• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of Gundam is that both sides are just as bad, only in different ways. I totally believe the Earth Federation would kidnap someone's family too.

Wubby

So want when it comes out :D

18857-2.jpg

I want this too. I have no place to put it though. Sigh... That reminds me I also have the Dragon 1/72 Apollo 11 rocket kit still sitting in it's rather huge box. I bought it knowing it would be hard to find later on.

Also I do wish this had normal legs! Maybe I can hope some Chinese company will make an add-on set or something. Like this:

Speaking of big kits I'm hoping this is a trial/test for Bandai. With the 35th anniversary around the corner and them hinting they are working on a new project, I wonder if we will see 1/35 scale kits sometime in the future.

The point of Gundam is that both sides are just as bad, only in different ways. I totally believe the Earth Federation would kidnap someone's family too.

The Earth Federation was essentially holding Bright's family hostage in Zeta. Not the Titans, but regular military.

OYW era Federation is portrayed as not exactly the best lot of people either.

The Earth Federation was essentially holding Bright's family hostage in Zeta. Not the Titans, but regular military.

OYW era Federation is portrayed as not exactly the best lot of people either.

Not to mention keeping the frickin' hero of the One Year War, Amuro, under house arrest for no reason.

NEO0MJ

Also I do wish this had normal legs! Maybe I can hope some Chinese company will make an add-on set or something. Like this:

Speaking of big kits I'm hoping this is a trial/test for Bandai. With the 35th anniversary around the corner and them hinting they are working on a new project, I wonder if we will see 1/35 scale kits sometime in the future.

Personally I would have preferred if it stuck to its namesake and had no legs/propellant tanks at all, only rocket nozzles/thrusters.
Yes Zeong was originally meant to have legs but that's not how it worked out in the end.
Also, I hope this means that they're considering making kits of Mobile Armors again, even if they're only HGs. I want my Neue Ziel!

Edit: Found this to be pretty funny.

Halfway through part two of the gundam novel and jeez is this thing getting awesome.

some great stuff here. They really go off the rails here.

After amuro kills lalah, he is rescued by a supply freighter making for side 6. The supply freighter is full of zeon spies and is ferrying a newtype named Kusko Al to the flanagan institute. Amuro briefly flirts with her before she insults his pride and he kicks her out of his car.

Eventually amuro is reunited with his crew at the federations base on the moon. The federation had recently taken overt granada. There he is given a new gundam and assigned to the pegasus 2 (the first pegasus is destroyed during the battle at texas. He begins having sexual liasons with sayla (which he describes as somewhat disappointing). There is friction between the two after she asks amuro to kill char though. Amuro doesnt think a sister should want her brother dead.

Meanwhile char is assigned to a newtype unit comprising of himself, chalia bull (who is a fucking bad ass in this version, and kusko al. Kusko is highly emotional and the opposite of lalah. In fact, I think that tomino is trying to introduce the concept that newtypes arent some magical gateway to understandinh. In a lot of ways, she is the predessor to some of the newtype themes in zeta gundam. Oh, and he gets a rick dom too.

The best part to me? You get a better picture of the zeon politics. Gihren is a wobderful villain in the book and the back and forth between him and his father is fantastic. Degwin is portrayed as gihrens puppet, but sometimes manages to use the civillian government headed by the primile minister darcia to undermine his son. Meanwhile kycilia is portrayed as out of her depth and constantly manipulated by char, who is banging her secretary.

Great stuff in here.

I haven't built any Gunpla in a couple of months and am getting that itch. About to buy the Sazabi ver.ka only problem is it's all waterslide decals. Ive never dealt with waterslide decals or I just usually avoided using them in favor of the stickers or rub on ones. Are there any tips on how best to apply them, and if I should buy some kind of solution if so which one? Can I just use water and be alright? Any help is really appreciated . Thanks

SO Gundam Build Fighters 21 was pretty dang awesome, guys.

Gundam Best Fighters 21

The sheer amount of love that must go into working on Gundam Build Fighters makes me absolutely warm and fuzzy. This show is so great. I mean, for reals, guys. This is a wonderful anime. Absolutely love this show. To bits and pieces.

GODDAMMIT. I just got home from work and haven't watched yet.

Ken

Yeah, even if it's a silly show people get too lax on spoiler etiquette. :(

I haven't built any Gunpla in a couple of months and am getting that itch. About to buy the Sazabi ver.ka only problem is it's all waterslide decals. Ive never dealt with waterslide decals or I just usually avoided using them in favor of the stickers or rub on ones. Are there any tips on how best to apply them, and if I should buy some kind of solution if so which one? Can I just use water and be alright? Any help is really appreciated . Thanks

http://kusakusa.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/how-to-apply-decals/

I haven't done waterdecals myself so I can't vouch for it but looking this site up they seem to explain it well?

CorvoSol

Sorry. I waited several hours, I guess I just didn't wait long enough.

Yeah, even if it's a silly show people get too lax on spoiler etiquette. :(

So I don't know that I violated etiquette, though? I could've stuck 'em behind links, I guess, but in other parts of GAF episodes that air today are free game to talk about after they've aired. That's how it works in Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads, so I figured it wasn't out of the question to do it here, since that's how it's done around the rest of the forum?

I guess this situation is a bit different since this is a franchise general thread, not the thread for Gundam Build Fighters. I tend to avoid the OT foe that show because it usually is three days before I get a chance to watch. Bit I still want to talk about gundam so I come to this thread

Ken

So I don't know that I violated etiquette, though? I could've stuck 'em behind links, I guess, but in other parts of GAF episodes that air today are free game to talk about after they've aired. That's how it works in Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads, so I figured it wasn't out of the question to do it here, since that's how it's done around the rest of the forum?

Don't really know how it's done on GAF in general since I don't discuss other shows on GAF.

I'm not upset or anything but I'd hate for something similar to happen with the final match or something especially if I haven't seen the episode yet.

CorvoSol

Don't really know how it's done on GAF in general since I don't discuss other shows on GAF.

I'm not upset or anything but I'd hate for something similar to happen with the final match or something especially if I haven't seen the episode yet.

Well, fair enough. It costs me nothing to not post, after all, haha.

Ezalc

Gundam Build Fighters 21

That was it? They hype up how powerful she is the entire time and that shit was IT!? What a disappointment. The two best fights still are GM Sniper K9 vs Kampfer and Wing vs Star Build Strike in that order. Sengoku Astray and the Quebley were so awful, jesus.

andymcc

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 21

That was it? They hype up how powerful she is the entire time and that shit was IT!? What a disappointment. The two best fights still are GM Sniper K9 vs Kampfer and Wing vs Star Build Strike in that order. Sengoku Astray and the Quebley were so awful, jesus.

how many fights in G Gundam ended with a Shining/God Finger?

Chinner

Banned
i think the format of the show has kind of run its course for me now. its still good, but getting a little dull and uninteresting. they made a good decision only making 25 eps

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because Build Knuckle doesn't have an awesome catch phrase, nor is it fancy enough.

It's the difference between throwing a frisbee and MOON TIARA MAGIC.

Two separate things.

NEO0MJ

Because Build Knuckle doesn't have an awesome catch phrase, nor is it fancy enough.

Two separate things.

Yeah, if Sei and Reiji can come up with something half as awesome as "This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!" before shouting Build Knuckle it might have been more fun to watch it be applied every time. They also need a catchy tune to go along with it.

Beth Cyra

Yeah it's sort of lost on me why the Build Knuckle is bad when God Finger wasn't? It's a finishing move. Of course it's how the fight ends. That's why they call it a finishing move.
Well at least in my case, I hated God Finger and Shinning Finger just as much.

To me it takes away from a fight when something gets to the point of being predictable. I personally lose interest in a fight when the bulk of it is pointless because it comes down to the same tired boring move week after week.

Protag

Banned
Nice, yeah i just got my copy in the mail today, an wanted to read it but wanted tomake sure it was only one.

There were more planned to be made in japan, but whatever publisher that was putting them out at the time, folded after the first stand alone volume

CorvoSol

Two separate things.

Yeah, if Sei and Reiji can come up with something half as awesome as "This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!" before shouting Build Knuckle it might have been more fun to watch it be applied every time. They also need a catchy tune to go along with it.

But as far as it works in the fight, it isn't really that different. I'm not saying that the God Finger isn't cooler, just that Build Knuckle at the end of the fight is all but an homage to Shining/God Finger at the end of Domon's matches, even if it doesn't have its own theme song and catchphrase.

Oh I was looking for something like this when all the talk about the one year war happened. But yeah, gundams all over the damn place. Can't throw a cracker without hitting one.

p8hYI5S.jpg

Ezalc

how many fights in G Gundam ended with a Shining/God Finger?

The problem isn't even ending with the Build Knuckle, I'm fine with that, the problem is that the fight in itself was godawful. They barely exchange blows and then that's it she's beat.

In the other two fights we get these great back and forth moments a bunch of different tactics and varied combat scenarios it's amazing. In both the Sengoku Astray and the Quebley fight that didn't happen and it was just so boring because they're supposed to be really tough opponents, Aila especially.

As for the other topic of the God/Shinning Finger then yes it's so much better than the Build Knuckle. Like others have said part of it is due to the incredible catchphrase Domon said before, then there's the fact that Domon was just a better protagonist compared to Sei and Reiji, and finally because of the kickass fucking music that played when a motherfucker was going to get a God Finger in his face. It's just amazing and sets up the moment everytime that bam time to finish this. Build Knuckle, while cool doesn't have any of that and when it comes after a particularly boring fight it doesn't help it either.

CorvoSol

Oh I was looking for something like this when all the talk about the one year war happened. But yeah, gundams all over the damn place. Can't throw a cracker without hitting one.

p8hYI5S.jpg

All of this in a single year? Jeez.

Also I'm seriously considering getting the QB Papillon after that episode. Haman and the QB are favorites of mine anyway, so I might go for this. But I also want a Zeta and a ZZ. Hmmmmmm.

andymcc

Banned
The problem isn't even ending with the Build Knuckle, I'm fine with that, the problem is that the fight in itself was godawful. They barely exchange blows and then that's it she's beat.

In the other two fights we get these great back and forth moments a bunch of different tactics and varied combat scenarios it's amazing. In both the Sengoku Astray and the Quebley fight that didn't happen and it was just so boring because they're supposed to be really tough opponents, Aila especially.

As for the other topic of the God/Shinning Finger then yes it's so much better than the Build Knuckle. Like others have said part of it is due to the incredible catchphrase Domon said before, then there's the fact that Domon was just a better protagonist compared to Sei and Reiji, and finally because of the kickass fucking music that played when a motherfucker was going to get a God Finger in his face. It's just amazing and sets up the moment everytime that bam time to finish this. Build Knuckle, while cool doesn't have any of that and when it comes after a particularly boring fight it doesn't help it either.

It's just a convention of the super robot genre. sure it gets a little predictable when it's Sei and Iori's fights... but G Gundam was paying just as much homage to shows like Mazinger Z, down to the hot-blooded protagonist that yells at cool catch-phrases while he clinches wins with "Rocket Punch" instead of "God Finger".

Also I'm seriously considering getting the QB Papillon after that episode.

I'm getting mine in the mail today. lol

Enron

Banned
All of this in a single year? Jeez.

Also I'm seriously considering getting the QB Papillon after that episode. Haman and the QB are favorites of mine anyway, so I might go for this. But I also want a Zeta and a ZZ. Hmmmmmm.

Qub Papillon HG kit looks like a giant piece of shit. I don't think i'd waste my money on it.

Beth Cyra

Qub Papillon HG kit looks like a giant piece of shit. I don't think i'd waste my money on it.

This really sucks.

I remember posting when the second episode came out how the QBP was the thing I was looking forward the most. The character ended up being garbage (then again I only like Tatsuya and Ricardo) and now the model looks meh at best.

Ezalc

It's just a convention of the super robot genre. sure it gets a little predictable when it's Sei and Iori's fights... but G Gundam was paying just as much homage to shows like Mazinger Z, down to the hot-blooded protagonist that yells at cool catch-phrases while he clinches wins with "Rocket Punch" instead of "God Finger"

Like I said before, I have no problem with ending fights with the Build Knuckle, even without a catchy tune or awesome catchphrase it's a cool move. The problem is that they end the fight without ever starting one. Aila and Niels were supposed to be amazing fighters but both of their fights were incredibly stale. The choreography was just non-existant and the little of it that there was, was boring.

The exchanges between the Kampfer and the GM Sniper and Wing Fenice vs Star Build Strike were much more interesting, frenetic, dynamic and varied. It was exciting in all stages, not just the flashy conclusions. That was my problem with it, boring fights for opponents who were supposed to be awesome and were hyped up for a long time.

NEO0MJ

The exchanges between the Kampfer and the GM Sniper and Wing Fenice vs Star Build Strike were much more interesting, frenetic, dynamic and varied. It was exciting in all stages, not just the flashy conclusions. That was my problem with it, boring fights for opponents who were supposed to be awesome and were hyped up for a long time.

During the last few episodes it feels like they remove the rifle, shield and Booster from Star Build Strike right from the start and force it to use RG mode.

CorvoSol

During the last few episodes it feels like they remove the rifle, shield and Booster from Star Build Strike right from the start and force it to use RG mode.

I think it's kinda lame to remove the rifle, but removing the shield was inevitable, I think. For as much as RG Mode and Shining Build Knuckle get hated on for being broken, the Absorb Shield and Boost mode are WAY more broken, I think. Like Sei has a shield that literally absorbs all beam weaponry fired at it, and converts it into energy for himself. Strategically it makes sense that every enemy they fight would aim to destroy that shield first.

That said, I hope we get to see it again at least one more time, because the Plavsky Wings with that nifty star box is the whole reason I bought the model, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom