• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
Mobile Suit Gundam
I meant to have this finished by December, but life really got in the way.
The last episode was wonderful, and I really enjoyed my time with this series. Since I already knew many of the events that would happen, it was more about seeing how the Tomino directed these developments. The direction was definitely a strong point, and I loved all the trippy Newtype scenes near the end of the series.
Lrlf7UG.png
naJb660.png
A really strong final episode. Especially this.

So.

I'm now watching a whole bunch of Gundam shows at the same time.

Turn A: I'm loving this to bits. So much so that I'm going slowly because I don't want to "run out". I only watch another episode when I want to "treat" myself. I'm really liking the baking shop sub-plot.

MSG 08th Mobile Suit Team: I'm quite enjoying this.

Zeta Gundam: This is really great, in almost all respects. Except for one. I loathe Kamille with a fiery hatred that I had previously only reserved for...

Gundam Seed Destiny: Like Turn A, I'm watching this very slowly, but in this case it's because I can only watch one episode on time without wanting to throw my computer across the room.

And of course I'm watching Build Fighters as it's released.

How far into Zeta are you? Kamille is kind of annoying at first, but he gets better around episode 25 or so. Around the time he gets the actual Zeta Gundam (which is a very sexy mobile suit. I don't typically like Gundams, prefering grunt suits myself, but the Zeta is very nice. It's one of my favorite designs, up there with the Nu

How far into Zeta are you? Kamille is kind of annoying at first, but he gets better around episode 25 or so. Around the time he gets the actual Zeta Gundam (which is a very sexy mobile suit. I don't typically like Gundams, prefering grunt suits myself, but the Zeta is very nice. It's one of my favorite designs, up there with the Nu

About ten episodes.

From what I've seen of it in Shin Musou Gundam, the Zeta Gundam is indeed pretty.

Luigi87

After AGE killed my passion of Gundam, my friend finally encouraged me to check out Build Fighters the other week, and it has reinvigorated my love of the series on the whole.

Since then I've ordered (and am awaiting delivery) of Extreme Vs. Full Boost, finally caught up to Unicorn, ordered a MG Hi-Nu kit, and now just ripped my copy of Senshitachi no Kiseki (first console game I ever pre-ordered, and got it for like $20 at the time) for GameCube and started a new file on Dolphin.

... This game is still so damn good. Action/Strategy/Simulation (planning movement, needing to re-equip at Whitebase, etc)...

CorvoSol

Rain ain't that good looking bro.

Father forgive him, for he knows not what he speaks.

So.

I'm now watching a whole bunch of Gundam shows at the same time.

Turn A: I'm loving this to bits. So much so that I'm going slowly because I don't want to "run out". I only watch another episode when I want to "treat" myself. I'm really liking the baking shop sub-plot.

MSG 08th Mobile Suit Team: I'm quite enjoying this.

Zeta Gundam: This is really great, in almost all respects. Except for one. I loathe Kamille with a fiery hatred that I had previously only reserved for...

Gundam Seed Destiny: Like Turn A, I'm watching this very slowly, but in this case it's because I can only watch one episode on time without wanting to throw my computer across the room.

And of course I'm watching Build Fighters as it's released.

It's funny because by the end of Zeta Kamille was basically the only thing I didn't hate.

Beth Cyra

Well I sat through the newest episode of GBF.

Loved the X, firing the Hyper Sat Canon that many times was really great, and the Maoh Sword was fucking awesome. Sadly thought he plot armor for Sei/Reiji has now hit beyond Wing levels with their dumb blue fist of doom being able to tank the sword and keep going.

At least Destiny had the right idea that the Shining Finger could be overloaded with Athrun's beam saber, this shit isn't no god damn G Gundam where Domon is using it once a week to finish off an opponent for fuck sake.

Not as good as Star B Vs Wing, but still better then alot of the episodes. Sad it looks like Wing is going to get the Worf treatment against Queb comming up, but at least it had the one episode.

CorvoSol

Well I sat through the newest episode of GBF.

Loved the X, firing the Hyper Sat Canon that many times was really great, and the Maoh Sword was fucking awesome. Sadly thought he plot armor for Sei/Reiji has now hit beyond Wing levels with their dumb blue fist of doom being able to tank the sword and keep going.

At least Destiny had the right idea that the Shining Finger could be overloaded with Athrun's beam saber, this shit isn't no god damn G Gundam where Domon is using it once a week to finish off an opponent for fuck sake.

Not as good as Star B Vs Wing, but still better then alot of the episodes. Sad it looks like Wing is going to get the Worf treatment against Queb comming up, but at least it had the one episode.

You just mad your boy Mao lost to the Shiny New Blue Finger.

Beth Cyra

You just mad your boy Mao lost to the Shiny New Blue Finger.

Nah, the Blue Finger I knew was coming, it is in the opening after all.

That doesn't excuse the fact that the Maoh sword is probably the single strongest weapon in Gundam (comboing the Microwave Sat Canon, and the Charge Panels on X's body) aside from the Moonlight Butterfly and yet it gets tanked by a fist.

All this would be one thing if it was the God FInger, but it's not. This is a play on Real Grade line of Model kits who has nearly zero reasonable explanation in the show and it's just awful in every way how this is playing out.

is hlj a good place to get kits?

It is, I've ordered from them many times.

I do however prefer Amiami, shipping is faster and the prices are better in alot of cases as well.

CorvoSol

is hlj a good place to get kits?

I buy all my stuff from there, so yeah.

Nah, the Blue Finger I knew was coming, it is in the opening after all.

That doesn't excuse the fact that the Maoh sword is probably the single strongest weapon in Gundam (comboing the Microwave Sat Canon, and the Charge Panels on X's body) aside from the Moonlight Butterfly and yet it gets tanked by a fist.

All this would be one thing if it was the God FInger, but it's not. This is a play on Real Grade line of Model kits who has nearly zero reasonable explanation in the show and it's just awful in every way how this is playing out.

I think you're taking a Shining Finger too seriously.

Beth Cyra

I buy all my stuff from there, so yeah.

I think you're taking a Shining Finger too seriously.
Its not even the Shining Finger that's the problem. Its the plot armor of RG System.

Remember how everyone rightly calls nonsense when Wing Gundam tanked Library's Main Canon? This shit is beyond even that.

You are watching Gundam Build Fighters right? This isn't some other very similar show under a different name? Because the show that everyone else is watching had a toy robot powered by magic throw a baseball so hard at another toy robot powered by magic that it caused an explosion.

Beth Cyra

You are watching Gundam Build Fighters right? This isn't some other very similar show under a different name? Because the show that everyone else is watching had a toy robot powered by magic throw a baseball so hard at another toy robot powered by magic that it caused an explosion.

I know the show I'm watching. Even in the context of this show, RG Knuckle>Maoh Sword is stupid IMO.

Beth Cyra

I just don't see how a magical energy sword is less ridiculous than a magical energy fist.

There is at least an explanation to try and power the the sword. it's not the best, but at least we have the fact it is being powered by two incredibly strong power sources.

The RG fist is powered by magical blue lights who's power is seemingly limitless. It becomes an issue when you give your lead such a powerful attack/setup that you start making it hard to even compete with them. Having RG Knuckle/Fist beat out the combined power of the sun and moon makes it so not only does it do a disservice to X Maoh Sword, but makes me careless for all future battles because they got this dues ex attack in their back pocket.

For me, it simply undoes all the good will that Star Vs Wing gave the series. Head Vulcans doing damage, the kick ass punch out, and the draw finish? All great things, but now I wonder why it was even needed when Star can just SSJ it up and punch through the powers of space.

yami4ct

Caved and bought the MG Gundam X, even though my painting backlog is huge. Couldn't not buy it. One of my favorite designs ever. Also, now that I'm 33 episodes into my first watch of the show, I really wanted some kits from it. Love everything about X.

CorvoSol

There is at least an explanation to try and power the the sword. it's not the best, but at least we have the fact it is being powered by two incredibly strong power sources.

The RG fist is powered by magical blue lights who's power is seemingly limitless. It becomes an issue when you give your lead such a powerful attack/setup that you start making it hard to even compete with them. Having RG Knuckle/Fist beat out the combined power of the sun and moon makes it so not only does it do a disservice to X Maoh Sword, but makes me careless for all future battles because they got this dues ex attack in their back pocket.

For me, it simply undoes all the good will that Star Vs Wing gave the series. Head Vulcans doing damage, the kick ass punch out, and the draw finish? All great things, but now I wonder why it was even needed when Star can just SSJ it up and punch through the powers of space.

None of the explanations matter anyway. How could Mao possibly have built a model that specifically did those things? How does the absorb system for the Star Build even work? It's all just silly fun and games and the RG Knuckle is just a Shining Finger. It doesn't need to be explained, it just needs to be fun, which it was.

andymcc

Banned
hey guys. i bought a gunpla kit at a local hobby store a few days ago. I've never built one before but i'm going to give it a shot. it doesn't have english instructions, my japanese is pretty limited, are there any good websites for pointers for a first-timer?

CorvoSol

I also think I should point out that the show does explain what RG mode is in episode 15. The Star Build Strike is permeated both within and without with Plavsky Particles, enhancing its capabilities. In fact, this explanation means that the RG Knuckle trumping Maoh's Solar Sword makes perfect sense. The entire Star Build Strike is filled and covered with the particles that make up the entire game during RG Mode, so the sword couldn't hope to conquer it because it was the reality of the game itself.

Considering that the Star Build Strike is a Super Gundam running on Reality Power made up of Plot Important Particles, I'd say that they're doing an INCREDIBLE job of reining that shit in. Sei and Reiji have a power that by rights should render them invincible and the writers have chosen to limit that power and show that the Wing and the X can both inflict significant damage and pose a serious threat. The Absorb Shield is already such a game breaker, but they've done a stellar job of keeping it from being one by letting basically every single enemy realize that "Oh if I don't use beam weapons it can't do jack".

Honestly I disagree with your statement, then, that the RG mode is somehow detrimental to the plot or developing poorly. The RG Mode COULD be, if it was anything like what you're saying it is, but since the writers have done an impeccable job of keeping it in their pants, and considering the hilarious ease with which it could be broken, and the pitfalls of AGE, 00, and even SEED, if not all of Gundam in this general area, I dare say they're doing a damn fine job here.

As it stands, RG Mode is way less of a game breaker than Trans Am ever was.

And as for Sei and Reiji winning all the time, it's a tournament show, that's bound to happen. I mean shoot, even Domon barely ever lost.

yami4ct

one more gunpla question, is there any kits you guys have experience with that are ideal for first timers?

If you really want a beginner, beginner kit, an SD kit will be your best bet. Very few parts and easy to assemble. In my experience, just about any modern (Post-SEED) HG kit will be perfect for a beginner. If you're feeling adventurous, you could start with a MG. I did, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to go very slowly and take your time as your first experience. The only thing I would absolutely recommend against are RG kits, as the complexity mixed with small size makes them tricky even for an experienced builder. Also avoid PG kits, but you weren't going to be looking at those anyway.

If you do go with a MG kit, my final recommendation about that is to avoid anything transformable like the Zeta gundam as those are particularly fragile. HGs are probably your perfect start, though.

If you really want a beginner, beginner kit, an SD kit will be your best bet. Very few parts and easy to assemble. In my experience, just about any modern (Post-SEED) HG kit will be perfect for a beginner. If you're feeling adventurous, you could start with a MG. I did, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to go very slowly and take your time as your first experience. The only thing I would absolutely recommend against are RG kits, as the complexity mixed with small size makes them tricky even for an experienced builder. Also avoid PG kits, but you weren't going to be looking at those anyway.

If you do go with a MG kit, my final recommendation about that is to avoid anything transformable like the Zeta gundam as those are particularly fragile. HGs are probably your perfect start, though.

My first kit was Char's Custom Zaku 2 RG. It was tough lol.

It's the only RG i've built to this day. I like the look of RGs, but they're just so damn fragile

yami4ct

Fair enough, and one could argue that what GBF is missing is someone like Master Asia, but for the most part Domon still dominated everyone.

In terms of an impassible obstacle for the hero(es), Tatsuya Yuuki/Kawaguchi is probably as close to Master Asia as we've gotten so far. He definitely feels like the driving antagonist that the show has been building up. I do agree the show could have used some sort of teacher rival, though. That would have made some bits more interesting and have given Sei and Reiji a much larger driving rival than they have now.

Sei and Reiji have lost 3 times now. Two against Tatsuya and then came 2nd in the Gundam Race. They also had a draw against Fellini. They've won most of the time but certainly not all of the time.

andymcc

Banned

thanks for all of the info.

i bought a Gundam Mk. II RG on a whim and it's daunting. I'll probably start with something else.

CorvoSol

In terms of an impassible obstacle for the hero(es), Tatsuya Yuuki/Kawaguchi is probably as close to Master Asia as we've gotten so far. He definitely feels like the driving antagonist that the show has been building up. I do agree the show could have used some sort of teacher rival, though. That would have made some bits more interesting and have given Sei and Reiji a much larger driving rival than they have now.

Fingers still crossed that the show pulls a Pokemon R/B moment and reveals that Ramba Ral has been the Champeen all along.

yami4ct

thanks for all of the info.

i bought a Gundam Mk. II RG on a whim and it's daunting. I'll probably start with something else.

Yeah, I'd wait to get on that. You could start with it, but you have to be super careful with it. Cut the parts cleanly, shave or sand the nubs down and bend the joints super carefully when you cut the frame out to free them up for the first time. That particular RG isn't the craziest because it doesn't have the Core Fighter of the RX-78 or GP01 and it's not transformable like the Zeta, but it's still a bit tricky for a first time.

Fingers still crossed that the show pulls a Pokemon R/B moment and reveals that Ramba Ral has been the Champeen all along.

If they pull that it's going to either be someone from Reiji's world or, most likely, Sei's Father.

CorvoSol

It's going to be Kirara and you're going to like it.

I'm fine with that. She and Felini are cute together.

Yeah Master Asia fought Domon in about as many episodes as well.

I can think of no more than 3 instances. Tokyo, Guyana, and the Battle Royal. Add in Schwarz and the number jumps up to maybe 5? Add in Sai Saici having to be told to quit or he would kill himself and Domon and we have like, at most, 6.

I'm fine with that. She and Felini are cute together.

I can think of no more than 3 instances. Tokyo, Guyana, and the Battle Royal. Add in Schwarz and the number jumps up to maybe 5? Add in Sai Saici having to be told to quit or he would kill himself and Domon and we have like, at most, 6.

Didn't Domon lose to that French guy? I forgot but it was a Rose themed Gundam or some crap.

CorvoSol

Didn't Domon lose to that French guy? I forgot but it was a Rose themed Gundam or some crap.

George De Sand? I don't think so. Domon's fights with George ended first with Domon ending the match so George could save his girlfriend and then with Domon beating him, I thought.

Sai is the only one who fought Domon to a draw, and the second match would've been a draw where they both died if someone hadn't talked Sai down.

George De Sand? I don't think so. Domon's fights with George ended first with Domon ending the match so George could save his girlfriend and then with Domon beating him, I thought.

Sai is the only one who fought Domon to a draw, and the second match would've been a draw where they both died if someone hadn't talked Sai down.

Must have mixed it up then. Need to watch G Gundam again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom