• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Bought HGBF Zaku Amazing and Gundam X Maoh for my brother when he finishes his Build Strike. Hope he likes the Gundam X (he specifically asked for Zaku Amazing). D:

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 3

This episode, to me, is what the 08th MS Team is all about. It really shows you what the One Year War was like: a war fought by real people, in which a single Mobile Suit could turn the tide of the entire battle. Later conflicts in UC are so space and mobile suit oriented that they almost entirely lose the human element as Tomino's battle dialogue crumbles under the crushing weight of actual sanity, but the One Year War was a really human conflict. Even the original Mobile Suit Gundam was better when it kept things on Earth and out of space. I'm sure this is blasphemy, but the battle between Amuro and Ramba Ral really is the series' high water mark to my eyes. Amuro and Ral are enemies, but neither sees the either as bad, and their mutual respect one for the other lends a reality and credibility to their battle which later series would spoil with melodrama (looking at you, Kira and Athrun), and their actual combat is brutal, and makes use of the humanoid forms of their weapons. It isn't just flying robots shooting colorful energy beams at bits fired from an egg shaped drone, it's two men, wielding melee weapons, dancing the dance of death and life, and desperately trying to kill the other even as they really, really don't want to.

And that's something I feel that Gundam has almost entirely strayed from from Zeta onward. The talk of "They're Newtypes and they can understand one another's emotions better than us!" has almost entirely poisoned Universal Century's conflicts. Kamille doesn't have anything near the relationship Amuro did with Ral in his series. He routinely beats the shit out of Jared and whines at Sarah for not getting anything. Haman and Poptarts Sriracha are almost completely unknown persons to him, and their battles almost exclusively take place in space, rather than on the ground. It's ironic that they talk so much of breaking free of Gravity, because at times Zeta's battles have been utterly and entirely robbed of gravity. There's no weight to those fights.

Then ZZ rolls around, and while Haman's obsession with Judau and Judau's rage against everything else is great, the only case where Judau even comes near the greatness of that Ral fight is against Puru Two, for what I think are obvious reasons.

Don't get me started on Char's Counterattack. The only fight worth mentioning in that entire trainwreck is Amuro vs. Char, and they're on a meteor. The rest of that movie, just no. Especially Quess. Just no.

Unicorn peaks out with the Banshee fight because Marida is basically the only character with whom Banagher has formed this manner of relationship.

Victory is shit and I hate it and it is shit and I hate it so fucking much and did I mention how shitty Victory is?

Don't get me wrong, I think that villains themselves can pose credible threats without having the kind of relationship that Ral and Amuro had, since the Turn A vs Turn X throw-down at the end of Turn A was excellent, and certainly fights in Unicorn, Wing, Zeta, ZZ, and a few from SEED have been worthwhile, too. I just don't think a white knight and a black knight fighting each other is as human as two soldiers who happen to be on opposing sides and forced to kill one another is. That's what I am getting at here.

I mean, can you really say that at any time in 00 there was that kind of tension? In SEED Destiny? In AGE? In Stardust Memory, or in Victory?

The only fights I would call more human, more emotional and more meaningful than the ones in MSG are the ones in G, where a central theme is communication through battle. In non-UC and non-G, the best example of what I'm talking about is when Athrun and Kira finally do give up their "join my side" talk and out and out try to kill one another.

But honestly, as cool as Newtypes are, I really do think there is something that psychic powers and hilariously overpowered Gundams rob from the series. Maybe part of that is due to Tomino's incapacity to write good battle dialogue, or maybe it is just a matter of my personal preferences getting in the way.

But two mechs struggling in a vicious clash of steel on steel as their pilots face the reality that they are going to kill someone they don't want to kill is where it is at. Those are the real fights. Those are the ones that make this all worth while.

duckroll

I got the RG Freedom last year for Christmas and it's a really interesting build. Super fun. The biggest issues I have with it is that the plastic on the wings feel a little too thin and the internal frame and especially the fingers feels really fragile. Overall it looks fantastic. I don't normally use stickers, but I did use them on the two RGs I built since I didn't feel like painting them. The biggest shame with that is that the metallic stickers included with RG kits are hot garbage. Worse than even normal foil stickers. They don't stick worth a damn and can't cling to even the shallowest of curved surfaces.

As for being PG quality, that's a bit of a stretch. They're as impressive an engineering feet do to the size, but it feels like they lack a lot of the cool gimmicks Bandai would throw on a PG. Even gimmicks they do have, like the sliding armor stuff, just doesn't work consistently due to the scale. They're much closer to your typical MG real ease quality than the top of the line stuff.

Still, for the price Freedom was super awesome and impressive. The engineering pulled off at that scale is staggering and the backpack in particular is one of the more inventive builds I saw probably until I built Nu ver. Ka. It's a really nice kit.

The articulation and engineering is definitely MG quality. That I've seen for myself from the manual scans an what not. He was specifically referring to the build quality of the parts being closer to PG though. The downside is definitely the scale (I guess it's actually an upside for people who are display space constrained though?), but I think that's probably also how they can get away with selling higher quality parts for cheaper, since it's smaller in scale and hence doesn't require as much work to make it look more intricate in detail, as it would for a 1/60 kit.

Enron

Banned
The articulation and engineering is definitely MG quality. That I've seen for myself from the manual scans an what not. He was specifically referring to the build quality of the parts being closer to PG though. The downside is definitely the scale (I guess it's actually an upside for people who are display space constrained though?), but I think that's probably also how they can get away with selling higher quality parts for cheaper, since it's smaller in scale and hence doesn't require as much work to make it look more intricate in detail, as it would for a 1/60 kit.

One thing i liked about the RG zaku (i have assembled the inner arms and legs) is

no

more

polycap

they do all that shit for you!

PhiLonius

The 08th MS Team 3

The Kira/Athrun fight was what I first thought of when reading this. The weight/meaning that you elude to is there and I think a large part of that is the previous history between the two from before the starting point of the show and the 25 - 30+ episode build up to their fight and
Kira's "death"
. They went from having little skirmishes where they were trying to feel each other out and each had a point to make but ultimately they weren't trying to hurt the other, to having their minds made up, the gloves off, and trying to go for the kill.

If you look at other rivalries/counterparts throughout Gundam there's usually a lack of screen-time/interaction, cause and effect between the two, time/build-up, or just a combination of these things that causes them to not work as well as they should. I think pairings like Kamille v. Jerid, Heero v. Zechs, Asemu v. Zeheart, Kuo v. Gato fall short for these very reasons. CCA is such a a missed opportunity in the way they give a send off to arguably the two figureheads of Gundam as a whole. Two guys who go from not knowing the other to being rivals to teammates to rivals yet again. The tension between the two is always there whether its on the battlefield or a hallway, whether they're fighting one another or teaming together and there was always this mutual respect between the two that made it that much greater. I think that sort of connection between two characters in Gundam is very rare (Domon/Master Asia maybe) but I think that adds to having impactful, significant fights.

CorvoSol

He should make an annual CorvoCon so everyone can get their Victory Gundams signed.

Is "FUCK" a valid signature?

The Kira/Athrun fight was what I first thought of when reading this. The weight/meaning that you elude to is there and I think a large part of that is the previous history between the two from before the starting point of the show and the 25 - 30+ episode build up to their fight and
Kira's "death"
. They went from having little skirmishes where they were trying to feel each other out and each had a point to make but ultimately they weren't trying to hurt the other, to having their minds made up, the gloves off, and trying to go for the kill.

If you look at other rivalries/counterparts throughout Gundam there's usually a lack of screen-time/interaction, cause and effect between the two, time/build-up, or just a combination of these things that causes them to not work as well as they should. I think pairings like Kamille v. Jerid, Heero v. Zechs, Asemu v. Zeheart, Kuo v. Gato fall short for these very reasons. CCA is such a a missed opportunity in the way they give a send off to arguably the two figureheads of Gundam as a whole. Two guys who go from not knowing the other to being rivals to teammates to rivals yet again. The tension between the two is always there whether its on the battlefield or a hallway, whether they're fighting one another or teaming together and there was always this mutual respect between the two that made it that much greater. I think that sort of connection between two characters in Gundam is very rare (Domon/Master Asia maybe) but I think that adds to having impactful, significant fights.

I think the relationship outside of the mech is the important part. Heero hasn't really got the personality for a relationship outside of a mech, and Asemu and Zeheart's entire friendship is based on a musical montage. But guys like Kamille and Kou didn't even know their enemies that well.

I think fights of this nature include but are not limited to: Amuro vs Ramba Ral, Judau vs Puru Two, Tobia vs Crux, Domon vs Master, Domon vs Sai Saici, Domon vs The Devil (during the finals and after), Athrun and Kira and like, Loran vs Ghyn.

PhiLonius

I think the relationship outside of the mech is the important part. Heero hasn't really got the personality for a relationship outside of a mech, and Asemu and Zeheart's entire friendship is based on a musical montage. But guys like Kamille and Kou didn't even know their enemies that well.

I think fights of this nature include but are not limited to: Amuro vs Ramba Ral, Judau vs Puru Two, Tobia vs Crux, Domon vs Master, Domon vs Sai Saici, Domon vs The Devil (during the finals and after), Athrun and Kira and like, Loran vs Ghyn.

I think there are times where it works going against that idea. While the actual execution may not have been as tight, on paper Kira v Shinn works in that sort of way. Outside of the Final Plus ending, they had only met face to face once before and neither knew who the other was at the time. But from that point on they are sort of linked. They really only know of each other through a middleman in Athrun and through their respective Gundams.

For Shinn, the Freedom is the suit that brings up bad memories of the past, the one he and his side come up short against a few times, and the one involved in
Heine and Stella's deaths
. I think Kira and his side see the Impulse as the suit at the forefront of ZAFT/Durandel's war efforts, the one involved in a lot of conflicts, and a persistent threat. They even have their moment where they work together, though it was short-lived. Kira inadvertently pushes Shinn to be a better pilot and Shinn gives Kira his best challenge at that point. Amuro and Char during the beginning parts of 0079 are similar but doesn't really go in the same direction.

CorvoSol

I think there are times where it works going against that idea. While the actual execution may not have been as tight, on paper Kira v Shinn works in that sort of way. Outside of the Final Plus ending, they had only met face to face once before and neither knew who the other was at the time. But from that point on they are sort of linked. They really only know of each other through a middleman in Athrun and through their respective Gundams.

For Shinn, the Freedom is the suit that brings up bad memories of the past, the one he and his side come up short against a few times, and the one involved in
Heine and Stella's deaths
. I think Kira and his side see the Impulse as the suit at the forefront of ZAFT/Durandel's war efforts, the one involved in a lot of conflicts, and a persistent threat. They even have their moment where they work together, though it was short-lived. Kira inadvertently pushes Shinn to be a better pilot and Shinn gives Kira his best challenge at that point. Amuro and Char during the beginning parts of 0079 are similar but doesn't really go in the same direction.

But you can see, at the same time, how Kira and Shinn is a watered down, empty version of Kira and Athrun. Shinn's just some person who we all know is practically irrelevant in his own show. Athrun and Kira's showdown in the Strike and Aegis works because the show has built them up to be former friends and it also sells us on their brutal murders of respective friends.

Shinn vs anyone, meanwhile, is exactly the kind of melodramatic attempt at recreating the very human conflict seen between Ral and Amuro that I think is typical of what is wrong with battles in the Gundam series from a narrative stand-point. Shinn and Kira don't know each other at all, and the basis for Shinn's hatred of Kira is so hilariously without standing that the only thing equally absurd is the righteousness of Kira in spite of logic. Neither of them have credible reasons for fighting each other. Athrun vs Kira works because "You killed my friend." Ral and Amuro work because they knew each other, respected each other, and were fighting themselves as much as each other. Domon and Master Asia works because their bravado and anger is a bluff for the deep sorrow they both feel at having to fight someone they love.

But Shinn barely knows Kira. Kamille barely knows Jared, and he knows Poptarts even less. Katejina was Uso's internet girlfriend. At most. Heero and Zechs fight each other repeatedly, and while it is awesome, it isn't that kind of awesome because Heero has all the personality of a sarcastic brick. Asemu and Zeheart are a musical montage, Flit thinks the bad guys aren't human, and Kio is just stuck in the middle of it. Ribbons and Setsuna have no chemistry, and Mr. Bushido is only spared from being the worst rival in the series because Cronicle exists. The only good villain in that show is Ali Al Saachez, and he's just Gauron with a goatee.

From a physical standpoint, I think Jexhius pointed it out well last night in the other thread when he said that air/space battles are by default not as fun to watch as ground battles. There's almost no terrain, and that severely limits the number and kind of movements a choreographer might put in a land battle.

The funny thing is that, while in-universe Gundam's ideology of breaking free from Gravity and becoming a New Type who can understand others more easily makes sense, I really think it hurts the UC timeline's battles, because now all battles are in space, and all conversations are these wacky series of Tominoisms.

I'm hoping, though, that my opinion of the series improves as I rewatch it, though, and that seeing Zeta in Japanese will severely improve my opinion of it, because I feel that all UC post MSG is heavily influenced by Zeta, and as I don't think that highly of Zeta, it makes sense I find the rest of post MSG UC to have problems. In fairness, though, what I really think less of is Post Zeon UC. Crossbone was amazing, but F91 is a mess and Victory is the only Gundam series I failed to finish.

People want something they like to sell so they can get more of it. Not hard to figure out and, on topic, surely you can empathize if you've ever had a show you wish never ended.

I didn't say I couldn't understand it. I just find it unusual. Which is my explanation for why I don't follow sales for video games.

Mobile Suit Gundam 16

So in this episode Sayla takes the Gundam out for a joyride, and I'm still not entirely sure why. She says it is to prove that a woman can fight as well as a man in a mech (which yeah, okay), but when she lands in solitary she makes it sound like it was to discover whether or not Char was her brother and whether or not he was alive. Which I don't know how she was going to do in a fight. In the meantime, Amuro suits up in the Gunman and proves he can kick ass regardless of the mech, although he has a hard time going suit to suit with Ral at this point. Ral, for his part, just kinda waltzes around the battle-field, kicking ass. At one point he becomes a trap-door spider, hides under the sand, the pops out of it and slices the Gundam's foot in two. It's freaking awesome. It's Ramba Ral.

Oh and I guess the boat needs some salt.

The 08th MS Team 4

So let's get the good out of the way first, shall we? The team interactions in this episode were great. Karen socks Sanders, and Sanders tanks a kick to the balls. Shiro bails him out of a fight, and Elidor freaks out at being offered his job as MS pilot. It all comes together when Sanders himself decides to kick his curse to the curb and beat the shit out of the Apsalus.

And here's what's bad:

The Apsalus. The fucking Apsalus. I mean first of all it is a Mobile Armor, and those are the STUPIDEST THING IN GUNDAM HISTORY. There has NEVER. EVER. EVER been a Mobile Armor which wasn't shit. THIS INCLUDES CHALIA BULL AND LALAH SOONE. Mobile Armors are SHIT.

And here's why: The Zeon dump a hilarious amount of money into building the Apsalus, and Sahalin is laughing mad about how goddamn powerful this stupid thing that is literally a turd with an anus mouth and Zaku head slapped on, but in the end, its just a flying cannon. Because when it is faced by TWO mobile suits firing on it, the dude in the background points out "you can't handle that kind of fire at that range!" And Sanders jumps on the damn thing and splits it open with a single beam saber.

And that is Mobile Armors for you in a nutshell. Spacers waste a hilarious amount of money on them, the bad guys hype it up and laugh about how it is so undefeatable and this time they're gonna kill that Gundam for sure, then one or two mechs kill it in less than ten minutes.

Because it's a pod with a cannon. Or a wheel. Or something. It's just this dumpy blob of metal that sucks and is going to die. Every time. All the time.

If you are writing a Gundam show, do me a favor and don't include Mobile Armors. You know why G Gundam is the best Gundam show? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY FUCKING MOBILE ARMORS.

Wubby

Well it's here!

For those that asked I think the box is about the same size as the old Sazabi and mega size kits.

Lots of plastic! I really need to clean my desk before I can get started on this one. I don't have enough room for the box.

Aizo

Banned
I know I already posted a picture of Char's Zaku II at this nearby eyeglasses store, but they decorated for Christmas! How much would those life size models cost?!
jsH6wGS.jpg

b9Qi6AB.jpg
I love the Z'Gok holding up the sunglasses.

Mobile Suit Gundam - 1-13
I have a confession to make, not that it was ever a secret. I haven't finished the original series. Hold on! Let me finish. I played a bunch of games that told the story of the series, read parts of The Origin, and had a friend who always told me about Gundam history stuff that I didn't know. Because of this, I wanted to watch the series that I knew nothing about before I restarted (I'd seen random episodes, but not the entire thing) this series. I knew enough to watch Char's Counterattack four years ago and I've been watching Unicorn from episode one. But, I haven't watched all of 0079, Zeta, ZZ, or the UC spinoffs. Let the UC journey commence! I'm pretty fucking excited. I don't have much time lately, so this is going slower than the SEED watch (I was home sick and not too busy for most of that, so I busted through pretty quick).

There are slight differences already from The Origin, like when Char meets Sayla for the first time. It's quite interesting. I find the directing in this series to be phantasmagoric. Scenes like
Garma's death
, the first fight with Ramba Ral and the one in which Amuro shoots the guard investigating the grounds when he meets up with his mother capture the drama fantastically. I'm really loving this more than I thought was possible. Sieg Zeon.

Enron

Banned
Well it's here!

For those that asked I think the box is about the same size as the old Sazabi and mega size kits.

Lots of plastic! I really need to clean my desk before I can get started on this one. I don't have enough room for the box.

I have the old Sazabi. I still have the box. It's so massive, i use it to store a few other completed MGs including the Sazabi. The new Ver Ka box is bigger :x

PhiLonius

Has anyone here done any resin/plastic casting for duplicate or custom parts on a kit?

But you can see, ....

I can kind of agree with that but I wouldn't say Kira v Shinn is completely empty. I feel that on a very base level, everything for good encounters, drama, action, development, etc..., the thing that you see in Amuro v Ral, it's all there but the execution of it all falls flat. Reason for that could be as you said earlier poor writing, too much to juggle in terms of other characters/stories, or a different direction or lack of. Bringing up CCA again, it would have hit harder had there been a prologue or series of flashbacks that set up Amuro and Char post Z/ZZ. I think because of that those final battles lack that level of impact.

CorvoSol

I can kind of agree with that but I wouldn't say Kira v Shinn is completely empty. I feel that on a very base level, everything for good encounters, drama, action, development, etc..., the thing that you see in Amuro v Ral, it's all there but the execution of it all falls flat. Reason for that could be as you said earlier poor writing, too much to juggle in terms of other characters/stories, or a different direction or lack of. Bringing up CCA again, it would have hit harder had there been a prologue or series of flashbacks that set up Amuro and Char post Z/ZZ. I think because of that those final battles lack that level of impact.

My problems with Kira and Shinn are chiefly these: first, they don't know each other. They barely even meet outside of their mecha, so they really haven't got any relationship going on. Second, the thing which should cover that, their motivations, is baseless. Shinn's entire reason for hating Kira is because he's in the Freedom. He hates the Freedom because it was at Orb when it fell. I mean, nevermind that he ignores that the Freedom was protecting Orb that day, because Shinn also blames the fall of Orb on the Royal Family, even though they were doing what they could to defend their tiny nation from being caught up in a war that would destory the world. Shinn's entire reason for anger, barring the death of his family, is nonsense. So he just hates Kira for reasons nobody in the audience can believe.

Kira doesn't even hate Shinn. He just hates war and blah de blah.

So they fight, and it is in the air, and it is probably one of the worst fights in Gundam history. I mean, I hate to be a broken record, but Shinn shouldn't even win that fight. It defies reason and it takes ten seconds to point out why. The Freedom is a super-fast mecha capable of flying circles around everyone and Shinn doesn't even have the Destiny yet. Why doesn't the Freedom blow up the cores before Shinn can stab him? How does the captain authorize such flagrant waste of military technology on such a long shot? How does Kira survive a nuclear explosion to a cockpit?

The worst part though is the fight makes a huge deal about how Kira is unwilling to target cockpits and that's what gets him "killed." Cut to second half of the show the Strike Freedom is firing massive amounts of laserbeams everywhere and exploding entire fleets of dudes. What happened to Kira's "I won't kill you" here? More annoying still though is the way the fight makes it look like Kira is somehow completely paralyzed during Shinn's docking sequences. I mean outside of Victory and MSG docking sequences seem to be entirely off-limits anyway, but this whole fight practically runs off of JRPG rules where Shinn is dumping Full Restores on his head and gets away with transforming when it isn't Kira's turn.

If the Freedom has no trouble slicing through the Impulse's top and boots TEN SECONDS after it is done transforming, why is it suddenly impossible to do while it is transforming?

Kira and Shinn is just a bad fight. Hell, it was so bad they don't even bother to fight again on the moon. Instead the show makes the brighter decision of making Athrun fight Shinn, because Athrun actually has a relationship with Shinn, a reason to fight him, and the fight doesn't end in stupid.

Heck, the worst part of the Kira and Shinn fight is they do more or less the same thing again when Athrun escapes from the base, except this time it works because, again, Athrun and Shinn know each other, Athrun has a hostage, Shinn's gone bats at that point in the game and Shinn has the Destiny while Athrun is in some mook suit. That fight works. It's tense, there's some shadow of emotion, and it all works.

Basically Athrun should've been the main character of Destiny, whilst Kira should really have just kept banging Lacus on some beach somewhere.

PhiLonius

It seems a lot of the reasons that specific fight don't work for you are the very reasons it works for me. I feel like Shinn, and really most of Destiny, is one big mess with very few, really good moments but for me that fight is one of them.

I will say that it's far from the best, but it is one of my favorites in all of Gundam.

CorvoSol

It seems a lot of the reasons that specific fight don't work for you are the very reasons it works for me. I feel like Shinn, and really most of Destiny, is one big mess with very few, really good moments but for me that fight is one of them.

I will say that it's far from the best, but it is one of my favorites in all of Gundam.

Also don't forget that Destiny was my 2nd Gundam show and my opinions about it are all kinds of odd because I saw it before I even saw SEED. Kira was awesome in Destiny to me because I didn't realize what a douche he'd become since SEED.

Beth Cyra

I did really Athrun trashing Shinn at the end. I think that's the only moment I enjoyed in the entire second half of Destiny. Also, I'm pretty sure Kira was still never killing dudes at the end.
Yeah. Kira's beams always had a few moments of lingering in a camera shot to show they stopped but didn't destroy the suit.

The only one who really went from No Kills to Fuck This Shit was Heero when he nuked the hell out of the Blast Shield and we saw like 30 Serpents get ashed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah. Kira's beams always had a few moments of lingering in a camera shot to show they stopped but didn't destroy the suit.

The only one who really went from No Kills to Fuck This Shit was Heero when he nuked the hell out of the Blast Shield and we saw like 30 Serpents get ashed.

Did Heero have a no-kill policy? I don't remember that. I remember Duo, Trowa, Quatre, Noin and Zechs choosing not to kill the Serpent pilots. But then Heero just shows up and said "Fuck this wall and fuck anyone inbetween"

PhiLonius

Did Heero have a no-kill policy? I don't remember that. I remember Duo, Trowa, Quatre, Noin and Zechs choosing not to kill the Serpent pilots. But then Heero just shows up and said "Fuck this wall and fuck anyone inbetween"

I don't think he was around when they laid those rules down.

Beth Cyra

No he doesn't.

However given his arc and Wing's story structure Heero had a prolonged period of time of not killing people. After he takes over Zero, the story quickliy moves towards the Gundam pilots helping the Eath Sphere against White Fang.

Combo that with Heero's obsession to protect the colonies and end Zechs grasp on them he doesn't end up killing anyone. Same when he decides to spare Zech's life for Relena.

So he probably has the longest streak of no blood on his hands until he nukes Brussels.

CorvoSol

I did really Athrun trashing Shinn at the end. I think that's the only moment I enjoyed in the entire second half of Destiny. Also, I'm pretty sure Kira was still never killing dudes at the end.

The look on Shinn's face when he finds out that Athrun and Kira are both alive and that he wasted all that time jizzing over killing them is the single greatest moment in all of Destiny.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The look on Shinn's face when he finds out that Athrun and Kira are both alive and that he wasted all that time jizzing over killing them is the single greatest moment in all of Destiny.

Yeah you're right, this is pretty great

JiEevRs.png

Also this

wcFk0Sq.png

Rajack

You know what the true crimes of 0083 are? The fact that living legend Horikawa Ryo voiced the worst Gundam pilot in history, Uraki Kou. And in turn Uraki "I CAN'T HIT A FUCKING THING AND SHOULD HAVE MY FUCKING EYES CHECKED" Kou piloted two of the most glorious Gundams ever designed, especially the badass Gundam GP03 Stamen Dendrobium.

CorvoSol

Yeah you're right, this is pretty great

JiEevRs.png

Also this

wcFk0Sq.png

Seeing Shinn melt down really made me feel so much better about Destiny.

Mobile Suit Gundam 17

So Amuro thinks he can out strategize Bright, and tries to throw his weight around in battle. The battle is barely won, and that for reasons that had very little to do with Amuro's own strategy and more because Kai is a boss. Meanwhile, Ramba Ral proves he's a super upstanding guy by pointing out that the only reason he wants to blow up the White Base is because doing so would not just avenge Garma, but ensure profitable careers for his men and a life of luxury for his mistress/wife/whatever it is that Hamon is to him.

Bright, sick of Amuro's attitude, decides to pull him off of Gundam while trying and failing to put the moves on Mirai. Amuro overhears and flips out, and then takes the Gundam with him while he deserts.

Something I missed the first time through is that Bright is only 3 years older than Amuro. He's barely out of his own teenage years and in a war of the scale and kind nobody has ever seen before and has to endure all manner of nonsense without Federation support. Of course he's going to screw up once or twice. The problem is that Amuro can't really see it that way because Amuro is even younger. The entire White Base is so unusual a thing that Cozun doesn't actually believe that Bright and Mirai are officers.

On that note, Mirai is probably about the same age as Bright, and this watch through really demonstrates to me just how reliant Bright is on her for advice. In all honesty, Mirai runs the White Base about as much as Bright does.

Speaking of Mirai, this is the episode where Amuro sees her topless. You see Mirai and Frau Bow topless over the course of the show, but if you want to see Sayla, you have to pony up and watch the movie, son. Even though Frau Bow is underage and Mirai probably isn't that much older than Sayla.

The 08th MS Team 5

In this episode Ellidor and Mikhail get into hijinks that nearly get them dead. I guess maybe it was meant to be sort of serious, but as this is Ellidor and Mikhail, it just comes off as goofy hijinks. In the end Elidor gets his wish and gets to go home and record his song, but not before some shipping with Karen. Which I don't really mind. The whole first half of this show is pretty good stuff. It isn't until Aina and the Ship show up that 08th MS team deteriorates into lightsaber jaccuzzis and mobile armor mobile armor mobile armor incest mobile armor mobile armor mobile armor.

Basically Athrun should've been the main character of Destiny, whilst Kira should really have just kept banging Lacus on some beach somewhere.

Shinn could be salvaged if the show had better writers. Even half baked fixes like Super Robot Wars show that. Shinn just needs to actually learn some fucking lessons for once-maybe a few BrightSlaps© from Talia. And Kira needs to take a page out of Amuro's playbook and stay the fuck out the show for most of it, see: Zeta Gundam.

I would watch a SEED that focuses on Athrun though, but on one condition, that he becomes the great avenger that his character could have and should have been. He's setup perfectly to fill the role. I would rather he become full blown Char then half-assed Char thats only capable when our lord and savior is around.

PhiLonius

One thing I always liked about MSG is that mostly everybody on the White Base grows/develops. No one starts out having all the answers or knowing exactly what to do in certain situations and every one happens to fuck up at some point or another. Bright especially. All that comes across really well.

One thing I always liked about MSG is that mostly everybody on the White Base grows/develops. No one starts out having all the answers or knowing exactly what to do in certain situations and every one happens to fuck up at some point or another. Bright especially. All that comes across really well.

Yeah and people dying comes off as a bit more poignant and meaningful to the series compared to most other Gundam, and ESPECIALLY the later half of Zeta. You can see that when
Ryu dies. His death moves the entire crew of White Base to tears and the reality of war truly begins to sink in as everyone feels responsible for his death and even try to call to his spirit for advice later on.

Enron

Banned
All of you fuckers that are planning on playing Full Boost, we better see your asses in the IRC

#gafgundam on irc.esper.net

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 18

So Amuro hasn't really deserted the Federation, just the White Base. To prove this, he decides he's gonna blow up "the mine" and end the entire need for Operation Odessa. Yes, Amuro is convinced that with one mobile suit he is going to destroy an enemy base so powerful the Earth Federation is planning a massive assault on it. And the terrifying part is that, while the base Amuro destroys is not the base the Federation is targeting, he is otherwise completely right. With a single mobile suit he poses so much of a threat to the mine that Kycillia blows it all to bits, rather than let the Federation get it. When the White Base crew arrives on the scene, they are understandably horrified to know that Amuro's rampage could do this kind of damage.

The interesting thing about this episode is that dirt bag, sleaveball of the year M'Quve is like "No let's not blow this up because there are guys down there!" and Kycillia is the one who orders the detonation. She isn't as evil as Ghiren, but Kycillia definitely proves she's in an entirely different league from Garma.

The 08th MS Team 6

ROMANTIC FEELINGS!! *JAZZ HANDS*

Foofaraw

I just started watching these shows again. I've only watched Gundam Wing a long time ago.

When starting watching UC stuff, should I watch the whole MSG series, or just watch the movie trilogy?

Since I couldn't decide how to go about it, I started watching G Gundam, which is a good deal of silly fun. I am also thinking about getting a Master Grade Heavyarms gunpla at some point when money is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom