• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Because CCA is Amuro and Char, it wraps everything up. ZZ isn't as well thought of by the average Japanese person familiar with Gundam.

Sure, CCA "wraps up" the Char/Amuro, storyline. The biggest problem, though, is that it does a piss-poor job of it. Char's character transition from the semi-good guy at the end of Zeta to the full on crazy evil dictator of CCA makes very little sense. It would make a little more sense coming straight out of 0079, but even then it feels out of place. They desperately need some pice of storyline covering Char's life between the end of Zeta and the beginning of CCA to fill in that character gap. That huge leap in character really harms the sense of Char and Amuro rivalry I get from that film.

It is beautifully animated, though.

CorvoSol

Because you're a dirty dirty gaijin.

But but but

Sure, CCA "wraps up" the Char/Amuro, storyline. The biggest problem, though, is that it does a piss-poor job of it. Char's character transition from the semi-good guy at the end of Zeta to the full on crazy evil dictator of CCA makes very little sense. It would make a little more sense coming straight out of 0079, but even then it feels out of place. They desperately need some pice of storyline covering Char's life between the end of Zeta and the beginning of CCA to fill in that character gap. That huge leap in character really harms the sense of Char and Amuro rivalry I get from that film.

It is beautifully animated, though.

Yeah, what i don't get is why CCA isn't hated for butchering Char's character. Revenge of the Sith is blasted for it frequently. The two movies sorta share the same ups and downs.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam stuff isn't made with us mind. We're just crazy foreign fans who happen to like it. We are bonus money. Once you learn to accept the way things are and just buy Gundam stuff, everything will be alright.

Oh, of course. I just meant that I feel like a dirty, dirty gaijin in my every day life (not in relation to Gundam).

Speaking of getting Gundam stuff here, about how long should I expect to wait for Shin Gundam Musou to get localized?

Probably next Summer, if it comes at all. GM2 and GM3 both released in December in Japan, and then during the following summer in NA/EU. I'm not sure if Bandai is interested in pushing out a Gundam game this late into the PS3's life cycle. And probably digital only if anything.

Probably next Summer, if it comes at all. GM2 and GM3 both released in December in Japan, and then during the following summer in NA/EU. I'm not sure if Bandai is interested in pushing out a Gundam game this late into the PS3's life cycle. And probably digital only if anything.

As long as we get Japanese voice I am happy. Would prefer the disk version though.

CorvoSol

Awww, man. So there's like, 0 chance of Shin Musou coming out in English on physical for the Vita, then?

As long as we get J̶a̶p̶a̶n̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶v̶o̶i̶c̶e̶ the Japanese Soundtrack I am happy. Would prefer the disk version though.

FTFY

Seriously, bangin out endless waves of enemies sounds so much better with official Gundam tracks from their prospective series.

Jubern

A friend with too much money on his hands bought and sent to my adress Shin Gundam Musou on Vita, telling me to hold on it until he comes to Japan in April lol

Hurray for me!

Reknoc

I may import the Vita version. Feeling pretty optimistic that the PS3 version will come out over here and probably have a physical edition.

I'm importing the Vita version.

I know zero Japanese, but in the past it's not been a problem. I have a pile of imported PSP games for things that just never came out in the EU (e.g. Initial D) and in my experience you get to learn the "shapes" of what the buttons are mapped to function, even if you can't read the words. If that makes sense.

I built my HGUC Gyan last week. I'm so in love with that suit thanks to GBF it's not even funny.

Aizo

Banned
A friend with too much money on his hands bought and sent to my adress Shin Gundam Musou on Vita, telling me to hold on it until he comes to Japan in April lol

Hurray for me!

Sounds like we're gonna blow up some robits together, Jubern.

I want some Gundam on the Vita and I'm not sure we'll even see a localized version in NA.

Can anyone discuss how English friendly Shin Gundam Musou is? I really am considering importing it for Vita but I've never imported a thing before so I've got no experience in trying to understand or navigate a Japanese game.

I may import the Vita version. Feeling pretty optimistic that the PS3 version will come out over here and probably have a physical edition.

Someone who works for Koei said it would be coming. I just can't imaging them making an English dub for it, which probably makes it a digital-only release.

MechaX

STERRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

As much as Kira still kinda sucks in the last 1/4th of the series, Shinn is absolutely hilarious. It's like he could have gone done a completely different path had he been around one or two people with some common sense, rather than Rey being like "Shinn, don't listen to anything bad about the Chairman including our shady, questionable orders!" and Athrun on the other end being like "ZAFT will destroy the future, somehow!! I don't know how, but I know they will!" It's almost as if Rey is Durandal's biggest fan girl, and Athrun read so far ahead in the story script, but respected Shinn's right to not be story spoiled so he has to be as vague as possible.

It's almost like this happened in Super Robot Wars Z!

CorvoSol

Someone who works for Koei said it would be coming. I just can't imaging them making an English dub for it, which probably makes it a digital-only release.

Doesn't need a dub. Just gimme a physical copy with English text for my vitaaaaaaaa.

Pipe dream pipe dream pipe dream.

As much as Kira still kinda sucks in the last 1/4th of the series, Shinn is absolutely hilarious. It's like he could have gone done a completely different path had he been around one or two people with some common sense, rather than Rey being like "Shinn, don't listen to anything bad about the Chairman including our shady, questionable orders!" and Athrun on the other end being like "ZAFT will destroy the future, somehow!! I don't know how, but I know they will!" It's almost as if Rey is Durandal's biggest fan girl, and Athrun read so far ahead in the story script, but respected Shinn's right to not be story spoiled so he has to be as vague as possible.

It's almost like this happened in Super Robot Wars Z!

If Athrun had been the main character of SEED and Destiny they would have been better shows.

Reknoc

Well dub or not doesn't ruin the chances of physical over here thankfully :smug:

Would still like a dub though, fact: the best thing about the Gundam Warriors games is "Kamilles a man's name AND I'M A MAN!"

If Athrun had been the main character of SEED and Destiny they would have been better shows.

Got to be joking , Athrun went stupid in Destiny his character made no sense after what happen in SEED at least Kira was thinking.
chairman has a fake Lacus while the real one almost got kill , running back to ZAFT , trying to destroy the country that stop first war etc etc.
You would think he knows something is wrong after the first few eps without getting chop up by Kira
Truth is the more i re watch old gundam TV series form UC the less i can stand them .
Would buy more gundam stuff if it was not so expensive to get them where i live .

CorvoSol

Got to be joking , Athrun went stupid in Destiny his character made no sense after what happen in SEED at least Kira was thinking.
chairman has a fake Lacus while the real one almost got kill , running back to ZAFT , trying to destroy the country that stop first war etc etc.
You would think he knows something is wrong after the first few eps without getting chop up by Kira
Would buy more gundam stuff if it was not so expensive to get them where i live .

I'll give you the fake Lacus being a pretty big red flag, but no way was Kira being smarter than Athrun in Destiny. At one point Athrun argues Kira into a corner and Kira's only come back is "Hey that girl who isn't going to be your girlfriend in another 20 episodes anyway is crying. That justifies stuff and things." Kira's plan to end war? Blow the shit out of both sides. Lacus was brilliant, manipulating him and everyone to allow herself to conquer the world, but Kira was just her dumbass brute.

And it isn't like Athrun wasn't suspicious of Durandal.

I'll give you the fake Lacus being a pretty big red flag, but no way was Kira being smarter than Athrun in Destiny. At one point Athrun argues Kira into a corner and Kira's only come back is "Hey that girl who isn't going to be your girlfriend in another 20 episodes anyway is crying. That justifies stuff and things."

And it isn't like Athrun wasn't suspicious of Durandal.

You mean the same girl that took him in after ZAFT try to kill him in SEED , the same girl he could not help cause he was useless in politics .
The same girl who country stop the first war and then had to do it again , you also forget that was Kira sister and that was reason enough to help her .
After just saving her from a force marriage where once again Athrun was useless and watching him kill her country men where he now come from living .

Destiny sucks but Athrun is a huge part of that among other things and i never said Kira was smarter .

EDIT see you add another line in Kira never care about the war until someone try to kill his woman so he never had any plan to end it .
And like you said he was never the plan maker that was always Lacus from since SEED he just carry out orders while being in hax mode .
Damn i waste to much words on that crap show lol .

CorvoSol

You mean the same girl that took him in after ZAFT try to kill him in SEED , the same girl he could not help cause he was useless in politics .
The same girl who country stop the first war and then had to do it again , you also forget that was Kira sister and that was reason enough to help her .
After just saving her from a force marriage where once again Athrun was useless and watching him kill her country men where he now come from living .

Destiny sucks but Athrun is a huge part of that among other things and i never said Kira was smarter .

EDIT see you add another line in Kira never care about the war until someone try to kill his woman so he never had any plan to end it .
And like you said he was never the plan maker that was always Lacus from since SEED he just carry out orders while being in hax mode .
Damn i waste to much words on that crap show lol .

You're kinda confusing me here, pal. I mean you did open this line of discussion by saying that "At least Kira thinks" and now you're saying Kira isn't smarter than Athrun and he doesn't do any planning?

I mean yeah, Cagalli being Kira's sister is great motive for Kira to help her. But Athrun had other things he kind of had to take care of, and unless I'm mistaken, Cagalli was okay with him going off and rejoining the ZAFT. It's not like Athrun's entire existence should be dedicated to her, especially not when she had a country to run and no real need for him because, unlike say, Lacus, Cagalli actually had an army.

But the point is that Kira literally warps reality in that argument. "Cagalli's crying" isn't a legitimate reason for Athrun to do shit. Because unlike Kira, Athrun doesn't have his head in a fantasy land made of magical gumdrops and unicorn rainbows. At the time Meer was the only thing Athrun had to leave him suspicious of Durandal, and staying on Durandal's good side was the best way to find out more. You're sort of glossing over how the fight wasn't between ORB and ZAFT but ZAFT and the UEFA. ORB was only caught up in it because unlike her dad, Cagalli didn't have the stones to do shit. As evidenced by how she stood their and listened to Shinn blame the deaths of the people in ORB during the previous conflict on her and her dad like he had a point.

So, to recap: Cagalli in Destiny fucking sucks, Athrun is the smartest person not named Lacus in the show, he was in the right for choosing to keep an eye on the fishy ZAFT while putting down the blatantly evil UEFA, Kira is a doofus dreamer who is little better than a dog on Lacus' very short leash and if Athrun had been the MC of SEED and Destiny they would have been infinitely better shows.

So, to recap: Cagalli in Destiny fucking sucks, Athrun is the smartest person not named Lacus in the show, he was in the right for choosing to keep an eye on the fishy ZAFT while putting down the blatantly evil UEFA, Kira is a doofus dreamer who is little better than a dog on Lacus' very short leash and if Athrun had been the MC of SEED and Destiny they would have been infinitely better shows.

So much truth here. Athrun had far and away more potential to be a better MC then Kira if only for the simple fact that he actually used critical thought in his decision processes. It's a shame that was all drowned out by the childs logic that makes up Destiny, and to a lesser extent SEED.

Kira is a hard protagonist to get behind when he's basically a walking shounen super hero archetype.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
These DVDs burn with an awesome POWER!!!

A couple of years ago, I bought the first half of my favorite series at an anime convention (Haven't opened it since). Since then, I had trouble getting the second half due to its rising price.

But a week ago, I found and ordered the second half on Amazon at a significant price drop (used, of course, but there were also some new-labeled copies as well).

Now I have the whole thing.

1272393_o.gif

So take this.
My love!
My anger!
And ALL OF MY NOSTALGIA!!!

I have both the collections and the individual dvd releases and paid about 30 bucks total for them.

I don't even buy anime anymore but when someone eventually picks up the US distro rights for Gundam and then eventually releases G Gundam remastered I'm buying it at almost any price*.

*Unless Sentai gets it and charges 700 bucks.

You're kinda confusing me here, pal. I mean you did open this line of discussion by saying that "At least Kira thinks" and now you're saying Kira isn't smarter than Athrun and he doesn't do any planning?

I mean yeah, Cagalli being Kira's sister is great motive for Kira to help her. But Athrun had other things he kind of had to take care of, and unless I'm mistaken, Cagalli was okay with him going off and rejoining the ZAFT. It's not like Athrun's entire existence should be dedicated to her, especially not when she had a country to run and no real need for him because, unlike say, Lacus, Cagalli actually had an army.

But the point is that Kira literally warps reality in that argument. "Cagalli's crying" isn't a legitimate reason for Athrun to do shit. Because unlike Kira, Athrun doesn't have his head in a fantasy land made of magical gumdrops and unicorn rainbows. At the time Meer was the only thing Athrun had to leave him suspicious of Durandal, and staying on Durandal's good side was the best way to find out more. You're sort of glossing over how the fight wasn't between ORB and ZAFT but ZAFT and the UEFA. ORB was only caught up in it because unlike her dad, Cagalli didn't have the stones to do shit. As evidenced by how she stood their and listened to Shinn blame the deaths of the people in ORB during the previous conflict on her and her dad like he had a point.

Truth is that was the wrong line i use , i should have said Kira (well Lacus since she the boss) was right to stay the hell out if it until things were clearer .
Also i really don't see a problem with Kira following Lacus or protecting his woman\friends .
Calling him a doofus dreamer when he\ his group ended both wars ? your no longer a dreamer when you get shit done .
As for being a dog most people are one in some way or the other .

Your also saying that Athrun choose to keep his eyes of ZAFT which is wrong he join them because he naively thought they change and he could make a difference he was wrong .
Your saying he stuck with Durandal after finding out about fake Lacus and the assassination attempt to get more intel and he had no way to get that intel out to Kira \Lacus or even Yzak\ Dearka .
Athrun would have been smart if he went to Kira \ Laucs \ Yzak \ Dearka before joining ZAFT again and made a plans or made certain arrangements .
What he did was have his head in a fantasy land made of magical gumdrops and unicorn rainbows and think everything would naively work out without the people that ended the first war who he is supposedly friends with.
Thinking for your self is not the same as being smart especially if you have access to people who are better at certain things which he end up having to do (getting a Gundam and having to obey Lacus\ORB orders again .)

Which goes back to another problem with Destiny is they had no idea who there MC should be .
It was Shin and Athrun at first until they were like we need to get Kira\Lacus involve since they were the most popular characters in SEED along with his Gundam .
Then Kira \Lacus hijack the show with there hax powers lol

So much truth here. Athrun had far and away more potential to be a better MC then Kira if only for the simple fact that he actually used critical thought in his decision processes. It's a shame that was all drowned out by the childs logic that makes up Destiny, and to a lesser extent SEED.

Kira is a hard protagonist to get behind when he's basically a walking shounen super hero archetype.

Well a lot of people like characters like that since it's one of the reason Shonen so popular .

Aizo

Banned
STERRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You have no idea how hard I laughed when she danced off a cliff.
My roommate was sitting with me, and I said, "What is she thinking? Look at this. She's dancing on a cliff with her eyes closed. She's going to hurt her--What! No way. Did she?! She's so crazy! Hahahahahah!"

Just piloting the Gaia made her better than that pink haired female from Gundam Seed whose name I don't even want to repeat anymore.

CorvoSol

You have no idea how hard I laughed when she danced off a cliff.
My roommate was sitting with me, and I said, "What is she thinking? Look at this. She's dancing on a cliff with her eyes closed. She's going to hurt her--What! No way. Did she?! She's so crazy! Hahahahahah!"

Just piloting the Gaia made her better than that pink haired female from Gundam Seed whose name I don't even want to repeat anymore.

Stella is awful all around, and piloting a dog Gundam didn't help her. She only became worse when I realized she was meant to be Four.

CorvoSol

Is that word 'preach'?
For real, though - Woolf's OK, but I think he only stands out because the other characters are so milquetoast or terrible across the board.

Much like Marbet, Woolf is probably a better character who wound up in that shitstorm of a show purely by accident.

Why would they skip ZZ's entire storyline for the second rate mess that is CCA? Laaame. Especially cuz ZZ has some fun fights, like ZZ vs Puru 2 as the colony is falling on the isles.

So... Shin Gundam Musou and the Unicorn storyline with New Translation... Full Frontal mention Marida being Puru 12, and Marida and Banagher have their discussion in the church on Palau and the space wizard nakedness after their fight. That's about it. I'm guessing it will be similar in Z3.

CorvoSol

He reminds me a lot of Sleggar. Kinda surprised he was created out of that shitstorm.

I think he's meant to fill the same Sleggar/Quattro role, yeah. The stuff about being Super Pilot instead of an X-RounderX-RounderX-RounderX-Rounder was probably the high water mark of the show, too.

So... Shin Gundam Musou and the Unicorn storyline with New Translation... Full Frontal mention Marida being Puru 12, and Marida and Banagher have their discussion in the church on Palau and the space wizard nakedness after their fight. That's about it. I'm guessing it will be similar in Z3.

Sucks even more in Z3 since at least in SGM I'll be able to play with the ZZ. What're the odds they give me the ZZ in SRW Z3? I mean, I'm glad I got FMP (and I'd be ecstatic with Sigma) but ZZ gets snubbed like, all the time. Probably because Char and Amuro never even appear in it.

I think he's meant to fill the same Sleggar/Quattro role, yeah. The stuff about being Super Pilot instead of an X-RounderX-RounderX-RounderX-Rounder was probably the high water mark of the show, too.

Sucks even more in Z3 since at least in SGM I'll be able to play with the ZZ. What're the odds they give me the ZZ in SRW Z3? I mean, I'm glad I got FMP (and I'd be ecstatic with Sigma) but ZZ gets snubbed like, all the time. Probably because Char and Amuro never even appear in it.

Litte more backstory, and they're handling it just like I thought they would. Narrator mentions that Marida is a clone developed by Neo Zeon. That's it. No backstory, no ties to ZZ, just that she is Puru 12, a clone created by Neo Zeon. Totally works.

You also don't get to take part in the battle at Torrington Base. WTF. Hopefully FROM Software is doing another Unicorn game that will show off this battle.

CorvoSol

Litte more backstory, and they're handling it just like I thought they would. Narrator mentions that Marida is a clone developed by Neo Zeon. That's it. No backstory, no ties to ZZ, just that she is Puru 12, a clone created by Neo Zeon. Totally works.

You also don't get to take part in the battle at Torrington Base. WTF. Hopefully FROM Software is doing another Unicorn game that will show off this battle.

I feel like half the sympathy for Marida is derived from knowing who Puru is and skipping that out kinda sucks, but whatever. Just gotta accept that Japan hates ZZ for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom