• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I escaped my doom by watching Gundam today. I just played Japanese shoot 'em ups and Yakyū Kakutō Rīgu Man (Ninja Baseball Bat Man, and yes, it's as awesome as it sounds). I did write two essays and half of another, I suppose.... I still have 20 more pages worth of essays due by the end of the week, though..

Someone hold me.

vpIeGCR.jpg

You've got good taste in beat-'em-ups, take solace in that.

CorvoSol

What? You don't have a calender that corresponds with UC0079 and have each date marked with all the events that happened? I mean thats Gundam 101! Just kidding, but a timeline does exist in english: http://www.dyarstraights.com/mobile-suit-gundam-high-frontier/universal-century-master-timeline/ , unfortunately it seems the site is getting overhauled so not all the info is available, luckily there's the internet archive: https://web.archive.org/web/2012030...rstraights.com/msgundam/timeline.html#UC_0079 (might not be the most up to date backup). It doesn't mention exactly what episode happen when but most important events are depicted all the way from 1771 to Turn A Gundam.

No I have timelines, I just haven't seen one that says "this episode of the 8th MS team happens at the same time as this episode of MSG" in clear text.

I never watched victory. What makes the grim reaper a bigger winner in that show than the others?

Because people die for no reason en masse in Victory.

I just don't think the reaper finds any satisfaction in taking the lives of those cardboard cutouts. And a man who doesn't find any satisfaction in his business surely is no winner.

Well you know the kids gotta eat right? Unless, of course, it's Victory in which case they'll be getting run over by a mech in a giant fucking mack truck tire.....

Jubern

Ichiro Nagai was found dead this morning, in the room of the hotel he was staying at in Hiroshima last night :(

For those who have never heard about him, the 82 years-old actor was the narrator of Mobile Suit Gundam, as well as the actor for Degwin Zabi, Akahana (lol), Crux Dogatie (Crossbone Gundam) and Siam Vist (Gundam Unicorn).

Before anyone asks: no info as to whether he had already recorded his lines for the last Unicorn episode.

Ichiro Nagai was found dead this morning, in the room of the hotel he was staying at in Hiroshima last night :(

For those who have never heard about him, the 82 years-old actor was the narrator of Mobile Suit Gundam, as well as the actor for Degwin Zabi, Akahana (lol), Crux Dogatie (Crossbone Gundam) and Siam Vist (Gundam Unicorn).

Before anyone asks: no info as to whether he had already recorded his lines for the last Unicorn episode.

Acguy-MG-1-100-04-1000x1000.jpg

RIP Gundambro.

Well shit :(

Um.. back onto what I was going to say. I quite like Shin Gundam Musou, but then I've not played the previous three games. One advantage of the Seed focus is that you can play through six missions in official mode and never watch the rest of Destiny. Another is that you randomly get to kill Shin in Ultimate mode. A lot.

;_; A legend passes away.

I hope he did record his lines for Unicorn's last episode. Would be so sad to hear a synthetic or replacement over his voice.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Episode 1 Opening Narration said:
A half-century has passed since mankind began moving its burgeoning population to outer space. Gigantic colonies obiting the Earth have become mankind's second home, where people are born, raised and die.
The year is Universal Century 0079. The group of colonies furthest from Earth, Side 3, have declared themselves the Principality of Zeon and launched a war of independence against the Earth Federation government. Both Zeon and the Federation lost half of their respective populations in the war's first month alone. People lived in fear of their own actions. Eight months have passed since the war began and both sides are locked in a stalemate.

Mobile Suit Gundam - The Long Sleep

Thank you and RIP Ichiro Nagai.

Crossbone Gundam DLC is out for Shin Gundam Musou. Just downloaded it.

Edit: took it for a spin. Crazy fast, but weaker attacks than the other DLC mobile suits. Still loving it, though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I know this is a big favor to ask, but I've been thinking about watching everything Gundam.
I've been thinking about watching the compilation movies when possible, but I've heard that there are many of them are pretty bad.
Could someone give me a list and order of series/movies that I should watch?
So far I've seen the whole 00 w/ movie and 6 episodes of Unicorn.

CorvoSol

Speaking of 00, it was kind of an odd feeling to see that Full Metal Panic referenced it in the Manga's last issue. Like can you reference a work that spends its first half doing nothing but referencing you? Isn't that like refception?

I know this is a big favor to ask, but I've been thinking about watching everything Gundam.
I've been thinking about watching the compilation movies when possible, but I've heard that there are many of them are pretty bad.
Could someone give me a list and order of series/movies that I should watch?
So far I've seen the whole 00 w/ movie and 6 episodes of Unicorn.

I'm a big fan of production order, but I know it isn't for everyone.

If you want to get into UC timeline, starting with First Gundam is a must. I prefer the TV series, but the movies are good and have their own strengths (such as a better finale in movie three due to an awesome song that is movie only).

From there, you have Zeta Gundam. There is a compilation movie trilogy called a New Translation, but it isn't very good and cuts out WAY too many key moments and doesn't make sense.

After that is ZZ Gundam, which is only a television show.

Then you have Char's Counterattack, which is a movie.

You've already seen all available episodes of Unicorn. That takes place 3 years after CCA.

From there, you have the OVAs. There is 0080 and 0083, which take place during the first series and 3 years after the first series respectively.

Then there is 08th MS team, another OVA that takes place during First's time.

After all those are done, you have the "Late UC" shows. There is F91, a movie that takes place 30 years after Char's Counterattack. And then there is Victory Gundam, a series that takes place 30 years after F91. Neither really are that closely tied to each other or the other UC shows.

After that, there are the AU (alternate universes). The first AU is G Gundam, a TV series. Then there is Wing Gundam and it's follow up OVA, Endless Waltz (there is a re-edited version of the OVA, which is essentially the same but with a few changed scenes). Then there is Gundam X, the only Gundam series besides the original to be cancelled.

After all of those are watched, I recommend Turn A Gundam. For me, this is kind of the conclusion of "Classic Gundam". It's a nice wrap up of the franchise from 1979 - 1999. They could have ended the franchise there and it would have been nice. There are (two?) movies that are compilation films, but they're bad so don't watch them.

Instead they "rebooted" the franchise with Gundam Seed, which is popular but I don't like it. It had a follow up series called Gundam Seed Destiny. There is also an OVA that is set in the series called "Stargazer", which is actually pretty damn good IMHO.

You've already seen 00 and it's movie.

After 00, there was Gundam AGE, a tv series broken into 3 generations. It had an (OVA/Movie?) called Memory of Eden, which added some new material to the middle arc of the story. Frankly, I hear the PSP game by Level 5 is the definitive version of the story though (Level 5 had a huge hand in developing the show, so it's almost like the show was a tie in for the game, rather than vice versa).

The current running series is Gundam Build Fighters. I hear it's supposed to be about 25 episodes. It's pretty good IMHO.

There is also an OVA called Gundam Igloo, and Gundam Igloo 2. Igloo focuses on Zeon Engineers, while Igloo 2 focuses on grunt soldiers and some hogwash about death gods.

There is also one final OVA called Gunpla Builders, which I recommend watching before Gundam Build Fighters since it is only 45 minutes long and is essentially the same concept as GBF

Speaking of 00, it was kind of an odd feeling to see that Full Metal Panic referenced it in the Manga's last issue. Like can you reference a work that spends its first half doing nothing but referencing you? Isn't that like refception?

It's not nearly as complicated as that. For that to happen, FMP would have to reference the references made by 00 in a way that's too vague to be a proper reference, while making references to the fact that it's referencing something that makes references to itself.

FMP is just acknowledging 00, that's all.

CorvoSol

It's not nearly as complicated as that. For that to happen, FMP would have to reference the references made by 00 in a way that's too vague to be a proper reference, while making references to the fact that it's referencing something that makes references to itself.

FMP is just acknowledging 00, that's all.

I think I get it, so in order for it to be refception, it would've needed something like Kurz wearing an eyepatch while
taking his final shot
since Lockon, in addition to being a wholesale reference to Kurz,
right down to the death of his family in a terrorist bombing
, Lockon's
last shot was already highly similar to Kurz's.

But AL
cracking wise about wanting to be put into a Trans-Am
is just a wink, huh?

After seeing tons of people posted the Mobile Suit Gundam The ORIGIN manga in the pick-up thread, I got interested into it, and got the first vol. Well. I was hooked. Read through it in one sitting and the second part is coming to me today. So yeah. I never got into Gundam, but I was always interested, but like every big franchise, there were so many iteration and I have no clue where to start. And I do not see any help in the OP, so I'm asking: Can you help me out?

After seeing tons of people posted the Mobile Suit Gundam The ORIGIN manga in the pick-up thread, I got interested into it, and got the first vol. Well. I was hooked. Read through it in one sitting and the second part is coming to me today. So yeah. I never got into Gundam, but I was always interested, but like every big franchise, there were so many iteration and I have no clue where to start. And I do not see any help in the OP, so I'm asking: Can you help me out?
Literally three posts above you

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
<In-depth explanation>
Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for.

I've started watching Seed yesterday and after finishing it and Destiny I will start from the original Gundam Movies.

I forgot to mention that I'm up to date with Build Fighters and it's awesome.

I forgot to mention that I'm up to date with Build Fighters and it's awesome.

There are a lot of layers as to why Build Fighters is awesome. For one, it's a very interesting show with some awesome action choreography and pretty decent characters, so if you've never seen anything else in the franchise, you can get sucked in.

For another, it's chalked FULL of references to past works and continuity gags, so old fans will be laughing their asses off at all the fanservice.

Such a great show to celebrate the franchise's 35th anniversary

Dragoshi1

My local shop is gonna get Acguy for me, woohoo!

And what's the general consensus and opinion on the LBX model kits?

Figured I ask here, as there doesn't seem to be an official thread for misc. model kits.

Beth Cyra

Gundam Wing Box Set II just arrived. Really love the OZ focus with this one. Katoki's work on Tallgeese, Virgo, Leo, and the twins is still amazing. I'm sad no other series has matched Wing when it comes to the detail and designs of the antagonist side.

Watched the Picture Novel about 4 times. Much improved over the Novels, thanks to a lot of editing. Also that music, one the quality is much better then watching the episodes, and it really hits home how unique the sound track to Wing really was, and how regardless of the plot it should be remembered for the amazing OST.

Aizo

Banned
I want to get into Gundam, where the hell do I start?
If you want to get into the franchise from the beginning, watch the original series from 1979.

I got into it through video games, though. Then, I watched all the bad series... Now I'm watching the original, and I really appreciate it. There are many series you could start with if you're interested enough.

I want to get into Gundam, where the hell do I start?

The real answer is the movie trilogy: Mobile Suit Gundam, Soldiers of Sorrow, Encounters in Space. This establishes all of the tropes and standards that the later series ape in various ways and of varying levels of quality.

CorvoSol

This makes it sound like you just like Gundam for the fights, and not so much the space colonization, and space opera aspects.

Some Gundam shows would be immensely improved if the amount of time spent fighting vastly outweighed the melodramatic teenagers whining at each other about how the Earth is so passe.

It was a good fight, but meh I want more G damn it.

It is sad that there hasn't been enough screen time for G suits, I admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom