• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
'orangepeel'? come again brah?

Its the sort of thick uneven texture that your photo seems to show, especially on the inner shoulders and the l/r chest areas. It's called "orange peeling" because it sometimes resembles the surface of an orange.

Chinner

Banned
yeah i was wondering that too. it wasn't like that before i topcoated it, so it was either the topcoat or how i applied it. the right hand side of the chest is fine, but it's definitely going on there on the left hand side a little. was considering to do another coating sometime to see if it would fix it, at worst i'll have to repaint and recoat.

on the right shoulder when i applied the top coat some of the paint started to melt - this happened on the white blade where you can even see the line, and on the inner red one, which actually started to smudge and i had to repaint it. i had let the paint dry for 24 hours beforehand but i'm not sure what else could be doing it.

this didnt happen on my last model so i'm a little confused too.

Enron

Banned
yeah i was wondering that too. it wasn't like that before i topcoated it, so it was either the topcoat or how i applied it. was considering to do another coating sometime to see if it would fix it.

on the right shoulder when i applied the top coat some of the paint started to melt - this happened on the white blade where you can even see the line, and on the inner red one, which actually started to smudge and i had to repaint it. i had let the paint dry for 24 hours beforehand but i'm not sure what else could be doing it.

You might want to check if your topcoat is compatible with whatever type of paint you used. I rarely used clearcoat and when i did it was from the same line as my paints were.

Not sure if a 24 hour curing period is sufficient if you are using enamels. Enamels usually require up to 3 days for a full cure. That might be your problem.

Could be that whatever paint you are using needs to be thinned before handbrushing. I know Tamiya in particular needs to be thinned. ModelMaster (what i use) is generally OK out of the bottle. Not sure about Gunze Sangyo (Mr. Color) or Citadel.

Chinner

Banned
i dunno, my last model doesn't suffer from it and most guides ive used suggest a day. although 3 days is probably the proper time. i'm using the same tiype of paint as i am the topcoat. i'm looking online an apparently it can happen when you apply it too much or the topcoat is too thick. what temperature you spray on can also have an effect too! probably how ive applied it.

oh well, i'll see what i can do to fix it, otherwise we will have to pretend it is
PYLpjmU.gif
weathered
PYLpjmU.gif

edit; yeah i thin my paint too brah. i also prime! i use tamiya which is usually fine, but its odd as as you say.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've recently started making Gunplas and am having a blast. The fun of building plastic models with my father when I was a kid without the annoying "gluing stuff together" part.
I think the main reason was Build Fighters + having to go to the "Gundam Floor" of my local Yamada Denki every time I was picking my game preorders.

Anyway, I've started with HGs and a tool set and bought my first MG today.
The amount of parts in the MG model is crazy compared to the HG ones.

Chinner

Banned
i think i figured out what happened anyway, i was spraying with an empty can, and it was sputtering everywhere, think that resulted in the orange peel. im blaming the can, but i should have known better.

I finally finished Gundam Seed while I was up North in Scotland for Christmas. mostly because the HD remaster is on YouTube and my parents' TV has a YouTube client.

So what do I think of it?

Well it started out pretty terrible and was a real slog for the first 30 episodes or slow. And then
Nicol gets cut in two by Kira, *real* people start dying and the series gets better. A lot better in fact.

It might be the relative boredom of Edinburgh in Winter, but I really enjoyed the rest. I felt Athrun's emotional journey was really satisfying. I also really liked Dearka's character path (even if I wish that at the end he and Miriallia's relationship had been given more time to grow).

As with 00, I feel that there were some things that needed a bit more exposition.

I felt really bad for Natarle. She didn't really do a whole lot wrong, ended up on the wrong side out of duty more than anything else, and died heroically in a way that no-one in the series will ever know about.

I still feel that with the exception of one or two incidents, ZAFT are the "good guys" and Earth are a bunch of space Nazis.

But hey.

I tried to start watching Gundam Seed Destiny. Oh god the first five episodes of that are terrible. Not sure if I have the fortitude to continue!

Oh, and for Christmas my partner got me HG Verde Buster, HGUC Gyan and the SD Knight Gundam. Much building shall there be!

CorvoSol

SEED Destiny has some great mechs and is only the 4th worst Gundam show. Watch it.
SEED Destiny > Stardust Memory > AGE = Victory > 00 S2 + Movie

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I would watch 00 S2 and trailblazer a hundred times before I watched AGE, Destiny or Victory again

CorvoSol

The best I can tell you is that I would watch 00 S1 again before I ever set foot in AGE or Victory.

Of course I kind of like Destiny, even though I know it whomps, so there's that.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
SEED Destiny is one of the greatest things mankind has created

Don't listen to Corvo. He's a nub. Listen to me. I've seen it. I'VE SEEN IT ALL. I'm trying to help you!

Stop lying. You never watched Age (≖‿≖ )

I also watched five or six episodes of AGE. I'm enjoying it rather more than Destiny, possibly because I'm a big sucker for kid-targeted shows (I'm a big Transformers fan after all).

I really want to watch Turn A since the concept looks awesome (as I'm also really keen on early 20th century tech) but since there's never (as far as I can tell) been an official English subtitled release I will have to resort to the shady world of fansubs if I want to watch it. I'll just have to buy extra Gunpla to make up for it if I do.

CorvoSol

AGE is a great show if you are into Nazi propaganda, genocide, pedophilia, shitty mechanical designs or being forced at gunpoint to suck the author avatar's dick.

Otherwise it is likely objectively the worst Gundam series ever made. At least the lady working on Destiny can claim cancer as an excuse. What does Hino have? AGE is so bad it put me off the vast majority of Level 5 products for basically ever.

I still feel that with the exception of one or two incidents, ZAFT are the "good guys" and Earth are a bunch of space Nazis.
Nah everyone is a moustache twirling braindead villain. That's why the main characters break off and form a third side. Gundam SEED is too much of a pile of shit for something like nuance, intelligent characters, and good plot.
SEED Destiny is one of the greatest things mankind has created
It is a monument to our mistakes and failures.

KiraFA37

I think I'll never watch AGE. Normally every series has it redeeming quality somewhere. In AGE I don't see it, its terrible reputation together with the fact that I don't fancy any of the MS design seals the deal for me. And I already read enough of all the backstory on the Gundam wiki and most episode summaries to know it doesn't make any sense.

All this Destiny talk...

That picture will never AGE.

Beth Cyra

The bottom line is that AGE has the worst MS designs in the entire series.
Lies and slander.

G Bouncer and Age 3 Normal put it far, far above Victory and G.

Speaking of which, Bandai it was totally cool to cancel MG Gafran, but give me the god damn AGE 3 Normal. I bought the shitty AGE 1 and 2 so I earned that damn thing.

CorvoSol

Lies and slander.

G Bouncer and Age 3 Normal put it far, far above Victory and G.

Speaking of which, Bandai it was totally cool to cancel MG Gafran, but give me the god damn AGE 3 Normal. I bought the shitty AGE 1 and 2 so I earned that damn thing.

G Gundam has incredible suit designs and to say that anything from AGE could be better than something from G is blasphemy.

Speaking of good designs from shows that aren't shit like AGE, my HG 1/144 Wing Gundam Zero Custom Special kit arrived today!! No paint required.

Beth Cyra

G Gundam has incredible suit designs and to say that anything from AGE could be better than something from G is blasphemy.

Speaking of good designs from shows that aren't shit like AGE, my HG 1/144 Wing Gundam Zero Custom Special kit arrived today!! No paint required.
Eeeew the clear red on top of his feet drive me mad.

As with our resident G fanatic I will disagree on G. Only Shining and Sailor Venus are good. Venus they don't get credit for and Shining looks like trash in it's Super Mode.

OnTheLam

Neo Member
Looking to get back in Gunpla, anyone have any experience with the RG line of models? I like that they have an articulated skeleton but not sure if the quality on them is good or not. Thanks!

Enron

Banned
Looking to get back in Gunpla, anyone have any experience with the RG line of models? I like that they have an articulated skeleton but not sure if the quality on them is good or not. Thanks!

Very small pieces. Having nightmares about having to paint this RG Zaku.

OnTheLam

Neo Member
Very small pieces. Having nightmares about having to paint this RG Zaku.

Ah ok good to know. Well I'll probably pick one up in Akihabara day after tomorrow just for fun. Is there a shop that is better than others for Gunpla there? I've only been a couple times to Akihabara and still haven't seen all of it.

Beth Cyra

They can be good. I however disagree with those who say they stack up well against MGs.

Give one a shot, just avoid Zeta. Its trash because it just tries to much and can't handle it.

Ezalc

Don't bother arguing with True Prime in regards to anything G related. He shuns the enlightenment provided by the School of the Undefeated of the East.

Wubby

All this talk about Seed Destiny reminds me I have an odd pink Zaku (live concert? wth?) in the stash waiting to be built. Never watched Seed or any of its variants but had to buy the really pink Zaku.

Ah ok good to know. Well I'll probably pick one up in Akihabara day after tomorrow just for fun. Is there a shop that is better than others for Gunpla there? I've only been a couple times to Akihabara and still haven't seen all of it.

I would imagine Yodobashi Camera would have the cheapest price for Gunpla in the area. Though I can't say I've actually looked at the prices on Gundam kits at Volks and the like.

mingus

I've recently started making Gunplas and am having a blast. The fun of building plastic models with my father when I was a kid without the annoying "gluing stuff together" part.
I think the main reason was Build Fighters + having to go to the "Gundam Floor" of my local Yamada Denki every time I was picking my game preorders.

Anyway, I've started with HGs and a tool set and bought my first MG today.

The amount of parts in the MG model is crazy compared to the HG ones.

a fellow astray fan!

CorvoSol

So I put together my Wing Gundam Zero Custom Special today. On the side of positives it looks great, and it only took me about 2-3 hours to do because I didn't have to paint or glue it!

Now let's move on to the negatives.

1. It broke. Before I had finished putting it together. Twice. There is a part of the back meant to hold up the inferior wings, and the left side just plain broke. Not to the point where I couldn't put the wing on anyway, but it was still distressing, as was the fact that the gun busted. Again, not irreparable, but distressing.

2. The clear makes the parts where I severed it from the sheets more obvious.

3. The little sticker for the goatee is a demon.

4. Coulda used a stand to keep it from falling backward.

That said I'm still pretty satisfied with my first gunpla in over a decade and will post pictures later.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I know that Breaker is old news (I've been playing the PS3 ver. for around 2 months myself), but I've found this really great list of all the gunpla in the game.
What makes it interesting is that it has the photos of boxes/actual gunplas.
http://gb-wiki.net/mobil/list

Glue me if old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom