• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Japanese mailman has not screwed me over for once! This is the first time I've had an order that didn't require a signature, so it was just in my box. Shin Gundam Musou!!!!!!!!
Beargguy has been downloaded since I got a first print!
Edit: This game is vastly improved. It also looks better on the Vita than I expected. I'm having a blast.

Whats the mission structure like?

Aizo

Banned
Whats the mission structure like?

Th official mode is much better, but I'm a bit on the fence about the structure for Ultimate Mode right now. There are a bunch of different stories, and you choose the missions on an expanding flowchart-like menu. Sometimes, there are two missions in one column of which you can only choose one. I'm not sure what the point of all that is... I've hardly unlocked any characters through Ultimate Mode, so that's a bit confusing, too.
It also looks like I can't just pay a mechanic to improve the parts anymore, so it may be completely based on finding good stuff. I like some of the changes a lot, and the others are a bit questionable so far...

Th official mode is much better, but I'm a bit on the fence about the structure for Ultimate Mode right now. There are a bunch of different stories, and you choose the missions on an expanding flowchart-like menu. Sometimes, there are two missions in one column of which you can only choose one. I'm not sure what the point of all that is... I've hardly unlocked any characters through Ultimate Mode, so that's a bit confusing, too.
It also looks like I can't just pay a mechanic to improve the parts anymore, so it may be completely based on finding good stuff. I like some of the changes a lot, and the others are a bit questionable so far...

I hope some of the suits got rebuffed. I know they pretty much neutered Turn A and Nu. Nu's charge 6 use to do multiple attacks when it deployed the shield at the end, and Turn A's musou attack was a lot more powerful. It felt like the Sazabi's musou attack got nerfed as well. It was a much better crowd clearer in 2.

I heard that you also switch characters mid mission in some official stories. I thought that was a pretty neat idea, provided of course that the mechs they make you switch to don't suck (like the Mk.II). I know it takes place a few times during the SEED storyline and Zeta.

Is the official mode at least comparable to 2? I know it took a huge hit in 3. Half the offcial Zeta missions dissapeared when they took away most of the space battles.

Is the ultimate story mode anymore cheesier then the rest? I want just the mission structure to be at least a little more interesting then 3. Most of the sub missions in 3 really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things lol

Aizo

Banned
I hope some of the suits got rebuffed. I know they pretty much neutered Turn A and Nu. Nu's charge 6 use to do multiple attacks when it deployed the shield at the end, and Turn A's musou attack was a lot more powerful. It felt like the Sazabi's musou attack got nerfed as well. It was a much better crowd clearer in 2.

I heard that you also switch characters mid mission in some official stories. I thought that was a pretty neat idea, provided of course that the mechs they make you switch to don't suck (like the Mk.II). I know it takes place a few times during the SEED storyline and Zeta.

Is the official mode at least comparable to 2? I know it took a huge hit in 3. Half the offcial Zeta missions dissapeared when they took away most of the space battles.

Is the ultimate story mode anymore cheesier then the rest? I want just the mission structure to be at least a little more interesting then 3. Most of the sub missions in 3 really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things lol
Turn A seems pretty good in this one. I haven't seen its partner musou, though. In three, that nuke was so OP.
The official story modes are probably at their very best in this iteration. The utlimate mode, on the other hand, is up for debate. It's a bunch of smaller stories with shoehorned interactions with the other characters. It may be less cheesy, but it's not that interesting. Some of the interactions between certain characters, however, are bound to be amusing to Gundam fans. I found myself skipping scenes lately because there are just too many in the ultimate mode.

PhiLonius

Gundam Wing 1 - 49 and Endless Waltz

Finished this rewatch last night. A few notes:

- I think I said this before but there really isn't a single bad design throughout this whole series. Everything ranges from good to awesome, Gundams to grunts, and EW really stepped it up with all the redesigns.
- Heero picking up Wing Zero in space will never not be a cool moment.
- There is no point to Dorothy. You could take her out of the show and it wouldn't even matter.
- Canns wears leggings.
- Treize is one suave badass.
- Mariemeia is pretty much a not-as-useless Z/ZZ
fake-
Mineva Zabi.
- Bringing up protag body counts again, I would think Quattre
blowing up a colony
puts him up near the top of the list.

CorvoSol

- I think I said this before but there really isn't a single bad design throughout this whole series. Everything ranges from good to awesome, Gundams to grunts, and EW really stepped it up with all the redesigns.
- There is no point to Dorothy. You could take her out of the show and it wouldn't even matter.
- Canns wears leggings.
fake-
Mineva Zabi.
blowing up a colony

I wasn't a huge fan of the Serpentarius design, since the Virgo is pretty much the apex of grunt design, but the other mechs were amazing. The problem I have with Endless Waltz is that it sucks that Wu Fei is the final boss (unless you count a goddamn wall), and that nobody learned shit at the end of the film.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

- Canns wears leggings.
fake-
Mineva Zabi.
blowing up a colony

I still can't believe they
blew up their gundams at the end considering THEY JUST went through a scenario where not having the gundams would have been disastrous. Nevermind that according to the sidestories, there's like fifty other gundams floating around somewhere including no less than 7 other pseudo-Wing Zeroes

Beth Cyra

- Canns wears leggings.
fake-
Mineva Zabi.
blowing up a colony

Trieze is amazing. The mother takes Rose baths while ordering hits. Easily the best character in Wing.

Also I'm in on the Virgo love, Virgo 1 is easily my favorite grunt from any Gundam.

PhiLonius

blew up their gundams at the end considering THEY JUST went through a scenario where not having the gundams would have been disastrous. Nevermind that according to the sidestories, there's like fifty other gundams floating around somewhere including no less than 7 other pseudo-Wing Zeroes

Would have been smarter to just give them to Quattre and have him hide them or something. The original plan was just overkill.

Trieze is amazing. The mother takes Rose baths while ordering hits. Easily the best character in Wing.

Also I'm in on the Virgo love, Virgo 1 is easily my favorite grunt from any Gundam.

While under house arrest, he had a secret elevator that went down to a secret library that contained a secret switch that opened a door to the Gundam he was secretly building.

CorvoSol

Like I said, that nobody learns anything during that movie is the single worst part of it. If you just skip that last scene at the end of the movie it becomes way better. That scene raises the question of "Why didn't they just do this instead of their risky and elaborate plan from the beginning of the movie?" too.

Virgo 1 is great because of its color scheme, but I love the little engine things on the back of the Virgo 2. I just hate that there's no good way to get your hands on a 1/144 Virgo these days.

Speaking of Gundam related stuff, does anybody know if there are plans to localize Gundam Breaker and Shin Gundam Musou into English or not?

Aizo

Banned
I'm pretty sure plans have not been announced yet, Corvo. Shin Gundam Musou will likely be announced as Dynasty Warriors Gundam 4 within the coming weeks, I would think. I kinda doubt Gundam Breaker being announced.

matmanx1

Got an unexpected surprise in the mail yesterday when my 1/100 MG God Gundam showed up from AmiAmi. I've yet to do anything to it other than open the box and flip through the instructions but as my first MG kit I'm excited to begin work on it.

I've also gotten surprisingly in to Gundam Seed: Battle Destiny on the PS Vita. It shares some gameplay similarities with the Gundam VS. series in the way that the single player is structured and that is a very good thing in my book.

I unlocked my first Strike Pack suit last night (Dagger 105) and proceeded to upgrade it to the point that I was able to thoroughly pummel Red Frame and La Gowe quite easily the first time I encountered them.

"The Best" version of the game is about $30 on Play-Asia and well worth the asking price if you have a Vita. I'm really enjoying it.

CorvoSol

I'm pretty sure plans have not been announced yet, Corvo. Shin Gundam Musou will likely be announced as Dynasty Warriors Gundam 4 within the coming weeks, I would think. I kinda doubt Gundam Breaker being announced.

So it'd be safe to just buy Breaker, then? How much JP do I need to understand to play that?

Aizo

Banned
So it'd be safe to just buy Breaker, then? How much JP do I need to understand to play that?

Probably none! Aren't there always guides for those who are learning/don't know the language? I think just being able to read katakana would help a lot for distinguishing between parts!

I'm gonna try and look for it on koei warriors later, but I'm pretty sure the producer pretty much confirmed that DW: Gundam 4 is coming to NA in a tweet.

Jubern

Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster episode 38

Ahahah Shinn and Luna are so stupid. Oh god my sides. That speech from Luna about how "Logos corrupted Athrun and Meyrin" and everything.

Also, it looks like they've decided not to use the 4th OP from Chemistry and go straight for the vestige one used in Final Plus. 4th wasn't very good, but I always thought the Final Plus OP was horse shit that represented the bad side of the series pretty well.

Also the flow of the battle is so, so bad. Logos is utterly destroying them and the simple inclusion in battle of Destiny, Legend and fucking Impulse turns the table completely, against an army of Destroys and those stupid-looking (but efficient) bugs?

Also the flow of the battle is so, so bad. Logos is utterly destroying them and the simple inclusion in battle of Destiny, Legend and fucking Impulse turns the table completely, against an army of Destroys and those stupid-looking (but efficient) bugs?

Dat plot armor. It's best just to nod your head and say yes. No point in trying to make sense of what can be summed up as children's logic on steroids. Too much trying to make sense of Destiny can cause brain aneurysms.

Jubern

Dat plot armor. It's best just to nod your head and say yes. No point in trying to make sense of what can be summed up as children's logic on steroids. Too much trying to make sense of Destiny can cause brain aneurysms.

As you may or may not remember, I've been watching the Remaster broadcast week after week since it started back in April, so it's probably too late for me. I'm back in 2005.

KiraFA37

Just enjoy Destiny for the pretty mobile su... lights! Yes, lights! Also the OPs are pretty good, Pride is one of my favourite songs.

Wubby

I saw the new decal sheet for the 3.0 MG Rx-78 at the store and decided to pick it up. Looked like there were a few different things on it compared to the sheet that came with my Premium Bandai 3.0 custom set. But ugh after looking at it closer compared to the Premium Bandai sheet the dark gray parts are all spotty and not crisp like the Premium Bandai one.

Premium Bandai left, Gundam Decal right.

CorvoSol

Just enjoy Destiny for the pretty mobile su... lights! Yes, lights! Also the OPs are pretty good, Pride is one of my favourite songs.

Hey I think the MS designs in Destiny are just fine. I might be undecided on the gold elements in the Strike Freedom, but the Wings of light are rad.

Hey I think the MS designs in Destiny are just fine. I might be undecided on the gold elements in the Strike Freedom, but the Wings of light are rad.

The gold elements in the anime are awful. It's almost a mustard yellow color and it just comes off as bad. The MG Strike Freedom looks okay-it's a touch on the gaudy side though.

KiraFA37

I agree on the side of the EA and Orb (exclude MA and Akatsuki/Strike Freedom) but while typing my original response I went over the ZAFT suits and realized they let me pretty down. ZAFT had good designs in SEED with the Ginn and Guaiz? as grunts but I didn't fancy the thousands of Zaku and Goufs redesigns. They are just bit to copy-paste of the originals instead of a re-imagining. On the other hand in this image it looks awesome:
8dyfdRY.jpg

I will give the show credit for having some great battles and introducing me to the Dom design which I love.

Guys, Gundam Breaker is stupid expensive for Vita. Why?

It's a premium brand, and a popular game which usually means a premium price. It happens to some Vita titles in Japan see: Shin Gundam Musou, God Eater etc.

You can get it from PlayAsia for 61 bux at the moment-not including price of shipping :x

I agree on the side of the EA and Orb (exclude MA and Akatsuki/Strike Freedom) but while typing my original response I went over the ZAFT suits and realized they let me pretty down. ZAFT had good designs in SEED with the Ginn and Guaiz? as grunts but I didn't fancy the thousands of Zaku and Goufs redesigns. They are just bit to copy-paste of the originals instead of a re-imagining. On the other hand in this image it looks awesome:
8dyfdRY.jpg

I will give the show credit for having some great battles and introducing me to the Dom design which I love.

While thats a nice picture of SEED Zaku I still think the best version of the Zaku is the Hi-Zack:

418HVYG0M3L.jpg

CorvoSol

It's a premium brand, and a popular game which usually means a premium price. It happens to some Vita titles in Japan see: Shin Gundam Musou, God Eater etc.

You can get it from PlayAsia for 61 bux at the moment-not including price of shipping :x

Yeah shipping is what's really murdering the price. I can get it for about 60-70 for reasonable shipping off Amazon and then not see it for months anyway, or pay up and maybe see it before I leave in January.

matmanx1

Yeah shipping is what's really murdering the price. I can get it for about 60-70 for reasonable shipping off Amazon and then not see it for months anyway, or pay up and maybe see it before I leave in January.

I generally go for FedEx from Play-Asia. It gets to my door in 2 days from Hong Kong and generally costs $14 or less for a video game. Yeah it's another $14 but in terms of speed of delivery per dollar it absolutely cannot be beat.

CorvoSol

I generally go for FedEx from Play-Asia. It gets to my door in 2 days from Hong Kong and generally costs $14 or less for a video game. Yeah it's another $14 but in terms of speed of delivery per dollar it absolutely cannot be beat.

Well it's too late now, I guess. I bought mine and paid to have it ship from Japan, but it'll apparently take until goddamn the end of next month to get here. I don't know why since they charged 15 bucks on shipping (in fairness, the product was also a good 15 bucks cheaper somehow). If by some miracle it gets here before the end of the first week in January I'll be amazed, but as it is I don't expect to get to play Breaker now until February.

CorvoSol

Other questions about Gundam Breaker:

-How many mechs can I construct at once? As in if I have one design I'm building can I set aside space to build another or am I limited to only having the one mech on the cart?

-Are their mook parts for grabs, too, or just Gundams?

-Does this dang game have an OT?

Other questions about Gundam Breaker:

-How many mechs can I construct at once? As in if I have one design I'm building can I set aside space to build another or am I limited to only having the one mech on the cart?

-Are their mook parts for grabs, too, or just Gundams?

-Does this dang game have an OT?

- There are 5 tabs with 5 slots each, so you can have up to 25 individual suits saved at a time.

- Yes, you can get mook parts too.

- It has an unofficial OT, yes.

Ezalc

So I have a few friends visiting Japan right now. Somebody tell me something cool that isn't too expensive that I could ask them to bring back that is gundam related. I was thinking one of those gundam mugs that Donkey showed off earlier. I was going to ask for Full Boost but they'll only be there until the 10th :/

Aizo

Banned
So I have a few friends visiting Japan right now. Somebody tell me something cool that isn't too expensive that I could ask them to bring back that is gundam related. I was thinking one of those gundam mugs that Donkey showed off earlier. I was going to ask for Full Boost but they'll only be there until the 10th :/

Something from the Gundam Cafe in Akihabara?
Or something from a capsule machine?

Shouta

Gundam 00 - 1-50 & A Wakening of the Trailblazer

I only watched a few eps of it when it was airing but got the plot in SRWZ2. The anime was really good, honestly. I think it could've cut down a bit on some of the character/relationship angst, especially in S2, or at least focus it better, but I was generally impressed. The big set piece events in the show and the tactics displayed in combat really helped balance it out. The Innovators didn't get as much time though and they ended up being way more generic than they should've been, though that element is partially deliberate, I guess.

The movie was serious eye candy but that plot was pretty cheesy. I like the concept but using ELS as a villain was really just a nice way of ending the film without doing anything hard. I did like that most of the cast got screen time, especially Graham and Andrei getting something fitting for their characters.

Enron

Banned
Chinner - what is causing all of the orangepeel going on there? Not trying to belittle your painting skills or anything, but that looks really strange for handpainting. I've only handpainted one HG kit way back in college, but I didn't get the peel. Maybe the top coat application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom