• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I just started watching these shows again. I've only watched Gundam Wing a long time ago.

When starting watching UC stuff, should I watch the whole MSG series, or just watch the movie trilogy?

Since I couldn't decide how to go about it, I started watching G Gundam, which is a good deal of silly fun. I am also thinking about getting a Master Grade Heavyarms gunpla at some point when money is available.

G = best Gundam series ever.

As to MSG I've only ever watched the show, but it seems okay to me. Just don't ever watch the Zeta movies because those make a terrible mistake in the ending.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I bought this last night. Gundam Breaker is pretty sweet so far. Does anyone else play this on Vita?
I wanted it, but my country's customs suck at this time of the year and changing PSN regions on Vita is a chore D:

How much Japanese do I need to understand to enjoy Gundam Breaker?
Barely any, if the PS3 beta is any indication.

Aizo

Banned
All of you fuckers that are planning on playing Full Boost, we better see your asses in the IRC

#gafgundam on irc.esper.net

Enron, send me a PS3. I'll buy Full Boost and play it, then.
Good deal?
Sweet.

You're the first other person I've seen on Gaf that has this on Vita!
You have it, too? Yay! I'm only on Mission 6, but it's fun! I'm a bit overwhelmed so far. Haha.

CorvoSol

AWW YEAH! HLJ is shipping my Tallgeese III special now, too! I might get to build both before the end of Christmas break.

Mobile Suit Gundam 19

Not only does this episode feature what I consider to be the best mobile suit battle in the whole first series (no seriously, Gouf vs Gundam is hands down the best fight in MSG.), but it also has Ramba Ral being the best character in the entire series. It really is not hard to see why Ral is such an enduring character. Unlike Garma and M'Quve, Amuro's other opponents, Ral is a good man and a credible threat as a soldier. His Gouf poses a serious threat to the Gundam, and Ral isn't just a great fighter, his verbal smackdown to Amuro lingers with him well after the end of their battle. Amuro realizes that he isn't what matters, but the Gundam, and it causes him to have a breakdown.

It's a great episode. I recommend it to anybody who likes watching mechs throw down.

The 08th MS Team 7

DNBqHYt.jpg

Gundam Build Fighters 11

DYNAMES!

HEAVY ARMS CUSTOM!!

LEMON LIME EPYON!!!

PLOT DEVELOPMENT!!!!

I love this show to pieces.

Gundam Build Fighters 11

I'm very, very surprised that Heavy Arms Kai
wasn't blown the fuck up. They've already destroyed a lot of my favorite suits like Tallgeese and Double X.
:(

On a lighter note yay I'm no longer a junior!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 20

This is the final episode of Ramba Ral, and it is an amazing episode. Hayato and Kai bitch out because Bright's been paying too much attention to Amuro, and so consummate soldier Ryu Jose kicks their asses back onto the ship just in time for Ral to show up with a daring invasion of the White Base. No other villain has managed to land his men on the White Base (and in fact villainous infiltration of the Argama and Nahel Argama was even lower, despite the fact that the Argama had inarguably pathetic security) and Ral's men really tear into the White Base. As they comment on how odd it is that the people they're gunning down are so young, Ral grimly remarks "you'll find a shortage of personnel everywhere these days." This is a man who has seen some shit and is about to unleash some of his own.

An unusual quirk of the episode's animation is that in scenes where Ral is sympathetic he is fat, whereas in his scenes as the villainous commander he is muscular. It's odd, but it works, especially because it is done very subtly.

What does Ral in in the end is that he isn't evil. He's no Ghiren, he's no Char or Kycilia or M'Quve. Ral is a genuinely good man. When he meets Frau Bow aboard the ship, he knocks the gun from her hand and gives her a stern admonition, like a father, rather than the leader of the enemy force. When Ral meets Sayla, he is overcome with joy
because he has known her since she was a child.
That brief mistake proves his undoing, but not before Ral distinguishes himself as
being the first villain to kill a member of the White Base crew. He shoots Ryu in the gut, a wound from which Ryu never recovers.

The best part about Ral really is that he is the most effective enemy the White Base has ever faced, but that he harbors them absolutely no ill will. And not in the sense that he's insane and doing this for the evulz and incapable of feeling hate. Ral genuinely likes people aboard the ship, but he has to destroy the ship because the war demands he do so. Even so, Ral and his men are portrayed with a surprising amount of nobility. One man takes the time to warn Mirai and Kikka to get clear of a bomb he has just set. Ral's men only ever fire on the men aboard the ship, too. The Zeon troops under Ral's command are a far cry from the serial rapists who work for affirmed cradle-robber Cronicle Asshat.

So yeah, Ramba Ral is basically the best dude in the entire Zeon forces.

The 08th MS Team 9

At this point in the show, I feel there is a noticeable decrease in the quality of the plot. Of course this is due to the fact that the original director died, but it still bears saying. Shiro's reason to hate the Zeon is apparently entirely gone now that he has a boner for one in particular and he gives a speech to the General which gets him booted to the curb because we're talking about an enemy that was willing to drop a fucking colony on the continent of Australia. I should also point out that unless you've drunk the kool-aid and sided with the Zeon, MSG out and out states that Ghiren's goal is not independence for Spacers, but WORLD. DOMINATION. See this is the thing right here. The Space people always are like "Waaaah the White Devil keeps us chained to the Earth!" except that's not a very fair portrayal of what really happens. Zeon drops a fucking colony on Australia and Ghiren decides they're going to conquer the world. The Delaz fleet gets together and what do they do? "Hey let's drop a fucking colony on the Earth!" Haman Khan conquers the Earth. She doesn't even say "I want to conquer the Earth." She flat out fucking conquers it. So much for the "Earth is irrelevant" bullshit that Zeon spews. Haman conquers the Earth and then when she can't have it because Judau is wrecking her shit she's like "Well fine I'm gonna drop a colony on this." Char? Same deal "Fuck it I can't actually convince people the peaceful way, so instead I'm going to DROP AN ASTEROID AND DESTROY THE WORLD." Then along comes Cosmo Babylonia and they're like "BTW you know how it was Spacenoid ideology for like a century that the Earth was ruled by shitty bastards who considered themselves the elite? Yeah so we're the elite now but we're not the bad guys because we're FROM SPACE. Waaaaaah White Devil nooooooo!" Then Crux Dogatie is like "My wife left me for Earth so I'M GONNA BLOW IT UP." Then the League Militaire. They're like "We have to save the Earth! BY CRUSHING IT UNDER THE GIANT ASS WHEEL OF PROGRESS!"

So sure, the Earth Federation Empire is ruled over by a bunch of lazy, corrupt, incompetent bastards whose control over the Solar System is a miracle built on the back of Gundams, but the Spacenoids are a bunch of pissy, genocidal bastards so don't root for them, either.

Anyway the only good part of this episode happens before the 08th MS team arrives on the scene, with the guerillas and the Zeon fighting each other because they're both pigheaded lots. The 08th MS Team is pretty much irrelevant in this episode, and don't be surprised, but they're going to stay that way for the rest of the show. There's gonna be an awesome Gouf battle but literally everything else about this half of the show blows.

Note, though, that even at its worst the 08th MS Team is much, much better than other Gundam shows at their best. LOOKING AT YOU, STARDUST MEMORY AND VICTORY GUNDAM.

ultron87

After building the HG Exia as my first Gunpla build and having a very good time I decided to step up my game and got an RG GP01 Full Burnern from 0083, since I always liked that suit and wasn't ready to move up to a bigger scale.

Just opened the box. It is slightly intimidating since it had triple the parts of the Exia. This should be fun.

Ken

After building the HG Exia as my first Gunpla build and having a very good time I decided to step up my game and got an RG GP01 Full Burnern from 0083, since I always liked that suit and wasn't ready to move up to a bigger scale.

Just opened the box. It is slightly intimidating since it had triple the parts of the Exia. This should be fun.

HG GP01 FB was my first HG. I liked it so much I eventually got the MG too. :D

CorvoSol

So the new Zelda game is making me want to try my hand at Gundam Musou. Gee, when did I suddenly want to play all these Gundam games?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So the new Zelda game is making me want to try my hand at Gundam Musou. Gee, when did I suddenly want to play all these Gundam games?

Well Musou is like the only localized Gundam game. I wish they would bring more over. I would play the shit out of Gundam Breaker

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 21

Dammit. Just. I knew it was coming. Everyone knew it was coming, but dammit all. This is what happens when your strapping young heroes are fighting each other. This shit right here. Nevermind the amazing parallels in this episode between it and the Ray and Charles Arc in E7
namely that the hero meets an older man of great standing who happens to be an enemy and that war causes the man to die, which drives the man's wife to make a suicide attack on the ship, ending in terrible death all around
. Nevermind that stuff, because nobody is going to remember it. What you will always remember is that
Ryu gave his life so that Zeon could be stopped and White Base saved. Ryu Jose is a hero, a genuine, bonafide hero.

CorvoSol

Gundam Musou 3 is the best one IMO and shin looks to improve on it. Buy both if you can.

Shin looks like it is 80 bucks, man. I'd be lucky to buy even one.

LOL what the heck.

The 08th MS Team 9

Ellidor loves Karen. Shiro is probably a traitor! Blah blah blah Apsalus is a stupid machine anyway. OH NO THE ZEON ARE USING DRUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS.

At least there was an Acguy and the Gun EZ 8 rolled out in this ep.

Basically at this point though I'm just hanging on for DAT GOUF.

Dammit. Just. I knew it was coming. Everyone knew it was coming, but dammit all. This is what happens when your strapping young heroes are fighting each other. This shit right here. Nevermind the amazing parallels in this episode between it and the Ray and Charles Arc in E7
namely that the hero meets an older man of great standing who happens to be an enemy and that war causes the man to die, which drives the man's wife to make a suicide attack on the ship, ending in terrible death all around
. Nevermind that stuff, because nobody is going to remember it. What you will always remember is that
Ryu gave his life so that Zeon could be stopped and White Base saved. Ryu Jose is a hero, a genuine, bonafide hero.

Ah yes the glorious White Base. Surely everyone in the federation will remember their sacrifices as a single insignificant diversionary force that no one cared about much at all. Except that one weirdo in a mask.

CorvoSol

Ah yes the glorious White Base. Surely everyone in the federation will remember their sacrifices as a single insignificant diversionary force that no one cared about much at all. Except that one weirdo in a mask.

Hey, considering every main ship in the series after this is reminiscent of the White Base, I'd say the ship proved its worth to the Federation. Plus the Gundam was onboard, and the legacy of that first Gundam is undeniable. The Federation may have seen it as a diversionary force, but the White Base is also the ship that killed the Zeon Prince, Ramba Ral, and cost the Red Comet his reputation.

Jubern

I played some Shin Gundam Musou in a store. When I took the pad it was right before mission 2 of Unicorn which is basically episode 2's battle and, fuck me, it even had the RX-0 BGM, one of my favourites. I now want this really bad and might bite on the Vita version soon-ish. Played a lot of 1 and 2...

Also I just watched Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster episode 37 and Durandal's game as a manipulator is seriously going to shit, yet Shinn believes him even more than before. FFS. Oh and this is also the episode were Shinn and Luna get together out of nowhere I totally forgot about how shit that was lol

CorvoSol

I played some Shin Gundam Musou in a store. When I took the pad it was right before mission 2 of Unicorn which is basically episode 2's battle and, fuck me, it even had the RX-0 BGM, one of my favourites. I now want this really bad and might bite on the Vita version soon-ish. Played a lot of 1 and 2...

Also I just watched Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster episode 37 and Durandal's game as a manipulator is seriously going to shit, yet Shinn believes him even more than before. FFS. Oh and this is also the episode were Shinn and Luna get together out of nowhere I totally forgot about how shit that was lol

I honestly felt Shinn and Luna was a better romance than Shinn and Stella and that it made better sense than Shinn and Stella. Because even teenage me hated Shinn and Stella with the passion of a zillion suns.

I actually really hope I do get a Vita for Christmas this year, 'cuz I'd love to get Shin Musou for it.

Beth Cyra

God damn it. I was fully gunna skip Shin because of the whoring of SEED/Destiny and the disrespect that OO and Wing got.

Then they fucking announce Zero EW DLC for X Mas day. Now I need to buy the thing. Guess I'll grab the Vita Version and the NA PS3 version.

I honestly felt Shinn and Luna was a better romance than Shinn and Stella and that it made better sense than Shinn and Stella. Because even teenage me hated Shinn and Stella with the passion of a zillion suns.

I actually really hope I do get a Vita for Christmas this year, 'cuz I'd love to get Shin Musou for it.
I won't argue that Shin and Stella was good, but in no way was it better then Shinn/Luna. The fact is at least Shinn and Stella show and attraction to one another.

Shin and Luna on the other hand don't, in fact they had shown attraction to others and then in ONE episode they drop all character development in this area and suddenly make them like each other. It comes completely out of nowhere and actually goes against the series up until that point.

CorvoSol

God damn it. I was fully gunna skip Shin because of the whoring of SEED/Destiny and the disrespect that OO and Wing got.

Then they fucking announce Zero EW DLC for X Mas day. Now I need to buy the thing. Guess I'll grab the Vita Version and the NA PS3 version.

I won't argue that Shin and Stella was good, but in no way was it better then Shinn/Luna. The fact is at least Shinn and Stella show and attraction to one another.

Shin and Luna on the other hand don't, in fact they had shown attraction to others and then in ONE episode they drop all character development in this area and suddenly make them like each other. It comes completely out of nowhere and actually goes against the series up until that point.

Shinn and Luna certainly comes out of nowhere, but hey, since at that point they were both psycopaths who were working for a madman, it worked. Like remember how Shinn went out and murdered Luna's crush and her sister and came back and slept with her on the same day?

Destiny is so bad, haha.

But Shinn saw Stella naked!

Amuro x Mirai confirmed.

EDIT: Aw yeah, my HGFC G Gundam is shipping, too! I may get all 3 before the end of Christmas break, and I'll have Nobel to look forward to after next semester!

Shin Gundam Musou... ikimasu!

Copy is on it's way to me via EMS.

I really hope there's more space battles like 2 had. That's one of things I missed in 3. The fanboy in me kind of hopes they expand on the "what if" missions like the few Gato had as well.

Either way as long as they have the Zeta movie endings I'm on board. I enjoy anything that leaves the possibility of retconning ZZ out of existence.

Aizo

Banned
Vita version should be arriving at my apartment this morning. I always miss the Japanese delivery people when they have something for me. I've received packages at 9:00 and at 21:00. It's such an esoteric system.
Shin Gundam Musou... ikimasu!

Copy is on it's way to me via EMS.
Woo! PS3 or Vita?

Chinner

Banned
got a question about stickers on gunpla brahs. no dry/wet transfer included shamefully :(

so last time i used stickerrs were on the god gunpla, and once i had applied the top coat i could still kinda see the outlines, and the gloss coating underneath the sticker. admittedly the stickers included with god gundam are not that great.

do you guys think applying a top coat, then applying the stickers and then another top coat would held the stickers blend in?

matmanx1

Shin Gundam Musou delivered by Fed Ex today!

I also have a yearly tradition of ordering and assembling a new Gunpla around Christmas time and this year I went a little bit overboard. I have the O.Y.W version of Amuro's RX-78, God Gundam and FA ZZ all on order in 1/00 MG guise. Good times await.

mingus

got a question about stickers on gunpla brahs. no dry/wet transfer included shamefully :(

so last time i used stickerrs were on the god gunpla, and once i had applied the top coat i could still kinda see the outlines, and the gloss coating underneath the sticker. admittedly the stickers included with god gundam are not that great.

do you guys think applying a top coat, then applying the stickers and then another top coat would held the stickers blend in?

Can you provide pics? I think putting stickers on top of a layer of top coat would make them stand out more. You could try applying more layers of topcoat on pieces with stickers on them to hide the edges and the gloss better.

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 10

I'm dropping this show now, by the way. Why, you ask? Because this was the best episode it has. The Gouf Custom fight against the Gun EZ8 is as good as this show gets and it gets real bad, real fast from this point onward. The whole of this episode focusing on the Federation operation is good, probably as good as the show ever was, but the half focusing on Ginneas and the Apsalus is as dumb as Gundam gets.

Let me break it down for you:

Ginneas has killed like a million people just to build this thing which, again, is shaped like a turd with a Zaku's head slapped on and an anus where the cannon should be. He has killed commanding officers and so on for it. In this episode, after finishing the Apsalus he murders all of the scientists by poisoning them and then blowing them up with a grenade.

Why?

At some point people just start referring to the Apsalus as Ginneas' dream, but what is that dream? What does the Apsalus embody for Ginneas? Is it the power to crush the Federation? Why did he kill all the scientists who were helping him, and why was he so uninterested in the survival of his own unit? The same goes if the dream was for him to grow in power and fame in Zeon. It can't be world domination because he never once even mentions anything to that effect. Ginneas' motivations for building the Apsalus are never explored, even though he goes to stupid lengths to build the thing. And then it just gets blown up in its first sortie. Hell, the Apsalus has basically lost each time it sortied. When it got ambushed by the 08th team the first time one Gundam was all it took to make the pilot remark "You'll kill us both!" and there were still two other Gundams.

And the Gundams the 08th Team are using aren't even the same as the White Devil. They're like makeshift Gundams or what have you. And in one encounter they bring down the Apsalus. And then after losing his GUN EZ8's arm, Shiro's still going to bring the stupid thing down again.

Ginneas murders a bunch of people for a lump of metal that always fails, and pursues this obsession to the point that people call it his dream, but no motivation is ever given, and there isn't even any reason to believe the Apsalus should inspire the confidence in him, let alone his troops, that it does.

And this is why I hate Mobile Armors. Because they're always this exact same plot line, each and every time. The 08th MS Teams starts off as a good story about Gundam Viet Nam and has mobile suits fighting each other in guerrilla warfare and stuff, and ends up Romeo and Juliet slapped on the back of a Mobile Armor plot. It is my opinion that the change in directors lead to a considerable shift in tone and quality. Not quality of animation, mind you, but of plot.

If you haven't ever seen the 08th MS Team, though, I still highly recommend it. The first half is like all them war stories your daddy used to tell you, and even the second half is some gorgeous 2D mecha animation. You may find yourself much more receptive to the romance between Shiro and Aina than I was, in the which case you may find Shiro's behavior more commendable, and his lines more emotional than I did. By no means is the 08th MS Team a bad Gundam show. I just don't think it is quite up to snuff with the best of the best of the series. It is a very middle of the road experience which means that if you are less picky about what you watch than I am, you may well enjoy this show a great deal. So please, do yourself a favor and watch the 08th MS Team.

I drive to work, and I enjoy playing games on my big TV in the den. The small screen just kills me. And I do own a PSP and DS, but rarely every play them.

Aizo

Banned
The Japanese mailman has not screwed me over for once! This is the first time I've had an order that didn't require a signature, so it was just in my box. Shin Gundam Musou!!!!!!!!
Beargguy has been downloaded since I got a first print!
Edit: This game is vastly improved. It also looks better on the Vita than I expected. I'm having a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom