• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Oh! I also have a prediction on the future of C.E.: Do you all think that once the HD Remaster of Seed Destiny ends, they'll announce a new series for the Cosmic Era? That's what I've been thinking it's leading up to.
Well, there has been a CE movie in development hell for 10 years or so... maybe it's that and it'll likely be shit
"likely" because the 45 min Stargazer was better than everything in GSD)

Also, Kira should've died at the end of SEED

Wubby

Now that MG Sazabi is almost out I was just thinking, if it sells well enough how long before Bandai puts out a Nightingale based on the Sazabi kit?

What do you think? It'd be an even more massive kit.

vareon

Just watched F91.

Hmmm. Felt like it should be two movies or something, pacing felt weird and rushed. And damn, Carozzo was underused.

CorvoSol

Just watched F91.

Hmmm. Felt like it should be two movies or something, pacing felt weird and rushed. And damn, Carozzo was underused.

F91's pacing is my only issue with it. Otherwise it isn't that bad, and after Crossbone Cecily, Seabook, and Tobia are beloved characters to me.

Jesus Christ, the Titanium Nu Gundam looks absolutely amazing.

Gundam Build Fighters 10

I swear to god Kiraran is the most annoying idol character ever. You could make the whole cast of Idolmaster scream nonsense and I'd be less annoyed, sheesh.

Aila is cool.

Keywords: #nikuman #drunkitalian #ridiculouslyOPgundams

CorvoSol

Jesus Christ, the Titanium Nu Gundam looks absolutely amazing.

Gundam Build Fighters 10

I swear to god Kiraran is the most annoying idol character ever. You could make the whole cast of Idolmaster scream nonsense and I'd be less annoyed, sheesh.

Aila is cool.

Keywords: #nikuman #drunkitalian #ridiculouslyOPgundams

I feel like the point of Kirara is to be annoying and make fun of idol culture. At least I hope that's the case.

CorvoSol

I just went to the anime OT and saw you're watching three Gundam shows and not posting any impressions here, what the fuck man.

Two of the Gundam shows I'm watching are ones I just barely finished posting about in here. Also I'm watching Getter, Mazinger, and Macross and not posting about them in the Mecha OT.

I suppose it is time I repent.

But yeah my watch schedule is currently like this:

Monday = Gundam Day (MSG, 08th MS Team, space reserved for 0080, Gundam Build Fighters).
Tuesday = Not Gundam Day (Bakemonogatari and Earth Maiden Arjuna)
Wednesday = Overflow (I tend to only really watch like, 2-3 episodes a day of anything, so this day is for catching up)
Thursday = New Anime Day (Valvrave, Kill la Kill, Coppelion)
Friday = Not-Gundam Mecha Day (Shin Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, SDF Macross).

It's a bunch of shows, but I don't watch more than like, 2 or 3 a day. Especially since it is Finals Week.

Beth Cyra

Two of the Gundam shows I'm watching are ones I just barely finished posting about in here. Also I'm watching Getter, Mazinger, and Macross and not posting about them in the Mecha OT.

I suppose it is time I repent.

But yeah my watch schedule is currently like this:

Monday = Gundam Day (MSG, 08th MS Team, space reserved for 0080, Gundam Build Fighters).
Tuesday = Not Gundam Day (Bakemonogatari and Earth Maiden Arjuna)
Wednesday = Overflow (I tend to only really watch like, 2-3 episodes a day of anything, so this day is for catching up)
Thursday = New Anime Day (Valvrave, Kill la Kill, Coppelion)
Friday = Not-Gundam Mecha Day (Shin Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, SDF Macross).

It's a bunch of shows, but I don't watch more than like, 2 or 3 a day. Especially since it is Finals Week.

Ewwww on Shin Z. The animation is nice but its totally lacking compared to Z, Great, and Gren.

Which Getter are you watching? The original? If so you need to go into Getter G right after. SHINE SPARK is soooooo good.

CorvoSol

Ewwww on Shin Z. The animation is nice but its totally lacking compared to Z, Great, and Gren.

Which Getter are you watching? The original? If so you need to go into Getter G right after. SHINE SPARK is soooooo good.

Shin Mazinger Z has been pretty fun so far, and also finding a subbed copy of the original Mazinger Z was basically as hard as finding the goddamn Holy Grail. I looked for days.

I'm watching the original Getter Robo, and yeah, I'll watch Getter G afterward. The goal is to run through Mazinger, Getter and Macross alongside Gundam to see how they all stack up.

tumblr_mqmjd3tbFO1rcew05o1_500.jpg

lol

Enron

Banned
busted these two guys out of the closet tonight -

First up, the Archenemy RX-78. This was actually sold here in the US in the early 00s when Bandai was trying to make Gundam "work" here. Picked this up at a Target in Athens, Ga. Really posable! Came with a working Core Fighter, a shitton of hands, two shields, Beam rifle/Javelin/Gundam hammer (complete with plastic chain!)/bazooka. And of course beam sabres. Really nice articulation.

11301658474_6f54734298_b.jpg

Next is the Metal Material Impulse. My sister brought this back from japan for me, and it was fuck awesome. Diecast skeleton and chest, tons of weapons, good detail. BUT CHEAP PLASTICS. Look at that yellowing ;_; I had this on display from 2005-2006 before i put it away and when i took it back out in 2008 it had changed color.

11301733435_8831c002e5_b.jpg

Now that MG Sazabi is almost out I was just thinking, if it sells well enough how long before Bandai puts out a Nightingale based on the Sazabi kit?

What do you think? It'd be an even more massive kit.

Nightingale just looks so fugly. The whole damn design is just too much :/

Well, it was supposed to be a TV series.

I wish they had made a TV series out of it instead. I think the F91 is one the better Gundam designs.

I'd also like to see F90 animated. Dat Oldsmobile army.

Jubern

Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster 36

Very good episode, definitely one of the (if not THE) strongest episodes of the otherwise very weak second half of this mess.
Durandal's true intention finally start to appear through his speech to Athrun and Shinn. Durandal's starting point (as in, his "origin") was ridiculous and his execution was eventually terribly flawed, but I always kind of liked him. It was also probably Meer's best outing in the entire series too, her breakdown was great (not saying this as a mean thing or anything).

Meyrin's involvement in all of this is so weird, Athrun x Meyrin has to be the worst coupling ever. I simply don't find it very good/believable/interesting/whatever, but I remember all the rage from the Athrun x Cagalli fans in 2005, it was so funny ahah.

I had totally forgot the battle was actually in the next episode. And at the end of this one the Gouf has already left for a while and is pretty far away from the base, how the fuck did they caught up to it lol

Nightingale just looks so fugly. The whole damn design is just too much :/

I don't really get why they just made Nightingale the Sazabi but bigger. Love the direction they went with the Shinaju though: nice and simple, guns and speed, no funnel BS. We haven't seen any gundams from Unicorn in Build Fighters yet, but I'm willing bet they're saving it for the champion or something.

Ken

Do we even know what happened to the father?

Working a non-Gunpla job somewhere probably. Someone's gotta pay for upkeep of the store!

Sei's father, a famous Gundam fighter and runner-up in the second world championships. He voyages the world, sending advancements in Gunpla back home to his wife and son at the Iori model shop.

He does a pretty lousy job if so, getting Sei's Universe Booster so late and all.

I don't really get why they just made Nightingale the Sazabi but bigger. Love the direction they went with the Shinaju though: nice and simple, guns and speed, no funnel BS. We haven't seen any gundams from Unicorn in Build Fighters yet, but I'm willing bet they're saving it for the champion or something.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the Qubeley and Star Strike will remain with their respective characters for a while now until Yuuki pulls out either a Sazabi, Nightingale or Sinanju.

If this show is going to continue being as awesome as it is, then we're gonna get a Nu Gundam vs a very fast very red thing for the grand finale.

Ken

Yeah, I'm hoping that the Qubeley and Star Strike will remain with their respective characters for a while now until Yuuki pulls out either a Sazabi, Nightingale or Sinanju.

If this show is going to continue being as awesome as it is, then we're gonna get a Nu Gundam vs a very fast very red thing for the grand finale.

Doesn't Yuki get the Nu Gundam Vrabe in some GBF spin off manga?

Doesn't Yuki get the Nu Gundam Vrabe in some GBF spin off manga?

No idea, I'd hope that it's not canon then. Or maybe...
We've seen Char suits piloted by various people. Aside from Yuuki's Zaku Amazing there was that girl with a custom Hyakushiki. Also, wasn't there a random Zeong earlier on?

Maybe the roles could change.

Ken

No idea, I'd hope that it's not canon then. Or maybe...
We've seen Char suits piloted by various people. Aside from Yuuki's Zaku Amazing there was that girl with a custom Hyakushiki. Also, wasn't there a random Zeong earlier on?

Maybe the roles could change.

You mean in GBF? Nils has a custom Hyaku Shiki. I think Kaiser is listed as having a Zeong.

CorvoSol

Okay so my PayPal check for my WGZC Special clears tomorrow. Does anybody know how long it takes Hobby Link Japan to ship things? Or just how long it takes to ship stuff from Japan to the West Coast of the USA?

Yeah the Sinanju has a more sleek design. It's not a big fatty :x

Ken

RG kits are a nightmare. I have no idea how im going to paint the exterior of this zaku without fucking up the tiny, tiny, and i mean TINY SHALLOW panel lines.

I was out of gunpla when they made RG kits so the Mk2 will be my first. Just getting them out of curiosity since I usually prefer MGs.

The last 2 MGs I made were the Strike Noir and Zeta Plus C1 so it's been awhile. Now all the MG box arts are fancy and pretty.

duckroll, Beargguy needs a goofier expression!

RG kits are a nightmare. I have no idea how im going to paint the exterior of this zaku without fucking up the tiny, tiny, and i mean TINY SHALLOW panel lines.

On the plus side they're awesome even without painting. I mean, I've seen some crazy awesome painted RG models but I think my Zeta looks fantastic and I've done nothing with it except adding panel lines and decals.

duckroll

A friend of mine just finished a RG Freedom kit, and he was really, really happy about it. He said that even without painting it's one of the best kit he has every built. He said the parts were really high quality, and comparable to a PG kit, except in 1/144.

----

Edit: MOAR CUTENESS! I <3 THIS KIT! ^_^

zbwYqrf.jpg

K6yd6YM.jpg

75Jk6ug.jpg

CorvoSol

Yes! My Wing Zero is shipping now! Hopefully I get that near Christmas. HGFC God Gundam is still marked as "December Restock" but I am worried that, because the HGFC Nobel is marked as "February Restock" they won't ship the G until the Nobel is ready. TGIII is still just marked as "Backordered" so I suspect sometime between now and the end of January that'll ship.

CorvoSol

I must be late to this, by decades, I suppose, but I just found out that Episode 15 of the original Mobile Suit Gundam never aired in America nor was made available on DVD. Is there a specific reason and is this episode actually worth tracking down to see?

I must be late to this, by decades, I suppose, but I just found out that Episode 15 of the original Mobile Suit Gundam never aired in America nor was made available on DVD. Is there a specific reason and is this episode actually worth tracking down to see?

It was never made available because Tomino felt it was not up to par compared to all the other episodes. You can watch it if you want to as it really isn't that bad.

yami4ct

A friend of mine just finished a RG Freedom kit, and he was really, really happy about it. He said that even without painting it's one of the best kit he has every built. He said the parts were really high quality, and comparable to a PG kit, except in 1/144.

I got the RG Freedom last year for Christmas and it's a really interesting build. Super fun. The biggest issues I have with it is that the plastic on the wings feel a little too thin and the internal frame and especially the fingers feels really fragile. Overall it looks fantastic. I don't normally use stickers, but I did use them on the two RGs I built since I didn't feel like painting them. The biggest shame with that is that the metallic stickers included with RG kits are hot garbage. Worse than even normal foil stickers. They don't stick worth a damn and can't cling to even the shallowest of curved surfaces.

As for being PG quality, that's a bit of a stretch. They're as impressive an engineering feet do to the size, but it feels like they lack a lot of the cool gimmicks Bandai would throw on a PG. Even gimmicks they do have, like the sliding armor stuff, just doesn't work consistently due to the scale. They're much closer to your typical MG real ease quality than the top of the line stuff.

Still, for the price Freedom was super awesome and impressive. The engineering pulled off at that scale is staggering and the backpack in particular is one of the more inventive builds I saw probably until I built Nu ver. Ka. It's a really nice kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom