• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I'll never understand your hate for such a decent character.

Which explanation do you want?

1. Allenby is in Rain's way. Any girl who gets in Rain's way has to go take a walk off the pier.

2. Allenby is late to the party, having less development than the rest of the cast but more screen time.

3. She can fucking do a Shining Finger despite never training under Master Asia.

I hate Allenby considerably less than the first time I watched G Gundam. I just don't like her that much.

1. Allenby is in Rain's way. Any girl who gets in Rain's way has to go take a walk off the pier.

2. Allenby is late to the party, having less development than the rest of the cast but more screen time.

3. She can fucking do a Shining Finger despite never training under Master Asia.

I hate Allenby considerably less than the first time I watched G Gundam. I just don't like her that much.

I thought for sure that Rain was supposed to die and Allenby was going to take her place when I watched G Gundam for the first time lol.

PhiLonius

On the the Quess Paraya 1-10 Scale of Annoyance/Hate®, what number would Allenby fall at for you?

CorvoSol

No that's Schwarz. Rain does, however, get the best Mobile Trace scene. Especially in the dub.

Is there a Brazilian dub of G Gundam? I can't imagine that mobile trace scene being more provocative, haha.

Devil Gundam could so take Shadow Gundam in a fight.

Ezalc

Is there a Brazilian dub of G Gundam? I can't imagine that mobile trace scene being more provocative, haha.

Devil Gundam could so take Shadow Gundam in a fight.

I don't know but I feel like that scene should have been dubbed in all languages.

Nuh-uh! Spiegel Gundam is the best.

CorvoSol

I don't know but I feel like that scene should have been dubbed in all languages.

Nuh-uh! Spiegel Gundam is the best.

Devil Gundam is like the Goku of Gundams, man. It has like, every power.

Depending on the dub, do you suppose Rain sounds more or less willing to under go Mobile Trace? /bad, bad joke

My import copy of Shin Gundam Musou arrived last night for my Vita.

I am... so tired this morning. Also so happy.

I can't read any Japanese so I'm missing any tips it's giving me. Does anyone have tips for beating the big multi-target bosses in ultimate mode?

Ezalc

Devil Gundam is like the Goku of Gundams, man. It has like, every power.

Depending on the dub, do you suppose Rain sounds more or less willing to under go Mobile Trace? /bad, bad joke

No way man Spiegel Gundam is dabes.

I think the dub would only change her level of enjoyment of the process.

GAF, what made F91 a movie instead of series? I can only get "staff disputes" on wikipedia which isn't saying much.

There aren't many details on what really happened. Some sites like MAHQ claim that F91 was snubbed during production so that the staff could focus on 0083, but they don't have a lot of convincing proof. Sunrise probably just roadblocked Tomino again or something.

Ezalc

Honestly I find the UC timeline interesting. I always like to think about what happened before all the Zeon stuff and everything after Victory.

CorvoSol

Honestly I find the UC timeline interesting. I always like to think about what happened before all the Zeon stuff and everything after Victory.

I kinda only enjoy until the end of Zeon. Crossbone was great, but the "Spacemen then decided to do the same shit that the Zeon did forever and ever until the Heavens opened and
the Turn A Gundam beat the shit out of them
" is kinda meh to me.

Frankly it would've been better if F91 had kicked off its own rad timeline with Victory as its shitty conclusion.

Ezalc

I kinda only enjoy until the end of Zeon. Crossbone was great, but the "Spacemen then decided to do the same shit that the Zeon did forever and ever until the Heavens opened and
the Turn A Gundam beat the shit out of them
" is kinda meh to me.

Frankly it would've been better if F91 had kicked off its own rad timeline with Victory as its shitty conclusion.

I like to think some of the AU stuff come into play after Victory. Though I'm not very versed in the history of the series I haven't watched yet. But IIRC I used to think that it was usually Wing, then G, and then I forget what goes next. 00 is probably one of the few I'd place as being in a separate universe altogether.

One thing I also like seeing between these series is the advance in technology being present. A good example of this being the wings of light that are touched upon in Crossbone and then apparently fully realized in Victory.

I feel like some of the earlier series don't have as big jumps as they should however.

I swear to god Kirara is the worst character in anything ever. Just hearing her stupid overexerted voice makes me want to fill my brain with gravel.

I'd rather take a 12 episode show of infinite Karlmanns screeching set to the soundtrack of Soulja Boy ft. Nickleback and "How 2 draw sanic" instead of voluntarily sitting through a 20 second scene of Kirara introducing a gunpla event.

She sounds like pure terror to me.

MVjIeSW.jpg

At least we got Mu La Flaga's ship!

And this... lol

Enron

Banned
I swear to god Kirara is the worst character in anything ever. Just hearing her stupid overexerted voice makes me want to fill my brain with gravel.

I'd rather take a 12 episode show of infinite Karlmanns screeching set to the soundtrack of Soulja Boy ft. Nickleback and "How 2 draw sanic" instead of voluntarily sitting through a 20 second scene of Kirara introducing a gunpla event.

1382877828227.jpg

CorvoSol

At least we got Mu La Flaga's ship!

And this... lol

I'm not defending Kirara, I'm not, but nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING would really be worse than 12 episodes of just Karlman screaming. I know this because they made that into a 52 episode show called Victory Gundam and the only things worse than it are a giant space flower planned 500 years ago and space hitler.

Aizo

Banned

This is a great post. You and Corvo can detail rage and discomfort more than I think I'm capable of. Perhaps I just haven't found anything to make me angry enough. Rageworthy manga/anime usually just make me laugh. I read all of the manga Kimi no Iru Machi and while it's possibly--regarding the plot-- the worst manga I've ever read, I thought it was fun to point out all its terrible qualities.

Someone should find me something short and terrible to test my rage-o-meter.

This is a great post. You and Corvo can detail rage and discomfort more than I think I'm capable of. Perhaps I just haven't found anything to make me angry enough. Rageworthy manga/anime usually just make me laugh. I read all of the manga Kimi no Iru Machi and while it's possibly--regarding the plot-- the worst manga I've ever read, I thought it was fun to point out all its terrible qualities.

Someone should find me something short and terrible to test my rage-o-meter.

You mean you've read the sort of disappointed, contemptuous impressions that they've posted, and you want to want to emulate them?

Here. Shake Hands with Danger.

I don't see much point in getting all worked up like that on purpose, myself; it's so aggravating, and the disgust just kind of lingers. It's a real pain.

Aizo

Banned
I will watch this OVA.
The thing is that I find horrible media very entertaining, usually. I've seen The Room more times than I can count (several of which were in theatres; I even met the lead actors), watched terrible anime, played terrible games, seen many terrible movies and shows. I just laugh and enjoy it. We'll see how I feel about Victory Gundam, though... one day...

No piece of entertainment is ever getting as upset as Katarn and Corvo seem to get to be quite honest. If something is upsetting you as much as they rage about, then it's probably better to quit. Life is too short to spend it on something you're passionately hating

Aizo

Banned
Life is too short to spend it on something you're passionately hating
Of course! I agree! I genuinely enjoy some terrible things for a few reasons:
1. They help me reassess higher quality media.
2. I enjoy pointing out the inconsistencies and making jokes while watching with a group of friends.
3. I love laughing!

As long as the content is inoffensive and entertaining, I usually enjoy it. If not, I drop it. I'm too busy to watch Gundam. I love Gundam, and I'm too busy to watch it. I can't waste the free time I have.

CorvoSol

No piece of entertainment is ever getting as upset as Katarn and Corvo seem to get to be quite honest. If something is upsetting you as much as they rage about, then it's probably better to quit. Life is too short to spend it on something you're passionately hating

Pssssssssh. I think some of you 1) take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously when we hate on stuff and 2) don't realize that hating on stuff that you find awful is kind of sort of fun. This is why people lob tomatoes at comedians who suck.

Pssssssssh. I think some of you 1) take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously when we hate on stuff and 2) don't realize that hating on stuff that you find awful is kind of sort of fun. This is why people lob tomatoes at comedians who suck.

I know that it's fun! I know it all too well.
I'm just saying that it's a bit odd to go looking to 'test' it (or I was trying to, at least - rereading my post, it looks like I was saying that the exercise itself wasn't worth it, which is way off. I was drowsy!)
Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but I've always believed that snark-worthy targets should be stumbled upon, rather than searched for. It makes the experience richer. Yeah, 'richer' is the word I'm looking for.

I'm basing this off of my own experiences, though. I've been burned on recommendations from friends too many times; I'd go into a show or movie expecting "Springtime for Hitler", only to come out on the other side slightly disturbed or disgusted, or worst of all, bored. And that's on top of going out of my way to watch the thing in the first place. The Victory Gundam rewatch was an exception because it started out as a group exorcism - and considering how it ended, I think it only reinforces my point.

Speaking of which, now that I'm caught up with my coursework, I should probably polish VG off soon.

CorvoSol

I know that it's fun! I know it all too well.
I'm just saying that it's a bit odd to go looking to 'test' it (or I was trying to, at least - rereading my post, it looks like I was saying that the exercise itself wasn't worth it, which is way off. I was drowsy!)
Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but I've always believed that snark-worthy targets should be stumbled upon, rather than searched for. It makes the experience richer. Yeah, 'richer' is the word I'm looking for.

I'm basing this off of my own experiences, though. I've been burned on recommendations from friends too many times; I'd go into a show or movie expecting "Springtime for Hitler", only to come out on the other side slightly disturbed or disgusted, or worst of all, bored. And that's on top of going out of my way to watch the thing in the first place. The Victory Gundam rewatch was an exception because it started out as a group exorcism - and considering how it ended, I think it only reinforces my point.

Speaking of which, now that I'm caught up with my coursework, I should probably polish VG off soon.

No I think you're right. I've been watching AnimeGAF's "The List" and while some things on it are definitely snark worthy and others fun, so many of the recommendations thereon are just incredibly boring. I'm not saying all recommendations fail to be as snark worthy as they should, but finding something to make fun of is oftentimes the best approach.

And that is the single argument I can see for putting AGE below 00 S2 and Movie.

Just what is so bad about 00 S2 that can put below the POS that was AGE? That still baffles me that you can put AGE above 00 S2 or the fact that you rate it so low.

I understand the movie bit as usually Gundam Movies are terrible and 00 Movie was even worse.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just what is so bad about 00 S2 that can put below the POS that was AGE? That still baffles me that you can put AGE above 00 S2 or the fact that you rate it so low.

I understand the movie bit as usually Gundam Movies are terrible and 00 Movie was even worse.
what is good about 00 Season 2? I literally can't think of anything

CorvoSol

Literally everything about 00 S2 that isn't related to its mechanical designs is worse than anything Gundam AGE put out.

what is good about 00 Season 2? I literally can't think of anything

Well for one its a continuation of 00 and finishes off the series with a bang. Ali Al-Saachez finally dies at Lockon's hands. The Innovades get pwned by the Gundam Meisters. Setsuna becomes a Innovator and kills Ribbons who has been committing atrocities behind the scenes just so he can rule over the human race. We see character development for nearly everyone and lots of conflict resolution happens. Mr. Bushido vs Setsuna was one of the best fights in Gundam history. Finally a whole bunch of awesome Gundam Suits are introduced in the season. Not limited to the 00 Raiser which is my most favorite suit but also the Cherudium and more suits. Mook suits sucked though.

The series has its own problems like any Gundam show, Louise Harvey and Saji Crossroad being one of them. Like how can you put 00 S2 below Victory gundam let alone AGE?

Literally everything about 00 S2 that isn't related to its mechanical designs is worse than anything Gundam AGE put out.

Fuck that shit. AGE had much more problems with its plots besides the suit designs.

CorvoSol

Seems like literally doesn't mean anything these days anymore.

Sure it does. It means "Everything other than the one point I just specified".

00's 2nd Season cannot even keep 00's 1st Season's character relationships straight. It has villains named Revive Revival. It somehow makes Louise Halevvy an ace pilot despite the fact that she's never gotten in a mech before in her life and also she lost a fucking hand. It suffers a stroke midway through and has this crazy ass interlude with some uprising or another where Smirnov's son throws a tantrum for no reason. It has MARIEMARIEMARIEMARIE. Just what the fuck were Wong Lu Mei and Nena Trinity even doing for the last 10 episodes of this show? It suddenly pulls Innovators vs Innovades out of its ass like its a thing I should care about. It has Lockoff. It has Lockoff's evil girlfriend.

I mean, AGE's 2nd half blows chunks, no denying, but at least I didn't have to sit through Saji Crossroads seven million failed attempts to persuade his girlfriend to stop being a psychopath.

Fuck that shit. AGE had much more problems with its plots besides the suit designs.

Sure it did. Those problems just weren't as severe as 00's.

00's 2nd Season cannot even keep 00's 1st Season's character relationships straight. It has villains named Revive Revival. It somehow makes Louise Halevvy an ace pilot despite the fact that she's never gotten in a mech before in her life and also she lost a fucking hand. It suffers a stroke midway through and has this crazy ass interlude with some uprising or another where Smirnov's son throws a tantrum for no reason. It has MARIEMARIEMARIEMARIE. Just what the fuck were Wong Lu Mei and Nena Trinity even doing for the last 10 episodes of this show? It suddenly pulls Innovators vs Innovades out of its ass like its a thing I should care about. It has Lockoff. It has Lockoff's evil girlfriend.

I mean, AGE's 2nd half blows chunks, no denying, but at least I didn't have to sit through Saji Crossroads seven million failed attempts to persuade his girlfriend to stop being a psychopath.

Dang man is this really the best you could come up with?

Revive Revival is another weird ass Gundam character name. We have just as bad names as hard as that is to believe.

I mean you are bringing up such arbitrary reasons about the show that I'm kinda shocked these are the only reasons you dislike it.

Louise Harvey being able to pilot a MS? Like that is a shocker in a Gundam show. How about the fact that 2 years passed since Celestial Being was routed in Season 1 and Exia was last seen fighting Graham's Overflag. In those 2 years, Louise gaining MS piloting skills is not hard to believe. Said hand you are talking about was grown back using Ribbon's medicine that allowed him to influence her using Quantum Brainwaves. Same medicine from the technology that gave CB their advanced Gundams and GN Drives along with the Innovades.

What the hell are you talking about stroke through the middle? Did you even watch the episodes that dealt with Katharon? You know the group that was against the Federation A-Laws because of their atrocities? Kinda like in Seed and other shows where they had a tyrant like government group?

Smirnov's son Andrei was a retard but so was Bright's son in Char's Counterattack with Quess. Pretty much the same fucking reason but Smirnov's son didn't die till the movie.

The reason it Marie over and over again is because Hallelujah cared about her and risked his life to get her back. You know, kinda like Puru? Being one of 2 or so survivors of the Super Human project?

Wong Liu Mei and Nena were in the background until it was their time. Wong Liu still gave information to CB and tried playing both sides. Ribbons gave her a smack on the face and then Nena killed her when she tried to give CB information as revenge.

Disliking Lockon's replacement is meaningless to the conversation. Lockon's mindcontrolled GF dying is an emotional moment and I'm sorry that you didn't seem to like it due to the characters involved

Innovators vs Innovades is something that Ribbons and Tieria coined. Its the same as the Newtype effect in the original Gundam. A natural Innovator like Setsuna would use his powers to lead humanity to a brighter future. While Ribbons held the idea that Innovades will rule over humanity and bring it under his own vision with his enforcers the A-Laws keeping the population under control.

Common man, keep them coming. I'll keep doing my best to shoot them down.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Being boring is much more offensive than being entertainingly terrible.
Truth.
You probably wanted to use "Objectively" or "Factually". You'd still be wrong though
Even if you used "Subjectively" :p
Um, no, "literally" does not mean that.
I don't get some of these complains, for example rregarding the names. It's Gundam, retarded names are a series staple. Also, there was a 4 year gap between the series, plenty of time for Louise to learn how to pilot. Smirnov's son was truly terrible though and I didn't really care about Anew.

I mean, I'm not defending it because it wasn't actually good, but it wasn't absolute garbage like V or AGE because at least it was entertaining. This song explains why

Hero

00 S2 was so fucking shitty and completely trivializes how S1 ended.

Lockon 1.0 had an awesome sequence and it's negated by the fact that oh shit, here's his twin brother that his exact same skill set, same looks, same voice and wants to be called the same codename. It's almost as bad as FFVIII's infamous "oh we forgot our memories and we all knew each other."

00 S2 was so fucking shitty and completely trivializes how S1 ended.

Lockon 1.0 had an awesome sequence and it's negated by the fact that oh shit, here's his twin brother that his exact same skill set, same looks, same voice and wants to be called the same codename. It's almost as bad as FFVIII's infamous "oh we forgot our memories and we all knew each other."

So when Feldt came on to Lyle he crushed her heart by proving to her he wasn't Neil?

Lyle was very much different from Neil in terms of personality and motives. You just didn't bother looking past the VA and that they were twins. Sunrise wanted to cheap out on the VA for Lockon, why not since both are twins and its not hard to imagine them having near identical voices.

Lyle went past Neil's shadow and became Lockon Stratos on his own.

MechaX

Okay, I just watched episode 43 of the Destiny Remaster.

Lacus, I will let slide for now that you have the spin skills of a politician for making everyone forget to ask "Okay, I get that's not the real Lacus... But why exactly was Dijbril in Orb again?" So... you have an Earth Alliance guy that is literally blowing apart colonies with a death laser, upping the death toll of innocents to the millions, and the first decision the Archangel crew comes to is "We need to stop Chairman Durandal's genetic caste system"?!

Man, fuck this series, fuck SEED (except Astray), fuck everything. 00 Season 2 got stupid, but at least that stupidity was solely due to plot convenience rather than the characters themselves being aggressively stupid at every step in the process. It's like every single goddamn character in this show is some sort of alien being that shares none of the rational thought process that even an average human being would show.

It's like every single goddamn character in this show is some sort of alien being that shares none of the rational thought process that even an average human being would show.
You are watching Gundam SEED, this is entirely normal and expected.

The one single intelligent character in the show got killed of about 80 episodes ago.

How Corvo can dislike the fun romp of 00 S2 is the greatest mystery about him. I think he missed that there was a timeskip of few years between the two seasons.

The one single intelligent character in the show got killed of about 80 episodes ago.

But
Mu La Flaga ~died~ on episode 50 of SEED
. Nah, I just don't remember who you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom