• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoshi1

Got my first LBX model; Trivhine.

84cTDuo.jpg

Not quite a Gundam model, but very similar!

Here it is next to my Z'Gok;

68nJAa3.jpg

Zerojul

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a long time gundam fan, so this thread seems like a natural subscription for me :)
I need some advice in choosing my next kit, GundamGaf !
I'm currently finishing a MG Nu Ver.Ka and this build is very tedious, especially the water slide decals (which I absolutely suck at by the way).
So I'd like to build something good looking but less time-consuming after this one.
I've decided to push my MG Sazabi Ver.Ka aside for the moment and consider ordering something else. MG's are my to-go category and I like to have everything on the same scale.
I'm considering MG Tallgeese, MG Buster, MG Blitz or a good old Zeta (ver 2.0).
What is the best choice there ? Any one built one of those ?

Zerojul

Gods be damned, what the fuck do I do now?

These master grade joints are too tight for their own good. Can't believe I managed to build the Aile Strike without breaking anything.

Ouch... You could try to glue it down somehow, it may hold in place with the outer green / red (depending on the Zaku you're building) plastic piece, but I'm afraid you will lose in movability / poseability :(

it may hold in place with the outer green / red (depending on the Zaku you're building) plastic piece, but I'm afraid you will lose in movability / poseability :(
It kind of works. But man, what a disappointment. That poor Zaku will not move its shield arm ever.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a long time gundam fan, so this thread seems like a natural subscription for me :)
I need some advice in choosing my next kit, GundamGaf !
I'm currently finishing a MG Nu Ver.Ka and this build is very tedious, especially the water slide decals (which I absolutely suck at by the way).
So I'd like to build something good looking but less time-consuming after this one.
I've decided to push my MG Sazabi Ver.Ka aside for the moment and consider ordering something else. MG's are my to-go category and I like to have everything on the same scale.
I'm considering MG Tallgeese, MG Buster, MG Blitz or a good old Zeta (ver 2.0).
What is the best choice there ? Any one built one of those ?

I've never built an MG buster, but I do know an MG Zeta is kind of on the fragile side, due in no small part to the fact it transforms. MG Tallgeese in comparison is more rigid, but I wound up breaking some leg caps my first rodeo in-but there's nothing that Gorilla glue can't fix lol

Enron

Banned
I've never built an MG buster, but I do know an MG Zeta is kind of on the fragile side, due in no small part to the fact it transforms. MG Tallgeese in comparison is more rigid, but I wound up breaking some leg caps my first rodeo in-but there's nothing that Gorilla glue can't fix lol

I spent a lot of money on the special metallic coating Zeta MasterGrade from the late 90's back in the day and it was a complete piece of shit. The v2 zetas im sure are better, but I don't think there's any way you can get a sturdy kit with its transformation capability. I would avoid.

Zerojul

I spent a lot of money on the special metallic coating Zeta MasterGrade from the late 90's back in the day and it was a complete piece of shit. The v2 zetas im sure are better, but I don't think there's any way you can get a sturdy kit with its transformation capability. I would avoid.
You're right, a variable MS is probably a pain to build by design. I will rule the Zeta out for now, but I'll probably get it one day anyway, as it's maybe my favorite suit ever. Thanks for the advice :)

You're right, a variable MS is probably a pain to build by design. I will rule the Zeta out for now, but I'll probably get it one day anyway, as it's maybe my favorite suit ever. Thanks for the advice :)

There are way's to make a variable MS kit stronger though, cause like Enron says most kits will be not so great in quality. Some methods include recasting fragile pieces in epoxy or some other resins or plastic, hitting it with a hair dryer, and lots of fucking sanding to make sure things fit right-I know a few guys who actually recast some shit in metal. It's time consuming as shit though and requires A LOT of patience.

mingus

Gods be damned, what the fuck do I do now?

These master grade joints are too tight for their own good. Can't believe I managed to build the Aile Strike without breaking anything.

I've fixed a broken joint with JB Weld. Put a dab on it, let it set while clamped, then sand off the excess. Between that and loosening up the polycap a bit I haven't had any issues with it since.

Zerojul

There are way's to make a variable MS kit stronger though, cause like Enron says most kits will be not so great in quality. Some methods include recasting fragile pieces in epoxy or some other resins or plastic, hitting it with a hair dryer, and lots of fucking sanding to make sure things fit right-I know a few guys who actually recast some shit in metal. It's time consuming as shit though and requires A LOT of patience.

Ah ah, this is far beyond my capabilities... I've settled for a MG Tallgeese, I love the design and it's not that expensive. Ordered it from Amiami but it's back-ordered so I'll have to wait a few weeks. I totally forgot I had a MG X on its way too so maybe I'll start with this one when the Nu is completed.

andymcc

Banned
i ended up building the Mark II.

It looks really good for a first attempt! i'm applying the stickers and have decided to order some Gundam Markers to give it some more detail...

kunonabi

So I'm headed to Japan in March and I was interested in picking up something Gundam related for my brother. It doesn't need to be a Gunpla but something he would have trouble finding elsewhere. also, any good shops in Tokyo or Akita to check out?

KiraFA37

So I'm headed to Japan in March and I was interested in picking up something Gundam related for my brother. It doesn't need to be a Gunpla but something he would have trouble finding elsewhere like something.also, any good shops in Tokyo or Akita to check out?

I did the same thing last year except that I bought merch for myself. I visited Yodobashi Akiba in Tokyo, large gunpla and toy shop on one of the tops floors. The giant Gundam in Odaiba with the museum on top of the shopping mall is also a good spot, got a mug, several post cards, and some papermaps with the name of several companies that exist in gundam on it. Also went to some of the arcades and won a figure of Kira Yamato and Marida Cruz from one of the claw games, this WILL eat your money though. Otherwise you could ask your brother what suits he likes and buy the converge version of them if the exist. These are 5-6 cm high and are perfect for on a desk or something.

Hope this helps, but I'm sure some of the other guys here know some better places.

andymcc

Banned
So I'm headed to Japan in March and I was interested in picking up something Gundam related for my brother. It doesn't need to be a Gunpla but something he would have trouble finding elsewhere like something.also, any good shops in Tokyo or Akita to check out?

Yodabashi Akiba like the previous poster mentioned but if I recall correctly there is this great toy store right outside of Ueno station called Yamashiroya. They have a massive gunpla floor.

Zerojul

As others said Yodobashi Akiba is an awesome place for kits, figures and toys. There's a Cospa store nearby where you could find t-shirts, sweaters, bags, mugs, etc... There's a Gundam Cafe just outside the Yodobashi where they sell some goods, too. My gf bought me a pair of RX-78 chopsticks that I absolutely love there. They got mugs, shirts and other gift stuff like that. There's an other Gundam Cafe at diver city, Odaiba, near the 1/1 Gundam statue, and a gift shop where you can find special limited Gunplas ("GFT" versions) that are supposedly exclusive to the place. Finding Gundam related stuff will be easy :)

On a side note my MG RX-93 Ver.Ka is finally complete :

Beautiful kit, I wish I were a better builder to do it justice but I guess the result is not that bad :)

NEO0MJ

It's the mechanical designs around the torso and the legs. I just hate the way it looks.

In comparison Z'gok E from War in the Pocket looks much better:

main.jpg

Yeah, this and Hy-Gogg look so good together. I've been preparing to paint it myself but I'm so afraid I'll mess it up.

moustache gundam is so ugly. itd actually look better without all those panel lines.

You are a duck with no eye for class.

Aizo

Banned

I was actually in Akihabara today, coincidentally (I hardly ever go). I recommend something from the Gundam Cafe there. Perhaps a Gundam or Zaku II coffee mug? They're pretty sweet.

Edit: I also saw Hyakushiki chopsticks that I considered buying! They were advertised on Gundam BF's commercial breaks on Japanese TV, so I was quite tempted...

Enron

Banned
Hey guys, check out my gunpla!!!!

12419294525_5c9770115d_c.jpg

That's everything i've done since late november. I am reminded why I quit this hobby in the first place. ;_;

Enron

Banned
I got my first Gundam kit for Christmas and thought I'd share a pic:

I wanna know how hard it is to paint these things? Lot of eqpt needed to do a good job? Any good guides out there?

tons of good tip sites. goodguydan's gunpla blog is pretty good. I suggest adding a cheapass HGUC kit (there are some for as little as 8 or 9 bucks) to your order next time you buy something from hlj or amazon or wherever to experiment with painting on.

It's not that hard if you are using spray cans or an airbrush. Do not attempt to handpaint unless its just for a few small pieces here and there, though. Shit's annoying.

Pretty much the steps are as follows.

1 Cut pieces off sprues.
2 Sand down any sprue nubs.
3 lay down primer on pieces (most folks attach each piece to a skewer via alligator clip or sticky tack and stick em in a foam block so you can spray em easier)
4 After that has dried, spray down color.
----
Always remember - you do not want to mix paint types together in such a way that a paint with a stronger solvent in it gets put on top of a weaker one. Paint strengths are as follows. Lacquers > Enamels > Acrylics. You can lay down a Lacquer primer and put an enamel or acrylic paint on top of it, for instance because the solvents in acryl and enamel are weaker than the lacquer. however, if you put down an enamel coat and then top it with lacquer, you might have some problems.
---
6 (optional) Gloss clear coat - decals and panel lining will be easier to do on a gloss surface
7 put down decals and panel lines
8 matte coat to seal your decals and panel lines

bam, you are done. nothing is really hard, its just REALLY time consuming. Acrylics take about 24 hours to cure fully, enamels about 48-72. Lacquers can cure pretty quick (less than a day) but i'd still give those about a day or so to cure to be safe. So when you are painting multiple coats, it can take a while.

Also remember - if using spray cans, paint in quick bursts and always keep your hand moving past the pieces. if you keep hovering over the same area while spraying you will have too much paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom