• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubern

Your best bet is to still probably try to take it apart. Usually more dedicated people cut the pegs on their kits to make them easier to take apart and do practice assembly runs before actually putting it together.

The most common methods for getting rid of seams and joining two pieces together is with welding glue that will melt the two pieces together. The other option would be putty, which you would have to paint as the color wouldn't match up.

You probably don't want to heat the plastic as it would burn, melt improperly, and might damage whatever it is you are using to heat it.

depending on how snugly that clear piece goes into it, you could try prying it out with a needle. if you're afraid that might scratch up the plastic, an alternative is to drill a hole from behind and push out the piece that way, since any hole you're making is gonna be covered by the seal anyways.

apparently there are suction cups for contact lenses? maybe give that a try too.

Thank you guys. I think making a hole behind is the best idea, I'll try that :D

I finished basic assembly but I need to buy something to put the really little decals. No painting or anything for me, I'm pretty happy with the thing as it is.

what scale is that exia

1/100

IMG_20140214_225213_zpsu0cztykv.jpg
Here it is next to a more normal mug.

Also I just finished the Zeta remaster movies. What exactly was changed about the ending from the original?

1/100

Here it is next to a more normal mug.

Also I just finished the Zeta remaster movies. What exactly was changed about the ending from the original?

A lot.

In the original ending, as he is dying, Paptimus uses a psychic attack to cause brain damage to Kamille. The show ends with Fa finding Kamille unconscious and taking him back to the Argama.

Furthermore, Axis doesn't retreat or anything. In fact, in the first episode of ZZ, you find out they do the opposite. Axis presses their attack, now completely unchallenged by the AEUG (who was heavily damaged in the battle) and the Titans (who were wiped out completely)

Aizo

Banned
So uhhh ...

Are all mugs in Japan this small?
No, but cups are just small sometimes in Japan. I'm sick of being served tiny water glasses. ;_;
So apparently my copy of Gundam FB has been in my city since at least the 10th, but may be taking a while to be delivered in part because of some customs problems or because of the fact that a lot of the mail workers are on strike.

Gonna try to see if I can find out which agency it's in so I can go pick it up.
They're playing your game!
Here's the beast! Love it.
Sorry for the lack of any kind of polishing lol
So many Tales games. How long have you been living in Japan?

A lot.

In the original ending, as he is dying, Paptimus uses a psychic attack to cause brain damage to Kamille. The show ends with Fa finding Kamille unconscious and taking him back to the Argama.

That reminded me, I didn't think anything could top how Char
executed Kycilia
at the end of the original series but seeing
the nosecone of the Zeta actually impale Cirico
was pretty close.

Hey guys, I'm not really a gundam head but I really do want to build a gundam model as it's been on my bucket list for years. Been doing a bit of research over the past few days and I think I'm ready and already have most of the tools people use.

80818712.jpeg

I've decided on the HG M1 Astray as my first build (aside from some failed attempts as a kid). Do you guys think the HG line is good for starters? I sort of don't want to go lower or get some of the beginner kits that are not as detailed and are a bit cheaper, and some of the MGs I want are too expensive.

More importantly, anyone order from HOBBYONE TOY SHOP JAPAN before on Amazon? Seems like it will save me a bit of money than ordering from HLJ and actually get it to me like 2 months earlier, but I'm generally worried being in Canada and ordering anything that isn't shipped from Canada itself.

I haven't ordered any gundams off of amazon, so I'm not sure, but that gundam should be pretty easy for a beginner since its a 1/144 so not as many pieces. You shouldn't have any problem with the piece. I wouldn't really worry about details since as your first gundam, what you build won't look exactly like the picture.

Also you should invest in some sand paper, an exacto knife, and a pair of cutters to help you out. This site has pics of the tools you need to start out and a starting tutorial.

I got my f91 the other day and my mg unicorn. I also found out the hobby shop close by sells gundam models so hopefully I can pick up models from them. They had a bunch of tamiya paints, so I'll be going in another time to chat with the gundam people there to learn how to paint. I forgot to get gundam markers so I gotta pick those up

Bebpo

Banned
I started watching AGE again (bailed after AGE2 era when it was airing) and I dunno, maybe it's just been a while or lowered expectations but I'm enjoying it. It's nice to watch a real war-based gundam show again. Been too long...

I like build fighters from what I've seen, but I hope after it and Unicorn end this year, they'll give us a new original gundam series in a year or two. Miss being excited for new units and upgrades :(

Bombless

I started watching AGE again (bailed after AGE2 era when it was airing) and I dunno, maybe it's just been a while or lowered expectations but I'm enjoying it. It's nice to watch a real war-based gundam show again. Been too long...

I like build fighters from what I've seen, but I hope after it and Unicorn end this year, they'll give us a new original gundam series in a year or two. Miss being excited for new units and upgrades :(

Wasn't there a press conference towards the end of the month about a Gundam announcement?

Enron

Banned
So i fucking hate gunpla again. Spent 6 hours removing paint from sinanju to expose the Sleeve detail. So much scrubbing. Modelmasters Gloss enamels in a can suck so much dick. This shit went on super-thick. Im never using this garbage again. I should have just used regular matte black and then clearcoated to match the shine of the titanium finished pieces.

12582942575_21d4195331.jpg

It needs some touch up here and there, but even with the not-exact job i did, it still looks loads better than the shitty large paper stickers that bandai wants you to stick on top of raised detailed pieces (what the fuck!).

I mean, look at this shit.

12583170555_ee8fff0a55_z.jpg

They actually want you to stick these things on surfaces with raised detail. Half the time they wont even stick because of the raised areas, the edges come up. Die screaming in a fire, Bandai.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I haven't ordered any gundams off of amazon, so I'm not sure, but that gundam should be pretty easy for a beginner since its a 1/144 so not as many pieces. You shouldn't have any problem with the piece. I wouldn't really worry about details since as your first gundam, what you build won't look exactly like the picture.

Also you should invest in some sand paper, an exacto knife, and a pair of cutters to help you out. This site has pics of the tools you need to start out and a starting tutorial.

I got my f91 the other day and my mg unicorn. I also found out the hobby shop close by sells gundam models so hopefully I can pick up models from them. They had a bunch of tamiya paints, so I'll be going in another time to chat with the gundam people there to learn how to paint. I forgot to get gundam markers so I gotta pick those up
Thanks for replying. Part of the reason why I'm ready to do this is I have a lot of that stuff lying around (side cutters, sand paper, hobby knife, etc.). Do 1/100 really have that many more pieces or are they just bigger? Was kind of feeling the size of those more but on average they're more expensive.

My order just shipped today and should arrive in about two weeks, I'm excited :D Think I want to paint it too, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself.

Thanks for replying. Part of the reason why I'm ready to do this is I have a lot of that stuff lying around (side cutters, sand paper, hobby knife, etc.). Do 1/100 really have that many more pieces or are they just bigger? Was kind of feeling the size of those more but on average they're more expensive.

My order just shipped today and should arrive in about two weeks, I'm excited :D Think I want to paint it too, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself.

Here is a pic of my 1/44 f91 and 1/100 unicorn box just for perspective. So yea there are more pieces that are bigger as well

Ken

Yeah, 1/100s will have bigger pieces than a 1/144; that's just how scaling works. MGs also generally have a higher parts count too due to the inclusion of an inner frame skeleton as well as higher detail on things like weapons; a beam rifle could take 2 parts to complete in the HG version, but might have 5+ in the MG version. Real Grades are a nice step in between HGs and MGs if you aren't willing to put the money into an MG yet.

So i fucking hate gunpla again. Spent 6 hours removing paint from sinanju to expose the Sleeve detail. So much scrubbing. Modelmasters Gloss enamels in a can suck so much dick. This shit went on super-thick. Im never using this garbage again. I should have just used regular matte black and then clearcoated to match the shine of the titanium finished pieces.

12582942575_21d4195331.jpg

It needs some touch up here and there, but even with the not-exact job i did, it still looks loads better than the shitty large paper stickers that bandai wants you to stick on top of raised detailed pieces (what the fuck!).

I mean, look at this shit.

12583170555_ee8fff0a55_z.jpg

They actually want you to stick these things on surfaces with raised detail. Half the time they wont even stick because of the raised areas, the edges come up. Die screaming in a fire, Bandai.

how do you remove paint? and what do you mean by scrubbing it. I thought usually people simply use masking tape to cover the gold area before paint it black? it looks great btw

Enron

Banned
how do you remove paint? and what do you mean by scrubbing it. I thought usually people simply use masking tape to cover the gold area before paint it black? it looks great btw

Thanks for the compliment! It took much longer than I thought, and despite the shitty paint i chose, it ended up looking pretty decent.

The technique is called a "reverse wash". what you do is you prime and spray down your "detail" color (I used lacquer just to be safe since we will be putting a solvent on top of that).

Once that has dried, you spray down a gloss clear-coat. This will make the top layer of paint MUCH MUCH easier to remove.

After that has dried, you spray your primary color (for sinanju chest/arm/knees that would be black, in this case gloss black to match the shiny finish of the titanium kit) as an enamel (needs to be a weaker paint than the top coat you just sprayed since nearly all top coat is lacquer-based).

I let that dry for about 5 or 6 hours - enough for the black enamel to dry a bit but not cure fully as this makes it easier to remove.

Then, i took some hobby swabs (you have to use hobby swabs - they are really fine and are wound REALLY tight so you dont get cotton fibers stuck in the somewhat-still-tacky paint surface), soaked them in some enamel thinner, and then started rubbing that VERY CAREFULLY on the raised detal of the Sleeve pieces. The black paint will come off, revealing the gold underneath.

Here's a good how-to.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Here's the beast! Love it.

Sorry for the lack of any kind of polishing lol

Is that the HG from Build Fighters? (Fellini's?)

I saw that at the shop and really want to wait til they get in the Plavsky Particles Build Strike, but Fellini's is awesome (also waiting for Meijin's and Aila's)

Finally have time after about a year to start modelling again. My first project? Panda Beargguy custom!

That was the second Gumpla I ever put together. Warning....... there's a section on the legs that is WAY TOO TIGHT. I put the first leg together and there were some white-ish stress marks on the piece.. I was pissed and when I was putting the other one on I approached it like 20 different ways to see if I screwed up the first one some how... not that I could tell, so the second one went on (the only way it could go on) with the same white-ish stress marks. Very minor but yeah... I was pretty pissed. Not sure if there is a safe way to warm up the pieces first to avoid the stress marks.

Here is the one I am currently putting together (the valvrave.. yeah I know this is the gundam thread, but whatever :p)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is that the HG from Build Fighters? (Fellini's?)

I saw that at the shop and really want to wait til they get in the Plavsky Particles Build Strike, but Fellini's is awesome (also waiting for Meijin's and Aila's)

That was the second Gumpla I ever put together. Warning....... there's a section on the legs that is WAY TOO TIGHT. I put the first leg together and there were some white-ish stress marks on the piece.. I was pissed and when I was putting the other one on I approached it like 20 different ways to see if I screwed up the first one some how... not that I could tell, so the second one went on (the only way it could go on) with the same white-ish stress marks. Very minor but yeah... I was pretty pissed. Not sure if there is a safe way to warm up the pieces first to avoid the stress marks.

Here is the one I am currently putting together (the valvrave.. yeah I know this is the gundam thread, but whatever :p)

The first major model I assembled was the MG Shin Musha. I'm not going to paint him yet because it's been a while since I've picked up my airbrush and I REALLY don't want to ruin such a fantastic model.

As for fit-up, once I'm done test fitting the Beargguy, I'll have to make some decisions on what to do. I don't post my models, so I may just turn to super glue to make sure the legs don't give me a headache.

Beth Cyra

Just watched Strike Vs Astray.

It was good, real good and easily better then Strike Vs X. My biggest problem is alot of it is recycled from Strike Vs Wing, so it made the fight feel kinda been there and done that. I think it's biggest problem is it lacks any variance, during S V W they make use of multiple fighting types and both in the air and the land.

This just has the last 2 minutes of Wing V Strike stretched out into the entire fight. I guess if you really love Nils or Astray this will probably edge out Zaku v Strike and S V W, but overall for me it didn't live up to the those two fights.

I know someone here has a copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. I'm wondering if whoever has a copy would be winning to help me unlock the Online trophies in the game.

PM me for a time and we can get to playing. :D

mingus

Thanks for the compliment! It took much longer than I thought, and despite the shitty paint i chose, it ended up looking pretty decent.

The technique is called a "reverse wash". what you do is you prime and spray down your "detail" color (I used lacquer just to be safe since we will be putting a solvent on top of that).

Once that has dried, you spray down a gloss clear-coat. This will make the top layer of paint MUCH MUCH easier to remove.

After that has dried, you spray your primary color (for sinanju chest/arm/knees that would be black, in this case gloss black to match the shiny finish of the titanium kit) as an enamel (needs to be a weaker paint than the top coat you just sprayed since nearly all top coat is lacquer-based).

I let that dry for about 5 or 6 hours - enough for the black enamel to dry a bit but not cure fully as this makes it easier to remove.

Then, i took some hobby swabs (you have to use hobby swabs - they are really fine and are wound REALLY tight so you dont get cotton fibers stuck in the somewhat-still-tacky paint surface), soaked them in some enamel thinner, and then started rubbing that VERY CAREFULLY on the raised detal of the Sleeve pieces. The black paint will come off, revealing the gold underneath.

Here's a good how-to.

this is so much better than masking my god

borghe

Just watched Strike Vs Astray.

It was good, real good and easily better then Strike Vs X. My biggest problem is alot of it is recycled from Strike Vs Wing, so it made the fight feel kinda been there and done that. I think it's biggest problem is it lacks any variance, during S V W they make use of multiple fighting types and both in the air and the land.

This just has the last 2 minutes of Wing V Strike stretched out into the entire fight. I guess if you really love Nils or Astray this will probably edge out Zaku v Strike and S V W, but overall for me it didn't live up to the those two fights.

build fighters? imho
sniper vs. kampfer
is hands down best of the series so far, and one of the best 1v1 mech fights I've ever seen (not to mention the score during it is amazing and the first time I've heard it in build fighters)

borghe

As for fit-up, once I'm done test fitting the Beargguy, I'll have to make some decisions on what to do. I don't post my models, so I may just turn to super glue to make sure the legs don't give me a headache.
Found a pic I posted to instagram. If you look on his thigh section you can see the stress marks. The piece in question inserts into that shell.. so glue won't help, but if you are painting it then it shouldn't matter I think.

Beth Cyra

build fighters? imho
sniper vs. kampfer
is hands down best of the series so far, and one of the best 1v1 mech fights I've ever seen (not to mention the score during it is amazing and the first time I've heard it in build fighters)
Haven't watched that one. Despite my love for the pilot, I just don't like that suit, and never have so I skipped watching that fight.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Found a pic I posted to instagram. If you look on his thigh section you can see the stress marks. The piece in question inserts into that shell.. so glue won't help, but if you are painting it then it shouldn't matter I think.

Yeah, I'm painting him, so maybe it will help. Thanks for the visual - definitely something I'll keep in mind!

I just built this last week, lol.

I ended up giving to my girlfriend for V-day

Gawd damn - that's the one I saw when I was searching for inspiration on paint schemes. I will be buying this kit because it's all sorts of adorable.

Beth Cyra

Are there any models that come already built (as in action figure)

Action figures of Gundam's? If so you have the Robot Damashii line which is very good. Doesn't hold up the scale by series very well, but overall quality is high.

There is also the Metal Build Series, not a great deal of them but the quality is crazy high. Also very expensive.

GFF line is also another option. However it's almost exclusively UC suits, there are the occasional AU releases like Wing Gundam EW, God Gundam, and Strike.

Or do you mean a Model that is actually like a Bandai Model kit just pre built? You could by them off of Ebay but thats it as far as I know.

Protag

Banned
Action figures of Gundam's? If so you have the Robot Damashii line which is very good. Doesn't hold up the scale by series very well, but overall quality is high.

There is also the Metal Build Series, not a great deal of them but the quality is crazy high. Also very expensive.

GFF line is also another option. However it's almost exclusively UC suits, there are the occasional AU releases like Wing Gundam EW, God Gundam, and Strike.

Or do you mean a Model that is actually like a Bandai Model kit just pre built? You could by them off of Ebay but thats it as far as I know.

Very informative, thank you. I was referring to what you listed here actually yes. Its pretty intomidating assembling all those pieves fro the ground up, even thought it looks fun.

Im looking for a real good figure of RX-0 Unicorn, and sinanju, as well as black unicorn, they are some gorgeous suits imo

Beth Cyra

Very informative, thank you. I was referring to what you listed here actually yes. Its pretty intomidating assembling all those pieves fro the ground up, even thought it looks fun.

Im looking for a real good figure of RX-0 Unicorn, and sinanju, as well as black unicorn, they are some gorgeous suits imo

If that is the case, then I would highly recommend the Robot Damashii Unicorn Gundam Action Version, Robot Damashii Sinanju Animation Version, and Robot Damashii Banshee Norn.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN970977/Gun

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN985257/Gun

http://gginfinite.com/Robot-Damashii-Side-MS-Sinanju-Animation-Edition.html

Its intimidating but not difficult really. You just have to be patient and follow the instructions. In terms of model building, gunpla is amongst the easiest. Ive built over 20 gunpla kits of various grades. All of them not too hard. Just a little time consuming (most hg kits can be assembled in 6 to 8 hours if you just snap to together). I tried building a ww2 plane a while back. Couldnt do it.

borghe

I just built this last week, lol.

I ended up giving to my girlfriend for V-day

I have that one waiting after I finish up Valvrave. :D I take it from the looks of it you did the panel lines? Did you just use a gundam marker? if so what color?

Enron

Banned

Robot Damashii line, then. There's like 2-3 different figures each for unicorn/banshee/sinanju. They are kinda pricey and will run you about 30-40 bucks but the detail and articulation are both good.

Aizo

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing that Sinanju finished, Enron! The chest looks phenomenal!

Finally have time after about a year to start modelling again. My first project? Panda Beargguy custom!
Panda? Are you going to paint it like a panda? that would be silly/cool.
I know someone here has a copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. I'm wondering if whoever has a copy would be winning to help me unlock the Online trophies in the game.

PM me for a time and we can get to playing. :D
Vita or PS3?

Hey, guys! Gundam Build Fighters got me in the spirit to build a model so I ordered one of these:

Pretty excited to build it! After that, it'll be time for my Mass Production EVA~
Do you guys have any recommendations for a first-time painter?

Zerojul

Here's a good how-to.

Awesome technique. I'd like to try that sometime. Does anyone know if the MG Sinanju uses stickers like the HGUC one does ?

NEO0MJ

Pretty excited to build it! After that, it'll be time for my Mass Production EVA~
Do you guys have any recommendations for a first-time painter?

You're gonna need a lot of supplies. Primers, paints, thinners, the works. Check out this link for some tips.

Awesome technique. I'd like to try that sometime. Does anyone know if the MG Sinanju uses stickers like the HGUC one does ?

Yep, the MG figure also has stickers.

Wow, those are some cool-looking model kits. I used to make Gundam model kits until a few years back. They're too much work, especially for someone who doesn't enjoy painting and applying decals. I switched to buying Gundam FIX Figuration and Zeonography action figures, but unfortunately that particular line seems to have petered out and been replaced y the Ka Signature Robot Damashii figures, which don't look nearly as nice (even though they're admittedly much more durable and solid) and which are far too expensive due to being limited web shop items...

Anyone else collect figures instead of assemble model kits?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Panda? Are you going to paint it like a panda? that would be silly/cool.

Of course! I don't like OOB building because it never looks "right". I was going to finish the snap-fit last night, but I decided to hang some mirrors and pictures around the house to butter my wife up to the idea of a paint shelf that I want to hang. She said yes, so I'm going to spend the next few days building that so I can store all my model paint. Once THAT'S done, I'll move forward with Panda Beargguy!

borghe

ok, after I finish up the two models I have left I want to get one MG or RG (first of either) under my belt before the weather shapes up and spring fever sets in. so looking for some help. What are some of your favorite Master Grades?

Zerojul

My two cents :
If you're looking for a simple build I really liked the GP03.
I just finished the Nu Gundam Ver.Ka and I think it's awesome, too.
The Ex-S is huge and delicate but I think it's absolutely stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom