• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gundam Build Fighters.

Jesus fucking christ, this is easily the worst episode so far.

I know I'm in the minority, and that my hatred of Class Rep and Sei isn't common, but the way this entire episode was handled is absolutely bullshit.

The way Allenby and Nobell was taken out was absolutely bullshit and disrespectful. I have been perfectly fine with Wing being taken out by a Gyan, a Jegan knocking off Devil Gundam, and even the Dejay owning Freedom, however each and everyone of these came with some show of skill or them pointing out just how shitty the pilot was (Sei in Wing).

The training time with Reiji at no point showed the character improving and then to have to sit and watch everyone try to act like the Gunpla and it's pilot was anything remotely special made me sick to my god damn stomach.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing bad to say about the women pilots. Very much looking forward to Queb pilot and I really enjoyed the story with the Tetra pilot and how she was trying to achieve her dreams.

I just can't stand this awful, generic and just overall stupid plot between Sei/Class Rep

1228270165132.jpg

It was an amazing episode. Beargguy-san is a riot.

I've been meaning to ask for a while now - what the hell is Iori calling China? いんちょう? Google says it's director. Director of the art club?

Beth Cyra

Quit being crazy, TruePrime. Everyone cameo is fodder in this. Don't hate on China either!
While its true, everyone is Cameo Fodder I just HATE this character.

The only Gundam females I've hated more are the AGE women, and that was because they only existed to pop out the next lead while getting as little screen time/development as possible.

Class Rep is like the combination of everything I hated in Mainstream Hishschool Anime. Her combo with Sei just pushes me over the edge.

She didn't get into Gunpla cause she loves it, she got into it over Sei and they have zero personality or chrmistry in my eyes. This entire plot line feels like its drilling out any love I have for the show.

Sei/Reiji and how they interact with Tatsuya, the mystery of the Queb pilot, Feliene trying to pick up women with Gunpla, will Kiraran come back? I love and want to see all of this but Class Rep just tanks it all for me.

Beth Cyra

The Gunpla idol is like 1000x worse than Kousaka is. TruePrime belongs in a mental facility.
The Gunpla model at least had a dream beyond getting the boy to notice her. Not only that but even with how shr turned out, she was totally able to sell how hard she worked on her Gunpla, and how she may even had loved it if things were different when she was talking about the GM.

I think I'm fighting a losing battle here though. Not that yall are wrong, just I don't see eye to eye with Gundam fans and women aside from Haman.

I guess Ms Idol will be the GBF Flay to me.

CorvoSol

The Gunpla model at least had a dream beyond getting the boy to notice her. Not only that but even with how shr turned out, she was totally able to sell how hard she worked on her Gunpla, and how she may evrn had loved it if things were different when she was talking about the GM.

Her dream was to get every boy to notice her. It was kinda a crappy dream.

Beth Cyra

Her dream was to get every boy to notice her. It was kinda a crappy dream.
It wasn't just boys. It was everyone, to be an Idol. I'm not so quick to call that a shitty dream. No more then every child who wants to be a movie star or a famous musician.

To me that is a lot better then Sei

Beth Cyra

You really are crazy...
So be it I suppose.

I like shades of gray. Its a common thing with the women I like in Gundam.

Dorothy, Flay, and Idol. All of them have dark sides, all of them are willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want. I find this kind of character infinitely more interesting and provoking to watch and learn about comparef to their squeaky clean counterparts.

Beth Cyra

TruePrime thinks being an attentionwhore is a loftier goal than being the best!

PopGAF is that way -->
Last I checked neither Flay or Dorothy cared if anyone knew thier names.

One wanted the glory of war to continue and the other was a hurt and scared teenager who wanted revenge for the pain that was inflicted on her when her Father died, hell that could apply to the first as well. Regardless it was attention seeking that drove them.

Also I am a huge Pop fan as well.

It wasn't just boys. It was everyone, to be an Idol. I'm not so quick to call that a shitty dream. No more then every child who wants to be a movie star or a famous musician.

Umm so China likes Sei and is getting interested in Gundam makes her a bad character....... WTF?

CorvoSol

It's pretty shitty. Being a famous musician isn't because that means you want to have a talent and develop that. Same with being a movie star. Being an idol just means she wants people to stare at her and love her.

Sei's goal is to be great at a game his dad was great at. It's about connecting with his apparently deceased father and following in his footsteps. It's a classic dream which resonates with kids across the board.

Idol girl's dream is to be Paris Hilton. There's a world of a difference there.

Only good Gundam girl I've seen so far was Rain.

Rain is God tier women, but Lt. Emma, Dianna Soriel, Roux, Haman Khan and the White Base women are all worthy as well. It just whomps that there hasn't been much in the way of good female characters since G Gundam. Wing if you count Noin and Une. SEED if you're generous and throw Murrue in. But that's it. No further.

Beth Cyra

It's pretty shitty. Being a famous musician isn't because that means you want to have a talent and develop that. Same with being a movie star. Being an idol just means she wants people to stare at her and love her.

Sei's goal is to be great at a game his dad was great at. It's about connecting with his apparently deceased father and following in his footsteps. It's a classic dream which resonates with kids across the board.

Idol girl's dream is to be Paris Hilton. There's a world of a difference there.

Rain is God tier women, but Lt. Emma, Dianna Soriel, Roux, Haman Khan and the White Base women are all worthy as well. It just whomps that there hasn't been much in the way of good female characters since G Gundam. Wing if you count Noin and Une. SEED if you're generous and throw Murrue in. But that's it. No further.
Paris Hilton was born into it, she didn't work for shit.

Idol did, she slaved over Gunpla, memorized all the shows and tought herself how to create an amazing Gunpla. Completely different. Its not easy for someone to make them something when they come from nothing.

Regardless of her quality of character, she was a fighter and did far more to earn her status then Ms I'm God there for Right and Saint Queen of the World.

Aizo

Banned
C'mon, guys. This is a silly argument...
I like shades of gray. Its a common thing with the women I like in Gundam.

Dorothy, Flay, and Idol. All of them have dark sides, all of them are willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want. I find this kind of character infinitely more interesting and provoking to watch and learn about compare to their squeaky clean counterparts.
0225_tm65.gif

The only thing that Flay provokes in me is rage.

CorvoSol

Paris Hilton was born into it, she didn't work for shit.

Idol did, she slaved over Gunpla, memorized all the shows and tought herself how to create an amazing Gunpla. Completely different. Its not easy for someone to make them something when they come from nothing.

Regardless of her quality of character, she was a fighter and did far more to earn her status then Ms I'm God there for Right and Saint Queen of the World.

Working to become like Paris Hilton is arguably worse. Paris was only born like that. This girl aspired to be a vapid, bitchy attention-requiring monster. Unfortunately, it isn't the kind of worse that would add depth to her character. Especially since snobby rich girl introduced in this episode was already loads better than her.

It makes her boring and uninteresting.

My hatred comes from the fact that she is so completely bland yet the show is in love with her.

Its Relena all over again for me.

I kinda feel the same. China's character up to this point has been kind of boring. All she needs to do now is start screaming about total pacifism, and how we should spare the models from destruction because they're just so kawaii etc. They have one more season of this so maybe something will happen.

No Natarle Badgiruel? Karen Joshua from the 08th MS team was alright too, and Christina Mackenzie from 0080.

Edit:

Hahaha.

I love Flay.

Best character not named Athrun from the SEED series.

Brofist.jpg

Desi

I kinda feel the same. China's character up to this point has been kind of boring.
Agreed. Average episode and I am happy we are going to the tournament so no more filler.
Won't deny that the cotton stuffing was cute.

In the end all this does is make me want to watch the old gundam shows on youtube.

yami4ct

Inspired by all the love Gundam X is getting in GBF, I decided to finally give that show a go. I'm ashamed to admit that, despite X and Double X being some of my favorite designs ever, I have never seen the show. I think the stigma of being the only Gundam ever cancelled during airing really kept me away. Watched the first two episodes and I really enjoyed it.

Garrod seems like a decent main. It's nice that we get a goofier, lighter protagonist to counter the constant negativity of the world. The world, though, is easily the best part of the show. I love the alternate take on UC it gives. There's some stunning imagery in these first two episodes. The large battle at the beginning is pretty damn astonishing. The scale is stunning. The shot where all the X units deploy their satellite cannons is pretty brilliant. Also, the shot of the earth with giant chunks just missing from continents really hammers home the scale of the destruction. The first two episodes of this show do a better job of showing the effects of a massive war better than most UC shows do, and certainly better than anything AU has to offer. World sort of feels like a serious version of G Gundam, which I like. Overall, great show so far, can't wait to see more.

Also, the Satellite Cannon is still probably the best gundam weapon ever.

What are the current best options for watching Gundam? Burnt out on Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 but now I'm interested in the shows.
Mainly interested in Zeta ( <3 Haman <3 ).

All she needs to do now is start screaming about total pacifism, and how we should spare the models from destruction because they're just so kawaii etc. They have one more season of this so maybe something will happen.

I would like her more if she did that. I mean, those models are kawaii as fuck. And seeing broken Gunpla breaks me.

CorvoSol

What are the current best options for watching Gundam? Burnt out on Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 but now I'm interested in the shows.

You want ZZ for Haman. Zeta is all Poptarts Sriracha's show. But since ZZ is a sequel to Zeta, watch 'em both. Wing is also great, as is Turn A and G.

Beth Cyra

Youtube and Gundam.info are the two easiest ways to get your Gundam Fix. They have several complete series that can be watched right now.

I can't remember if Zeta is on there, and given your Haman love you would want ZZ and that isn't on either.

Beth Cyra

ZZ is on the to-do list.

Gundam.info didn't have anything but it looks like youtube has a crapton of material so I should be set for awhile.

Gundam.info has SEED HD, Destiny HD, Unicorn 1-6 (well shortly, hasn't been uploaded yet), Gunpla Beginning G, OO Season 1 and 2, SD Warrior Legends, as well as GBF. Oh it has AGE as well.....

Though the website is fucking awful to navigate.

GBF has me wanting a Nobel Gundam, and I wasn't ven a fan of Allenby.

Make sure you get Nobell Normal Mode, at least if you get the HG. The Berserk Mode has really bad weight issues with the head and the weapons suck.

Beth Cyra

I'm watching the original Gundam Series now. And goddamn, does it have the best music of all Gundam series or what? I never knew that this track had such an awesome ending.

It's sound track is very unique, and certainly a thing of it's time.

That said, I can't really get into the music from 0079. I much prefer Wing's and SEED's OSTs. Wing has a pretty unique soundtrack set and SEED's is pretty normal anime type sound, however it's extremely high quality totally makes it not a bad thing.

CorvoSol

Gundam.info has SEED HD, Destiny HD, Unicorn 1-6 (well shortly, hasn't been uploaded yet), Gunpla Beginning G, OO Season 1 and 2, SD Warrior Legends, as well as GBF. Oh it has AGE as well.....

Though the website is fucking awful to navigate.

Make sure you get Nobell Normal Mode, at least if you get the HG. The Berserk Mode has really bad weight issues with the head and the weapons suck.

But berserk mode looks so cool!

Beth Cyra

I agree it does.

Hell I even bought Ber first. Thing is the hair is just to much and they don't give Nobell it's Venus Love Me Chain and only give it a couple of standard beam sabers.

CorvoSol

I agree it does.

Hell I even bought Ber first. Thing is the hair is just to much and they don't give Nobell it's Venus Love Me Chain and only give it a couple of standard beam sabers.

Does the regular one come with the chain?

I shouldn't be buying this, especially after putting down for WGZC Special and TGIII Special, because I know it'll make me want to get a God Gundam kit, too.

Beth Cyra

Does the regular one come with the chain?

I shouldn't be buying this, especially after putting down for WGZC Special and TGIII Special, because I know it'll make me want to get a God Gundam kit, too.
It does.

Also don't feel bad over Nobell or God. They are so much higher quality it will make it worth it to you.

Though you don't really need God because of Nobell. You need God and Shining because of Master, he actually comes with stuff for both kits. All of the HGFC's are worth it though, its just sad how Ber is easily the weakest of the bunch.

The God/Nobell every one needs is the Fix Figuration, the bridal carry is pretty much perfect there.

CorvoSol

Dammit I don't even like Allenby, but the Nobel is cuter than the Rising and that Bridal pose is where it is at . . . gaaah. I already bought two kits, I can't put down for two more. I can't, can't, can't.

CorvoSol

Realize was awesome. Especially in SRW J.

---

Also I am definitely going to buy the Nobel and God now. Just trying to decide when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom