• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
fullfrontal_1678.jpg

...."penis."

Beth Cyra

The new pics on Gundamguy look really disappointing. Looks like it doesn't even have RG's characteristic color separation and the shoulders have nothing going on at all.

Honestly I don't see that big an issue with Exia, it's more a common trend that just seems to be increasing with Exia's release, so nothing all that shocking.

Going over my Strike, Freedom, Destiny, Gundam, and Titans Mk II you can see that the color separation has slowly gone down. It's still better then MG's, but still it seems as though it's going to be rare case of a RG getting the 78-2 level of color separation.

Still I think Exia will get alittle better before release. Going to look at the head again, I will say it does seem rather odd. Almost like it's just to big, and softer instead of the sharper look I expected. That said I'm not an Exia fan, so I could be completely off on it's head sculpt and what people want out of it.

Protag

Banned
The 08th MS team takes place during the one year war, but i thought the RX-78 was one of its kind. How is there an RX-79 piloted by Amada? am i missing something?

The 08th MS team takes place during the one year war, but i thought the RX-78 was one of its kind. How is there an RX-79 piloted by Amada? am i missing something?

Retcons, yo.

Gundam Wiki said:
While Project V was underway, the Federation also began production of experimental units using spare parts originally intended for the RX-78 Gundam. Using these parts they built approximately twenty specialized ground combat-model christened the RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type during the mid-part UC 0079. The RX-78 development program, in addition to the experimental RX-78 Gundam series, managed to generate a significant stockpile of mobile suit parts. The Federation, not wanting to have such parts go to waste, used these stockpiles to create a line of pre-production mobile suits used to field test mobile suit tactics. In order to cut down on costs, most of the armaments and parts of the Gundam Ground Type were also used for the RGM-79[G] GM Ground Type.

Though in many ways similar to its RX-78-2 predecessor, the RX-79[G] was quite a bit different in other ways, particularly in its armament. The beam sabers were stored in the legs, as the backpack mounted an equipment rack to carry storage containers, parachute packs, or other field options. The head vulcan guns were removed, as the head now carried a periscope for underwater and trench warfare. Although sporting a smaller generator than the RX-78, the Ground Type Gundam still had the generator power to use a beam rifle, though it was often equipped with a standard 100mm machinegun or a heavy 180mm cannon. A single vulcan gun and a multiple-use "multi-launcher" mounted in the torso's left breast rounded out the new armament. In order to make use of space, two extra ammunition magazines for the machinegun were placed on the sideskirt armor.

As the RX-79[G] was built out of spare parts from Project V, replacements parts were very limited. Luckily the RGM-79[G] shared 80% of the same parts as the Gundam, making field repairs easier but sometimes resulted in a few customized mobile suits.

Still I think Exia will get alittle better before release. Going to look at the head again, I will say it does seem rather odd. Almost like it's just to big, and softer instead of the sharper look I expected. That said I'm not an Exia fan, so I could be completely off on it's head sculpt and what people want out of it.

To me the head is the worst part. I guess I could swallow the bitterness of a lack of different shades of blue and white and the ugly shoulders but that head sculpt is just terrible. It just looks so soft and weak. Even the old HG Exia has a more imposing and defined look to it despite lacking some details.

I hope this is a badly fucked up prototype with a non-finalized design. At least the GN sword looks okay.

Beth Cyra

To me the head is the worst part. I guess I could swallow the bitterness of a lack of different shades of blue and white and the ugly shoulders but that head sculpt is just terrible. It just looks so soft and weak. Even the old HG Exia has a more imposing and defined look to it despite lacking some details.

I hope this is a badly fucked up prototype with a non-finalized design. At least the GN sword looks okay.

Yeah, doesn't seem quite right. Still though, given Exia's popularity I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes.

More interested in seeing what UC suit they will go with in July.

Beth Cyra

Hyaku Shiki. #believe

Or they'll start making Unicorn units to celebrate the final episode's release.

I would be in for a Shiki, but honestly will be extremely disappointed if the jump from Zeta to Unicorn and skip Alex and ZZ.

Also the July release usually tends to be the less popular RG release for the year, if Unicorn is coming then surely its November.

One of the many reasons I don't like 08 ms team. If they wanted a grunt show they should have been using gms

CorvoSol

I feel like there were actually nearly 30 Gundams in employment during the OYW? I mean there's Amuro's, the Alex, and the ones in use by the 08th MS Team. Because unlike in AGE where Flit hoards Gundam tech to ensure that his lineage will continue its dictatorship over mankind, the Earth Federation actually bothered to produce more than one of its super useful mecha.

One of the many reasons I don't like 08 ms team. If they wanted a grunt show they should have been using gms

I remember reading somewhere that the creative team originally wanted to do a show featuring only GM but Bandai/Sunrise told them they had to include Gundams for merchandising purposes. Hence the Groundtype Gundam.

You know, I've been out of the Gunpla game for a long time. I wanna get back in. Gonna but a marker, cutter, and knife.

Now, what kit should I buy? I dig regular Gundams, no Zakus or anything. Zeta and Unicorn designs are my favorite, but I just want something that'll look nice on a shelf, and won't turn me back away from Gunpla lol.

Suggestions?

Edit:

What are good kits for kids that require no paint to look cool?

Retcons, yo.

Whatever they had a stupid amount of spare parts kicking around that they had to spend time destroying in the first episode.

At least that's better than "Hey we had a whole totally different White Base and TWO gundams on it! Take that!"

I feel like there were actually nearly 30 Gundams in employment during the OYW?
There are 7 real gundams followed by various crappy hand me downs like Ground Gundam that the 8th MS team and Blue Destiny got. Alex doesn't actually count as a Gundam in the one year war. Since it's development started way later and wasn't actually finished even after the war ended and before it got blown up. Also different model number and all that.

Beth Cyra

You know, I've been out of the Gunpla game for a long time. I wanna get back in. Gonna but a marker, cutter, and knife.

Now, what kit should I buy? I dig regular Gundams, no Zakus or anything. Zeta and Unicorn designs are my favorite, but I just want something that'll look nice on a shelf, and won't turn me back away from Gunpla lol.

Suggestions?
HGUC Unicorn, Jesta, and Gundam MK II. If those work out for you and you're not feeling burn out then I'd say MG Unicorn or HGUC Kyshatriya.

Protag

Banned

Exactly, its like the writers thought if there werent any Gundam models making an appearance, no one would have been interested.

I feel like there were actually nearly 30 Gundams in employment during the OYW? I mean there's Amuro's, the Alex, and the ones in use by the 08th MS Team. Because unlike in AGE where Flit hoards Gundam tech to ensure that his lineage will continue its dictatorship over mankind, the Earth Federation actually bothered to produce more than one of its super useful mecha.

So it was never stated that the RX-78 was the only Gundam in the original series, or even origin?

There are I believe 7 rx-78s. Amuros is the rx-78-2. The ground gundam isnt really a gundam, it jist happens to have a gundam head

There are the main ones:

RX-78-1 Prototype Gundam
RX-78-2 Gundam
RX-78-3 G3 Gundam
RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 (G04)
RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 (G05)
RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam
RX-78-7 7th Gundam

There are I believe 7 rx-78s. Amuros is the rx-78-2. The ground gundam isnt really a gundam, it jist happens to have a gundam head

The ground types are definitely Gundams. They have better armor and power output than the GMs and they are part of the RX series and not the RGM series.

There are the main ones:

RX-78-1 Prototype Gundam
RX-78-2 Gundam
RX-78-3 G3 Gundam
RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 (G04)
RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 (G05)
RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam
RX-78-7 7th Gundam

Of course UC has a lot more gundams than just the RX7-78(s).

Wait why isn't the Alex a Gundam? It's got the Gundam head.

It's a Gundam. It's just a prototype MS built specifically for Newtypes, not part of the original RX-78 line. I think it was originally planned to be the RX-78-4, but the release of the RX-78-4 and RX-78-5 master grade kits/Fix Figurations along with their appearance in manga and video games meant it got retconned into being an entirely new unit.

MechaX

At least that's better than "Hey we had a whole totally different White Base and TWO gundams on it! Take that!"

Yeah... that was kinda dumb. I was more accepting of "there was a totally different White Base and a new Gundam with guncannon cannons, but a Zeon team really was badass enough to take it down" than that.

Oh hey, the Gundam Info channel has Z and ZZ dubs this month.

Sweet, I can finally re-watch Z and watch ZZ for the first time.

Edit: I knew there where licensing issues withe the Z openings in the US, but I guess it applies for streaming too :/

But later Gundams in the series aren't part of the RX class, are they?

Well here's the model numbers for the main Gundams:

RX-78-2 Gundam
RX-178 Gundam Mk.II
MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam
MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam
RX-93 Nu Gundam
RX-0 Unicorn Gundam

and here's a few more:

MSA-0011 S Gundam
RX-104 Odysseus Gundam
RX-105 Xi Gundam
MSF-007 Gundam Mk.III
ORX-012 Gundam Mk.IV
ORX-013 Gundam Mk.V

As you can see a few of them start with 'RX', some of them don't.

CorvoSol

Well here's the model numbers for the main Gundams:

RX-78-2 Gundam
RX-178 Gundam Mk.II
MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam
MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam
RX-93 Nu Gundam
RX-0 Unicorn Gundam

and here's a few more:

MSA-0011 S Gundam
RX-104 Odysseus Gundam
RX-105 Xi Gundam
MSF-007 Gundam Mk.III
ORX-012 Gundam Mk.IV
ORX-013 Gundam Mk.V

As you can see a few of them start with 'RX', some of them don't.

I didn't know there were marks III through V of the Gundam. But yeah, the Zeta and ZZ are Gundams without the RX. Of course they're also AEUG models and not EF models. The Turn A doesn't have an RX, but I guess 10k+ is a long time for a single series to continue.

I didn't know there were marks III through V of the Gundam. But yeah, the Zeta and ZZ are Gundams without the RX. Of course they're also AEUG models and not EF models. The Turn A doesn't have an RX, but I guess 10k+ is a long time for a single series to continue.

Mk.III is a Zeta MSV fielded to the AEUG. Mk.IV was in a couple of SD Gundam games and fielded to the Titans. Mk.V was in Gundam Sentinel and fielded to New Desides (Titans Remnants).

What is interesting about ms production numbers is that there is a logic to them. Each faction and company has their own numbering system. I think the titans have the most complicated system.

Of course this only applies to UC timeline. The AUs just put random letters and numbers there

What is interesting about ms production numbers is that there is a logic to them. Each faction and company has their own numbering system. I think the titans have the most complicated system.

Of course this only applies to UC timeline. The AUs just put random letters and numbers there

I'd say the others do make sense.

For example FC's Model Number system goes like this:

[GF13(1)]-[017(2)][NJ(3)][II(4)] - God Gundam

1. Gundam Fight
2. Fighter's Seed
3. Nation
4. Iteration (Only Master Gundam and God Gundam do this)

How does that make sense though? Take the numbers that apply to the iteration of Gundam fight and its seed. Those are variables that change.

CorvoSol

How does that make sense though? Take the numbers that apply to the iteration of Gundam fight and its seed. Those are variables that change.

Makes sense to me. The model number tells me when this mech was made/deployed, by whom it was made, and what version of the model I'm looking at.

Ken

MG build mk2 is looking nice

Trying to decide if I should bother with MG Build Strike FP or hold out for MG SBS.

CorvoSol

So I've started watching Zeta Gundam again, this time in the dub. It's amazing how strong this show started off, considering how out of love with it I felt by the time it ended. Kamille is a lot less offensive the second time around, knowing how he'll turn out and all. I really like Emma too, because of her discovering that the Titans aren't all they're cracked up to be.

There's some hilarious revisionism going on, though. Specifically when the Titans take Kamille's parents hostage and someone remarks "Even Zeon would never stoop that low!" Like, c'mon. Holding somebody's family hostage is pretty much exactly the kind of stuff the Zeon would do.

There's some hilarious revisionism going on, though. Specifically when the Titans take Kamille's parents hostage and someone remarks "Even Zeon would never stoop that low!" Like, c'mon. Holding somebody's family hostage is pretty much exactly the kind of stuff the Zeon would do.

You are in Godwin territory, arguing morality on the scale of Hitler is kind of pointless.

Jaeger

it's just such overkill, and no new design except for the v-fin. i was a little let down.

I love the Astray Red Frame. IMO it's perfection (especially the Kai). And I love the Tactical Arms. With all that said, the reverse red look, with the double tactical arms is awesome, to me. The paint on the example kit is good too (looking at that flat gray fade on the Arms). I'm guessing to kit will be announced soon (what size, though?).

I haven't kept up at all with SEED since the first Astray manga, but I'll def have to get in it as soon as I can.

CorvoSol

You are in Godwin territory, arguing morality on the scale of Hitler is kind of pointless.

Wait what? I don't get what you're saying. All I'm saying is it's silly for the AUEG to think that the Zeon wouldn't kidnap people's families because this is Zeon we're talking about and they sure as hell would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom