• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Looks like the teased mobile suit at the end of the Missing Link trailer wasn't BD-01 but an original unit: the RX-80PR Pale Rider.

The US version of that side story is different, if it's the one I'm thinking of. That's the one that includes the RX-78-4 and RX-78-5, right?

It's the same thing in both versions. There is a manga based on the side story game called Space, To the End of a Flash.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam:_Encounters_in_Space
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Side_Story:_Space,_To_the_End_of_a_Flash

I have the NA version of the game as well as the Japanese Limited Edition boxset. Same game in both.

It's the same thing in both versions. There is a manga based on the side story game called Space, To the End of a Flash.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam:_Encounters_in_Space
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Side_Story:_Space,_To_the_End_of_a_Flash

I have the NA version of the game as well as the Japanese Limited Edition boxset. Same game in both.

I meant that the title of the side story was changed for the US version. I just remember the missions in the US version being referred to as the Thoroughbred missions.

Look what came in the mail today for your truly:
9Kplb8B.jpg

I was a little hesitant about picking this up. I'm a huge Tomino fan (apologist?), but even I'm not sure I could handle him completely unleashed and unfiltered. Even still, I really want to see what the novel is about and I have for a while.

I read part of the first chapter already and it was pretty interesting so far. Very different from the show, which I expected. So I can't wait to see what else this has in store for me

Edit: im at the part where shit hits the fan at side 7. Brutal stuff.

one of Amuros friends, a dude named sean, is hit by debris. It describes his intestines unravelling as he falls down a cliff

not to mention amuros CO encouraging them to survive and win the war so that they can rape zeon women.

Enron

Banned
Nearly done with the Titanium Finish 1/144 Sinanju. Took nearly 5 hours just to put together. This damn thing is like a smaller master grade - the tooling on modern HG kits is really impressive from when I last did a HGUC back around 2001 or so.

I fucked up the black/gold inner shield, so i stripped that off this afternoon and ill have to hit the hobby store for some more paint. The main body is all complete, though. I'm really pleased with how the reverse-washed neo-zeon sleeve detail came out.

12671359843_55508c4b45_c.jpg

12671222865_28c7ab8e61_b.jpg

I was going to do the thrusters metallic, with a coat of clear red for the interiors, but after doing the all the Sleeve detail I was like "lol nope" and decided against it.

Also make note of the stand - it's the GP Base from Build Fighters! Cool, right? BZZZT. Wrong. This thing is a piece of shit. It can't hold the sinanju up at all. Avoid this junk and stick with the Action bases.

Just finished working on the Mass-Production EVA for the night.

Two hours.
It took me two hours to get the feet and the alternate head looking like I wanted them too.

It was so much fun. I am loving it oh so much. lol
Especially with the Gundam Marker. Fuuuuuuuuuuck handpainting them lines.
I can't believe I used to do that shit with model cars.
NO. NO MORE. I HAVE SEEN GOD AND HE HAS GUNDAM MARKERS.

Ken

Nearly done with the Titanium Finish 1/144 Sinanju. Took nearly 5 hours just to put together. This damn thing is like a smaller master grade - the tooling on modern HG kits is really impressive from when I last did a HGUC back around 2001 or so.

I fucked up the black/gold inner shield, so i stripped that off this afternoon and ill have to hit the hobby store for some more paint. The main body is all complete, though. I'm really pleased with how the reverse-washed neo-zeon sleeve detail came out.

I was going to do the thrusters metallic, with a coat of clear red for the interiors, but after doing the all the Sleeve detail I was like "lol nope" and decided against it.

Also make note of the stand - it's the GP Base from Build Fighters! Cool, right? BZZZT. Wrong. This thing is a piece of shit. It can't hold the sinanju up at all. Avoid this junk and stick with the Action bases.

Nice. :eek:

I almost bought the same kit from HLJ but then they might have the MG Titanium Finish one in stock soon too so I held off.

I'm really liking that metallic finish you've got there. Shame the GP Base isn't good, I was thinking of getting that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

12671359843_55508c4b45_c.jpg

12671222865_28c7ab8e61_b.jpg

So here's the thing...

First off, your work looks absolutely stunning. It's simply gorgeous, so kudos to you! Do you aribrush? If so, what brand of paints were you using for the reverse wash? I paint almost exclusively with Tamiya Acrylics, but I need to get a few enamels for reverse washing.

Second, this is NO slam to you, but as cool as that kit looks, I'm bored of the color scheme. I'm guessing that's the color of the gundam in the anime? That's the only thing I've ever seen. As I said, you've done an incredible job with it, but the gundam as a whole is boring to me now. If I ever grab a Sinanju, I will probably fall into the trap of doing a candy red like you have because it's an excuse to practice and get a great display with that color...But even then.

Enron

Banned
I didn't airbrush anything on the sinanju. It was the titanium kit so most of it was molded in color/titanium finish, but since i was dissatisfied with the black/gold detail stickers that bandai give you for all of that detail, i decided to paint all that myself. So really I only painted about 16 pieces on the entire kit.

Edit: Paint I used - Tamiya Gold TS-21 for the 1st coat. Then I topcoated that with Mr Super Clear Gloss. Then I painted Modelmaster Gloss Black over that (i used the spray can for this, do not get this paint, its horrible and thick and gloopy). The MM is an enamel, so after about 5 hours or so i took some swabs soaked in enamel thinner and "rubbed off" the black paint on the raised details and edges, revealing the gold underneath

andymcc

Banned
hey guys, I'm putting together an RG Zaku-II. Started assembling the SON OF A BITCH leg hoses and realized one of the pieces was pre-snapped on the tree.

Any tips for reassembling a piece this small? I'm going to build around the hoses for now until i can get this fixed. thanks in advance.

duckroll

Yeah the Neo Zeong is a really awful joke design. Like many of the Unicorn designs, it feels a bit too try-hard in terms of going "bigger and more complex" in the UC style. There's a point where self-homage descents into self-parody instead.

andymcc

Banned
Yeah the Neo Zeong is a really awful joke design. Like many of the Unicorn designs, it feels a bit too try-hard in terms of going "bigger and more complex" in the UC style. There's a point where self-homage descents into self-parody instead.

"Legs aren't for show-- just feet!"

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
hey guys, I'm putting together an RG Zaku-II. Started assembling the SON OF A BITCH leg hoses and realized one of the pieces was pre-snapped on the tree.

Any tips for reassembling a piece this small? I'm going to build around the hoses for now until i can get this fixed. thanks in advance.

You can try superglue or plastic glue to melt the pieces together, but it's going to be tough. With small pieces, when they snap, you have to get creative. I'm not familiar with the kit - is it a piece that you can glue into place on both ends to still get the effect of the hose? You can't really use putty because the piece is way too small.

Zerojul

It's a Katoki Hajime design, right ? I'm such a sucker for his work that all of his designs usually get a free pass with me. This one doesn't...

Enron

Banned
"Legs aren't for show-- just feet!"

It's so horrible, it almost looks like a gag from Gundam-san. But it's not.

Ugggggh Real Grade Zaku. That was my first kit back into Gunpla in the fall. I painted about 20 pieces of it and its still sitting on the workbench. So many tiny pieces i just got annoyed and quit for the time being.

andymcc

Banned
You can try superglue or plastic glue to melt the pieces together, but it's going to be tough. With small pieces, when they snap, you have to get creative. I'm not familiar with the kit - is it a piece that you can glue into place on both ends to still get the effect of the hose? You can't really use putty because the piece is way too small.

no, because the hose has to inserted into the piece itself, it's too short to span from the "calve" to above the "knee" on its own. i don't think it's going to go back together with ease.

I might just have to order the piece individually. anyone know of any good, reputable/lower priced parts stores?

andymcc

Banned
Ugggggh Real Grade Zaku. That was my first kit back into Gunpla in the fall. I painted about 20 pieces of it and its still sitting on the workbench. So many tiny pieces i just got annoyed and quit for the time being.

I put together the Gundam Mk. II a few weeks ago, thought this would be about the same level of difficulty...... I've assembled a leg and I'm frustrated as hell.

mingus

holy jeebs that just dashed my plans to get an RG. maybe you can try making a hole with a pin and inserting part of a paperclip or something.

andymcc

Banned
holy jeebs that just dashed my plans to get an RG. maybe you can try making a hole with a pin and inserting part of a paperclip or something.

the corded wire is so short on the hose that i imagine moving the damn things leg and all of its beads popping off.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This was my other thought. If you have a pin vice, you should be able to make it work. If not, you may want to invest in a pin vice.

Enron

Banned
andy - you can buy aftermarket detail pieces for zakus, and the zaku hoses are like the #1 thing they make them for. Might be worth it to order an upclass set of metal zaku hoses or something. I am thinking about doing this for my zaku, simply because i dont want to deal with all the little rings.

andymcc

Banned
andy - you can buy aftermarket detail pieces for zakus, and the zaku hoses are like the #1 thing they make them for. Might be worth it to order an upclass set of metal zaku hoses or something. I am thinking about doing this for my zaku, simply because i dont want to deal with all the little rings.

this is probably what i'll do, thanks for the info!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Where do you GET these aftermarket parts? I always see people doing resin and metal extra parts, but no idea where folks get them. Same with crazy rare resin recasts of things like Five Star Stories and such. NO idea where to find that stuff in the US.

Enron

Banned
Where do you GET these aftermarket parts? I always see people doing resin and metal extra parts, but no idea where folks get them. Same with crazy rare resin recasts of things like Five Star Stories and such. NO idea where to find that stuff in the US.

Dunno about resin recasts and whatnot - I was primarily talking about meta detail/upclass parts for gunpla. HLJ is the first place i go. Some of the NA gundam shops have them too, but hlj is usually cheaper.

That's almost Zanscare levels of bad.

But that semi transparent Unicorn model at the end was nifty.

Is it a giant motor bike cruising through space? Does it have a beam rotor? No? It ain't got shit on the Zanscare Empire, you got to bring like you mean it to even think about getting close to insane stylings of the Zanscare Empire.

One thing I dont get is why are there big ass boosters on everything now? Sazabi had little ones true but now they are ridiculous

Those aren't boosters, those are propellant tanks. Presumably full of Helium 3. Lifted directly from

nz-333.jpg

Beth Cyra

It's a Katoki Hajime design, right ? I'm such a sucker for his work that all of his designs usually get a free pass with me. This one doesn't...

I'm usually the same, Katoki does such amazing work that I'm almost always good for it. This shit however is just BAAAAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom