• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just answered your own question-it really is a matter of taste. To me the 00 Gundams were a poorly executed (in my opinion) departure from normal Gundam Aesthetics-like slotted mouths etc.

For an AU timeline that was going full bore into "super robot anime" it was the correct decision. The way they did it, however, just didn't jive with me.

I felt the opposite as the 00 Gundams were in HD. Seeing Seed beforehand and seeing the HD upgrades that 00 had and I just happen to really like GN particles.

I love the Turn X because the reveal that it could
do a Shining Finger
was the most insane moment I think I've ever seen in any Gundam show ever.

img_8816.jpg

One of the most badass moments in a Gundam series for sure-right up there with the first shot of the Satellite Cannon.

Wubby

Go get his Meteor Hopper bike too!

To be honest I forgot it! Wasn't on the shelf yet. The Fenice I bought literally had just came out of the big Bandai shipping box.

I may have to buy two of the hoppers. Looks like it is possible to build a real 2-wheel bike out of two of the meteors.

Also MG Ka Sazabi has a big box! I feel bad for those of you who will have to pay for overseas shipping on this one.

Wubby

Which hobby store do you go to, Wubby?

Sazabi picture isn't mine if that's what you are wondering. Sadly in my town there aren't any really good hobby shops like in Akiba. A few small mom and pop hobby shops. If I want to go to a good shop I have to hop on the local train and go up to Shizuoka city.

All of my gunpla (new kits) purchases come from Yamada Denki, Bic Camera or Amazon.jp in that order. Wish there was a Yodobashi Camera here. I love that place. I've found that Yamada has the cheapest price usually so I go there first. That and it's a 3 min bike ride from my house.

For gunpla I tend to stay away from hobby shops. The ones around me at least sell kits at msrp but the electronic shops and Amazon sell them ~30-40% off.

Aizo

Banned
Sazabi picture isn't mine if that's what you are wondering. Sadly in my town there aren't any really good hobby shops like in Akiba. A few small mom and pop hobby shops. If I want to go to a good shop I have to hop on the local train and go up to Shizuoka city.

All of my gunpla (new kits) purchases come from Yamada Denki, Bic Camera or Amazon.jp in that order. Wish there was a Yodobashi Camera here. I love that place. I've found that Yamada has the cheapest price usually so I go there first. That and it's a 3 min bike ride from my house.

For gunpla I tend to stay away from hobby shops. The ones around me at least sell kits at msrp but the electronic shops and Amazon sell them ~30-40% off.

Interesting. I've never been to a Yodobashi Camera, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. I should start looking at Amazon prices. I usually just browse Bic Camera whenever I'm downtown. I never end up buying anything, though. I'm not sure why, but I can't find any models that just scream out, "Buy me!" even though I love Gundam. I like building them, but then I don't know what to do with 'em. Haha.

Wubby

Interesting. I've never been to a Yodobashi Camera, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. I should start looking at Amazon prices. I usually just browse Bic Camera whenever I'm downtown. I never end up buying anything, though. I'm not sure why, but I can't find any models that just scream out, "Buy me!" even though I love Gundam. I like building them, but then I don't know what to do with 'em. Haha.

I've only been to the Yodobashi's in Akihabara and Kyoto. The one in Akihabara has a great hobby section on the 6th floor I think it is. Whenever I go up to Tokyo I'll check out there first. Yodobashi discounts everything and is a great place to pick up the paints and supplies as they have a huge selection. If there's something else I'm looking for but they don't have then I'll head over to Volks and Yellow Submarine and the like.

Hobby wise Amazon.jp has started carrying a lot more over the last two years than they used to. It's a nice place to pick up tools and stuff too. Free shipping for most stuff it seems but some smaller items may require a 2500Y purchase.

CorvoSol

img_8816.jpg

One of the most badass moments in a Gundam series for sure-right up there with the first shot of the Satellite Cannon.

Turn X is so cool. It's got to be the least Gundam looking Gundam ever, but it is so awesome. It's also like, the only time in
Universal Century
where the bad guy pilots a Gundam. Although,
Since every other Gundam show is canon to Turn A, I suppose that's not really the case.

Aizo

Banned
Turn X is so cool. It's got to be the least Gundam looking Gundam ever, but it is so awesome. It's also like, the only time in
Universal Century
Since every other Gundam show is canon to Turn A, I suppose that's not really the case.

Is it really a Gundam? I was pretty certain that it's just a mobile suit called "Turn X." Keep in mind that I did not read your spoiler tags.

Ken

Also MG Ka Sazabi has a big box! I feel bad for those of you who will have to pay for overseas shipping on this one.

how seductive

the original MG sazabi's box was pretty large too wasn't it? just remember it being quite long.

CorvoSol

Is it really a Gundam? I was pretty certain that it's just a mobile suit called "Turn X." Keep in mind that I did not read your spoiler tags.

I just assume it is, since Gym refers to it as the Brother of Turn A, and Turn A is a Gundam.

QUESTION: Is there a 1/144 Virgo or Virgo II kit out there? I kinda want a Virgo for my collection and stuff, but I can't find one on HLJ at all.

Universal Century

gato pilots a gundam in 0083

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Seed Destiny - 15-50
First off, "Looooooooooooooseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!!"
Ahem.
What can I say about Gundam Seed Destiny that hasn't been said before? Probably nothing. It's just a mess. I doubt that the writers had any idea where they were going with this until pretty far down the line. There were far too many recaps and flashbacks which really adds to the thought that they just needed to waste time until they got to 50 episodes. The worst offender of time wasting is the episode near the end -- 47, I believe -- in which we were informed about Meer's (the Lacus lookalike) life through the reading of her diary. This mostly served as a recap, but it was bundled with having to learn more about one of the worst characters in the series.

I'm not going to go on with some rage filled rant, but I will say this: never again shall I watch this series. I am thankful for that.

Aizo

Banned
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Final Plus: The Chosen Future
Terrible title.

I skipped to the end to see the extra ten minutes of ending. Why did the writers forget about Cagalli for the final 5 episodes? She even got her Gundam stolen away. I'll never understand the awful writing of this series. I just don't know how it happened.

Oh! I also have a prediction on the future of C.E.: Do you all think that once the HD Remaster of Seed Destiny ends, they'll announce a new series for the Cosmic Era? That's what I've been thinking it's leading up to.

for real? ppl dont like 0083?

It's messy because they switch directors midway through. The incoming director decided to add an unnecessary love triangle between Kou, Nina, and Gatou to the story that really wasn't needed.

The series did do a few things right though, such as not having an underage, emotionally unstable teenage pilot a 20-30 ton war machine. Not to mention most of the cast looked like professional soldiers.

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Final Plus: The Chosen Future
Terrible title.

I skipped to the end to see the extra ten minutes of ending. Why did the writers forget about Cagalli for the final 5 episodes? She even got her Gundam stolen away. I'll never understand the awful writing of this series. I just don't know how it happened.

Oh! I also have a prediction on the future of C.E.: Do you all think that once the HD Remaster of Seed Destiny ends, they'll announce a new series for the Cosmic Era? That's what I've been thinking it's leading up to.

There was infighting between the production staff and Cagallis voice actor. The result being a reduce (to almost nothing) role in the series. The whole production was plague by infighting and favoritism.

As far as them annoucing a new series in the SEED line? As long as Fukuda and Morosawa stay the fuck away from it I'll possibly be on board.

It's messy because they switch directors midway through. The incoming director decided to add an unnecessary love triangle between Kou, Nina, and Gatou to the story that really wasn't needed.

The series did do a few things right though, such as not having an underage, emotionally unstable teenage pilot a 20-30 ton war machine. Not to mention most of the cast looked like professional soldiers.

ah. Ok that makes sense. Maybe I need to watch it again to see what the difference is. Definitely remember the love triangle popping out of nowhere

Jubern

Gundam Seed Destiny - 15-50
First off, "Looooooooooooooseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!!"

Ahem.
What can I say about Gundam Seed Destiny that hasn't been said before? Probably nothing. It's just a mess. I doubt that the writers had any idea where they were going with this until pretty far down the line. There were far too many recaps and flashbacks which really adds to the thought that they just needed to waste time until they got to 50 episodes. The worst offender of time wasting is the episode near the end -- 47, I believe -- in which we were informed about Meer's (the Lacus lookalike) life through the reading of her diary. This mostly served as a recap, but it was bundled with having to learn more about one of the worst characters in the series.

I'm not going to go on with some rage filled rant, but I will say this: never again shall I watch this series. I am thankful for that.

Nice ahah.

I'm still watching the HD Remaster every week on Tokyo MX. Next week's episode is Athrun's defection with fucking Meyrin of all people.
Watching how Shinn acts in the actual series is now physically painful.

CorvoSol

Nice ahah.

I'm still watching the HD Remaster every week on Tokyo MX. Next week's episode is Athrun's defection with fucking Meyrin of all people.

Athrun and Meyrin's escape and defection is actually one of my favorite episodes in Destiny.

EDIT: F'Reals, though, if anybody knows if they still sell 1/144 Virgos, that'd rock. If not I'll have to look into Mercurius or Vayate.

Aizo

Banned
Nice ahah.

It's so random. She had no role in the series until then...
Going gunpla shopping in a bit. My target is to return with at least a Beargguy-III and a SD Knight Gundam. Mmmmm.
Post your results! Good luck!

Jubern

Athrun and Meyrin's escape and defection is actually one of my favorite episodes in Destiny.

Oh I actually like that episode. But like AlabastreAizo said Meyrin suddenly being part of this is absolutely random. As is Shinn suddenly going berserk at the very end.

CorvoSol

Oh I actually like that episode. But like AlabastreAizo said Meyrin suddenly being part of this is absolutely random. As is Shinn suddenly going berserk at the very end.

It's called Meyrin is a better girlfriend than Destiny Cagalli/it was the ultimate slap to Lunamaria's face.

And Shinn was a psychopath anyway. The best thing about Shinn is his reaction to finding out that Kira and Athrun are alive and that all that jizz he blew over killing them both was in vain.

duckroll

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. I got the SD Knight Gundam, but Beargguy-III is sold out AGAIN. Couldn't find it anywhere. Wtf. Restocks on Tuesday. Brb, crying.

CorvoSol

Shinn had the potential to be awesome.

Destiny should've ended when he killed Kira.

But everything about that episode was bullshit. Especially that he succeeded in defeating Kira. There was no way he should've won that fight. Reality itself had to warp to let him do it. I mean we've seen Kira fly circles around entire fleets, and suddenly he can't blow up the Impulse's packs before they reach its core fighter? And there happen to be enough Impulse packs onboard the Minerva for this strategy? And the captain approved the total destruction of them all in a reckless strategy to defeat one foe?

That episode is worst fight in CE

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. I got the SD Knight Gundam, but Beargguy-III is sold out AGAIN. Couldn't find it anywhere. Wtf. Restocks on Tuesday. Brb, crying.

Check for Virgos for me next time.

Hero

But everything about that episode was bullshit. Especially that he succeeded in defeating Kira. There was no way he should've won that fight. Reality itself had to warp to let him do it. I mean we've seen Kira fly circles around entire fleets, and suddenly he can't blow up the Impulse's packs before they reach its core fighter? And there happen to be enough Impulse packs onboard the Minerva for this strategy? And the captain approved the total destruction of them all in a reckless strategy to defeat one foe?

Check for Virgos for me next time.

If you want to talk about reality warping itself let's discuss the fact that not only was Kira a Coordinator, he was the Ultimate Coordinator and ALSO a Newtype.

Fuck Kira, he's such a shitty and lame protagonist after he gets the Freedom.

duckroll

The worst part of it all is that I also went to this warehouse clearance place (last day!) which had lots of REALLY cheap stuff... but the best "deals" were for fucking HG AGE kits and SD Sangokushi stuff. Really good prices, but I just couldn't bring myself to get cheap AGE kits just because of the price. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.

I guess I'll play with the SD Knight Gundam until Tuesday. T_T

Hero

The worst part of it all is that I also went to this warehouse clearance place (last day!) which had lots of REALLY cheap stuff... but the best "deals" were for fucking HG AGE kits and SD Sangokushi stuff. Really good prices, but I just couldn't bring myself to get cheap AGE kits just because of the price. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't worry Duckroll, you'll get a Bearguy III soon enough. :D

LOL The irony of trying to buy a Bearguy III while playing with a SD Knight Gundam going off the last episode of GBF.

Wubby

Beargguy III seems to be a popular kit. When I went back to get a meteor hopper they were down to the last two Beargguy's.

Aizo

Banned

Now I feel more guilty about not buying this... I saw it in the store today, but I decided against it... I was quite close. Instead, I picked up Char's Z'Gok.

PhiLonius

Why are you guys trying to make sense out of Destiny all of a sudden?

Just let the silly/ridiculous-ness be.

This is actually my favorite fight.

And with the Impulse packs, at least it wasn't Uso levels of waste.

CorvoSol

If you want to talk about reality warping itself let's discuss the fact that not only was Kira a Coordinator, he was the Ultimate Coordinator and ALSO a Newtype.

Fuck Kira, he's such a shitty and lame protagonist after he gets the Freedom.

I never said Kira was the best protagonist (SEED should've starred Athrun), but I mean, at least when he gets the Freedom he isn't beating the crap out of his best friend, fucking his best friend's girl, and crying about it. That aside, though, Kira's being ultra broken only makes the reality warping in that fight more blatant.

Why are you guys trying to make sense out of Destiny all of a sudden?

Just let the silly/ridiculous-ness be.

This is actually my favorite fight.

And with the Impulse packs, at least it wasn't Uso levels of waste.

Don't even get me started on Uso's waste. I didn't, don't, and won't ever understand how there were always enough boots and tops for Uso to waste like a bitch, but never enough to allow Marbet and Oliver to have full Gundams of their own. Nevermind the fact that Zanscare, in an attempt to see how far up the rectum they could shove their heads, never thought to capture those abandoned tops and boots for themselves.

Zanscare never did anything smart, though.

LOL The irony of trying to buy a Bearguy III while playing with a SD Knight Gundam going off the last episode of GBF.

I've seen a considerable increase in fan art of the SD Knight Gundam ever since that episode aired. Further proof that Build Fighters is a livewire of a show.

Now I feel more guilty about not buying this... I saw it in the store today, but I decided against it... I was quite close. Instead, I picked up Char's Z'Gok.

That pose is so dramatic. Why are Bearguys so cool? Why isn't the Bearguy in Maxi Boost? I want the Bearguy III in Maxi Boost.

I never said Kira was the best protagonist (SEED should've starred Athrun), but I mean, at least when he gets the Freedom he isn't beating the crap out of his best friend, fucking his best friend's girl, and crying about it. That aside, though, Kira's being ultra broken only makes the reality warping in that fight more blatant.

It's so satisfying, though! It was the perfect time for Kira to get a taste of his own bullshit. It's like Kira spent a good portion of the show dunking Shinn's head in the proverbial water tank, and then Shinn said "no, I am The Master" and hit him with The Glow.

Still, a more reasonable victory would have been more flexible to build off of. It's a strange fight, in that it seems to operate on the same sort of logic one would use in a multi-stage boss fight. Costs don't matter, just use as much stuff as you can to keep yourself alive, and keep whittling down Kira's lifebar until you can use your limit break to finish him off without triggering some kind of super mode. And the fight sticks out even more because when even more overwhelming odds are put before Shinn, neither he nor his team show as much creativity in combat as they did when they were fighting Kira. It's just a one-time thing.

Don't even get me started on Uso's waste. I didn't, don't, and won't ever understand how there were always enough boots and tops for Uso to waste like a bitch, but never enough to allow Marbet and Oliver to have full Gundams of their own. Nevermind the fact that Zanscare, in an attempt to see how far up the rectum they could shove their heads, never thought to capture those abandoned tops and boots for themselves.

Zanscare never did anything smart, though.

?
They did do that, but they were confiscated while they were being shipped. The LM managed to get one Core Fighter away from Zanscare.
The boots and tops were made from kits, so it's not that hard to slap them together. They just clip out the plates, piece them together and paint on some red and blue.

I'm only half-joking about that last part, too.

After Marbet and Oliver found the extra Core Fighters, they had dibs on them for the rest of the series. Heck, Oliver had his own Core Fighter (which was an improvement on the one Uso was using), and he almost exclusively sortied in that one after he and the Shrike Team came careening in like the Royal Mounties during their introduction. The only reason Marbet didn't do the same was because of contrivance, just like how she got sidelined from having the original Core Fighter at the start of the show.
- Oh, someone needs to pilot an enemy suit to cause confusion? Marbet can handle it.
- We've got this sweet new mobile support unit? Better put the only pilot worth a damn in it.
And so on.

And Zanscare couldn't give two flips about component tech. They've already got their hands on the Core Fighters, those are the only parts they cared about. BESPA, being the engineering fetishists that they are, only cared about making bigger, stronger versions of the Zolo. They're stupid like that.

CorvoSol

I was mostly referring to the first half, before they go to space, where Uso blew boots up constantly, but nobody bothered to build a second Gundam.

What you guys don't realize when Shinn took down Kira is that it was Lacus's plan all along.

How else would Strike Freedom have been ready so fast? A quick call to that Douche Dundral or whatever that Kira and Co were in said area, Shinn takes out old Freedom as a mission, Kira survives because Lacus needs her main squeeze and to win the overall conflict and so does the Archangel.

Cue next few episode where Lacus is transporting super weapon Strike Freedom in the Eternal, hugs Kira for some sympathy, makes him wipe out a whole fleet of ZAFT forces including 3 cruisers and then goes on to win the war with her becoming main head and having her boy toy to make Omega Kira/Lacus babies. (Kira is already Ultimate coordinator)

That is the end of Seed Destiny, what a hilarious Gundam show. lol Poor Athrun never got to do that with Cagalli.

PhiLonius

I was mostly referring to the first half, before they go to space, where Uso blew boots up constantly, but nobody bothered to build a second Gundam.

I guess you stopped watching before it got to the point where he threw all the top and bottom fighters away. Every single one.
Yet the next episode it was like it never happened.

If they have a different lead writer, character designer, and director. It might not be the worst thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom