• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dozel has like no personality in the show or the movies. At least the book gives him some.

He had much less time in the novel. All you see of him is that he's rash, and boneheaded and fights on the front lines with his men.

You get that in the show as well, but you also get the portrayal of him as being a loyal family man.

They really screwed up by
having Dozle die by stupidly getting prideful because the Pegasus ignored Solomon, and chasing after the ship with part of his fleet.
. The Solomon stuff was much cooler in the show

Barnes and Noble is getting into the Gunpla business.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-stores-nationwide-to-sell-gundam-model-kits

That seems like a really weird and random combination.

To bad all the Barnes and Nobles in my area closed a couple years ago. There are some hobby shops around here that carry gunpla but their way overpriced. The Gundam novel you guys are talking about, is it the same as the new re release harcover Gundam the Origins books? Have the first four books but havent had time to start them yet.

To bad all the Barnes and Nobles in my area closed a couple years ago. There are some hobby shops around here that carry gunpla but their way overpriced. The Gundam novel you guys are talking about, is it the same as the new re release harcover Gundam the Origins biiks? Have the first four books but havent had time to start them yet.

No. Gundam: The Origin is a manga drawn by the original character designer for the first Gundam series, Yasuhiko Yoshikazu. It originally ran in Gundam Ace magazine from 2001 until 2011. Vertical has been publishing an English release since March 2013.

The novel we've been talking about lately, which I recently completed, was written by Yoshiyuki Tomino, who was the director of the original series (and many other shows/movies in the franchise). The book was originally published in 3 parts, from 1980 until 1981. The first novel came out right before the series originally ended, while the last book came out right before the release of the first Compilation movie. It's quite different from every other version of the One Year War story (which is longer than one year in the novel). Also worth mentioning is the fact that the novelization was the very first english-released piece of Gundam media, being first released in 1990

No. Gundam:he Origin is a manga drawn by the original character designer for the first Gundam series, Yasuhiko Yoshikazu. It originally ran in Gundam Ace magazine from 2001 until 2011. Vertical has been publishing an English release since March 2013.

The novel we've been talking about lately, which I recently completed, was written by Yoshiyuki Tomino, who was the director of the original series (and many other shows/movies in the franchise). The book was originally published in 3 parts, from 1980 until 1981. The first novel came out right before the series originally ended, while the last book came out right before the release of the first Compilation movie. It's quite different from every other version of the One Year War story (which is longer than one year in the novel). Also worth mentioning is the fact that the novelization was the very first english-released piece of Gundam media, being first released in 1990

Thanks for the info, gonna try and read the original before starting Origin.

I think I'm finally done with Sazabi Ver. Ka, or at least with what I'm willing to do to it. Maybe in the future I'll try my hand at actually painting a kit some day. This was also my first time dealing with water slide decals only, and they were really easy to apply. I'll take water slides over stickers or dry decals from now on. Anyways here's some pics.
Edit: I think I'm gonna buy that cool looking green LED for the mono eye.

What he looked like right after putting him together.
jbgn7e3gwLC8ay.jpg

This is right after doing some panel lining( I'm not that good at it).

Last one of him with the water slide decals applied.

NEO0MJ

I think I'm finally done with Sazabi Ver. Ka, or at least with what I'm willing to do to it. Maybe in the future I'll try my hand at actually painting a kit some day. This was also my first time dealing with water slide decals only, and they were really easy to apply. I'll take water slides over stickers or dry decals from now on. Anyways here's some pics.

That looks real good for an OOB kit.

duckroll

I have the old Turn-A and Turn-X 1/144 kits, Would not recommend at all if you're expecting an actual quality kit of any sort. They're very simplistic and crummy. I only got them cause we were visiting a Gundam store in Japan while on vacation ages ago, and they were just a couple of bucks. I remember building them when we got back in the hotel for fun.

They are getting ready to release a new HGCC Turn A Gundam as part of the "All Gundams" Project. You might as well wait for that. Probably 1000x better than some crappy NG that was released during Turn A's run

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN989480/Gun

never mind the lack of colors in their product page. That figures just a prototype. The actual release will be up to standards with modern HGs

Enron

Banned
They are getting ready to release a new HGCC Turn A Gundam as part of the "All Gundams" Project. You might as well wait for that. Probably 1000x better than some crappy NG that was released during Turn A's run

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN989480/Gun

never mind the lack of colors in their product page. That figures just a prototype. The actual release will be up to standards with modern HGs

The most modern of HGs, the Unicorn HGs, are mind-blowingly fantastic. They are about on par with Master Grade from the early 00s in a 1/144 scale package. If the Turn A is going to be like that, definitely wait.

I think the cutoff is around 2005-2006. Pretty much any kit made after 2006 is pretty damn good. Before then, it's hit or miss. There ARE good kits released before then, but they really stepped up their game around then. Any kit made in the last few years is amazing

duckroll

Wait. They're selling a single piece of plastic as a separate accessory?

I don't.

It's actually a few pieces of plastic, and it's more expensive than the kit itself because the wings are clear parts with holographic coating. It's definitely a premium bonus thing for hardcore kit builders, and not something for the mass market.

http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000003502/
http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/item-1000087315/

It includes the left and right wing, joint parts for the Turn-A's back so the wings are adjustable, and a stand for posing the kit in flying positions.

d03joJJ.jpg

CorvoSol

It's actually a few pieces of plastic, and it's more expensive than the kit itself because the wings are clear parts with holographic coating. It's definitely a premium bonus thing for hardcore kit builders, and not something for the mass market.

http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000003502/
http://p-bandai.jp/hobby/item-1000087315/

It includes the left and right wing, joint parts for the Turn-A's back so the wings are adjustable, and a stand for posing the kit in flying positions.

d03joJJ.jpg

So that's 17 bucks just for the accessory, right? Not the accessory and the model?

CorvoSol

I should go look up how much I paid for the Star Build Strike's Universe Booster, cuz I'm sensing a pattern here. But at least the booster is a little ship in addition to the nifty gold star.

I mean a Turn A with the Moonlight Butterfly wings is a model I'd love to have.

But I can't shell out for that. I mean, I was wondering if I could afford the crummy 5 buck one, haha.

Ken

I should go look up how much I paid for the Star Build Strike's Universe Booster, cuz I'm sensing a pattern here. But at least the booster is a little ship in addition to the nifty gold star.

I mean a Turn A with the Moonlight Butterfly wings is a model I'd love to have.

But I can't shell out for that. I mean, I was wondering if I could afford the crummy 5 buck one, haha.

Universe Booster also has the blue wing parts. So much value!

CorvoSol

I edited my post. We're talking about the Master Grades right?

No, I'm talking High Grade. I looked it up and the HG does come with the Wings

So HLJ is doing a thing right now with some manner of sale on HG kits. I bought 2 2 days before the sale, and now I'm wondering if I should cancel and rebuy them to see if that changes things for me.

Ken

No, I'm talking High Grade. I looked it up and the HG does come with the Wings

So HLJ is doing a thing right now with some manner of sale on HG kits. I bought 2 2 days before the sale, and now I'm wondering if I should cancel and rebuy them to see if that changes things for me.

Ah, I have that same kit but I haven't built it yet.

I was confused when you said

I should go look up how much I paid for the Star Build Strike's Universe Booster,

because I forgot they made a standalone HG Universe Booster too, and then was trying to think of a Star Build Strike kit without wings and couldn't come up with anything (because there's only the HG SBS and that has Plavsky Wings right in the name). Confusion cleared! @_@

---

Interesting promotion but I need to save my munies for MG Unicorn and 00 stuff. D:

duckroll

I gotta say, as overpriced as it is, the Moonlight Butterfly accessory looks really awesome on the HGCC Turn-A. On display at the HK toy fair today:

6K69Z27.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom