• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

ep 22 was where shit got real. and people got slapped... a lot.

I'm pretty sure the imouto drama gets even realer in a couple of episodes. I remember there was a specific episode where suddenly the goofy gang of misfit teenagers dicking around in giant mecha aspect ended rather abruptly and stuff started getting real.

About the Butterfly, I think I'll wait to get the Turn A until its on sale, and maybe I'll pick up the wings then if I've come into a bit of burnable cash. In the meantime I have to stop blowing cash on Gunpla.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
9SSdDu9.jpg

Looks pretty good. The shield sword looks much better than the MG one which was far too offset from the arm.

Protag

Banned
Got my unicorn damashii today, very satisfied. It looks even better, and is taller than the RX-0 interestingly enough.

Now i understand when someone said here that the size isnt always consistent.

Very very awesome though, worth it

Destroy mode is ntd mode. Destroy mode is taller than normal mode.

And yeah the unicorn is bigger than than the rx 78 2. I think like 3 meters bigger

Protag

Banned
21.7 meters (destroy mode unicorn) vs 22.6 meters (sinanju)

the modes are destroy and unicorn mode btw

Got it, thanks

Ive been making these term mistakes im so tired, but want to know these things

How tall is Nu gundam (damashii)

redhairedking

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good kit for a complete beginner? I was looking at the RG Aile Strike as that seemed relatively straightforward.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't know what the RG Aile Strike is like personally, but I know the RG line is known for (and intended to be) more complex, up to Master Grade level.

I would pick a suit you like then find the latest HG version of it.

redhairedking

I don't know what the RG Aile Strike is like personally, but I know the RG line is known for (and intended to be) more complex, up to Master Grade level.

I would pick a suit you like then find the latest HG version of it.

Thanks! It looks like there is a 2014 HG release of the Aile Strike and it's pretty cheap so I might go with that

redhairedking

I think I am going to go with the new HG Aile Strike. God only knows when I'll have time to build it, but I'll post the results when I do get around to it.

Beth Cyra

Yeah actually with Wing being smaller than Exia lol. The smallest Gundams around are the SD Gundams followed by the G Gundam suits I believe.

Yeah Exia and OO as a whole are standard size Gundams at 18 Meters tall, same as RX-78-2.

For sizes your looking at something like this

Victory 15m
Crossbone/F91 - 15/16
G Gundam - 16 (though they tend to stretch out G Gundam when released in other lines to bring God and Shining closer to the 18 meter mark.)
Wing - 16.7
X - 17
SEED, OO, AGE, 0079, SM, 08th Team - 18
Turn A, Zeta, ZZ, Unicorn, and CCA - between 20-22
Hathaways Flash - whatisthisshit.jpg Xi and Penelope Gundam 28m Freaking tall.

Hey, guys? Is it cool if I post my first finished "gunpla-like" model kit here, even though it's an Evangelion, to see what you guys think of my first attempt?

Also, finally got the local store to stock some Star Build Strike models, so that's gonna be my next one~

CorvoSol

Hey, guys? Is it cool if I post my first finished "gunpla-like" model kit here, even though it's an Evangelion, to see what you guys think of my first attempt?

Also, finally got the local store to stock some Star Build Strike models, so that's gonna be my next one~

Well I think it's cool. There's also the Mecha OT, too.

Ken

Given the amulet discussion on the last page, I don't think anyone will get upset over EVA kits.

Well I think it's cool. There's also the Mecha OT, too.
Mecha OT? I didn't see anything like that. My bad! -_-
Given the amulet discussion on the last page, I don't think anyone will get upset over EVA kits.
Heh, fair enough!
Well, here's my build of the Mass-Produced Evangelion as my first introduction into plastic model kits. It was a rather interesting experience, for sure. I'm excited to try out more of these types of kits. They're definitely more interesting than the vehicle ones I did before. >.>

Jaeger

Gundam 00 Season 2 is even better than I remember it. Can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.

About to get started on Ep 13. That
Satallite Laster Weapon
is so evil, I swear.

True. But those shows arent the most accessible to be honest. At least abroad. Most shows that are worth a damn either werent released here, or were butchered. Importing them costs a fortune. Piracy is an option, but a lot of classics have bad subtitles (we're talking hong kong quality)

A lot of people dont want to watch shows older than the 90s as well. So really, classic mecha is pretty niche, which is a shame since therw are some great old school shows. Either way, it amounts to the mecha topic largely being ignored.

Beth Cyra

True. But those shows arent the most accessible to be honest. At least abroad. Most shows that are worth a damn either werent released here, or were butchered. Importing them costs a fortune. Piracy is an option, but a lot of classics have bad subtitles (we're talking hong kong quality)

A lot of people dont want to watch shows older than the 90s as well. So really, classic mecha is pretty niche, which is a shame since therw are some great old school shows. Either way, it amounts to the mecha topic largely being ignored.
I need some 70's fans up in here damn it.

Great Mazinger, Getter G, Grendizer, hell old school Z. Cant handle this Shin stuff, or at least freaking give me a Shin Great and Grendizer or after the very least Neo Getter.

CorvoSol

Yep, and modern mecha doesn't even have the popularity of other genres with western fans.

It doesn't help that modern Mecha is rarely as good. Nobunaga the Fool and Buddy Complex were both so bad I dropped 'em early on. I enjoyed Valvrave, MJP, and Gargantia for what they were, but Build Fighters is the only one I feel super hyped about the actual mecha.

Great Mazinger, Getter G, Grendizer, hell old school Z. Cant handle this Shin stuff, or at least freaking give me a Shin Great and Grendizer or after the very least Neo Getter.

So I've actually been watching old Getter and old Mazinger (along with UC Gundam, Macross and VOTOMs) and while I find them interesting, I dunno, I confess that I don't find them as appealing. I mean, MSG and Do You Remember Love are great, but in both Getter and Great Mazinger there's been like, 10 episodes between the two that were really special. The rest I have a hard time really digging into.

I was a sucker for Shin because I can't hate nothin' by the guy who gave me G Gundam.

Beth Cyra

It doesn't help that modern Mecha is rarely as good. Nobunaga the Fool and Buddy Complex were both so bad I dropped 'em early on. I enjoyed Valvrave, MJP, and Gargantia for what they were, but Build Fighters is the only one I feel super hyped about the actual mecha.

So I've actually been watching old Getter and old Mazinger (along with UC Gundam, Macross and VOTOMs) and while I find them interesting, I dunno, I confess that I don't find them as appealing. I mean, MSG and Do You Remember Love are great, but in both Getter and Great Mazinger there's been like, 10 episodes between the two that were really special. The rest I have a hard time really digging into.

I was a sucker for Shin because I can't hate nothin' by the guy who gave me G Gundam.

I would have been okay with Shin if they didnt suck off Koji fans. Same issue with Kaiser.

Great and Grendizer both did new things and introduced new characters and allowed them to shine. Its sad how they buckled and just keep giving Koji new lead OP suits just because he was the original.

There's some hope next season with Captain Earth though. That looks pretty good to me so far.

SkyOdin

I actually like Buddy Complex. It has some silly stuff in it, but it does a lot of stuff well. It is nice to see a Gundam-style mecha series that doesn't take place in space and where beam weapons aren't just a straight replacement for guns. Most of all, it actually makes aerial battles over ocean interesting. Aerial battles over ocean were my absolute least favorite form of battle in Gundam SEED, but by making the mecha more resemble aircraft in design and movement, Buddy Complex has some entertaining aerial battles.

CorvoSol

There's some hope next season with Captain Earth though. That looks pretty good to me so far.

Yeah, fingers crossed on that one.

I would have been okay with Shin if they didnt suck off Koji fans. Same issue with Kaiser.

Great and Grendizer both did new things and introduced new characters and allowed them to shine. Its sad how they buckled and just keep giving Koji new lead OP suits just because he was the original.

Isn't this exactly the reason Char's Counter Attack even exists?

I actually like Buddy Complex. It has some silly stuff in it, but it does a lot of stuff well. It is nice to see a Gundam-style mecha series that doesn't take place in space and where beam weapons aren't just a straight replacement for guns. Most of all, it actually makes aerial battles over ocean interesting. Aerial battles over ocean were my absolute least favorite form of battle in Gundam SEED, but by making the mecha more resemble aircraft in design and movement, Buddy Complex has some entertaining aerial battles.

Well, maybe I'll come back to it, but it felt too Gundam for me at the time so I cut it.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, fingers crossed on that one.

Isn't this exactly the reason Char's Counter Attack even exists?

Well, maybe I'll come back to it, but it felt too Gundam for me at the time so I cut it.

Sort of?

Making Amuro the lead again makes sense in that a Gundam can be built by anyone and Amuro is an ACE in anytime during UC.

Kyoji pilots Mazinger Z and nothing what-so-ever that came from this plant should be able to stand up to Space Alloy Gren (Grendizer). Also they let Amuro die and haven't brought him back in 5 different shows like they have Kyoji.

A single movie to give closure to Amuro (and the bullshit Char) is alot different then forcing Kyoji down people throats to the point he actively steals the enemies from his successors show (Great Mazinger's villains becoming Mazin Kaisers).

To be the same, CCA would have needed to have brought back Poptarts, completely act like Kamile and Zeta wasn't good enough to kill him so they needed Amuro to get Nu Gundam and take care of the shit.

That's really unfortunate for them as the genre peaked in the 80s and has been on a decline ever since.

That not 70s, that's just Dynamic Pro. Might as well lump Cutie Honey in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom