• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

That said, I hope we get to see it again at least one more time, because the Plavsky Wings with that nifty star box is the whole reason I bought the model, haha.
It would be pretty standard storytelling to establish it early on, render it ineffective for most of the tournament and then bring it back after the audience has forgotten about it - like in the event that all the Gunplas have to team up to bring down the Big Bad in a climactic showdown.

CorvoSol

How do you know they're not included. Maybe they're already loaded in and you just can't see them.

hehe

GET OUT OF MY MIIIIIND.

Hardly. If you recall the Absorb Shield only worked on no-name baddies.

Well yeah, because named baddies have names, granting them the brains to realize that taking out the Absorb Shield is like, first priority. Now, if I were to name a second it'd be to remove the Star Build's arms so it CAN'T Build Knuckle after that.

It would be pretty standard storytelling to establish it early on, render it ineffective for most of the tournament and then bring it back after the audience has forgotten about it - like in the event that all the Gunplas have to team up to bring down the Big Bad in a climactic showdown.

True. Sei and Iori will bust it out during the climactic final showdown with Ramba Ral that I secretly pray is the last battle in the show.

CorvoSol

Bought the HGUC Zeta and ZZ. Last models I'm buying for a long time, I swear.
I need a Gunplaholic anonymous support group, I think.

Ken

Well yeah, because named baddies have names, granting them the brains to realize that taking out the Absorb Shield is like, first priority. Now, if I were to name a second it'd be to remove the Star Build's arms so it CAN'T Build Knuckle after that.

Funny enough it was a no-name that figured out Qubuley Papillon's gimmick.

Bought the HGUC Zeta and ZZ. Last models I'm buying for a long time, I swear.
I need a Gunplaholic anonymous support group, I think.

I did like how they appeared in Episode 21 of GBF. I'd been wating for them to appear in it for a while now.

Although
A Red/Orange custom Zeta model is the main mech in one of the photonovels.

NEO0MJ

I think it's kinda lame to remove the rifle, but removing the shield was inevitable, I think. For as much as RG Mode and Shining Build Knuckle get hated on for being broken, the Absorb Shield and Boost mode are WAY more broken, I think. Like Sei has a shield that literally absorbs all beam weaponry fired at it, and converts it into energy for himself. Strategically it makes sense that every enemy they fight would aim to destroy that shield first.

I know, but it's pretty stupid that for three fights straight it could not use one of its main features. At least let it absorb enough to use its attacks one or twice for a short while during the fights. It's especially crazy when you consider how often Qubeley Papillon uses beam weapons. Sure opponents will try to target it but that doesn't mean that Reiji should just let them destroy it. The existence of the shield alone gives them an edge, they don't even have to use it.

Rewatching 00, again. Just as fun and well made as I remember. Still in love with WINDFALL's designs, too.

I'm rewatching it as well, but doing it slowly and only sticking to the first season. Honestly still feels like one of the best Gundam shows to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CorvoSol

I did like how they appeared in Episode 21 of GBF. I'd been wating for them to appear in it for a while now.

Although
A Red/Orange custom Zeta model is the main mech in one of the photonovels.

I think a custom hybrid Z/ZZ Gundam would be awesome. Especially because the ZZZ Gundam is too good a joke to pass up on.

I know, but it's pretty stupid that for three fights straight it could not use one of its main features. At least let it absorb enough to use its attacks one or twice for a short while during the fights. It's especially crazy when you consider how often Qubeley Papillon uses beam weapons. Sure opponents will try to target it but that doesn't mean that Reiji should just let them destroy it. The existence of the shield alone gives them an edge, they don't even have to use it.

Well sure, but that might be asking too much of a Gundam fight. I mean, the ZZ has that super rad cannon on its head but it doesn't use that all that often from what I remember. The shield would've been useful as hell in the fight, but I guess the writers felt that it was best to just get it out of the way so that the necklace could play out.

Jaeger

I'm rewatching it as well, but doing it slowly and only sticking to the first season. Honestly still feels like one of the best Gundam shows to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with ya. Having seen most of the series at least twice, 00 is one of my faves. With that said, why not the second season, if you don't mind me askin'.

00 is my favorite Gundam show. I can see why people don't like the 2nd season due to the Innovators and stuff but it had my favorite suit aka 00 Raiser.

I actually liked the movie for what it was too ;b

Blader

00 is my favorite Gundam show. I can see why people don't like the 2nd season due to the Innovators and stuff but it had my favorite suit aka 00 Raiser.

I actually liked the movie for what it was too ;b

Same. I get what people didn't like about it, but I enjoyed both seasons and the movie.

Just got this bad boy today, and man I was not expecting such a huge box (I'ts a good thing) This is the biggest 1/100 MG box I've ever seen, so many sprues this is gonna be a fun weekend. I doubt I'll get it done over the weekend but man I'm really excited to get it started. :D

The box is almost the same size as the full armor and Sinanju's combined.
jbmXTxguazSVpY.jpg

jA6Qtxkh81cz3.jpg

Subxero

Just had these delivered Monday . I hadn't built any before. I happened across this thread and thought I would share some pics.

I finished one of the HG and one of the RG. The detail on those are crazy for the size. There are a few others I'm tempted to order but I'm going to work through some of these first.

12962562185_de6134bc85_b.jpg

12962763183_03e5453ded_b.jpg

12962634165_899765d187_b.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Building my first Gunpla in like, 14+ years. Pretty much like doing it for the first time because I was a child the last time I did it and don't remember much. WIP of the M1 Astray.

iZE51fgD811Z2.JPG

ib2mwbhHo0ujFy.JPG

Having problems cutting close with my exacto knife. I think it's just my technique. Some parts are really close to the runners though, I try to cut the runner itself if my nippers are too close so I can make a more accurate second, finer cut but it's still ends up putting a ton of pressure on the joint and distorting it a bit.

I'm trying to figure out what the Gundam model is that I had when I was a kid. I think it was a Heavyarms variant, but I can't seem to find hit searching around. It was a dark grayish black, with either white or gray accents, I think it's chest opened up to reveal two circular chain guns and maybe even had a chain gun for the arm. Anyone know what it could have been called?

Ken

I'm trying to figure out what the Gundam model is that I had when I was a kid. I think it was a Heavyarms variant, but I can't seem to find hit searching around. It was a dark grayish black, with either white or gray accents, I think it's chest opened up to reveal two circular chain guns and maybe even had a chain gun for the arm. Anyone know what it could have been called?

Heavy Arms Kai/Custom probably.

There's an MG of Heavy Arms EW (not the one you're looking for most likely) here: http://www.hlj.com/product/ban973903/Gun
AFAIK these are the only kits of the Heavy Arms Kai.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN59767/Gun
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN61210/Gun

Subxero

Having problems cutting close with my exacto knife. I think it's just my technique. Some parts are really close to the runners though, I try to cut the runner itself if my nippers are too close so I can make a more accurate second, finer cut but it's still ends up putting a ton of pressure on the joint and distorting it a bit.

The RG I did had a lot of parts that I had to make two snips to free. I was afraid of using a hobby knife to trim the nubs. I bought some super fine sanding sticks. I gently go over them until they're smooth. It really helps some of the smaller parts fit together better.

I agree with ya. Having seen most of the series at least twice, 00 is one of my faves. With that said, why not the second season, if you don't mind me askin'.

This damn thread has really soured me on the second season. I remember enjoying it but looking back I really don't want to go through all that nonsense with the innovators and the focus shifting from geopolitics to Marina Ismail again. And from what I remember the conclusion to S1 was really good.

mr.rager

Been meaning to post my Gundam models for a while now.

All I need is the ver. Ka MG Sazabi and Banshee Norn if they make one and I'm good. Char's Zaku also has his own personal stand but haven't gotten around to building it (too lazy) even though it only takes like 10 mins lol. It's been 1 year since I bought it!

:edit:

sorry bout the shitty quality, phone pictures!

Zerojul

Been meaning to post my Gundam models for a while now.

All I need is the ver. Ka MG Sazabi and Banshee Norn if they make one and I'm good. Char's Zaku also has his own personal stand but haven't gotten around to building it (too lazy) even though it only takes like 10 mins lol. It's been 1 year since I bought it!

:edit:

sorry bout the shitty quality, phone pictures!

Awesome selection, and the little pilot SD figs are a very nice touch :)

Have there been any clues regarding which Metal Build is coming next? I'm hoping for the Quanta, since that would round out all of Setsuna's mobile suits (I already own the Exia, Exia Repair, and the Tamashii Web Shop version of the 00 Raiser).

Beth Cyra

Honestly I want it to be anything but Quanta, Setsuna has had more then enough love in the Metal Builds.

Would like to see Strike Freedom since Freedom and Destiny are out. My main hope is Unicorn and then Banshee.

Honestly I want it to be anything but Quanta, Setsuna has had more then enough love in the Metal Builds.

Would like to see Strike Freedom since Freedom and Destiny are out. My main hope is Unicorn and then Banshee.

Unicorn and Banshee already have Fix Figuration Metal Composites. I highly doubt they'll ever get Metal Build versions, since the FF versions are already completely accurate to the lineart, made of metal, and the same scale as the Metal Builds. It would be a total waste for those to come to the Metal Build line IMO.

I really want the Quanta...then they can move on to other non-OO stuff. :)

Beth Cyra

Unicorn and Banshee already have Fix Figuration Metal Composites. I highly doubt they'll ever get Metal Build versions, since the FF versions are already completely accurate to the lineart, made of metal, and the same scale as the Metal Builds. It would be a total waste for those to come to the Metal Build line IMO.

I really want the Quanta...then they can move on to other non-OO stuff. :)

As Destiny shows, they aren't locked to only following the line art with the Metal Build line.

They can easily give Unicorn and Banshee a unique look that sets them aside from the FF, and frankly given my hatred of OO It would be nice to have something else besides more jerking off of Setsuna.

Between the Metal Builds and Extreme Vs I'm so sick of the bastard that I nearly hate him as much as Shinn.

Jaeger

The Metal Build Destint is beautiful. I mean I never cared for that design ever, until I saw the Metal Build figure.

It's obvious Kunio's lines weren't use. What is the story behind the line? It's not Katoki, either.

Beth Cyra

The Metal Build Destint is beautiful. I mean I never cared for that design ever, until I saw the Metal Build figure.

It's obvious Kunio's lines weren't use. What is the story behind the line? It's not Katoki, either.

I have no idea who did the MB Destiny. I don't believe it's Katoki, the only thing he has ever done for SEED as far as I know was the Fix Figuration Strike and Perfect Grade Strike Freedom.

Jaeger

I have no idea who did the MB Destiny. I don't believe it's Katoki, the only thing he has ever done for SEED as far as I know was the Fix Figuration Strike and Perfect Grade Strike Freedom.

Just read in a product description that Tomo Shigeta was brought in to personally oversee the project. Still don't know who actually did it, though. :/

As Destiny shows, they aren't locked to only following the line art with the Metal Build line.

They can easily give Unicorn and Banshee a unique look that sets them aside from the FF, and frankly given my hatred of OO It would be nice to have something else besides more jerking off of Setsuna.

Between the Metal Builds and Extreme Vs I'm so sick of the bastard that I nearly hate him as much as Shinn.

Well, you have to keep a few things in mind. First off, the Banshee FF Metal Composite came out only a month ago. Second, Katoki's lineart almost never gets messed around with (I say almost because maybe there's an instance I don't know about, but I've never seen his lineart get revised by another artist for a model/figure - I mean, the guy has toy lines named after him!). Third, Okawara's lineart almost always DOES get changed around for plastic models, figures, toys, etc. Look at the Seed Master Grades.

All that said, I highly doubt there will be FF Metal Builds of either of the two Unicorn Gundams. Personally, I am not a fan of Seed an consider the Seed Metal Builds to be a waste of time, so I just avoid those and keep my fingers crossed. Despite your hatred of Setsuna, just think - if the Quanta comes out, there's no more Setsuna mecha left to release, which means they'll have to move on to something else.

I assume they'll do the Strike Freedom at some point, but after that, I bet they'll move on to another series. I'd like a Turn A Metal Build, thought that'll probably never happen. Maybe it'll be Wing Gundam or one of its variations.

Feorax

Anyone got any experience with the Proto Wing Zero MG kit?

My old WGZC MG is looking a bit worse for wear now after several years and a couple of moves, and I could do with something to go with my MG Epyon. It'll either be Proto Zero or Tallgeese I think.

Seed and Seed Destiny killed off a lot of characters, but it ended up bringing like three quarters of them back to life... one of the reasons I'm really not a fan of that show.

I actually liked Shinn Asuka and thought Destiny would be a really interesting follow-up to Seed. I don't know what happened after the first five or six episodes or so, though. I suspect that the writers didn't really have a clear outline of what to do with the show other than "follow the broad strokes of Zeta" and ended up bringing back the original series cast either because of the fandom or because of a directive from Bandai execs.

Thought it was so stupid that Shinn would make very similar decisions to what Kira did in the original series, but where Kira was praised for it, Shinn was lambasted. And even though Seed had a ridiculous number of recap episodes, those episodes at least featured a little new content. Seed Destiny had a ridiculous number of filler episodes that didn't move the plot forward in any way.

Anyone remember the fossilized 'space whale' from Seed? Imagine if the sequel had dealt with something like that...I actually liked how 00 handled introducing aliens into the Gundamverse, even if A wakening of the Trailblazer wasn't a particularly good movie.

Beth Cyra

Anyone got any experience with the Proto Wing Zero MG kit?

My old WGZC MG is looking a bit worse for wear now after several years and a couple of moves, and I could do with something to go with my MG Epyon. It'll either be Proto Zero or Tallgeese I think.
I just finished Proto a few weeks ago actually.

It looks amazing when completed. Seriously might be the best version of Wing when it cones to colors and shelf presence.

Thing is its a very simple build, with very little inner detail. So its clear the kit was meant to be shown with its armor on at all times.

One thing I will say is its a very sturdy kit. Outside of the weak stomach the thing is rock solid and easily handles all its gear. TG1 on the other hand has more then a few minor issues even if I do love it.

SEED got pretty bloody. Stargazer is pretty violent!

I'll have to rewatch SEED again, but I'm not a fan of the characters.

Seed and Seed Destiny killed off a lot of characters, but it ended up bringing like three quarters of them back to life... one of the reasons I'm really not a fan of that show.

I actually liked Shinn Asuka and thought Destiny would be a really interesting follow-up to Seed. I don't know what happened after the first five or six episodes or so, though. I suspect that the writers didn't really have a clear outline of what to do with the show other than "follow the broad strokes of Zeta" and ended up bringing back the original series cast either because of the fandom or because of a directive from Bandai execs.

Thought it was so stupid that Shinn would make very similar decisions to what Kira did in the original series, but where Kira was praised for it, Shinn was lambasted. And even though Seed had a ridiculous number of recap episodes, those episodes at least featured a little new content. Seed Destiny had a ridiculous number of filler episodes that didn't move the plot forward in any way.

Anyone remember the fossilized 'space whale' from Seed? Imagine if the sequel had dealt with something like that...I actually liked how 00 handled introducing aliens into the Gundamverse, even if A wakening of the Trailblazer wasn't a particularly good movie.

Luckily I didn't watch Destiny or 00.

OO was pretty good. It did a decent job of being a post 9/11 gundam series. There were four factions at the start and theyre all pretty interesting. Season 2 dwelves into some silly stuff and almost becomes a z gundam ripoff, but its still one of the better aus.

The movie is pretty strange. I cant say I reccomend it, but it was an okay watch. If you finish season 2, you might as well check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom