• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on this. I didn't watch the movie though, because I don't want aliens in my Gundam, but that's just me.

Well, they were hinting at the idea that Celestial Being had been created to unite humanity in preparation of the dialogues that were to come with alien life forms all throughout the series so I thought the movie was the inevitable conclusion. And I was glad the aliens weren't just humans with pointy ears like in Star Trek but actually truly alien.

CorvoSol

Im a minority, so it really should be taken with a grain of salt but I thought OO was awful.

I did too, but at my most unbiased, unvitriolic I would say:

00 stops at season 1 for me.

This right here. I think the first season of 00 is something worth people's time, and while I think the first few episodes of S2 are okay, I really wouldn't recommend S2 and beyond as a whole to anyone.

Gundam ZZ 02

Might as well try to finish off UC.

ZZ is my favorite part of UC. I kind of enjoyed that it was quirky and goofy and laid back after Zeta's second half.

CorvoSol

What's wrong with Zeta's second half? I found it to be pretty good. And the ending was well executed.

Yeah the ending executed
basically everyone
real well. I didn't like it for numerous reasons. I saw the English dub so I'm rewatching it in Japanese now to see if I can't change my opinion of it. Among the things I didn't like, though: Reccoa Londe's character falling apart; security on the Argama becoming a joke to the point where every episode some angsty teen stole a mecha until finally it got someone killed; Katz' pathetic feelings for Sarah; Katz; Sarah Zabiarov; the fact that nobody ever explained why Poptarts Sriracha was supposed to be so charismatic beyond "Oh he's a Newtype so it just makes him that way."; Poptarts in general; The huge "FUCK YOU FOR LIKING ANY ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS" that was the ending; that somehow the human race had decided that it was okay to bend over and take it from Char Aznable; that Char's character felt less and less like a character the more and more the plot placed focus on him; "Gravity weighing down souls" is still one of the stupidest ideas in Gundam; and to be honest, I kind of felt there was no need for Rosammy since we'd already seen her entire character arc with Four.

How much of that is fair I don't know, which is why I'm rewatching the show, to see if I can't change my opinion of it. It just felt that, as a rule of thumb, the cooler Kamille got, the worse the show got.

Your feelings regarding Rosammy might have been shared by Tomino, since he cut her out entirely from the New Translation version of Zeta. I personally liked her.

CorvoSol

Your feelings regarding Rosammy might have been shared by Tomino, since he cut her out entirely from the New Translation version of Zeta. I personally liked her.

I didn't dislike her, I just didn't really feel there was much point to her. She's sort of a weird stepping stone between Puru and Four, and Kamille was already knee-deep in ladies at that point.

I don't know, I have to rewatch everything before I can make good cases for how I felt about anything, because I really do feel like I was unjustly harsh on Zeta at the time.

NEO0MJ

the fact that nobody ever explained why Poptarts Sriracha was supposed to be so charismatic beyond "Oh he's a Newtype so it just makes him that way."; Poptarts in general; The huge "FUCK YOU FOR LIKING ANY ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS" that was the ending; that somehow the human race had decided that it was okay to bend over and take it from Char Aznable; that Char's character felt less and less like a character the more and more the plot placed focus on him; "Gravity weighing down souls" is still one of the stupidest ideas in Gundam; and to be honest, I kind of felt there was no need for Rosammy since we'd already seen her entire character arc with Four.

Heh, Poptarts. I have to admit you have a few good points there. Maybe I should watch it myself, it's been ages since I last watched this or the original Gundam.

CorvoSol

Heh, Poptarts. I have to admit you have a few good points there. Maybe I should watch it myself, it's been ages since I last watched this or the original Gundam.

I think when I finish rewatching Zeta I'll be able to give it a more fair shake. I still like parts of it. After Kamille is tied with Judau for 2nd best UC Gundam protagonist (nobody beats Tobia Arronax), the Zeta Gundam is possibly my favorite Gundam design, Emma Sheen is probably one of the few well-written female characters in UC Gundam, and I'm sort of split on Four Murasame. I tend to like the characters based on her, but some of 'em blow.

I doubt I'll be changing my opinion of Katz and Sarah, though.

Andrew J.

Optimus Rococo definitely needed more fleshing out. He seems inexplicably popular in Japan even without it, though. Wasn't he potentially the final boss in SRW F Final?

Palpatine because I can't spell his name went on my shit list
after he mindfucked Kamille at the end of Zeta.

Asshole was a sore loser who did more damage then he should have.

CorvoSol

Palpatine because I can't spell his name went on my shit list
after he mindfucked Kamille at the end of Zeta.

Asshole was a sore loser who did more damage then he should have.

Palpatine is probably one of the better female villains in the series. I like the way she manipulates Jesus and King Arthur.

Jaeger

Loved 00 as a whole. Season 2, and the film. I'm of the minority, when I don't like my AU shows to be complete retreads of UC series.

Managed to build him in a couple of hours today, will panel line and try applying water decals for the first time tomorrow.

Sorry for the bad pics, took them with a potato
jABqV1REr0Eq5.jpg

Size Comparison.

Anyone built the MG Exia? Thinking about just cancelling RG Exia and going for the MG version.
I might bail on the RG Exia as well. The MG Exia seems solid. There's even a 1/60 out there which doesn't seem too bad.

Edit: Cancelled my pre-order. MG Exia Ignition Mode looks so much better, might get that one sometime in the future.

Beth Cyra

Anyone built the MG Exia? Thinking about just cancelling RG Exia and going for the MG version.
I own all three major OO MG's.

I would say Exia is the worst because of the well documented ankle issues. However they are pretty great aside from that, the only other problem is the normal compromise of having LED in the chest.

Hey guys!

I'm thinking into entering the world of Gunpla but I suck at anything that involves manual skills. I've heard that some kits are easier to assemble (is that the right word?) than others but I don't want an ugly model. Is a MG model easy enough for a beginner?

I'm no expert in Gundam but I did enjoy 00 and I'm watching Build Fighters and G Gundam. I also remember remember watching some random episodes of Gundam Wing (only Gundam show to have been aired on Brazil). If you guys have any Gunpla suggestions from those series, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

NEO0MJ

Hey guys!

I'm thinking into entering the world of Gunpla but I suck at anything that involves manual skills. I've heard that some kits are easier to assemble (is that the right word?) than others but I don't want an ugly model. Is a MG model easy enough for a beginner?

I'm no expert in Gundam but I did enjoy 00 and I'm watching Build Fighters and G Gundam. I also remember remember watching some random episodes of Gundam Wing (only Gundam show to have been aired on Brazil). If you guys have any Gunpla suggestions from those series, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there. If you've never built a model kit at all then I suggest you pick up an HG kit, the newer the model the better. Go to Dalong and check out the HG page and 00 page (but focus on the high grade section only in 00) of the site and see if there's any model you like. After you find a few you like ask the guys here about how good that model is.

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

Apparently 00 kits are some of the best for beginners. Great posability, rather simple to build and there's nothing too crazy about them.
My first model was the 00 Seven Sword but that thing is kind of too nuts for its own good. Still, it got me into building.
If I had to do it again I'd go with the Exia Repair II, this simple 00 or the Qant and put more care into building it.

Also make sure to get plastic nippers, a hobby knife and a gundam marker for panel lines.

Beth Cyra

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

MG's traditionally aren't where you want to start when it comes to ease.

However they've really toned doen select newer MG's and made them very easy for beginners.

MG Gundam X
MG Wing Gundam Proto Zero
Mg Anything Age.

However I would still recommend an HGUC or two first.

The issue with Build Fighters is that many of us feel the quality has gone down between it and tge All Gundam Project. Still they are pretty good and have most color separation.

I can recommend Wing Gundam Fenice and the Meteor hopper.

When it comes to OO I only own 1 HG from the line, and its pretty good (OO Seven Sword/G). I wouldn't recommend a OO MG for a first timer though.

NEO0MJ

If I had to do it again I'd go with the Exia Repair II, this simple 00 or the Qant and put more care into building it.

Also make sure to get plastic nippers, a hobby knife and a gundam marker for panel lines.

I bought the Exia Repair II as a gift for a friend (he really loves that one) who has never built a model kit before and it came out pretty well, even though he didn't panel line it.

CorvoSol

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

I'm sort of a beginner myself and I tend to stick to the High Grade line. It normally only takes me an hour or two to assemble a kit, and the parts are normally okay to put together. Although I did build one kit where two pieces broke before I'd even finished assembling it (had to rush glue that thing, haha).

But I don't do painting or panel lining, cuz I'm a scrub.

If you loved 00 and you want to go really crazy, the 1/60 scale Exia is very easy to assemble (like a High Grade model) is really accurate to the lineart, and looks massive and cool when you're done with it. ;)

Beth Cyra

Awesome

Didnt know that the kits came with figures of the pilots.
Master Grades often come with 2, a standing and one you put in the cockpit. Some come with more like Unicorn HD + MS Cage comes with 5.

RG's come with a standing pilot figure but not one for the cockpit.

Ken

I might bail on the RG Exia as well. The MG Exia seems solid. There's even a 1/60 out there which doesn't seem too bad.

Edit: Cancelled my pre-order. MG Exia Ignition Mode looks so much better, might get that one sometime in the future.

I own all three major OO MG's.

I would say Exia is the worst because of the well documented ankle issues. However they are pretty great aside from that, the only other problem is the normal compromise of having LED in the chest.

Hm, well I shot AmiAmi an email seeing if they'll cancel my pre-order. MG 00 Raiser seems to be getting restocked this month at HLJ so might pick one up there. That or Quanta. I'm personally into the Exia and Quanta designs, but the person I play EXVS with plays a ton of 00 Raiser so it'd be a neat model to have around lol.

It makes very happy to see all this 00 love! :D <3

00 Raiser is my favorite suit out of all Gundam series.

Anyways I was watching the last episode of Gundam Seed Destiny since it was up on YT.

Still terrible but I laughed when
Kira pulls out a gun and Rey ends up shooting Gilbert in the end but the gun has a bullet. I mean Gundams and mook suits all have massive weapons of laser destruction. They can't make a star wars style blaster? lol

Anyways I was watching the last episode of Gundam Seed Destiny since it was up on YT.

Kira pulls out a gun and Rey ends up shooting Gilbert in the end but the gun has a bullet. I mean Gundams and mook suits all have massive weapons of laser destruction. They can't make a star wars style blaster? lol

I like the Exia more than the 00 Raiser, but they are both awesome designs.

Regarding Destiny. That part made zero sense. It was obvious they only did it so
Jesus Yamato wouldn't kill someone.

Ezalc

Out of all the suits in 00 I only liked the Dynames, Cherudim to a lesser extent, and the 0 Gundam just for being a throwback. Everything else was meh, especially Setsuna's units after the Exia.

Out of all the suits in 00 I only liked the Dynames, Cherudim to a lesser extent, and the 0 Gundam just for being a throwback. Everything else was meh, especially Setsuna's units after the Exia.

I dug the Dynames as well. Was also a fan of all the grunt units from season 1, especially the spindly-limbed Flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom