her father being killed right infront of her was the cause of what she is. Like in real life, some people get emotionally stressed and do unimaginable things.

She's one of the better developed characters later on in SEED; one of the few I could stand away-#FuckCagalli&Lacus.

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

I think I threw up a little in my mouth just now. Ew.

Ken

Alrighty, just put an order in for RG Freedom and Mk2, and a HGBF Build Strike. Going to give one of the RGs and the Build Strike away as gifts and try to make whichever RG isn't taken for myself. :D

Team KiraxFlay forever.

I wouldn't dispute that - I just don't get what her role on board ship is.

Also, oh god Beargguy III. This is going to be either the best or the worst Christmas ever!

The big head is better I think - I just watched Gunpla Builders (because I could) and the older GPB-04B Beargguy looks much better with the fur hoodie he has in the 2nd ep as it bulks his head up than he does without it.

Dragoshi1

Ordered a Real Grade Gundam MKII Titans for my brother.

It's his first "something else", as he usually builds the HGs, he has Hygogg, Blue Destiny 02, and a Guncannon.

I also ordered him Gundam Breaker for PS3, as he loved the crap out of the Beta/Demo.

I just finished watching SEED and I'm confident NOTHING will top it! I can't see 00, G, or Unicorn beating this show! It was fucking mindblowingly AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

SEED is simply fucking boss. Perfect story telling, perfect action sequences, ridiculously gorgeous color palette and art designs, hot babes, etc...

Not saying 0079, Zeta, etc are garbage...far from it....but for me SEED is just on a whole 'nother level. Those characters, those intense battles, that animation quality, those beautiful colors popping at me in glorious 720p, those Gundam designs....SEED is just, *gasp*... ORGASMIC!!!!

Am I really in for a pleasant surprise when I get around to 00 and Unicorn?(Don't worry I'm not touching Destiny with a ten foot pole)

Heh.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks, Katarn. I almost forgot why I avoid talking to most people about anime. That thread is exactly why.

frye

wH2WJhm.gif

I didn't even like Sazabi's design before pictures of that MG started popping up.

Ha, maybe that's it. The Sazabi and 0080's Kampfer are probably my two favourite Zeon suits. Katoki's redesigns hasn't been my thing on the whole (though the Sinanju is dope)

That Sazabi is.... really bad ass!

Ftfy~

But on the real I can understand why you wouldn't like some Katoki designs/redesigns. I'm not a fan of some of the Katoki Wing Gundam redesigns, like Shenlong and Sandrock, myself. Although Proto-Zero pretty much shits all over the original.

The level of detail on that Sazabi though is stunning.

CorvoSol

I'm on board. Make Cagalli die somewhere in the villian sue antics and we have a deal.

No Zaku Amazing?

Cagalli doesn't suck until Destiny, when for some reason, rather than become a competent politician, she stands around and listens to Shinn blame her own father's death on her father's incompetence, rather than telling his punk ass that there were things going on in the world.

Cagalli doesn't suck until Destiny, when for some reason, rather than become a competent politician, she stands around and listens to Shinn blame her own father's death on her father's incompetence, rather than telling his punk ass that there were things going on in the world.

And thats what I really hate about Cagalli. Her character is more of an action girl in SEED. In Destiny? She's a completely ineffectual leader that cries at the drop of a hat. All she does is whine and cry and let Shin stop all over her ass like a day old whore. The logic in her decisions, such as running out into the middle of battles to once again cry, like most of Destiny, makes no sense. So not only is her character development for shit, she suffers from SEED Destiny logic break down to boot.

I can't really tolerate her for most of Destiny. It's clear the in fighting between the production staff and her voice actor destroyed the character to the point where she's nearly useless through half of the series. When she does manage to get her "balls" back she basically has no lines at all and disappears from the series altogether. If that's the route they wanna go down I rather she just get assassinated by logos, or just die from random fire in a battle or something. Her character is a complete mess that I'd rather not suffer through.

CorvoSol

And thats what I really hate about Cagalli. Her character is more of an action girl in SEED. In Destiny? She's a completely ineffectual leader that cries at the drop of a hat. All she does is whine and cry and let Shin stop all over her ass like a day old whore. The logic in her decisions, such as running out into the middle of battles to once again cry, like most of Destiny, makes no sense. So not only is her character development for shit, she suffers from SEED Destiny logic break down to boot.

I can't really tolerate her for most of Destiny. It's clear the in fighting between the production staff and her voice actor destroyed the character to the point where she's nearly useless through half of the series. When she does manage to get her "balls" back she basically has no lines at all and disappears from the series altogether. If that's the route they wanna go down I rather she just get assassinated by logos, or just die from random fire in a battle or something. Her character is a complete mess that I'd rather not suffer through.

The best part? Athrun calls Kira out on all his bullshit and Kira just goes "LOL DUDE, CAGALLI'S CRYING." and that's that. Kira bends the definitions of right and wrong and wins the argument.

The best part? Athrun calls Kira out on all his bullshit and Kira just goes "LOL DUDE, CAGALLI'S CRYING." and that's that. Kira bends the definitions of right and wrong and wins the argument.

I believe at some point Kira even ADMITTED to being wrong which makes it all the more delicious.

It's a perfect combination of the "What the hell, Hero?" and "Idiot Ball" troupe. Somebodies gotta hold that idiot ball right? How else can Jesus be the Super Ace Pilot with Improbable piloting skills. Gotta spice things up with Athrun's useless, transforming barrel rolls while he hits NOTHING.

Even so, the worst part of Destiny will always be the way reality warps to allow Shin to "kill" Kira.

I blame that on bad story boarding and just fucking up Shin's character in general. He's failed Kamile Bidan with all of Kamiles weaknesses ramped all the way up, and never quite learning the lessons that Kamile learned through Brightslap©.

They had about 20 episodes give or take (not counting Kira's brief cameos or the two episodes that focused on them in Orb before they vanished again for awhile) to make Shinn likable before Kira started making regular appearances again. They failed at that. All he did for the first 10 episodes on his downtime was bitch at the very well liked characters from the previous show and tell them how he still hates them and their country despite them being the saviors of humanity in Seed. Yeah that's really gonna endear him to the audience there. And he only really got worse, with his not getting along with Athrun, making several poor decisions in the Stella debacle and ignoring basically all of it because Durandal let him off. Etc.

In Shinn's defense I will say he's MUCH better in Super Robot Wars Z. I actually really like Shinn in that game. Shinn's VA said that SRWZ Saga Shinn was the Shinn in his heart. Shinn also tends to play a far larger role in the SRW games than Kira and Athrun put together, even Lunamaria gets a ton of screentime in the SRW games that feature Destiny.
He was a brat at the start but he later changed as the story went on. This is even larger in SRW L where he went through many changes such as not hating Kira after Berlin, and becoming an advocate to let the Archangel escape. Battle of ORB has Shinn team up with the Archangel to save ORB from Logos, traitors, and Original Enemies. He saves Kira and Athrun from Original Enemies at Battle of ORB, and both Lunamaria and him don't follow Rey but stay with the "Heroes" instead to stop Durandal's madness. He also teams up with Kira to stop Rey from walking to his death at the GSD final battle.

Aizo

Banned
Do you guys play translated versions of SRW or do you know Japanese? I have one on PSP, but the walls of text make me sleepy. I don't know SF Japanese vocabulary.

Aizo

Banned
I just use wiki for skill translations and make up the story as I go lol.

Hmm. I just hear that the stories are quite good in some of them. Well... maybe I'll start reading those walls of text.

Is the story in 第2次スーパーロボット大戦Z 破界篇 good? That's the one I own.

Do you guys play translated versions of SRW or do you know Japanese? I have one on PSP, but the walls of text make me sleepy. I don't know SF Japanese vocabulary.

If search on gamefaqs for the games they have translations up on the boards as well as storyguide faqs that you can read the stories through. My last girlfriend knew Japanese fluently and I knew a little from high school. She basically translated most of it for me lol

Edit: Here's a translation of Super Robot Wars Z2 "Saisei-Hen" that gets updated from time to time.

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~mneideng/srwz2s.txt

Thanks god for SRW, I have joy they treat Shinn like that ;__;

If you like Shin definitely play the Super Robot Wars games. He went from being my most hated character to one of my top 3 for the series. It just makes you even more pissed off at all the wasted potential he and other characters had.

Ken

Hmm. I just hear that the stories are quite good in some of them. Well... maybe I'll start reading those walls of text.

Is the story in 第2次スーパーロボット大戦Z 破界篇 good? That's the one I own.

I wouldn't doubt that but I buy SRW games to look at the sprites lol. Only SRW games I've played are Z2, Z2-2, OG 2nd, and some old one for Wonderswan.

Bombless

Finally had the time to see Gundam Build Fighters 1.

So not only is Rinko hot as hell, she's voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi?!? I gotta see more of this.

Oh, and the Gundam action was fine too.

fertygo

If search on gamefaqs for the games they have translations up on the boards as well as storyguide faqs that you can read the stories through. My last girlfriend knew Japanese fluently and I knew a little from high school. She basically translated most of it for me lol

Edit: Here's a translation of Super Robot Wars Z2 "Saisei-Hen" that gets updated from time to time.

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~mneideng/srwz2s.txt

If you like Shin definitely play the Super Robot Wars games. He went from being my most hated character to one of my top 3 for the series. It just makes you even more pissed off at all the wasted potential he and other characters had.

You have awesome girlfriend sir.

I always liked Shinn for giving Cagalli hell, his backstory.. and the fact he riding best gundam on CE Series.

But yeah the anime team doing shit execution for him and he hated by everyone.

And thankfully SRW game fix many thing to that.. I already completed the Z series though, its awesome.

yami4ct

God dang, Sazabi keeps looking better every time I see it. Going to be an expense, but so worth it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere so take it as a rumor for now, but I saw it on a different forum. Someone mentioned that in a recent replacement parts email they got from bandai that they mentioned they're setting up a website to handle parts orders. Man, I hope that's true. If that happens, we could get something that allows us overseas folks to order parts directly, which would be fantastic. Even if it turns out to be Asia-only, it might at least mean we could use a mail-forward service to middle-man the pieces. Sure hope this works out.

Beth Cyra

Gundam Build Fighters.

Jesus fucking christ, this is easily the worst episode so far.

I know I'm in the minority, and that my hatred of Class Rep and Sei isn't common, but the way this entire episode was handled is absolutely bullshit.

The way Allenby and Nobell was taken out was absolutely bullshit and disrespectful. I have been perfectly fine with Wing being taken out by a Gyan, a Jegan knocking off Devil Gundam, and even the Dejay owning Freedom, however each and everyone of these came with some show of skill or them pointing out just how shitty the pilot was (Sei in Wing).

The training time with Reiji at no point showed the character improving and then to have to sit and watch everyone try to act like the Gunpla and it's pilot was anything remotely special made me sick to my god damn stomach.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing bad to say about the women pilots. Very much looking forward to Queb pilot and I really enjoyed the story with the Tetra pilot and how she was trying to achieve her dreams.

I just can't stand this awful, generic and just overall stupid plot between Sei/Class Rep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom