• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Ok. Just looks like you have to paint thin straight lines by hand, which sounds tricky.

Not at all. I used an ink pen to paint them and an eraser to remove any ink that exited the line. Because the ink falls in and fills the groves it wont be erased when you use the eraser to remove the excess ink on the surface.

kitsuneyo

Not at all. I used an ink pen to paint them and an eraser to remove any ink that exited the line. Because the ink falls in and fills the groves it wont be erased when you use the eraser to remove the excess ink on the surface.

Awesome. What brand of pen did you use? Did you use different colours for different-coloured panels, or is the pen ink transparent enough to let some of the colour beneath it through?

NEO0MJ

Awesome. What brand of pen did you use? Did you use different colours for different-coloured panels, or is the pen ink transparent enough to let some of the colour beneath it through?

I use one of those pens that you fill with ink from a container, as it spreads pretty fast and makes the job easier. I also use a yoken pen for places too tight for the first pen.
I just use black ink, no need for any colors.
There's another technique called panel line wash, I think most pros use that one. It's also the only way to panel line black parts as a black ink pen won't work for them, instead you use a gray/silver color.

Bombless

Finally jumped on the GBF train. I would probably enjoy this much more if I knew all the suits they show, but it's awesome anyway!

Episode 7 was so good.
m8gpwsM.gif

Enron

Banned
You can use ink pens to panel line - i used to do this and I used pens you can get at craft/art stores. Most that go this route use Sakura Microns.

An easy way would be to just panel line with a wash. Once you've put that gloss coat on top of your painted kit and let it dry, you can dilute some color enamel (blacks or greys usually) with some solvent (enamel thinner or lighter fluid - yes, lighter fluid). It's important to remember to use enamels - a clear coat is usually going to be lacquer-based so you will want to use something on top of it with weaker solvents. You then just dip your brush or whatever into it and apply it to the lines on your kit - you dont even have to be careful, because you just clean up the excess with a swab soaked in thinner/solvent to clean it up. There's plenty of how-to's on this step.

tons of good tip sites. goodguydan's gunpla blog is pretty good. I suggest adding a cheapass HGUC kit (there are some for as little as 8 or 9 bucks) to your order next time you buy something from hlj or amazon or wherever to experiment with painting on.

It's not that hard if you are using spray cans or an airbrush. Do not attempt to handpaint unless its just for a few small pieces here and there, though. Shit's annoying.

Pretty much the steps are as follows.

1 Cut pieces off sprues.
2 Sand down any sprue nubs.
3 lay down primer on pieces (most folks attach each piece to a skewer via alligator clip or sticky tack and stick em in a foam block so you can spray em easier)
4 After that has dried, spray down color.
----
Always remember - you do not want to mix paint types together in such a way that a paint with a stronger solvent in it gets put on top of a weaker one. Paint strengths are as follows. Lacquers > Enamels > Acrylics. You can lay down a Lacquer primer and put an enamel or acrylic paint on top of it, for instance because the solvents in acryl and enamel are weaker than the lacquer. however, if you put down an enamel coat and then top it with lacquer, you might have some problems.
---
6 (optional) Gloss clear coat - decals and panel lining will be easier to do on a gloss surface
7 put down decals and panel lines
8 matte coat to seal your decals and panel lines

bam, you are done. nothing is really hard, its just REALLY time consuming. Acrylics take about 24 hours to cure fully, enamels about 48-72. Lacquers can cure pretty quick (less than a day) but i'd still give those about a day or so to cure to be safe. So when you are painting multiple coats, it can take a while.

Also remember - if using spray cans, paint in quick bursts and always keep your hand moving past the pieces. if you keep hovering over the same area while spraying you will have too much paint.

Hi, my first time posting here, I've been wanting to learn painting Gundam for a while now and I have some questions.

you mention curing time for up to a day. does that mean every time you put spray on, you should leave it for a daybefore doing something else?

so as in your step guide. I have to do primer > wait a day > base color > wait a day > masking and spray secondary color if there's any > wait a day> gloss coat > wait a day > panel lining/decal > final matte coat. is this generally the correct step for painting gundam model?

also another question about paint type. I have access to Tamiya spray paint and Gaia Color paints at the hobby store near me. I think Tamiya spray is arcylic? and Gaia color is lacquer? so I have to be careful when using both of these together?

Ken

Just arrived in the mail. First MG I will ever be assembling =D
Won't be painting, but I will be doing panel lining with a brush.

Nice. I personally don't like the Hi Nu much.

I want to get a MG soon...was eyeing the Sengoku Astray but preorders for it stopped on HLJ. D:

Mature

Hey, I didn't know this thread existed. Cool. *Subscribed*

Looking to probably get into building some Gunpla myself— hopefully there's some people in here who can throw some tips toward a beginner.

I thought it was a pretty cool fight this week, guys, but I don't think it really tops
Fellini vs Sei and Reiji.
It sure doesn't, but that specific fight was exceptional.

kitsuneyo

RG Freedom Gundam I'm currently making. I love RG, looks great without the need of painting and all. :)
they should make more of these. can't wait for RG Exia coming soon.

Looks pretty good! What method did you use for your panel lining?

You can use ink pens to panel line - i used to do this and I used pens you can get at craft/art stores. Most that go this route use Sakura Microns.

An easy way would be to just panel line with a wash...

Thanks for this.

Luigi87

Nice. I personally don't like the Hi Nu much.

I want to get a MG soon...was eyeing the Sengoku Astray but preorders for it stopped on HLJ. D:
I like Hi-Nu, but classic Nu is my favorite. I'm also not sure why Hi-Nu's design was changed to be less bulky compared to it's older art.

Enron

Banned
Hi, my first time posting here, I've been wanting to learn painting Gundam for a while now and I have some questions.

you mention curing time for up to a day. does that mean every time you put spray on, you should leave it for a daybefore doing something else?

Pretty much. Unless you are doing several coats of the same paint - then you can wait like a half day or so, until the paint is dry to the touch. But with can sprays I rarely have to do more than 1 coat. Airbrushing might be a different matter.

Remember - curing time refers to the amount of time it takes for the paint to dry completely, all the way down to the plastic. It will be dry to the touch after several hours, but that's not the same thing as fully cured.

so as in your step guide. I have to do primer > wait a day > base color > wait a day > masking and spray secondary color if there's any > wait a day> gloss coat > wait a day > panel lining/decal > final matte coat. is this generally the correct step for painting gundam model?

That's basically it, yes. if you are going to mask things, its important that you wait the full curing time for the paint out before you do that. You do not want to pull up any of the basecoat along with the tape. Always better to be safe than sorry.

also another question about paint type. I have access to Tamiya spray paint and Gaia Color paints at the hobby store near me. I think Tamiya spray is arcylic? and Gaia color is lacquer? so I have to be careful when using both of these together?

I believe all Tamiya sprays are Lacquer. I use them. Not so sure about Gaia Color.
You want to be sure you aren't applying Lacquer on top of an acryl or enamel.

Murrue looks better in GBF than she did in Sameface Seed.

Anyway, I started re-watching First Gundam today and I realized something about the prologue to the series.

It's literally one of the best scenes in any anime ever.

http://imgur.com/vQXHPC0

It's so well done. It is able to provide the viewer with enough information to jump into the setting, without overwhelming them and alienating them (this is no easy task to do). Furthermore, the audio and visuals presented are immediately striking, providing the emotional weight and tone the series would follow.

It's just so iconic. Even made more impressive by the fact the scene itself is only 55 seconds long

Murrue looks better in GBF than she did in Sameface Seed.

Anyway, I started re-watching First Gundam today and I realized something about the prologue to the series.

It's literally one of the best scenes in any anime ever.

http://imgur.com/vQXHPC0

It's so well done. It is able to provide the viewer with enough information to jump into the setting, without overwhelming them and alienating them (this is no easy task to do). Furthermore, the audio and visuals presented are immediately striking, providing the emotional weight and tone the series would follow.

It's just so iconic. Even made more impressive by the fact the scene itself is only 55 seconds long

You know it never hit me until recently. But damn did the Earth Federation lose much more than Zeon. Half their population on Earth vs Zeon's Space population on Side 3?

Being late to the Mobile Suit party also hurt but they got the Gundam out of it so I guess it worked out.

NEO0MJ

Man, I messed up my Z'Gok E paint job :(

You know it never hit me until recently. But damn did the Earth Federation lose much more than Zeon. Half their population on Earth vs Zeon's Space population on Side 3?

My guess is that the writer never thought that line through, he just wanted a cool prologue.

My guess is that the writer never thought that line through, he just wanted a cool prologue.

Half the population on Earth, which is not a correct interpretation of the statement, would be much better. At least half of the entire human race lives in space. All the other colonies outside of Side 3 fall under the purview of The Earth Federation.

The reason the population looses are so dramatic is because Zeon attacked and depopulated colonies and weren't attacking only earth. Which of course would lead to retaliation from the Federation leading to even more civilian casualties on their side.

I must have suffered some sort of near fatal brain injury that I don't remember because I actually really enjoyed episode 13 of Seed Destiny last night.

I... think it may be time to seriously contemplate suicide.

ZZ Gundam 03-04

This show is a goddamn riot.

Mashmyre is a goofball. Seriously, all I can think is that he's an Utena reject or something.

There's a suit in the wine crates? But why wine crates?! Why didn't you shroud it in roses instead?!

andymcc

Banned
I'm rewatching ZZ after just finishing a rewatch of Z and this show is a lot better than I give it credit for. You really appreciate how light-hearted it is in the beginning when juxtaposed with the heaviness of Z.

Jubern

I call to you, Gunpla builders, to help me :(

I'm building the Wing Fenice right now and in my excitement I forgot to put the seal in the center part before putting the transparent cover piece that covers it perfectly. Which means that I can't remove it now to put the seal :(

Is there something I can do? My girlfriend is suggesting heating the piece or something. Also, please keep in mind that I have basically no tools...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey guys, I'm not really a gundam head but I really do want to build a gundam model as it's been on my bucket list for years. Been doing a bit of research over the past few days and I think I'm ready and already have most of the tools people use.

80818712.jpeg

I've decided on the HG M1 Astray as my first build (aside from some failed attempts as a kid). Do you guys think the HG line is good for starters? I sort of don't want to go lower or get some of the beginner kits that are not as detailed and are a bit cheaper, and some of the MGs I want are too expensive.

More importantly, anyone order from HOBBYONE TOY SHOP JAPAN before on Amazon? Seems like it will save me a bit of money than ordering from HLJ and actually get it to me like 2 months earlier, but I'm generally worried being in Canada and ordering anything that isn't shipped from Canada itself.

I'm building the Wing Fenice right now and in my excitement I forgot to put the seal in the center part before putting the transparent cover piece that covers it perfectly. Which means that I can't remove it now to put the seal :(

Your best bet is to still probably try to take it apart. Usually more dedicated people cut the pegs on their kits to make them easier to take apart and do practice assembly runs before actually putting it together.

The most common methods for getting rid of seams and joining two pieces together is with welding glue that will melt the two pieces together. The other option would be putty, which you would have to paint as the color wouldn't match up.

You probably don't want to heat the plastic as it would burn, melt improperly, and might damage whatever it is you are using to heat it.

mingus

I call to you, Gunpla builders, to help me :(

Is there something I can do? My girlfriend is suggesting heating the piece or something. Also, please keep in mind that I have basically no tools...

depending on how snugly that clear piece goes into it, you could try prying it out with a needle. if you're afraid that might scratch up the plastic, an alternative is to drill a hole from behind and push out the piece that way, since any hole you're making is gonna be covered by the seal anyways.

apparently there are suction cups for contact lenses? maybe give that a try too.

Ezalc

So apparently my copy of Gundam FB has been in my city since at least the 10th, but may be taking a while to be delivered in part because of some customs problems or because of the fact that a lot of the mail workers are on strike.

Gonna try to see if I can find out which agency it's in so I can go pick it up.

CorvoSol

More like everyone in Utena is a ZZ reject.

Wait which half of ZZ are we talking about?

Cuz in the first half everybody's fairly scaled back. As scaled back as Mashmyre and Chara can be.

Now, endgame ZZ Mashmyre and Chara. That right there was some David Bowie stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom