• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Had fan reaction been better, it may have come to pass but I doubt it.

If there was a third thing to go with Origin and SEED then I believe it would be OO.

Yes, I know you're not really serious about the Wing thing. Though I'm not sure how that would prove they didn't learn anything from Build. I've enjoyed the fights and stuff, but i do no want Gundam to focus on shit like Build going forward.

What I'm saying is that if they went with Frozen Teardrop, it would throw away everything Build Fighters has shown Gundam is able to do with its characters, because Frozen Teardrop can't even keep Wing level of writing.

Beth Cyra

What I'm saying is that if they went with Frozen Teardrop, it would throw away everything Build Fighters has shown Gundam is able to do with its characters, because Frozen Teardrop can't even keep Wing level of writing.

Neither could Unicorn Novels with UC stuff. It's turned out great for many people, and proves that Novels even as a base shouldn't be expected to be the same level as an anime production.

Ken

Can't believe people here are trash-talking my beloved Gyan. :(

i3kPFlFEzcc0s.png

CorvoSol

Neither could Unicorn Novels with UC stuff. It's turned out great for many people, and proves that Novels even as a base shouldn't be expected to be the same level as an anime production.

Wait I don't understand. Unicorn is actually better than a lot of UC stuff. It's better than Victory and CCA for starters.

duckroll

Can I get an animated Crossbone, and Hathaway's Flash, please?

Not likely. They wouldn't really make money for Sunrise, and the resources could be put into so many other things which would be more popular and profitable, and more importantly - stuff which fits into their business plan for the next few years.

CorvoSol

Man I wish we could get Crossbone just so we could have that scene where Tobia is like "FUCK NEWTYPES FOREVER," then tells God to back off and let him win the fight on his own.

Tobia Arronax is such a boss.

Beth Cyra

You guys say this like somehow the serious Gundam shows are the good ones and the wacky ones are the bad ones.

At least to me they are.

Unlike most people on this board I think G Gundam is one of the worst, and while stuff like Fenice, Ricardo, and Tatsuya are cool I don't actually like Build Fighters either.

Also it's not about personal taste really. Unicorn is doing numbers that are unlikely to ever be met by Gundam again. SEED/Destiny are the biggest new series since Zeta and even OO was and remains incredibly popular. All of these are serious, at least more so then G and something like Crossbone and what continue to drive people to Gundam.

Beth Cyra

You're not seriously using Destiny to support an argument of "Serious is better than goofy" are you?

Better/worse isn't important.

Whats popular and drives sales is. Kira and Gundam SEED do this, more so then anything from the more light hearted shows (ZZ, G, and Beginning Builders) so those are the shows that Bandai will rightly focus on.

CorvoSol

Better/worse isn't important.

Whats popular and drives sales is. Kira and Gundam SEED do this, more so then anything from the more light hearted shows (ZZ, G, and Beginning Builders) so those are the shows that Bandai will rightly focus on.

What does popularity have to do with anything at all? It certainly has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Ezalc

Things I hope it'll be:
Gundam Crossbone anime
G Gundam 7th Fight anime
G Gundam 14th Fight anime
Gundam Origin

In that order. None of those except the last will happen though.

Beth Cyra

What does popularity have to do with anything at all? It certainly has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

It was more calling out people asking for shit like Crossbone, it won't happen and I'm grateful it won't because I really don't want more "wacky" Gundam..

Only 1 has ever managed to be good. So I much rather them go back and try something serious.

And as for you question of me using Destiny.

Yes, I would take Kira sections of Destiny of the nonsense that is G Gundam.

I'm all for light hearted Gundam. Gunpla Builders and Build Fighters are awesome. I just can't imagine throwing Crossbone into the existing animated Universal Century, and this is coming from someone who likes Crossbone.

duckroll

usNDafl.jpg

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1403/20/news110.html
http://mantan-web.jp/2014/03/20/20140320dog00m200040000c.html

Gundam - Reconguista in G is Tomino's new project. They didn't say exactly that it's a TV series, but it probably is. It'll start in Fall 2014. The character designer is Kenichi Yoshida, who worked on Gainer with Tomino, and later on Eureka 7. It's a sequel to Universal Century, set in the next calendar system - リギルド・センチュリー (Rigild Century?). Yuugo Kanno is composing the music.

G-Reco trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_kQZLb64E
G-Reco site: http://g-reco.net/

Gundam the Origin is a 4 part theatrical event project similar to how Gundam Unicorn was released. The first part is "The Blue-eyed Casval", and will open in Spring 2015. The story for the animated Origin is going to follow the story of Char and his sister Artesia, so it's probably only covering one portion of the Origin manga instead of being a full remake of 0079.

Origin trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMo9sV_T-c
Origin site: http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/

duckroll

My reaction to the announcements right now is that I'm really, really happy about G-Reco because it has 2D mechs, really nice looking designs, and I'm a huge fan of Yoshida characters and Akiman mechs. On the other hand, I feel really sorry for hardcore UC fans who were really looking forward to a huge full remake of 0079 in the form of Origin. Instead all they're getting is the Char and Sayla arc in Origin, animated in a really slow form of theatrical OVAs like Unicorn, and with really ugly looking CG mechs to boot.

I guess you win some and you lose some.

On the other hand, I feel really sorry for hardcore UC fans who were really looking forward to a huge full remake of 0079 in the form of Origin. Instead all they're getting is the Char and Sayla arc in Origin, animated in a really slow form of theatrical OVAs like Unicorn, and with really ugly looking CG mechs to boot.

You have no idea how much it hurts right now......

There isn't enough curse words in the english language to properly voice my opinion of sunrise/bandai/wtfever right now.

TheRancor

LOL Origin's CG mechs and it's partial adaption. XD

Interested in G-Reco but wary of Tomino. Looking forward to Yugo Kanno composing but hopefully/probably the heavy synth music in the trailer is just a mockup.

My reaction to the announcements right now is that I'm really, really happy about G-Reco because it has 2D mechs, really nice looking designs, and I'm a huge fan of Yoshida characters and Akiman mechs. On the other hand, I feel really sorry for hardcore UC fans who were really looking forward to a huge full remake of 0079 in the form of Origin. Instead all they're getting is the Char and Sayla arc in Origin, animated in a really slow form of theatrical OVAs like Unicorn, and with really ugly looking CG mechs to boot.

I'm a huge fan of Overman King Gainer and Turn A Gundam, so I'm hyped about G-Reco. I'm sure it will be great.

I'm also a huge 0079 fan, so I'm slightly disappointed about The Origin not being a full-fledged TV series, but I understand why that might not have been feasible. One of the main draws of Origin is the side story stuff, most of which disrupts the flow of the main story. That works in manga, but I can't imagine it working in a TV show - "here's Amuro fighting in the One Year War, but now for the next five episodes well have an extended flashback to Char'a childhood!" This means we'll get four episodes, each one about sixty minutes long, which means the length of a ten or twelve episode series. Not too shabby. And aside from the CG mecha (and Unicorn used CG as well, so it might just be a mix of 2D and CG), the animation looks lovely. And we'll see the Origins of the Zabi family, the assassination of Zeon, and undoubtedly a young Ramba Ral and his father helping Casval and Artesia. This might even mean a recasting of Sayla's voice actress, which would be wonderful, since the character has been sadly missing from all the video game spin-offs based on the original series.

Overall, happy about the announcement!

duckroll

G-Reco has really interesting staff revealed on the trailer.

Chief Director: Yoshiyuki Tomino

Character Design: Kenichi Yoshida

Mecha Design: Akira Yasuda, Ippei Gyobu, Kimitoshi Yamane

Design Works: Shigeto Koyama, Kinu Nishimura, Gouda Cheese (Bengus), Pablo Uchida, Takumi Sakura, Ayumi Kurashima

Color Design: Nobuko Mizuta
Art Design: Tomoaki Okada

Music: Yugo Kanno

What's interesting to me is that there's a really nice variation in the designers. Koyama and Kurashima are both designers who have worked extensively with BONES, Nishimura and Bengus are oldschool Capcom dudes, and I think Pablo Uchida is a freelance web artist of some sort? The color designer and art designer both work with BONES a lot too. It's nice to see Tomino work with a wild range of talent.

Design Works: Shigeto Koyama, Kinu Nishimura, Gouda Cheese (Bengus), Pablo Uchida, Takumi Sakura, Ayumi Kurashima

What's interesting to me is that there's a really nice variation in the designers. Koyama and Kurashima are both designers who have worked extensively with BONES, Nishimura and Bengus are oldschool Capcom dudes, and I think Pablo Uchida is a freelance web artist of some sort? The color designer and art designer both work with BONES a lot too. It's nice to see Tomino work with a wild range of talent.

Oh shit, Nishimura and Bengus? :O With Akiman, they have the Capcom Trinity working on the project! Hype!

Man, Yugo Kanno is getting some high profile work right now. JoJo's Stardust Crusaders, G-Reco and presumably the next Psycho Pass as well, I'd hope.

duckroll

Oh shit, Nishimura and Bengus? :O With Akiman, they have the Capcom Trinity working on the project! Hype!

Yeah I won't be surprised if Akiman pulled Nishimura and Bengus into the project, while Yoshida pulled the BONES folks. Those are some really clear connections.

Man, Yugo Kanno is getting some high profile work right now. JoJo's Stardust Crusaders, G-Reco and presumably the next Psycho Pass as well, I'd hope.

Yeah this is certainly his best week in terms of anime announcements ever. The noitaminA conference is tomorrow too, so he could really get a third announcement in a week.

TheRancor

I guess it's too much to hope for BONES doing an outsourced episode like in Overman King Gainer is there? Considering they have a busy year. Wasn't Yoshida complaining earlier this year it was hard to find guys cause they were all working on Space Dandy or something? lol

duckroll

I guess it's too much to hope for BONES doing an outsourced episode like in Overman King Gainer is there? Considering they have a busy year. Wasn't Yoshida complaining earlier this year it was hard to find guys cause they were all working on Space Dandy or something? lol

If it's a 26 episode series or longer, I wouldn't rule it out at all. It's only starting in Fall, and by then pretty much all of the BONES shows this year will be done. I can see them doing a later episode just for old times sake.

I like how Tomino's last two Gundams will have had the most non-Gundam looking main mecha in the series. The G-Reco Gundam (if that's even what it's called) looks nothing like one, and neither did the Turn A, other than the color scheme. :)

muteki

I was hoping for a full on 0079 series with Origin but a Char/Sayla prequel is so compelling I think that makes up for any disappointment. Hopefully they don't make us wait a year between episodes like Unicorn.

G Reco is kinda out there but I was expecting that. Tomino + Future UC is okay by me however it ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom